Descending
Limit Results:

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older

Re: Samsung sued by an idiot
Feb 12, 2008, 00:38
Re: Samsung sued by an idiot Feb 12, 2008, 00:38
Feb 12, 2008, 00:38

That's what he gets for choosing a format that wasn't finished.

Re: PS3 Fingers Crossed
Feb 10, 2008, 20:54
Re: PS3 Fingers Crossed Feb 10, 2008, 20:54
Feb 10, 2008, 20:54

In short, my point was not that the PS3 doesn't currently have any decent games that are exclusive, but that it lacks enough titles that are AAA sellers. Halo 4, if released, is a guaranteed multi-million seller, regardless of the content. The same holds true for God of War, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Grant Turismo, and a number of other famous Playstation 1 & 2 brands.

Since you asked about 360 exclusives, I'll take a moment to do a comparision of 360 versus PS3 exclusives. My process is to use the respective IGN site to locate the game (based on a search of games rated 8 & 9 by IGN, because I had to draw the line somewhere), and then present the press averages from gamestats.com (linked in the IGN review). The numbers in parentheses following the rating is the number of reviews the press average is based on. Please let me know if I've missed any worthwhile exclusives or reported any scores incorrectly (I'm doing the list quickly). I've left off reader review scores, due to the sheer amount of people that rate games exceptionally poorly or well based on grudges or other stupid reasons, without having played the game. If you want to go through and compare reader scores, be my guest. I've eliminated all games that couldn't manage a press average of 7.5 or higher. For purposes of the comparison, "exclusive" means available on one of the two consoles, but not the other. Finally, the lists do not include games available only via download through the system's respective networks.

The list of "good" (but not necessarily AAA) exclusive titles on each system:

PS3
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 8.9 (44)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 8.9 (35)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 8.7 (54)
Resistance: Fall of Man - 8.8 (48)
Unreal Tournament 3 - 8.2 (20)
Folklore - 7.5 (29)
MotorStorm - 8.4 (49)
Warhawk - 8.4 (37)
Ridge Racer 7 - 7.5 (28)

BioShock - 9.5 (58)
Halo 3 - 9.4 (68)
Mass Effect - 9.2 (47)
Gears of War - 9.5 (56)
Forza Motorsport 2 - 8.9 (41)
Project Gotham Racing 3 - 8.8 (55)
Condemned: Criminal Origins - 8.2 (60)
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage - 7.8 (26)
Burnout Revenge - 8.7 (39)
Ace Combat 6 - 8.1 (26)
Project Gotham Racing 4 - 8.5 (32)
Prey - 8.0 (50)
Dead Or Alive 4 - 8.7 (64)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe - 7.5 (17)
The Darkness - 8.3 (47)
Eternal Sonata - 7.7 (28)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - 8.0 (46)
Viva Pinata - 8.8 (33)
Saints Row - 8.2 (48)
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - 7.8 (19)
Perfect Dark Zero - 8.1 (70)
Kameo: Elements of Power - 8.0 (52)
Dead Rising - 8.4 (52)
Command & Conquer 3 - 8.1 (27)
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth II - 8.1 (32)
Tomb Raider: Legend - 8.1 (30)
Test Drive Unlimited - 8.1 (42)
Hitman: Blood Money - 8.3 (35)
Peter Jackson's King Kong - 8.0 (65)
Need For Speed Most Wanted - 8.2 (54)
Crackdown - 8.3 (46)

So there you have it. The PS3 clearly does have some strong exclusive titles. However, there is not yet a single PS3 title that has managed to score 9.0 or above in the average press ratings, while 4 360 games have. There are 9 PS3 games you can't find on the 360 that score 7.5 or above in press ratings, while there are 31 360 games that you can't find on the PS3 that score above a 7.5.

Personally, I don't consider games rated in the 7 and low 8 range to be AAA in quality, but as you said, it's subjective (and I've thoroughly enjoyed titles with much lower ratings).

Feb 10, 2008, 03:20
Re: PS3 Fingers Crossed Feb 10, 2008, 03:20
Feb 10, 2008, 03:20

Personally, there isn't a released title in that list I'm going to buy a PS3 for.

Anyone who buys any console just for one game needs to have their head examined. No single game is worth spending $400+ on .

Fair enough, let me clarify.

There aren't enough exclusive titles I'm interested in on the PS3 right now to make it worth it for me to buy it. As you said yourself, you're crazy to buy a system for only one game. Since I'd be pressed to find even one exclusive PS3 game out now that I'm dying to play, I'm holding off on buying the console until we see Final Fantasy, MGS, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc. Then I'll be able to justify the purchase, and I'll avoid the psychologist as well.

Feb 10, 2008, 03:08
Re: PS3 Fingers Crossed Feb 10, 2008, 03:08
Feb 10, 2008, 03:08

So tell me you two brainiacs which of these titles still needs to be released that aren't AAA and didn't do well for Sony...

So tell me brainiac, where did I say those 5 titles weren't released, not AAA, and didn't do well for Sony?

What I did say was that he (CrimsonPaw) most likely was saying that there aren't enough exclusive titles available for the PS3 right now, and as a result your list consisting mostly of games coming out later this year or in 2009 wasn't addressing his complaint that there isn't enough right now.

Now if you're paying attention, you'll notice I said "I believe what he meant" instead of "He's right, the PS3 has no AAA titles right now" You'll also notice I said most of your list hasn't been released, instead of there's nothing on your list that's out now.

At no point did I say the 5 games your revised list mentions are not AAA titles, not released, or didn't sell well. I only said I wouldn't buy the console for them.
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 03:10.

Feb 9, 2008, 00:54
Re: PS3 Fingers Crossed Feb 9, 2008, 00:54
Feb 9, 2008, 00:54

I believe what he meant was that the PS3 doesn't yet have an exclusive AAA title that's released.

Most of your list consists of titles that are coming out eventually (presumably), but are not available right now. As interesting as some of those titles are, I'm not buying a PS3 to play a game that isn't out yet. I'll wait the potential year or more some of those titles will probably take to get released in the US and pick up the system for $50 or even $100 less than I could now.

Personally, there isn't a released title in that list I'm going to buy a PS3 for.

64-bit
Feb 5, 2008, 13:03
64-bit Feb 5, 2008, 13:03
Feb 5, 2008, 13:03

I think quite possibly the best reason to upgrade to Vista is for the 64-bit capabilities. Yes, there is XP 64, but it doesn't have the driver support of Vista 64. All Vista certified drivers are required to be available in 64 bit as well as 32 bit versions. XP has no such requirement, so xp 64 driver support tends to be weaker.

For the record, I run Vista Home Premium 64, because with 4gigs of system ram and 2 640mb 8800s in SLI, 32 bit systems can't address all the memory - and I've confirmed this in XP, Vista 32 bit and Knoppix - I show up with about 2.75 gigs usable system memory. Therefore I have to run a 64 bit OS, and it's not going to be XP 64.

Re: No subject
Jan 8, 2008, 14:43
Re: No subject Jan 8, 2008, 14:43
Jan 8, 2008, 14:43

It's amazing to me that for all the bitching on the Internet about DRM and copy protection, people seem so happy the HD disc format with the most copy protection is the victor.

There are two things keeping me from being happy with the Blu-ray win:

1. The additional copy protection which goes above and beyond the levels of DVD and HD-DVD. This has already caused some movies to be unplayable in players that didn't support the updated copy protection format. Neither DVD nor HD-DVD had me worry whether a disc would play in my player; Blu-ray does.

How happy are you going to be when you buy the latest Blu-ray release and sit down with your family for movie night, only to discover the powers that be won't let you play it because your copy protection is out of date. Before you say all it takes is an update, you're assuming that an update is actually available. If your manufacturer doesn't release an update or your player can't be updated, you'll have to buy a new player if you want to watch the movie. Of course you won't find out it doesn't work in your player until you put the disc in, and once the package is opened, good luck returning it for a refund.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071007-new-blu-ray-discs-with-bd-drm-failing-to-play-on-some-devices.html

2. Blu ray still has not settled on a final specification. It's great they updated the specification to support the level of features that HD-DVD has always had, but I'm not thrilled about buying a Blu-ray player until they have a final spec out, because it could be outdated in weeks or months. If your player doesn't support the latest spec, you're not going to be able to enjoy all the special features on the disc. Both DVD and HD-DVD had set specifications from the start, so this was not an issue. Hopefully Blu-ray will finalize with the 2.0 spec, but I'm not holding my breath.

Downloadable content
Jan 6, 2008, 12:54
Downloadable content Jan 6, 2008, 12:54
Jan 6, 2008, 12:54

I agree with JM on this; I don't see downloadable content being "the thing" in the near future. Aside from the points JM mentioned, hard drives don't have anywhere near the lifespan of a disc. If instead of DVDs we had gone with downloadable content, all the original hard discs used to store the movies would have died by now. What happens when providers take an itunes approach and give you one download of the content, and if it gets erased or lost, that's it? Will your settop box let you swap out the hard drive when it dies? If so, are you sure there will be a way to copy the data between the drives? (because you know there will be DRM on it, and in the case of the DVRs I've used, you can't just swap hard drives between the units, as they can't read data encrypted by another unit, including of the same model).

Downloadable music is one thing. You can cut out the fat of the tracks you don't want, and at the same time you're not missing anything because all the disc contains are music tracks. DVDs have not only the movie itself, but offer subtitles, additional audio tracks, additional endings, behinds the scenes footage, and other extras. Will downloadable content include these?

I'll direct you again to the itunes store. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is $15 to download, doesn't come with any of the special features of the DVD, and if you delete it by accident, your hard drive crashes, or the file becomes corrupt, you're going to be buying the download again. Oh and of course if your computer isn't authorized for the account that bought the movie, you won't be watching it either. Last time I checked, I could play a DVD on nearly any computer with a DVD drive and decoder software.

Jan 5, 2008, 20:24
Re: No subject Jan 5, 2008, 20:24
Jan 5, 2008, 20:24

Both BRD and HD-DVD (and DVD for that matter) are 'infested' with DRM (although HD-DVD is surprisingly not saddled with region locking), so that point is moot.

Both systems have AACS DRM. However, Blu Ray has an additional layer of DRM on top of that called BD+. I don't think anyone will argue with me that more DRM is not a benefit for the consumer, and you can see by this link it has already caused problems: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071007-new-blu-ray-discs-with-bd-drm-failing-to-play-on-some-devices.html

And of course as you mentioned, Blu-ray has region encoding, while HD-DVD does (did) not.

...and a DVD player that you bought at release day will still play DVDs you buy today.

Correct, while many Blu-ray profile 1.0 players bought on release day won't support the latest Blu-ray profile 1.1 features. Presumably you'll still be able to play the movie however, assuming your manufacturer provides a firmware update for you every time Blu-ray updates its DRM.

I'd suggest anyone considering buying a non-PS3 Blu-ray player to wait a bit while they iron out what codecs/features/DRM version they are going to use, because it's possible the player you buy won't be fully-functional for future titles.

Dec 28, 2007, 00:22
Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 00:22
Dec 28, 2007, 00:22

If Americans feel so strongly about their right to bare arms (their gun laws), how can you say other should not be aloud nuclear weapons? You have them don't you?

I think this falls in the same category as driving laws. You can't drive a car unless you reach a certain maturity and prove you have basic driving skills, but provided you do this, you're free to own and drive a car. It's a similar concept with nukes. If a country wants nuclear capability, then they need to prove that they are both stable and secure enough to handle the responsibility.

I fear the day America has fully remote control tank/planes/ships and could goto war with out losing any lives. When I say lives I mean American lives because althought America says "Freedom for All" what the seam to mean is freedom for all americans (Blacks now Included) to exploit any non-americans to keep their way of life alive while other are not aloud the same freedom.

Contrary to popular belief, the American populace doesn't sit around all day planning which country they want to attack next. Even if war could be waged without the loss of a single American life, most people aren't going to want a war just for the hell of it.

Guitar Standoff Comes Down to Money
Dec 21, 2007, 00:34
Guitar Standoff Comes Down to Money Dec 21, 2007, 00:34
Dec 21, 2007, 00:34

I don't understand why Activision feels they would be owed money if Harmonix patched Rock Band to allow the use of GHIII guitars. The guitars were already bought and paid for by the consumer; it's not as if Activision is handing out free guitars with the understanding they will be used only for GHIII.

Re: A terrible thing
Dec 20, 2007, 12:14
Re: A terrible thing Dec 20, 2007, 12:14
Dec 20, 2007, 12:14

I second that.

Also, I'm not seeing the link to MK based on the article. I didn't see any reference to the bastards playing it before they decided to beat on the little girl, nor do I remember most of the things they did to her being in MK (bodyslamming? pinching thighs? cracking an egg in her mouth? slapping her butt? and WTF is a back kick?)

No doubt the kids will get off easy on this one. After all, it's not their fault they're drunks with no respect for life; it's society, their parents, the teacher who gave them a bad grade on their report, and those terrible video games that screwed them up. With any luck, they'll be out in a few years to cause more trouble.
This comment was edited on Dec 20, 12:15.

No subject
Dec 20, 2007, 01:20
No subject Dec 20, 2007, 01:20
Dec 20, 2007, 01:20

Realistically, I don't think this will come out for the 360/PS3 because consoles don't have an infinite shelf life. The 360 launched 2 years ago, and it's feasible that we could see a new Microsoft console launch in 3 years or so, and another Playstation wouldn't be far behind. After that, the 360 and PS3 only have maybe 5 years at best. This leaves only 8 years more development time, meaning DNF would need to be more than 50% complete right now for it to be feasible as a 360/PS3 title, and even then that's going to be pushing it.

Based on this, I'm guessing 3DR is going to aim to have this be a title for the next gen systems that should be released around 2010 or 2011. This would allow them to release the game in 2017, just in time for the 20th anniversary of the game's announcement.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 01:21.

Gamestop to S&P 500
Dec 17, 2007, 14:28
Gamestop to S&P 500 Dec 17, 2007, 14:28
Dec 17, 2007, 14:28

The amazing thing about the article is not the content, but that they took a picture of 4 people in a video game store, and they were all female.

Re: Oh yeah!
Dec 17, 2007, 14:23
Re: Oh yeah! Dec 17, 2007, 14:23
Dec 17, 2007, 14:23

Their first title: Tony Hawk's World of SonicCraft

Re: DNF
Dec 16, 2007, 21:26
Re: DNF Dec 16, 2007, 21:26
Dec 16, 2007, 21:26

I find that DNF provides a great boost of confidence when you're down. No matter what you've done with your life in the past decade, you've probably got more to show for it than the developers of DNF.

Some highlights of what has been accomplished in less time than DNF has taken, courtesy of http://duke.a-13.net/

- The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.

- The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.

- The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.

Events occurring during the development of DNF:

- All 3 Star Wars prequels, all 3 Lord of the Rings movies ( including extended editions), and all 3 Matrix movies were filmed, released to theaters, and are now on DVD.

- Google was incorporated, growing from a two-person company with a net worth of next to nothing to employing 16,000 people and being worth billions.

- The Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, and PSP were all released.

- Blizzard released Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, and WoW, including expansions for all of them.

- Half-Life, Half-Life 2, plus all their expansions and mods

- Black Isle was formed, released seven titles and was shut down

- Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, and XII have all been released
This comment was edited on Dec 16, 21:30.

Re: Headcrab hat.
Dec 16, 2007, 00:02
Re: Headcrab hat. Dec 16, 2007, 00:02
Dec 16, 2007, 00:02

I still want that hat, but still sold out. Bleh!

This one? http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/productshowcase_HL2HeadCrabHat!.html

It's not showing sold out for me.

Dec 16, 2007, 00:01
Re: No subject Dec 16, 2007, 00:01
Dec 16, 2007, 00:01

I'll buy an Aperture Labs mug in a heartbeat if they can post how much it holds. Anything under 14oz is a waste of a trip to the coffee pot.

I think you'll be disappointed then. Looks to be the standard 6oz mug size.

No subject
Dec 14, 2007, 00:40
No subject Dec 14, 2007, 00:40
Dec 14, 2007, 00:40

I'll give credit to Derek for this move. As has been pointed out, it's not as if every publisher and/or developer does this.

Fox News taught me logic
Dec 11, 2007, 14:38
Fox News taught me logic Dec 11, 2007, 14:38
Dec 11, 2007, 14:38

I have it on good authority that every single person who has ever committed a crime was in fact addicted to oxygen. I believe it is long past the time that we get serious about regulating this obviously dangerous substance that has lead to so much pain and suffering. Even worse, water has been shown to be directly responsible for numerous deaths each year, yet we continue to allow it to flow freely into our homes and workplaces every day.

The time for us to act is NOW! Please write your congressman and ask him to support the regulation or outright ban of these dangerous substances. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for the children!

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older