Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Creator of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 3227 (Veteran)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds
31. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 16:00 Darks

KS wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 14:02:
Frijoles wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 12:01:
Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:57:
On top of that the big issue I had yesterday was the game allows you to double rebind keys. that caused a big problem for me to the point where I thought my game was bugged.

One of my biggest pet peeves. Apparently rebinding keys is hard to program for a lot of devs who suffer from WASD syndrome.

Programmers are terrible as designers. They lazily throw wrappers around APIs rather than design a real product.

So you get double binds here. Other systems clear out the old bind without letting you know what it was, much less easily roll back (unless you wanna roll back all changes via cancel or reset.)

Worse, they've no doubt stumbles using their own systems and are still too blind to have a teeny paradigm shift and design a real user-friendly keybind system.

Hint for programmers miscast as designers: When you have a hard time doing something, note it for a design change.

I mean damn man, this cant be rocket science to them at this point its been two years, you would think by now they would get this part of the game working right.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds
5. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 11:57 Darks

Played Coop last night with a friend, we did have a pretty good time. it was really nice to have someone else there that you could trade with if needed, or make you an item.

Read yesterdays posting on my issue. but Hello Games definitely needs to fix the hints and tutorials. It lacks a lot of information.

On top of that the big issue I had yesterday was the game allows you to double rebind keys. that caused a big problem for me to the point where I thought my game was bugged.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com
29. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 26, 2018, 11:52 Darks

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:31:
I had a similar experience with learning to build a "Signal Booster" -- I knew about the "z" build key but when I initially looked there for some reason I did not see the Signal Booster. I got pretty frustrated. Ended up asking a friend I knew had played at launch and had played for a long time. He told me it was in the build menu, I said, "No, it isn't" then I looked again and it was there...

The game is definitely "clunky" in spots -- but overall I've enjoyed it.

Yea, this is exactly why I was saying their hints and tutorial lack information and needs to be fixed.

And, fix it so you cant double binds keys. That was a big one.

27. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 26, 2018, 10:35 Darks

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 23:27:
Darks wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 11:04:
I have to ask, has anyone else been playing this game? If so, what are your thoughts and do you agree or not with what I'm saying here?

I tried it again last night for the first time in over a year. Its nice to see a lot of the new changes, but I forgot how much micro managing this game requires.

What I'm referring to is the starting planets. I get it that they want to tutor you on how to survive the harshness of the games environments. But come on, I re-started the game at least 40 times last night trying to get a hospitable world. Not one world spawned worth a damn.

Every world was either too hot 143 degrees or to cold -166 degrees. Or they were toxic or full of radiation. So, yea they lead you around by a leash telling you what to mine and how to survive. But it became such a fricking chore.
I'm responding before reading the other responses so this may just be a repeat of what has already been said, but basically you hit the nail on the head. When I first played this game about a year after its' initial release I was also annoyed with the bad environment on the starting planet. After a couple restart attempts I suspected it was on purpose -- an extra reason for you to get in your ship and start exploring the galaxy. So, as an experiment I started 100 games. They all had extreme environments.

The micro-management really kicks in for the mid-game when you start wanting to craft large quantities and you find out quickly (on the off chance you hadn't already noticed) one of the limiting factors of the game is storage capacity. Why the devs have decided to use storage capacity as a limiting factor really is beyond my ability to reason.

Yea, so after a few hours playing. I came to also realize something that was holding me back. I absolutely thought the game bugged out because it kept telling me to build an Adv Sensor.

I was like what? where do you do that? So, I was just about to give up on my game and start over but my friend came online so I joined his game. Well, it made me start all over again. But at least this time I knew what I needed to do so I jumped though and got everything done quicker.

So, my friend say, you need to place down the Adv Sensor. Again I was dude I dont see how to do that. He then said the default key was the Z build key.

Well, I looked and I was getting the emote and a few other things in mine. He was like, no thats not it. So I looked, and sure enough the stupid game allowed me to double re-map a key. Well done Hello Games on allowing such a stupid thing to happen!! SMH!!

Anyway, after that, we got our ships repaired and off we went to a new world that had a marker on it for the next objective.

So far the games been somewhat fun after finally figuring things out. But holly crap they need to fix their tutorial and give more information on some of these objectives stuff they want you to do.

Especially when they have a pop up come up and it does not show you the key mapping you have to make that build menu come up.

Coop been fun, at least you can work together and give each other stuff to help you get though some of the harder stuff.

8. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 12:57 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 12:54:
Ouch, that's a bit of a black eye for GOG.

Sure is, doesn't bode well for those who purchased GOG games and get left out in the cold like that.

7. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 12:56 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 12:08:
fawker wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 11:20:
It's pretty typical for survival games, or at least ones that have elements of it, to make it very difficult at first and easier as you go, at least for the day to day stuff you need.

I doubt NMS is much different from Conan in this respect.

Darks mercifully made his Conan server less grindy.

Hows it going J?

Have you been on the server at all lately? I know I haven't, but I've been busy playing a few other games. Thats the problem with so many games being released. To many to play and not enough time to play them all.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
7. Re: Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Jul 25, 2018, 12:36 Darks

Strange, Steam does not have a copy that can be pre-purchased yet.

Loved the previous two games, and played this one at E3 and had a blast with it.

So, yes I will be buying this one too.

4. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 11:56 Darks

fawker wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 11:20:
It's pretty typical for survival games, or at least ones that have elements of it, to make it very difficult at first and easier as you go, at least for the day to day stuff you need.

I doubt NMS is much different from Conan in this respect.

No, NMS is pretty extreme when it comes to the surviving part. At least Conan wasn't. I played the hell out of Conan. Even Cutter can tell you because he loves that game too.

But NMS, ugh, its really frustrating on how much you have to do to keep yourself alive.

2. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 11:04 Darks

I have to ask, has anyone else been playing this game? If so, what are your thoughts and do you agree or not with what I'm saying here?

I tried it again last night for the first time in over a year. Its nice to see a lot of the new changes, but I forgot how much micro managing this game requires.

What I'm referring to is the starting planets. I get it that they want to tutor you on how to survive the harshness of the games environments. But come on, I re-started the game at least 40 times last night trying to get a hospitable world. Not one world spawned worth a damn.

Every world was either too hot 143 degrees or to cold -166 degrees. Or they were toxic or full of radiation. So, yea they lead you around by a leash telling you what to mine and how to survive. But it became such a fricking chore.

Rinse and repeat. Find Sodium, so you can replenish the environmental suit, run out of energy, now finding some other material to recharge the laser. thats all I did for over an hour last night. I couldn't go 15 mins without having to recharge my suit just to survive the environments. It got ridiculous.

I put the game on its easiest settings to and it was really becoming a haphazard to play the game I was at the point were I couldn't stand it any longs and quit.

Is this really how the devs want people to enjoy or should I say try and enjoy the game? By making you run around doing menial task to try and survive the harsh climates? ughh! Good grief!!! I just wanted to explore and have fun, but that was not what I was doing or getting out of the game.

Yes, I know you can play the game in play ground mode or whatever they are calling it so you dont have to search for stuff, but I wanted to play it on easy and get the achievements too. But my god this game is all about do this do that and it became a burden to try and play this game.

Back to Conan I guess. At least that game was a lot more fun.

News Comments > Rising Lords Announced
3. Re: Rising Lords Announced Jul 24, 2018, 15:22 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2018, 12:08:
Umm. yes. I'm curious about it. I like little games like that.

looks to shitty. Go and get Warhammer 40K Gladius. that game is fun.

News Comments > Rising Lords Announced
1. Re: Rising Lords Announced Jul 24, 2018, 10:20 Darks

Umm, no!!  

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
38. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 23, 2018, 20:26 Darks

chickenboo wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 16:05:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 15:47:
Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 13:17:
No game developer ever deserves death threats and bomb threats and that level of bullshit, but the initial backlash over his blatant, flat-out LIES were completely justified. Murray lied about this game up until the day of release. (edit: Someone already said that and you already replied to it. My bad!)

NMS is still missing a sizable laundry list of things Murray promised. Offhand, planetary physics (such as gravity determined by the distance from a star), asteroid landings, flying between stars (as opposed to warping via the Galactic interface), complex creature behavior including environmental interaction (creature charging through plants and knocking them over as seen in the E3 demo), and functional rivers to name a few.

functional rivers... does this game feature "rivers" with static water in them that isn't flowing or rocking against the river edge? like most games? Come to think of it though, does any game yet feature rivers which move liquid downstream? I recall Witcher 3 having somewhat active rivers in parts of Skellige, and I remember the wide river in Toussaint but I don't recall if the water was static or not.

Nevertheless, not buying this game

You wont be missed!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 15:23 Darks

Pigeon wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 13:19:
Darks wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 12:44:
At the rate Pappa Johns is going, they will be out of business before much longer.

They may go out of business but their garlic butter sauce will continue to live on in our hearts... in the form of cholesterol encrusted on the walls of the aorta.

Well, maybe you and the other might, but not me,. I dont use that stuff. not my thing.

But, I do like their pizza, would miss that if they did.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
25. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 23, 2018, 15:19 Darks

saluk wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 14:58:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 12:35:
Prez wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 10:56:
Say what you want about Murray and Hello Games, but they could have easily taken the huge bank they made off of No Man's Sky at release and walked away. Instead they put up with the criticism and derision and stuck with it, turning No Man's Sky into something many of us would really like to play. Not a lot of developers do that any more.

I was just thinking this but I also know he's smart enough to realize that if he wants the community to buy his next game he needs to win them back to MAYBE fleece them again.

He said in a recent interview maybe they don't even make another game, just keep investing in this one for a while.

This wasn't about fleecing, this was about someone who got really excited about what he was building, and didn't know anything about PR.

Still, It shows the guy has a passion about what he created and wants ot make it better.

That is still something you dont see very offer anymore.

More developers could use a little of his passion.

I also bought this about a year ago when it was cheap, Glad I did looking forward to seeing how this plays now and Coop.

Oh Yea!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 12:44 Darks

At the rate Pappa Johns is going, they will be out of business before much longer.  

News Comments > Steam Ban Spree
21. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 21, 2018, 17:54 Darks

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 12:15:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 09:55:
Because you're ruining the game for others by making it easier than it should be and by looking far superior to them and making them think they suck.
I doubt that anyone who has ever interacted with him left with the feeling that they were the dumb one.

no that honor is all yours moron.

19. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 21, 2018, 10:01 Darks

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 09:55:
Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 20:11:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 19:11:
Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 15:53:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 14:27:
True, there are going to be false positives. In which case you can appeal them. However VAC bans only ban you from playing on VAC secured servers. It does not ban you from playing the game.

OK, but what if that server thats hosting the game is a Coop only server and you have been banned? See the problem? You are now screwed over and cant play the game Coop with your friends.

This is why I like being able to host my own Coop servers without any intrusive bullshit like VAC.

I have to disagree here. The amount of cheating going on in these games is incredible. I fault many of the console game makers here with all their cheat modes part of the game. Too many people consider cheating just part of the game just because of prior game play experiences. If you don't want to be banned, don't cheat!

I'm not talking about competitive games, VAC has a place there, but it does not have a place in game where there is no PVP going on. that the point I'm making and why VAC is bad in those instances.
Because youre ruining the game for others by making it easier than it should be and by looking far superior to them and making them think they suck.

Yea, ok stupid!!

17. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 20, 2018, 20:11 Darks

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 19:11:
Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 15:53:
True, there are going to be false positives. In which case you can appeal them. However VAC bans only ban you from playing on VAC secured servers. It does not ban you from playing the game.

OK, but what if that server thats hosting the game is a Coop only server and you have been banned? See the problem? You are now screwed over and cant play the game Coop with your friends.

This is why I like being able to host my own Coop servers without any intrusive bullshit like VAC.

I have to disagree here. The amount of cheating going on in these games is incredible. I fault many of the console game makers here with all their cheat modes part of the game. Too many people consider cheating just part of the game just because of prior game play experiences. If you don't want to be banned, don't cheat!

I'm not talking about competitive games, VAC has a place there, but it does not have a place in game where there is no PVP going on. that the point I'm making and why VAC is bad in those instances.

12. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 20, 2018, 15:53 Darks

11. Re: Steam Ban Spree Jul 20, 2018, 15:43 Darks

christheshitter wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 13:26:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 11:48:
Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 10:53:
The VAC ban system how its setup is bullshit. There is no warning that you will be banded or a second chance if something happens that is not the persons fault. I get it that there are many out there who are cheating a lot. But there are circumstances where someone gets baned that should not be but there is no way to undo it.

They're breaking the TOS and costing the Developers, Publishers, and Valve all money. You don't rob a bank and then stand in front of the judge and say, 'Gee, your honor, I forgot it was illegal to rob a bank. Can I get a do-over? Won't do it again. Pinkie-swearsies!' Ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances. I have zero sympthay for cheaters/griefers that get the banhammmer. Can't happen to quickly or enough IMO.

But how do Steam know if they're really cheaters?

That's the point, there needs to be a better over sight on this. Anyone being banned should have the right to state their case. The current system does not allow someone to do that. And thats the problem.

In fact, I can point out how VAC has caused issues with some users being banned and how it killed a game. Sword Coast Legends for instance has VAC. Why? who the hell even knows, it shouldn't because its not a competitive game, it has Coop only. But some people got busted over it and were banned.

Even the Developer was not happy with VAC being in the game, I know some of the devs and they were very vocal about it. In fact, before the game got shut down, VAC was supposed to be removed. But yet, here it is still in the game and for what reason?

VAC also caused people to shy away from modding this game because they were afraid of their accounts getting VAC banned, So, the mods that were in progress got shut down and people fled the game in masses.

VAC has no place in some games, some developers are ass stupid about how they go about their daily routines and decision making.

In this case, VAC was not the decision of N-Spaces, this was Digital Extremes, and it was a poor decision that partly cost the games longevity.

3227 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo