Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 797 (Graduate)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
6. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 23, 2018, 16:21 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild got game of the year and not handheld of the year. Not that I think it deserves either.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 23, 2018, 11:51 BIGtrouble77

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 11:43:
MacLeod wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 11:10:
that maps link doesn't appear to be working.
Link from reddit is the same and the whole site is fubared.
Probably went tit's up due to traffic.
I've seen that article posted everywhere. I don't understand why blog sites aren't published with static content more often. It's trivial to setup one of those static blogging engines... if you publish to S3 then you will never go down.

News Comments > Stellaris: Apocalypse Now!
7. Re: Stellaris: Apocalypse Now! Feb 22, 2018, 16:41 BIGtrouble77

Stellaris DLC seem to garb a premium over CK2 and EUIV. I don't remember the last time one of those DLC cost $20.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week
11. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week Feb 20, 2018, 13:18 BIGtrouble77

I'm going to have to revisit things when the new release is out. I stopped playing a couple months ago when I got stuck doing an engineering upgrade. Still kind of frustrated with how that whole mechanic works. I need to improve my Anaconda for better jump ranges, but that stupid engineering mini game keeps me questioning if I got an acceptable role or not.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 19, 2018, 14:05 BIGtrouble77

Bill Gates had incredible vision until around 1995. Once the internet era took over, the guy has been continually wrong on just about everything. To now criticize improved customer security measures is just absurd. I have a feeling he's talking directly to MS shareholders here.  

News Comments > New Paradox CEO
12. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 16:04 BIGtrouble77

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:49:
See, I don't get that sentiment AT ALL. What exactly is "awesome" about a piecemeal delivery? What is awesome about getting game mechanics delivered YEARS later that should have been (and were most likely planned to be) in the game from the start?
I bought CK2 on launch day for $39. That did not feel like a full game at launch, but subsequent free patches over time has given me far more content than I ever expected. I have all of the expansions now, but the game is still enjoyable without them. If you don't like the game then you will obviously not like this DLC policy. I love the game... at this point I'd rather see more expansions than a CK3.

6. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 13:54 BIGtrouble77

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:14:
Or you can sit and listen to their livestreams for the upcoming Stellaris DLC. People are asking which feature being shown is going to be part of the DLC or part of the patch. It's roughly a 50/50 split, with new content leaning DLC and QoL improvements leaning patch.

Those of us that actually play Paradox games (not Cutter) know this to be true... I'd much rather pay for a few CK2 DLC throughout the year rather than pay for a new version every year like the Madden/NHL franchises do.

5. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 13:50 BIGtrouble77

From what I understand, the new CEO comes from a gambling site background. If you've listened to the Paradox podcast, it's depressingly clear that they want to start introducing lootbox mechanics, which adds some possible context to why they made this move.

I absolutely love Paradox and like their DLC policy, but this really worries me. I hope I'm off base on this one.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 12, 2018, 13:22 BIGtrouble77

Two things shocked me about Canada's politics... the first is that religious freedom seemed prioritized over gender equality- I saw some of this directly with he incoming refugees into our community. The other shock was discovering that Canada does not have free speech. Blew my mind that criticizing bad ideas can be constituted as hate crimes in Canada.

Canada (maybe just Trudeau?) wants this identity as being the ultimate utopia for the people of the world... that all religions and cultures are welcome with open arms. Absurd, bad ideas are bad ideas. People should not be afraid to speak out against them. And women coming over from these backwards countries should enjoy the same rights and privileges as any other Canadian citizen.

News Comments > Into the Breach This Month
3. Re: Into the Breach This Month Feb 7, 2018, 20:26 BIGtrouble77

Not sure about this one. I would have prefered FTL2.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2018, 12:33 BIGtrouble77

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 11:06:

You crazy americans and your constant need to talk about your president.

When I lived in Canada, all anyone ever wanted to do was talk about Trump.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 6, 2018, 10:01 BIGtrouble77

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 20:50:
Good. I want to see it drop to $7.50, so that I can finally buy a video card without taking out a second mortgage. Totally selfish, but I'm ok with that...
Bitcoin is not why your video card is expensive. It's all of the other crypto currencies that can efficiently mine with cards (ethereum, zcash, monero, etc).

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
11. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 01:15 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 19:03:
Finally got around to uninstalling. Complete waste of $10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than this game. X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.
Where the hell is the next Commander Keen? Better than this ED garbage. /s

And what the hell did Cutter post on July 2006?

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
22. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 13:11 BIGtrouble77

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 12:53:
The average person is just too stupid to critically analyze what they see.

There's is a sever lack of intellectual curiosity with the general population that I never realized existed to the extent it does. I don't know how to solve the problem in this age of identity politics and the hive mind it creates.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2018, 17:10 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 16:54:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 15:53:
So then what do AMD/Nvidia do when mining is no longer viable on their cards?

Same as they do when games aren't viable on their old cards anymore: They make new cards?

What happens when ASIC-like miners obsolete GPUS for Ethash?

That looks like language but I have no idea what you just said.

I think it's very much in their interest for computer gaming to remain healthy.

No company in America has the capacity to think long term. Both are publicly traded, so "the next 3 months" is literally all they can think about.

Bitcoin uses sha256 hashing algorithm. In the early days of Bitcoin you could mine it on GPU hardware. But eventually the Chinese developed ASIC chips that are much more efficient at hashing that algorithm. Today it's completely unprofitable to mine Bitcoin with a non-ASIC chip.

Ethereum, on the other hand, uses the ETHash algorithm, which is primarily mined on GPUs. There is no dedicated chips that target the EThash algorithm like we have with sha256. So my point is, if dedicated hardware to mine ETHash is produced then there will no longer be demand for AMD/Nvidia's cards except for gamers. The complexity to mine Ethereum will go up so much that GPU hardware will no longer be viable.

I'm sure mining is equally scary and exciting for nvidia and amd. I have a 6 card 1070 rig that mines Ethereum and the profits now are kind of crazy. I'm currently making $30/day. I'd buy more if I could. But I also want to buy a Vega64 for my gaming rig and it's just not gonna happen any time soon. Kind of frustrating that I have to deal with that, but I decided I'll mine too while things are so fucked up.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2018, 15:53 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 13:09:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:54:
Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:49:
Crypto mining will fucking kill PC gaming...
I hope AMD and NVIDIA can start releasing crippled mining cards that can only be used for gaming.

Why would they? They make as much money off a sale to a miner as they do to a gamer. And the miners will buy even the old shit.

I've heard people mention that same sentiment before, but it makes no business sense for AMD/Nvidia to do so.
So then what do AMD/Nvidia do when mining is no longer viable on their cards? What happens when ASIC-like miners obsolete GPUS for Ethash?

I think it's very much in their interest for computer gaming to remain healthy.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2018, 12:54 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:49:
Crypto mining will fucking kill PC gaming...
I hope AMD and NVIDIA can start releasing crippled mining cards that can only be used for gaming. They can cater to miners, but don't sacrifice the PC gaming market in the process. PC Gaming has a better future than catering to short term mining trends.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2018, 10:17 BIGtrouble77

Are miners going to buy the Vega cards with the radiator coolers? Seems to me that miners would avoid those because they won't cleanly fit in an open-air mining case.  

News Comments > PUBG Known Issues
7. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 27, 2018, 18:47 BIGtrouble77

I have personally not noticed any egregious lag issues. In fact, I'm not sure I notice any lag issues at all. The fact I'm on gigabit fiber might be part of it, but I don't think that would put the blame on the game.

Like every multiplayer FPS, I do great when the game is first released, but I progressively suck worse and worse as time goes on. I just can't compete with the kids that play 100 hours a week while I'm hopping in for a game or two on the weekend.

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
4. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 12:43 BIGtrouble77

Dev describing the coil with a confused, bewildered look... "It's a technical nightmare".

I love everything about this game. I don't think we will ever again have an example of game design hubris at this level. The drama and comedy writes itself at this point.

797 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo