Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 2487 (Senior)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
26. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 08:26 Darks

Wetworks wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 00:44:
I have no idea why they are putting such an emphasis on mp. Doom mp was never the selling point. The single player campaign is what most people who think of Doom care about. To devote an entire season pass to the mp and not single player or possibly some cool co-op pve type modes is a complete fail.

Simplistic arena shooters will never be more than a few hours of fun for the majority of the player base.

I'll go with this comment. I despise PVP so I won't be buying the pass. most likely won't be buying this game either from the sounds of it. I'll wait it out until there's a 5 or 10 dollar sale. So disappointing to see all the emphasis on MP.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls III Crash Workaround
7. Re: Dark Souls III Crash Workaround Apr 13, 2016, 15:15 Darks

Anyone have issues with the way the camera works? I find it to be a bit wonky, it likes to jump around in combat and that drives me nuts. I just want it to stay in one place.

Whats the best class to play as? I tired the Thief, but I find them to squishy. Is there a ranges type char besides the Mage? Are mages worth a damn?

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Preloads
4. Re: DOOM Open Beta Preloads Apr 13, 2016, 08:23 Darks

Flo wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 08:05:
christheshitter wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 07:06:
I seriously don't see any resemblance to Doom 1 or 2 at all. It's very much the same as Doom 3 with added quicktime events and mixed in with some of Quake 3 style multiplayer. Which looks slow paced and boring.
Not even close to Q3. Movement is totally messed up.

I take it that you must have played the new Doom to make that comment? Movement is messed up like how?

News Comments > Quantum Break PC Issues
1. Re: Quantum Break PC Issues Apr 8, 2016, 09:41 Darks

LOL, so much for Microshits Win 10 premium game. Feel the burn M$!!!  

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
29. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 15:12 Darks

Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:16:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:05:
Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:17:
Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:56:
Have fun living in your bubble where you can cower and hide from the realities and issues of the day.

Science fiction and fantasy literature have always been about real life issues. It's by putting the story in a setting where the trivialities and rules of the universe can be skipped to focus on telling the story, which have always - in the best sci-fi and fantasy - been about the times and people and the world and all issues therein.

Apparently it's you that's living in a bubble, most common people prefer to not deal or hear about this lame bullshit. It does not have a place in gaming where people are trying to most likely place their political views and cramming them down everyone's throats.

Which would explain why Star Trek was such an unpopular and short lived series: using science fiction as a way to understand ourselves and the present is something no one wants. Oh wait, we're talking about one of the longest lived and most popular institutions of popular culture, one which even had an episode exploring what life is like for transgender people, in 1992!

Good fiction writing is NEVER purely escapist, because otherwise it would mean the writer has nothing on his or her mind which the writing is a response to; if you don't have ideas, then your story doesn't have anything to say. When a story says nothing about our lives in the real world, it isn't good writing. That doesn't mean a story needs to be a response to hot button issues, but it does mean that it could, for example, explore the guilt that comes from an irreversible mistake: immersing yourself in the experience of such a character tells you a LOT about how you live your own life.

If all you want out of literary media is to slay dragons, you're living an impoverished life. Full stop.
Indeed. People like Darks were the ones who complained about women working or, in Saudi Arabia, driving cars. Imagine a game about a woman with a job! Or a female driver in a movie, it's outrageous!

Blow it out of your ass Bludd, don't even try to stereotype me into that cast. You know nothing about me so just shut the fuck up right now!

News Comments > Battleborn Open Beta Preloads
6. Re: Battleborn Open Beta Preloads Apr 7, 2016, 12:23 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:02:
The only thing that interests me is the single player, which won't actually be complete on release. It'll take a long time before they create the whole campaign. Also, it's basically Borderlands, but with no loot. Loot MADE Borderlands. Without it, it's not much more than a generic shooter with serviceable gameplay. I watched TB's playthrough of it and it only confirmed this. ZERO interest in all these MOBA clones, regardless of the coat of paint or perspective.

This game is not just that, it also has a campaign to play Coop with friends. The PVP part is what I avoid to, not my cup of tea.

I'm just looking forward to playing the Storyline Coop.

9. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 7, 2016, 12:17 Darks

Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:56:
Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 10:27:
I do not understand and will never understand the need to push this kind of bullshit in games. Can't we just have games to play without all the mellow drama bullshit?

It's bad enough people have to deal with this crap in real life, the devs got busted for it and good. Serves them right for trying to play up to this crap.
Have fun living in your bubble where you can cower and hide from the realities and issues of the day.

Science fiction and fantasy literature have always been about real life issues. It's by putting the story in a setting where the trivialities and rules of the universe can be skipped to focus on telling the story, which have always - in the best sci-fi and fantasy - been about the times and people and the world and all issues therein.

Apparently it's you that's living in a bubble, most common people prefer to not deal or hear about this lame bullshit. It does not have a place in gaming where people are trying to most likely place their political views and cramming them down everyone's throats.

5. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 7, 2016, 11:36 Darks

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 10:39:
nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 10:31:
I'm glad they're fixing Minsc, as I think I found that a lot more distressing than a shopkeeper. But I still feel like it was pretty ham handed.

The ending is terrible, worse than ME3 apparently. One of my buddies finished the campaign yesterday and said it would be the last thing from beamdog he'd ever buy.

Ouch, that bad!!

2. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 Darks

I do not understand and will never understand the need to push this kind of bullshit in games. Can't we just have games to play without all the mellow drama bullshit?

It's bad enough people have to deal with this crap in real life, the devs got busted for it and good. Serves them right for trying to play up to this crap.

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
9. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 14:59 Darks

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 12:08:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 11:53:
Increased costs for converting crafting materials and crafting High-End items:

• 10 Standard (Green) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 Specialized (Blue) material

• 15 Specialized (Blue) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 High-End (Gold) material

• 10 High-End (Gold) materials instead of 8 to craft 1 lvl 31 High-End (Gold) item

• Changed deconstruction yield of Standard (Green) and High-End (Gold) items:

• Deconstructing a Standard (Green) item yields 1 Standard material instead of 2

• Deconstructing a High-End (Gold) item yields 1 High-End material instead of 2

• They didn't just increase the cost of crafting the best items, they're fucking all high-level crafting across the board, hard. As if you didn't already have to craft everything multiple times just to get something usable out of the RNG...

Still considering how easy it is to get crafting materials I still stand by my statement. 2 more gold items to craft high end stuff is nothing. Blues and green's are cake.

Elf, I know you probably have as much time in the game as I do. but these changes are NOT for the better.

Its totaly shit what they are doing. This is what it's going to cost you to DE and craft now.

10 GREEN = 1 BLUE - Vs the 5 it used to cost

15 BLUE = 1 GOLD - 10 plus more vs the 5 it used to cost

So the conversion is now this on what the total cost will be.

150 GREEN = 1 GOLD

No matter how you slice it, this is NOT for the betterment of the game.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
    4. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 5, 2016, 08:34 Darks

SlimRam wrote on Apr 5, 2016, 04:31:
    jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2016, 02:26:
    No love for the greatest space sim ever made?
    Eh, I can speak for myself when I say i'm tired of 'The Dog and Pony Show'? From what I have watched of these he talks about some fairly minor points of the game development that they are currently working on. As a non-backer and a guy that would just like to play the finished game a lot of this info is irrelevant. Basically, give me a shipping date, at this point that's all I care about.

I am a backer, 60 dollars in. And I've been tired of the BS for the past two years. Like You All I want at this point is to see the fricking game released.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
    1. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 1, 2016, 11:06 Darks

Loved the game when it was originally released, but I've found it really difficult to get back into that old looking game. Pillars to me has been a much more fun game. Maybe, I'm just getting spoiled with the newer and better looking graphical games. Am I the only one who feels that way?  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 6 Next Month
    1. Re: Diablo III Season 6 Next Month Apr 1, 2016, 11:03 Darks

Yes, thank you Blizzard, more set gear and uniques and not enough stash to store it all. This is the legacy of your game. Fill it up with all kinds of gear that you keep rendering useless with each season just so we can change our builds, re-roll gear endlessly and grind for more gear.  

News Comments > The Division DLC Next Month
    13. Re: The Division DLC Next Month Apr 1, 2016, 10:57 Darks

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 10:52:
    Darks wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 09:57:
    Bumpy wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 21:04:
    Playing this as single player only, this DLC disappoints.

No idea how you think this is a disappointment, been playing this game almost every night,

Darks wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 09:57:
    I have a bunch of friends I hang with every night and we do all of the dailies and everything on Challenge Mode. we blast through everything right now. so we are looking forward to this new gear and challenge mission.

I think you pretty much highlighted why it's a disappointment for a solo player. You're playing with a group. When you can't play consistently for hours each night, have to take random breaks for other things, etc., then playing with a dedicated group is pretty much impossible.

Pub groups are very random. Took me well over an hour to finish one challenge mission the other night, because the group was terrible. Ended up disbanding and joining another group, then one guy drops and we have to wait for another one. Fun.

I understand what you're saying. Again, friend me, we will run you guys though it's not a problem.

News Comments > The Division DLC Next Month
    11. Re: The Division DLC Next Month Apr 1, 2016, 09:57 Darks

Bumpy wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 21:04:
    Playing this as single player only, this DLC disappoints.

No idea how you think this is a disappointment, been playing this game almost every night, Just made lv 50 in the DZ last night. and it's been a lot of fun. just got my New MP5 N Navy and its a beast.

This is a free DLC addon btw, I have a bunch of friends I hang with every night and we do all of the dailies and everything on Challenge Mode. we blast through everything right now. so we are looking forward to this new gear and challenge mission.

I will say that the DZ needs to be fixed. There are far to many high level players there griefing the lower players who are just trying to level and get better gear. They need ot instance the high end players so that everyone is playing with players at their same levels.

And yes, looking for Division Tech is a freaking chore. This also needs to get fixed.

If anyone wants to run with us, let me know im darkxxxx in Ubi.

News Comments > Developer n-Space Closes
    29. Re: Developer n-Space Closes Mar 30, 2016, 18:02 Darks

BurntSoul wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 14:35:
    ldonyo wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 13:44:
    I know of at least one game-stopping bug. My wife found it while fighting the humongous spider right before you go into Underdark. As far as I know this has not yet been fixed.

You fight the gigantic spider, then kill off the waves of little spiders. This happens three times, then the large spider is supposed to drop down for the final fight. It drops down, but then goes right back up, never to be seen again. Meanwhile, you're stuck in combat mode until you exit the game. You can re-fight this over and over, you can choose to reset as far back as the game allows, but it always ends the same way once you get this bug. The only option is to start a new game and hope it doesn't happen again.

Arrgh, sucks. Hopefully some kind of community patch will come out that can fix it plus tweaks on difficulty or something. Who knows if that's even a possibility.

I'm pretty certain this was fixed, we went though the game recently and had no issues with this.

13. Re: Developer n-Space Closes Mar 30, 2016, 13:02 Darks

El Pit wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 12:55:
    mellis wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 12:35:
    As long as you mean successor to Neverwinter Nights; Mask of the Betrayer. That one was truly awesome - the others? not so much.

Wrong. Hordes of the Underdark was really good.

Ill second this one, it was the best out of the entire game.

Loved it!!

9. Re: Developer n-Space Closes Mar 30, 2016, 12:20 Darks

BurntSoul wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 12:13:
    Primalchrome wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 12:02:

What fact are you referring to....the toolset? They've indicated there would be one since early in the process. They only later indicated that it would initially be a tileset. The one they delivered was anemic. "Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends" - a quote still on their website....

I respect what you've pointed out - I hear you, I get it! but...

and from what I remember, a lot of people thought the NWN toolset was shit. There was always a lot of bitching and moaning in their forums, from what I remember.

This quote cracks me up. The Aurora Toolset was far from shit, many people just didn't understand it or know how to use the tools to their full capability. I am very well versed with these tools, I created two very large modules, both Eye of the Beholder 1 and part 2. Spent countless hours creating new scripts, tiles sets and models. I have roughly over 2 years into making those mods.

The toolset is the exact same toolset the Bioware devs used to make the game. So anyone complaining about the tools just didn't know what they were doing. And That's a fact!!

8. Re: Developer n-Space Closes Mar 30, 2016, 12:15 Darks

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 12:02:
    Darks wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 11:47:
    I have no idea what you are talking about. This game was never a kickstarter game.

I know that for a fact, this question came up a long time ago on the forums and the CEO himself addressed it.
    Right...my bad. I should have said early-access/crowdfunded instead of kickstarter.

What fact are you referring to....the toolset? They've indicated there would be one since early in the process. They only later indicated that it would initially be a tileset. What they delivered was anemic. "Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends" - a quote still on their website....

Yea, we will never see that now. This game will be done in a year's time. Servers will be gone and so on.

This game failed mainly in part because most everyone was hoping for a Neverwinter Nights successor. Well that never happened, this game was far from what Neverwinter was.

4. Re: Developer n-Space Closes Mar 30, 2016, 11:47 Darks

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 30, 2016, 11:26:
    Soooooo.....essentially there will never be a decent toolset for Sword Coast Legends. Chalk it up to another kickstarter I regret having backed.

I have no idea what you are talking about. This game was never a kickstarter game.

I know that for a fact, this question came up a long time ago on the forums and the CEO himself addressed it.

2487 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo