Total Posts
283 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older

If/when this game is cancelled..
Jul 23, 2004, 20:54
If/when this game is cancelled.. Jul 23, 2004, 20:54
Jul 23, 2004, 20:54

...I'd like to be the first person to make the joke "Let's have a moment of silence for The Moment of Silence."

(Yes I live a sad life);)

Derek Smart's Problem
Jul 15, 2004, 22:36
Derek Smart's Problem Jul 15, 2004, 22:36
Jul 15, 2004, 22:36

For those wondering (such as #14), the problem with Derek Smart (ok, just one of many problems with Derek Smart), is that he keeps adding content to his games without making sure any of it is quality.

Case in point: Universal Combat. The game aimed to simulate ground combat, space combat, sea combat, air combat, and probably some forms of combat not yet conceived. In theory, this could be awesome -- a game where you could be a grunt in a halo-style situation, a space combat pilot like freespace, fighter pilot like any of a number of flight sims, and so on. Yet, all the sections were pretty bad, most likely because he tries to include so much stuff that he apparenty has neither the time nor resources to do a good job with any of it.

We already saw him state plans to do this with Freespace. He's ready to model the interior of all the ships, add ground combat, and undoubtedly add plenty more unneeded junk that will take his focus away from making a decent space combat game. I'd also like to mention Universal Combat is supposed to have a learning curve of over 20 hours. Compare this to how long it took you to learn the last space combat game you played.

If this doesn't bother you, let's again look at Universal Combat. Say you want to focus on ground combat (fps style gameplay). First, you have to pick which one of twelve races you want to play as. Next, you have to decide which class you want to play as. Being a Derek Smart game, there can't just be a 'space marine' type, there has to be seven different types of marines. Would you like to be a mobile infantry marine, elite force marine, assault force marine, recon force marine, engineering corps marine, medical corps marine, or space force marine? You're still not done yet. Now you get to pick which base on which planet you'd like to be stationed at. Then you pick which assets your character has access to. Then you select your gear. Finally you get to select a scenario you'd like to play (if applicable). He's already thrown in far more options than Half-Life, Halo, Doom or any fps I can think of has had, and this is only a small fraction of the whole game.

In short, Derek's the kinda guy who would have added an option to select the type of battery you wanted to use in your flashlight in Doom 3 or Half-life.

Re: No subject
Jul 15, 2004, 18:32
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 18:32
Jul 15, 2004, 18:32

From what I've read on various boards over the last two days, it seems the biggest concern is not whether PC Gamer finished Doom, but whether they played the final version. I mean if the game just went gold, how has PC Gamer managed to have a review the day of (or even before) Doom went gold? It took them well over a month after E3 for their E3 report, afterall.

I suspect their answer would be something to the effect of they reviewed a near-final game and "id assures us the differences between it and the final version are minimal/unimportant/negligible."

PS3 for $500
Jun 22, 2004, 18:22
PS3 for $500 Jun 22, 2004, 18:22
Jun 22, 2004, 18:22

I know I remember reading about Sony planning 2 versions of the PS3. One was the standard no frills console much like the current design of the PS2, while the other was a "server" version (I think that was their terminology) that had the TIVO features and all that sort of thing.

Let's give Sony a little credit here; they know (or darn well should) consoles don't sell worth crap above the $300 price point. They'd be crazy to release the standard version above that.

Re: GMail
Jun 17, 2004, 20:39
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 20:39
Jun 17, 2004, 20:39

I originally got my invitation to join gmail back with the initial round of invites to active Blogger.com users from google itself. This was back in mid/late April. I don't use gmail a ton yet, but that's only because I haven't switched over mail from my other accounts so far. Gmail is my favorite though.

It seems like google's method of expanding gmail is just to keep giving people more and more invites. I started with 2, used those, then got 3 more and then 3 more on top of that a week or so later, give or take. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of you get the option to invite people in the next few weeks yourself. It'll show up as a red link right next to the "Create a filter" link.

Jun 17, 2004, 20:09
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 20:09
Jun 17, 2004, 20:09

And congrats to tron for getting the last invite! Thanks to everyone who played our game. The remaining contestants will get the home version of our game.:)

In other news, next time google drops some invites on me, I'll make a post in whatever the current OotB may be.

Edit: if/when I get more invites, I'll hold one for you, Bronco.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 20:12.

Jun 17, 2004, 20:03
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 20:03
Jun 17, 2004, 20:03

earthworm, you're good to go.... odds are it'll end up in your spam folder, like complicity said

1 invite left.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 20:04.

Jun 17, 2004, 20:01
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 20:01
Jun 17, 2004, 20:01

one more for me? pwease?

Well, since you said please

And now we're down to 2 invites left.

Jun 17, 2004, 19:51
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 19:51
Jun 17, 2004, 19:51

Sounds cool... could you chuck one in this direction?

Haha... consider it chucked.

3 still left.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:52.

Jun 17, 2004, 19:46
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 19:46
Jun 17, 2004, 19:46

Your invite is on the way. Complicity said his invite ended up in his spam folder, so you may want to check there if you don't see it in your main folder reasonably soon.

Ok, 4 invites still left....

Jun 17, 2004, 19:27
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 19:27
Jun 17, 2004, 19:27

And no, that's not a joint account between me and nin, thank you very much.

You and nin have an invite headed your way :D.

Anyone else interested? Google keeps throwing invites at me like there's no tomorrow. I've got 5 invites remaining at the moment, and I swear it seems like they give me a few more each day (they've given me 8 total so far).

Jun 17, 2004, 19:15
Re: GMail Jun 17, 2004, 19:15
Jun 17, 2004, 19:15

I was wondering... does anyone here have a gmail account and could invite me to join the beta? if so, please let me know, thanks.

Sure, what email address do you want me to sent the invite to?

Re: Game Copy Protection Issues
Jun 11, 2004, 18:48
Re: Game Copy Protection Issues Jun 11, 2004, 18:48
Jun 11, 2004, 18:48

This reminds me of the fuss over Morrowind's Copy protection (safedisc?) a while back. The damn thing significantly impacted the performance of the game. The pirates not only got the game for free, they got to play it with framerates apparently up to 20% faster than the non-cracked version (and Morrowind doesn't run particulatrly fast, so every bit of speed was important).

For the record, can anyone name ANY copy protection method/product/system/etc. which has ever prevented the media being protected from being copied? You can find any DVD movie online; same for games and music. Why don't companies stop wasting money on ineffective copy protection and use that money to make better games/music/movies?

For any companies listening, I will NOT buy your product if I repeatedly hear from others that your method of copy protection places an undue burden upon the LEGAL purchaser. Let me state that another way. If people who obtain an illegal copy of the game/music/movie have a better experience (either through ease of use, quality of the product or some other reasonable standard) than legal purchasers, I will not be buying your product. I refuse to spend my time hunting through questionable sites in an attempt to find a crack just so I can experience the game/movie/music at the higher quality/ease of use/etc. that pirates get for free.

Re: Gosen slams Microsoft out of fear
Jun 9, 2004, 19:04
Re: Gosen slams Microsoft out of fear Jun 9, 2004, 19:04
Jun 9, 2004, 19:04

I'm amazed that Gosen apparently has no knowledge of (or is choosing to ignore) the Gameboy during his rant. Let's see, Nintendo is aiming to release the Gameboy DS in the US late this year. That couldn't be however, because the Gameboy Advance was released a mere three years ago in 2001, and the Gameboy Advance SP was released in 2003. The funny thing about this is I could have sworn I just read a rant from a Nintendo exec complaining about 5-6 year console cycles? Or is it only fair to complain when you don't currently dominate the market in question?

Perhaps Gosen would prefer if home consoles, and the Gamecube in particular, would have a life cycle similar to handheld consoles like the Gameboy? This way Nintendo could release a new version of the Gamecube every few years without actually releasing a new generation of hardware.

The Gameboy Pocket had a better screen than the Gameboy, then the Gameboy Color added color. In both cases, if you wanted the new feature you had to buy the same basic system once again. Then Nintendo had the Gameboy Advance, a new generation of hardware, and if you wanted to actually be able to see the screen, you got to re-buy the newest version, the Gameboy Advance SP.

It's been 15 years, and Nintendo has released 5 designs (Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP) of 2 actual hardware generations (Gameboy, Gameboy Advance). Each new design they get to charge full price for, while reusing the same basic technology they've had for years (with the exception of the move from Gameboy Color to Gameboy Advance). This cuts back on R&D costs. Compare this to the 5 home systems they've released in this time frame (NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, and Gamecube), all of which have been completely new hardware generations.

As a side note, I have both the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, and I've played all the remaining Gameboy models over the years, so I do have hands on experience with my personal rant.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 19:06.

Ep 3 Crew Lint
Jun 5, 2004, 15:40
Ep 3 Crew Lint Jun 5, 2004, 15:40
Jun 5, 2004, 15:40

If anyone actually buys that lint, I will have officially lost all faith in humanity.

Question....
Jun 3, 2004, 19:08
Question.... Jun 3, 2004, 19:08
Jun 3, 2004, 19:08

Would the hot SOE representative that gives you a blowjob be included in the monthly fee, or is she extra? I figure for $10 (or whatever the current monthly fee is) it seems like a good deal, since prostitutes usually want $20.

Why not both?
May 27, 2004, 23:38
Why not both? May 27, 2004, 23:38
May 27, 2004, 23:38

Am I the only one who doesn't see a reason why both consoles and PCs can't coexist? I've had a variety of consoles and different PC configurations over the years, and the games I play for each platform are different.

I tend to favor consoles for fighting games, some action/platform games, most racing games, sports games, and so on. If I want to play with a group of friends over at my house, it's easier to just plug in more controllers on a console than it is to find multiple free USB ports and set up multiple controllers both in windows and in the game itself. Would anyone really prefer crowding around their computer monitor with 3 of their friends to play a game of Madden (for example), when they could be sitting on a couch playing on a larger tv? Additionally, consoles are smaller and more portable than a PC. I can fit my PS2 carrying case (with PS2, two controllers, 4 games, power & video cables, memory cards and DVD remote inside it) inside of my computer case by itself. A SFF case isn't a viable option for me, as I can't fit 2 hard drives, a DVD drive, a CD burner and all my PCI cards into any SFF case I'm aware of.

On the other hand, I like my PC for strategy, FPS games, space shooters, many RPG games, most simulations, etc. FPS games on consoles are generally horrible to control compared to PC versions, and I probably wouldn't play a game like Doom 3 at all if it was only available for xbox. I appreciate the high resolution graphics PCs offer, as well as the ability to upgrade if you're not happy with your current rig's capabilities (as opposed to waiting for the next generation console to come out). It's also worth pointing out that PC games can often be had for cheaper than their console counterparts. It's generally a given that a new console title will be $50, but a new PC game can be found on sale for significantly less than that if you look around. Additionally, you can download PC demos off the internet for free, but you generally have to buy console demo discs, subscribe to a magazine that offers a demo disc, or rent a game if you want to try it out.

In the end I'm playing both consoles and PCs, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If you want to pick one or the other, good for you; just don't call me stupid for not seeing it as being one or the other only.

Re: Another image of the day
Apr 28, 2004, 14:49
Re: Another image of the day Apr 28, 2004, 14:49
Apr 28, 2004, 14:49

I saved the image and played around with it a bit in Paint Shop Pro. Changing it to grayscale didn't change the effect for me. Changing it to truly black and white did eliminate the motion, but it was still kinda disorienting.

From playing around for a few minutes, I'd guess the effect depends on each section being three distinct colors. I should mention I know absolutely nothing about optical effects though, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Re: xbox specs?
Apr 27, 2004, 14:04
Re: xbox specs? Apr 27, 2004, 14:04
Apr 27, 2004, 14:04

Hmm... I'm not aware of 64s being hard to come by at the moment. All speed grades are available and in stock at newegg.com, if that's any indication of general availability.

As for price, it's hard to say if it's too high for Microsoft. The OEM Athlon 64 2800+ sells for $173 on newegg, while the OEM P4 2.8 w/ a 533MHz bus sells for $163 (the 800MHz bus version sells for $173). The OEM Athlon 64 3000+ runs $211, which is right at the price of an OEM P4 3GHz. As long as MS stayed away from the highest end processors from either vendor, prices are potentially feasible.

The question then becomes how much is Microsoft willing to spend on a processor? By the time the xbox 2 comes out, I could see the 2800+ selling to consumers for a little above $100, say maybe $120 (just a guess). Obviously the stores that sell the processors to consumers for $120 would be paying less than $120 to buy them from AMD, and I imagine the sheer volume of processors MS would buy for xbox 2 would push their final buying price to $100 or less. I cannot say, however, whether $100 or so would be too high a portion of the total xbox 2 manufacturing costs for it to be cost effective.

I'm just speculating here, but I think it would be possible for the Athlon 64 to be used if MS wanted to.

Edit: As usual, another day, another processor: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/5728/Xbox-2-Hardware-Architecture-Revealed
This comment was edited on Apr 27, 14:20.

Re: xbox specs?
Apr 27, 2004, 11:26
Re: xbox specs? Apr 27, 2004, 11:26
Apr 27, 2004, 11:26

Agreed. Last I heard (and this changes every day according to who you listen to), AMD's Athlon 64 was the frontrunner for the xbox 2. Of course I might have blinked and missed an article saying this was no longer true. The diagram didn't specifically mention Intel P4 processors for the record (granted I'm not aware of any other processor that could run at 3.5+ GHz currently).

And yeah, I'll second that laugh at the three 3.5+ GHz processors. That'll happen right after I get that unholy image of Rosie O Donnell naked out of my mind (i.e. a very, VERY long time from now... thanks by the way). A single 3.5GHz P4 alone would cost significantly more than microsoft would sell the system for, and I doubt they want to take the major loss per unit having three would result in.

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older