Descending
Limit Results:

82 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

No subject
Oct 26, 2004, 16:47
No subject Oct 26, 2004, 16:47
Oct 26, 2004, 16:47

Somehow I don't see people staying up till midnight to get their copy at the local Best Buy.

Re: No subject
Oct 25, 2004, 13:34
Re: No subject Oct 25, 2004, 13:34
Oct 25, 2004, 13:34

I'm not that impressed by their screen shots or movies. And frankly, I'm a tad put off by this company with their last fiasco SWG. I played SWG for like 4 months after it was released, waiting, waiting for it to get better...it never did. And from what I hear, it hasn't gotten better.

Now, with this they are WAY not ready to release this. And the graphics are just...blah. But when I look at a WoW screen shot sometimes I do go "wow".

Oh well...

Draconian reqirements!
Oct 25, 2004, 10:14
Draconian reqirements! Oct 25, 2004, 10:14
Oct 25, 2004, 10:14

Also, like Valve and HL2, I hear that you HAVE to have an internet connection to register and play this game!

Those bastards!

Oct 23, 2004, 09:57
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 09:57
Oct 23, 2004, 09:57

Who the hell do you think you are telling people what they should or shouldnt be doning at work or school, just stfu if that is your foundation of logic.

It's called humor asshat...look into it a little. Sheesh, you couldn't see that was a joke? I was acting like my old man used to yell at us when we were goofing off. And you took it as I was being serious? Wow....just...wow...

Also, what personal data without permission are you talking about? Your name and email address are transmitted ONE time to register...AND it has your permission to do it since you're the one filling out the info. What other info could it possibly be sending back and do you THINK for a MOMENT that Valve would do anything stupid to have the entire geek world come down on it with the power of God behind it? This isn't a matter of "people are stupid and they would just do it"...not in this day and age, sorry.

Take off your tin-foil hat you paranoid moron. You're not giving them your social security number, you're not giving them access to your bank account...you're not giving them anything really if you don't want to!

Really, get a grip..."all the information....personal data without permission...." it boggles my mind that some people think this way. Then you shouldn't sign up for an ISP, they want info too! What about your bank! They want SS numbers and your phone number! THOSE BASTARDS! Don't apply for a job, you have to fill out ALL KINDS of information!

LOL and Steam is hardly a limited audience...considering it's one of the largest online communities in the world right now.

OK, so in review here Acleacius, since you're so fired up about all this info being transmitted to Steam, I should point out other programs that do the exact same thing. Any browser you have running right now reading this thread, iTunes, any program that says "would you like to register right now" on the install, any anti-virus software that runs in the background and does updates to it's database through the net. Where is all your righteous indignation for all those? Hmmm?

I don't think computers are for you, perhaps going back to paper and pencil and books are more in line.

Re: Pirates and mandatory online reg...
Oct 22, 2004, 11:58
Re: Pirates and mandatory online reg... Oct 22, 2004, 11:58
Oct 22, 2004, 11:58

They lied to us with a straight face. And then they got hacked, and they started lying again...

So yeah, Valve has lied to us. But how is that relevant now? The only relevant thing is that they are screwing customers in the ass, and that makes people pirate it.

I laugh my ass off everytime I hear someone spout this. "They lied to us! I'm never trusting them again!". Trust them with what? Your bank account? Nuclear secrets? So a company hyped a product and didn't totally deliver everything they said they would at the exact time they said they would. Wow...yep, string 'em up boys!

Also, the code was stolen and the guys that did it were caught. But no, I'm sure you people still feel it was all lies made up by Valve in a "cover up". lol...It's a cover up! The lies and misinformation on this cover up have spread to the upper parts of the system! Don't trust them! Don't trust anyone!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Valve is sitting there rubbing their hands together all in a room saying "Muhahahahaha...we're treating our customers like filth....muhahahahaha".

Give me a break...

Re:
Oct 22, 2004, 10:43
Re: Oct 22, 2004, 10:43
Oct 22, 2004, 10:43

Yeah, Steam may be a good idea, it may turn out to revolutionise gaming, it may not do anything nasty to my PC (albiet do you have a sure-fire guarentee of that?)... but if I don't want it, why should I be forced to install it to use something I do want?

Do I have a sure-fire guarantee that it's not going to do anything nasty? Do you have a sure-fire guarantee of ANY program that's not going to do something nasty to your machine? Why is Steam...of all the things that's on your computer right at this moment that can access the net...why is Steam singled out?

Ok, Uncle MysticGeek is gonna fix this all for you paranoids out there. Get HL2...install it just like it says to do...when the name and email address come up, give them something...anything, and install Steam to set it up for you. Then, when everything is installed and you can play HL, UNINSTALL STEAM! Wow, that's pretty easy.

Course, any bug-fixes or updates to the game and any free content they may throw on (yes, they do that), you'll be SOL. but since you all lock yourselves into an air-tight vault with a self-contained power supply and no wires leading in or out of said vault, this shouldn't bother you!

OH NO! THERE'S A HACKER TRYING TO BREAK INTO YOUR COMPUTER!!!! Better log off now!

Re: Beamer
Oct 22, 2004, 10:34
Re: Beamer Oct 22, 2004, 10:34
Oct 22, 2004, 10:34

the access controlled by a school, or university campus

You shouldn't be playing games at school you little slacker! Now get offline and do your homework! I'm not paying 60K a year for you to play games!

And call your Mom once in a while...

signed Red Foreman...

Oct 22, 2004, 10:24
Re: No subject Oct 22, 2004, 10:24
Oct 22, 2004, 10:24

Um...grocery stores don't do 100% markups...don't know where you're getting that from. And also, "around here" could be anyplace, but here in the US you don't have to have a discount card...thats only for specials and on sale items. At least all the stores around here. It's not like you have to have a card, and the food is still cheap. Stop with the paranoia...sheesh, you think the food nazi's are gonna come knock on your door if you give them...GASP...your name! Junk mail nazis maybe...

But getting back to this, you're saying you don't hook up your computer to the net because you're afraid of it being hacked. So a free firewall like Zonealarm and the one in SP2 are out of the question? Also, spyware can be cleaned out without problem...I'm going from experience here because I don't LET spyware invade my computer. How? I stay on top of things that's how. Steam isn't spyware btw. They're not transfering personal info from your computer without your knowledge for Christsake! Look, if you want to play it, you sign up to steam...hell, give them a @yahoo address and sign it Turd Fergeson for all that matter. It's their way of verifying the game I suppose, so all you little pirates out there don't rip off 6 years of development. Will there be ways around this, I'm sure...but what would you have them do? How pirated is HL now? How pirated is any game? Should they not even have a security measure? Should they not even try to recoup their development costs? What would you have them do? CD-keys are too easy to break today. If you don't like this, don't play it. But your way out is to "consider looking for a pirate version" like it's some sort of life-saving drug the government is keeping from you! "I don't like giving a fake email address and name so I'm just going to totally rip them off". Yeah, way ta go!

You people are way way WAY too paranoid.

Oct 22, 2004, 09:22
Re: No subject Oct 22, 2004, 09:22
Oct 22, 2004, 09:22

HOW DARE THEY! They expect us to have a net connection! What year do they think this is? 2004 or something?!?! Don't they understand that people that have the horsepower in a computer to run the Source engine as in HL2 usually do NOT have any sort of net connection! What do they think we are, NASA?!?!

And how dare they charge for this game, it should be free! Valve is nothing but a bunch of money-grubbing jerks to make us pay for a game...A GAME!

Here is a list of demands for Valve:

1. Stop lying to us! We trusted you...er...don't know with what but lots of people are saying you let us down...somehow...so stop it!
2. Stop charging for your games, give them away or else you're a sell-out!
3. I want every game and every map and every mod ever made for HL/CS/DoD/Tron etc etc to be converted to the Source engine AND be included on the free CD that you will be giving away with HL2. AND I want everything on just one CD.
4. I want Source to run 150fps on my Pentium 90 with Stock VGA graphics...using DX9.0c. Anything more than that and you guys just don't know how to program.
5. I don't want any bugs, none. If one bug shows up I'll sue you!
6. I want you to hire a private police force to hunt down any myg0t people or anyone that's ever visted their web-site. This is your responsibility!

Do these things and perhaps maybe I'll play the game...but only maybe.

Re: Long time.
Oct 19, 2004, 18:56
Re: Long time. Oct 19, 2004, 18:56
Oct 19, 2004, 18:56

You get what you pay for

and since I live in the US and pay taxes...I did pay for this...kinda sorta...

Re: teak?
Oct 19, 2004, 16:17
Re: teak? Oct 19, 2004, 16:17
Oct 19, 2004, 16:17

Hopefully they'll patch their Punkbuster client. I've had the worst luck with PB and that game for some reason. I keep getting a "PB client in distress" in the console then it kicks me...and of course, when it kicks you the console is wiped out and you can't see what the problem is. I've gone to PB's website, I've upgraded their software with their little software-uprady-thingy and that works like for one session, then when I go today to play I start getting the "PB client in distress" again. Needless to say, I just uninstalled it.

Maybe I AM just a punk to them...

Oct 19, 2004, 11:43
Re: No subject Oct 19, 2004, 11:43
Oct 19, 2004, 11:43

from what I gather, though I can't find a source at the moment, but the SDK modeler will be based on SoftImage XSI...which I like over Maya...but that's just me.

Also, from the moderator on the Steam boards, the crew at Valve just started a 4 week vacation...so I'm wondering if the %n bug and the wallhacks will be there for the next few weeks. So far, no word from Valve or anyone as to when these will be fixed. Until they are, I'm not going to try to play CS:Source since the last few days it's been only like 5 minutes online before Mr. %n comes online and takes us down while shouting "mEh iZ dA rUlEz j00 aLLz" or whatever their oxygen-starved brains write.

Lol, because it's ready
Oct 19, 2004, 08:49
Lol, because it's ready Oct 19, 2004, 08:49
Oct 19, 2004, 08:49

HomeLAN - Why did Valve decide to make the full version of Counter-Strike: Source available immediately to people who pre-order Half-Life 2 via Steam?

Doug Lombardi - Because it's ready.

This is too funny. Yeah, it's ready all right. Ready with built in wallhacks (via the "mat_" commands in console) and a client crash bug that was just too stupid for words.

I love CS:Source and all, but it's unplayabe at the moment with people crashing clients left and right. It will be fixed I'm sure with everyone screaming about it on their forums, but still, it's a damn shame that it ended up in the code in the first place.

Oct 7, 2004, 18:23
Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 18:23
Oct 7, 2004, 18:23

You can't have physics in HL:S, the gameplay would be completely broken, you people should try using your brain every now and then

So please, enlighten us, oh great brain user! Can you point to the web page that has Valve talking about HL1:Source not having the physics etc etc? Or are you just pulling this out of your ass? Is that what people who "use their brains every now and then" do?

Re: My 'purchasing' experience
Oct 7, 2004, 17:49
Re: My 'purchasing' experience Oct 7, 2004, 17:49
Oct 7, 2004, 17:49

Well, when you have 1000's of people making a mad rush to purchase it all at the same time, there's going to be a little lag no matter WHO you are.

Also, in case you didn't know, HL:Source would be like CS:Source in that everything is redone...new physics, new lighting and yes, new textures.

It's not like they just took the old maps and just put new physics on them. They're only the old maps in name and geography only...everything IN them is new.

Re: I think it's great so far
Oct 7, 2004, 16:47
Re: I think it's great so far Oct 7, 2004, 16:47
Oct 7, 2004, 16:47

So does this mean you dont even get to play CS: source.

No, you can play CS:Source now...I meant just wait for NEW maps to be made for it...instead of just the ones that come with it...(ie dust, amazon etc etc)

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 16:48.

I think it's great so far
Oct 7, 2004, 16:31
I think it's great so far Oct 7, 2004, 16:31
Oct 7, 2004, 16:31

I just paid for the bronze, as I feel if I ever want to play Day of Defeat: Source or TFC: Source I'll just buy them when they come out...not that I played them much as it was.

but I got CS:Source and I have to say, I"m totally impressed. I like the graphics MUCH better then Doom3's...not that I saw a lot in Doom3's graphics...but Doom3 DID scare the crap out of me a few times. I like the physics model, I like the dust in the air, I like that "spray and pray" is pretty much nill now.

And yeah, I think it's kinda cool that you buy it now, when HL2 comes out, you have it...but at least you can play SOMETHING now. And just wait for new maps using the Source engine!

Oh, and the reason I'm posting on here instead of playing is because my kid kicked me off the games computer.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 16:36.

Ignore the Gartner group
Sep 30, 2004, 13:43
Ignore the Gartner group Sep 30, 2004, 13:43
Sep 30, 2004, 13:43

OK, I mean, everyone knows that the Gartner Group's biggest supporter is Microsoft. I mean, this is documented and well known. Not trying to be a "grassy noll" kinda guy, but that is a well known fact.

But the truth is, ANY computer that comes with either no OS or Linux can be converted to a pirated version of Windows. Why single out Linux? You CAN buy a computer without an OS you know.

Also, where did they come up with the "40% of all blah blah"...where are they pulling this number from? Doesn't specify in the article...so I that number is suspect.

So again, FUD again from the FUDmeisters themselves.

Re: Bound to happen
Sep 7, 2004, 14:16
Re: Bound to happen Sep 7, 2004, 14:16
Sep 7, 2004, 14:16

"It wasn't just me feeling that way. I know well over a hundred people that said they didn't really have any fun anymore"

Ok, I smell bullshit here. So I'll play along. I know THOUSANDS of people that still play EQ to this day that love it and don't think it's work at all and have fun all the time.

OK, all joking aside, I know know a ton of people..well, everyone I play with which is around 75 or so in the guild I'm in that love playing. It's social, it's fun. We goof around, and have a good time. If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't play, it's that simple.

So now you're going to have to change what you know. Because NOW you know of a hundred people that didn't really have fun anymore, and around 75 that DO have fun.

But you won't say that will you. You have your own little opinion about MMORPG's and that's that. Everyone else is wrong.

If you don't like EQ, then don't play it. Only an idiot plays something for 4 years when it wasn't fun after 6 months. Are we all suppose to bow to your "wisdom"? Doesn't sound very wise to me. I respect the guy that played for 6 months and never played again then the guy that didn't have fun, then played an additional 3.5 years!

I mean, come on!

Re: Bound to happen
Sep 7, 2004, 09:38
Re: Bound to happen Sep 7, 2004, 09:38
Sep 7, 2004, 09:38

Actually, many people still find Everquest fun...they have friends online and going around and killing things to THEM is fun. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean that all MMORPGs have to just die...you don't like playing them...then don't play them. Wow, problem solved. But many people seem to want to voice their opinion on how others are so stupid to play something they find "work" to...I don't know...make them feel better about themselves? Like I don't understand the love of "The Sims". Yet it's one of the top games ever...EVER. My wife loves playing it, I don't get it, She doesn't get Doom 3. Doesn't mean I want "The Sims" gone. What do I care?

Remember the old saying "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"? I wish more people would adhere to that.

82 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older