Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1071 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
196. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:43 Teddy

Krovven wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:30:
Teddy wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:19:
SWTOR?

Gamespy

MMORPG

Joytiq staggered launch woes

The above was from a quick Google and not even checking the official forums or anywhere else for issues from launch day.

How quickly people forget that even though servers were up, there were long queues and some people simply just could not log on because of the staggered launch. I'd say people that couldn't log on for DAYS after launch would disagree with you that SWOTR launch didn't have it's own problems.

Nevermind that SWOTR did not see the numbers Diablo 3 is seeing.

Did you even read those articles? The first one had an issue for exactly 1 hour from trying to log on, to the point where he said

"I checked the server selection menu and saw that the North American server count now topped 140, with traffic running the gamut from light to heavy to full. However, according to the system, the longest queue was 15 minutes long..."

Then

"So how did it play? I'm happy to report I didn't have any issues. On the Dark Reaper server (West Coast PvP), traffic was light, there was zero lag, and I was able to travel from Korriban to Hutta to the Imperial Station and back again without any issues loading."

The second article didn't have anything negative to say at all, and the third only mentioned that there were queues.

So your point is? I won't presume to speak for others, but I'd rather have a queue I can join rather than sit at the login menu copy/pasting my password and attempting to log in over and over until the game locks out my account for a moment, pause and repeat. Took me an hour and a half to get in when the servers WERE "up", much less the multiple times they've taken them down.

Some people having problems is a far cry from EVERYONE being unable to play, no matter how much you'd like to try and equate the two.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

190. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:32 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:26:
My apologies. 77%+/-

77% is pretty damn low for server uptime.

184. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:29 Teddy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:28:
eunichron wrote on May 15, 2012, 17:43:
My guess would be 12-15 hours for a normal person to play through... and that's still only normal mode.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was longer. It's taken me more than 4hrs to get through to the second level of the cathedral.

Depends on what people qualify as a 'normal' person. I make sure I do every dungeon in the game. I figure it'll take me more than 12-15.

181. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:25 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:22:

Well, lets see...it has been up since Midnight, and now is down for maintenance for 3 hours. 82% uptime out of the gate. Not bad.

How many days was the PS3 network down?
How many days was Ubi down?

Argument totally holds water.

4 hours of maintenance, not 3, it's down again, by the way. Beyond that, what does it matter if it's up if you're spending an hour plus spamming at the login screen just in the hopes of getting in? That's somehow better?

And Sony got sued over that incidentally, not a great argument.

179. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:19 Teddy

Krovven wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:16:
You mean like you didn't in response to him asking you to name one big game that hasn't had launch issues and you just redirected.

SWTOR? Of course you'll just hedge and claim it wasn't a major online game or something idiotic like that.

I was on and playing day 1, no disconnects, no wall of error messages telling me to wait, no repeatedly bringing the servers down for maintenance.

175. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:13 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:08:
Teddy wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:00:
Name one game that hasn't had issues at launch in the last 10 years.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that "issues" doesn't equate to being completely unable to play. Have other games had bugs? Sure. Did those bugs prevent me from playing said game for half a day? No, that's pretty much just WoW and Diablo 3.

NO it isn't. UBI Games. I am sure someone knows a list off of the top of their head, I just don't care.

Excellent. Yet another "I'm going to make an outlandish claim, then say I'm too cool to back up what I say with any actual facts." Good job making yourself look credible.

168. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:04 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:00:
Name one game that hasn't had issues at launch in the last 10 years.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that "issues" doesn't equate to being completely unable to play. Have other games had bugs? Sure. Did those bugs prevent me from playing said game for half a day? No, that's pretty much just WoW and Diablo 3.

119. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:04 Teddy

Back in again.

The game has managed to delete most of my achievements, though it kept some of them in seemingly random fashion.

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:14 Teddy

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:53:
7 hours

Take note those are both groups of 4 people. You're not doing that solo. It may have scaling issues in co-op. Hell, does it even bother scaling? I don't know one way or the other.

And for comparison:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Diablo2LoD.html

Diablo 2 speedrun, 4 hours 22 minutes. 100% completion. We all know how much content was in that game.

86. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:47 Teddy

Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:45:
If I were a lesser man I would point out the poetic irony of getting errors due to overloaded servers when one was trying to log in to Bnet to play by themselves. Oh wait...

Okay okay, before anybody comes in and crucifies me, I'll just say "uncle" now. But even if the errors are cleared up in an instant, it's still a stark reminder of what many of us have been so disappointed about with Blizzard's decision to be always-on only.

Don't think anyone's arguing that it would have been better for customers if there was an activation only single player mode. It would have resolved this whole thing before it happened.

That said, to be fair to Blizzard, when I did get in, I played 8 hours straight with no lag, no disconnects and no bugs.

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:39 Teddy

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:34:
Is the game really that short? I'm hearing people are breezing through it in a matter of hours. Wow, if that's the case. I guess they have a lot of paid content in the pipe.

Everything is a matter of hours, just a matter of how many. One person ignored all side-quests and exploring and sprinted to the end in 12.5 hours. Then again, people "beat" Skyrim in 2.5 hours, too.

Took me 8 hours to clear through partway into Act II.

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:35 Teddy

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:32:
I'll see your 37 and raise you a 25009.

For reference, Error 37 (the error I am getting right now, repeatedly) is "The servers are too busy right now, try again later."

Keep acting like you know what's what, though. By all means.

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:29 Teddy

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:27:
Teddy wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:22:
NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:16:
It's like you said, companies get away with it because it only upsets a few neckbeards in the middle of the night.

I'm sure by 'middle of the night', you mean 2pm because it's STILL happening.

The servers are more-or-less down to fix the problems everyone is complaining about... they aren't overloaded. Fuck almighty.

Tell that to my error 37. Fuck almighty, yourself.

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:22 Teddy

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:16:
It's like you said, companies get away with it because it only upsets a few neckbeards in the middle of the night.

I'm sure by 'middle of the night', you mean 2pm because it's STILL happening.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
88. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 14:12 Teddy

Darks wrote on May 15, 2012, 10:31:
Verno wrote on May 15, 2012, 08:46:
ASeven wrote on May 15, 2012, 08:44:
Holy shit, just watched someone on twitch.tv finish the game in Nightmare mode in under 8 hours.

Is this game this short?

What are you talking about? It takes that long to finish Act 1 for the first time, asian powergamers not withstanding.

I seriously doubt that the game is short. I was watching some guys on Twitch.tv playing. The one Ill play till I pass out. And they are all level 22 to 23 and in the desert area. They have been going at it all night. I think the desert is Act 2. Meaning that they have put in at least 8 hours now. So Iím betting that there is at least another 20 hours of game play left.

Can easily confirm this. Played 8 hours straight, hit level 19, act II. The game is NOT short, anyone saying so is making fraudulent claims.

43. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 03:40 Teddy

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:32:
Servers for a hugely anticipated game are overloaded early on? YOU DON'T SAY!

No one's especially shocked that it's busy. That doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't be annoyed by the fact that Blizzard (who obviously has the money to do so) didn't bother renting enough hardware to ease the initial rush of people into the game.

40. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 03:29 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:20:
No, you cannot connect to even play single-player... That's why everyone is so pissed. I've been trying to get on for 15 minutes now, you get past the 'Servers busy' message if you keep trying, but then it takes forever trying to 'Retrieve hero list' (of which I have none, BTW), and eventually times out.

Oh, don't worry. Even when you can get past the login screen, you get more 'busy' messages when trying to create a character. Then again when trying to start a game.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer
5. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer May 11, 2012, 14:08 Teddy

MacLeod wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:19:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2012, 11:59:
If George is so passionate about the series he should bloody well finish it instead of playing rockstar.

Yea, really. I'm concerned that he's going to croak before he finishes the damn thing. Then we'll get someone like Kevin J. Anderson to finish the series and I'll have to smash my head in trying to read it.

Then again, I'm sure even if he finishes it, KJA (and maybe, deciding to branch out from ruining his father's works, Brian Herbert) will decide to write prequel and sequel books that were found on spiral notebooks buried under the floor of his house with notes for another 5 book ideas.

Man, am I bitter over those crappy Dune prequel/sequel novels.

The scary thing is George RR Martin has said multiple times that he hates the procedure traditionally involved in writing. He doesn't do notebooks full of stuff, character boards, plot charts, or anything of the sort. It's all in his head. So if his mind goes (one way or the other) then so do the vast majority of the details on what was intended for future books.

It's also probably why it takes him so long to write a damn book, but then for all we know, it's part of what makes his books so good.

News Comments > Republique Kickstarter Ending
16. Re: Republique Kickstarter Ending May 10, 2012, 23:46 Teddy

Zyrxil wrote on May 10, 2012, 21:45:
MGS Halo FEAR are not 'ideas' properties, and people who worked on them simply do not deserve any public funding.

So no one, out of the HUNDREDS of people who worked on those games could possibly have an original idea that's worth investing in? None of them? Why is that exactly? Because YOU didn't like the games, everyone involved from the lead designer to the interns fetching coffee are now to be blacklisted?

Some people just amaze me with the idiocy they can spew.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
13. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 12:49 Teddy

Funkinator wrote on May 3, 2012, 11:58:
netnerd85 wrote on May 3, 2012, 10:51:
Um, Valve are the one's that put it up... they didn't have to name it the indie bundle.

Really? You are going with this line of reasoning? EA has not input? All Valve? Valve can put things on sale without developer and/or Publisher input?

Yet Valve still could have refused to title it an indie bundle. It is their store, after all.

1071 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo