Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 614 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard's Unannounced First-Person Game
15. Re: Blizzard's Unannounced First-Person Game Nov 22, 2016, 16:19 BIGtrouble77

So is this one of those situations where they had mandatory layoffs after their last release and now have to hire people back to start the next project?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-02-16-layoffs-at-activision-blizzard

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 13:55 BIGtrouble77

Man, I thought moving to Canada would give me some relief from US politics. If anything, I've become the goto guy up here to explain to Canadians what the hell is going on in the US.

It's amazing that virtually all Canadians I've spoken to think campaign finance laws up here are the same as in the states. They also don't understand why so many Americans just despise the Clintons. I can't handle explaining these things any more, yet I feel like it's only just begun.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 21, 2016, 13:45 BIGtrouble77

ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 10:47:
I never use apps like the Facebook app or the Youtube app for example. Their websites work great on phones and are full featured. Why would I waste space, cpu, battery and start time with these apps?
I like the Youtube app on iOS. My main issue is with the web version is integration... whenever an app or site links to a youtube url, I want to be logged in so I can potentially subscribe to the channel and get the video I'm watching in my history. Since iOS spawns a new webkit instances with no saved cookies, I would have to go through the log in process. With the app you can also watch a video while you browse in youtube, something I do every day. I also get system alarms for some streams I've marked so the unique app features do justify using it, imo.

I've been Facebook free for 2 years and have no desire to go back to that cesspool so I fully support removing that terrible app. I'm a webdeveloper myself so I almost always prefer the web version over the app, but for media I tend to prefer the app experience (youtube, twitch, vimeo, podcasts, etc).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2016, 02:01 BIGtrouble77

Visually, this game looks absolutely stunning. The only issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be any economic component in Sandbox mode. I've also seen the Scenario criticized as being far too easy. I definitely think the game should be easy for kids, but us adults should have a completely unforgiving experience.  

News Comments > Master of Orion DLC Next Month
2. Re: Master of Orion DLC Next Month Nov 18, 2016, 14:18 BIGtrouble77

Is anyone still playing this? It got mediocre reviews when it was released and had a lot of competition in the 4x space.  

News Comments > The Dwarves Trailer
2. Re: The Dwarves Trailer Nov 17, 2016, 14:21 BIGtrouble77

That cutscene reminds me of the cutscenes in the Sid Mier's Pirates! remake.  

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta
4. Re: American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta Nov 16, 2016, 14:28 BIGtrouble77

I have completely stopped playing the game in anticipation of this release. Super excited to give this a spin tonight.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Fall Update
18. Re: Battlefield 1 Fall Update Nov 15, 2016, 19:37 BIGtrouble77

Has anyone been playing this game with an RX480? I just ordered one and was curious how well it works. I've been running a GTX 780 for several years now that I have no idea what the AMD experience is like. That said, the game looks gorgeous on my GTX780... amazed this card can handle this game at 1440p like a champ.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 14, 2016, 18:45 BIGtrouble77

What better way to cap off a year of record breaking losses than to blow $8B on a mostly irrelevant audio company. Samsung is starting to feel like the Floyd Mayweather of the tech industry.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
82. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 19:17 BIGtrouble77

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 17:09:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 14:47:
I'm a dual US/Canadian living in BC. I'm stressing about my 8 year old son, when I dropped him off at school today all of the talk was around how horrible Trump and the US are. My son is the only American in his grade so I'm mentally preparing for the bullying to come. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Your fear of your son being bullied because he is an American sounds more like an indictment on Canada than America.

Canadians are not as warm and cheery as the rest of the world likes to think they are, at least not in BC. I love living here, but my son has to deal with much of the same BS I did as a kid growing up in NJ. It has just been surreal today, I keep hearing the word "Trump" echoing everywhere, never expected that would happen when I moved up here.

Good news is my son had a great day at school so our fears were unfounded. Just a weird day.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 14:47 BIGtrouble77

I'm a dual US/Canadian living in BC. I'm stressing about my 8 year old son, when I dropped him off at school today all of the talk was around how horrible Trump and the US are. My son is the only American in his grade so I'm mentally preparing for the bullying to come. Hopefully I'm wrong.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 2 Next Year
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2 Next Year Nov 2, 2016, 12:48 BIGtrouble77

My son is going to beg me for this and I will cave and get him the season pass... again. At least it satisfies the 7-8 year old demographic.  

News Comments > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 Released
1. Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 3 Released Oct 31, 2016, 19:13 BIGtrouble77

I've been playing this quite a bit during beta. I think once all of the bugs are smashed this series will finally be a good alternative to EHM. The OOTP guys definitely seem to be more serious about making a good game, but it's unfortunate the previously releases were absolutely abysmal. EHM has the potential to be nearly as good as Football Manager, but SI is completely unwilling to take any risk on the series, while OOTP is putting everything they have into FHM.  

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 17:06 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:29:
edit: I do see your other post, you specifically need to develop on a linux laptop?

Yeah, Logic Pro and Unity are very important so my only choices are Windows or Mac. I do web development in Node, Ruby and Python. My dev env uses Docker, so that's all in a Linux container- windows can do all of this, but there are lots of compromises that I have to make. I've done dual booting for years and have no desire to keep doing that if it's avoidable.

The other thing is my Apple hardware lasts forever and keeps its value really well. I understand it costs a lot up front, but I've gotten a huge amount back when I've sold my previous macbooks, iphones and ipads. I've only been able to get pennies for my PC hardware. I even gave away one of my gtx780s to a Blues reader since I couldn't get any decent $ for it.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:14 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:46:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting all of my luck by having a PC that doesn't shit itself every time it gets updated or turned off. Sometimes... I just want to win a game of poker.

I don't really understand people that come on bragging about all of the problems they have with Windows, as if your level of technical inadequacy is supposed to impress people. Do they really think that it's all just a big lie and every windows computer out there is just crashing all the time?

Have no fear, PEBCAK supports all operating systems and hardware equally.

I was a Windows network admin for 5 years (2001-2006). I custom built several hundred PCs over that period. I dealt with every imaginable issue with XP At the time. When I slid into development I moved to linux because it was just better for what I was doing. I'm hardly inadequate. It's very simple for me... if I agree that I am inadequate, how much time is it going to take for me to learn the things I need to know to avoid the problems I've been having? The reality is, it's potentially a huge time sink to address the types of issues I've been having. Since using a mac for work, I've needed almost zero investment of time in just keeping the machines ups and running reliably. I still have a 2009 iMac running as a plex server and it continues getting the latest OS updates.

I'm happy some of you guys have not had issues, I really do wish I've had that kind of luck. The reality is, it's probably not luck, it's more being good at avoiding the kinds of things that can surface problems.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:06 BIGtrouble77

Nullity wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:16:
Good news! There's this other, completely FREE, operating system environment called Linux that lets you do just what you want, without selling a kidney for the Apple tax, put up with their stupid anti-convenience design decisions, or having to endure their awful UI!

So yeah, sarcasm aside, your post seem like you were willfully ignoring every other flavor of *nix keep your spot on the Apple fanboi bandwagon.

I'm also a developer/programmer. Linux is great for this, but if I had to use a Mac, I'd feel like Peter Gibbons in Office Space, pre-hypnosis.
I ran Desktop Linux for 5 years as my primary machine. It is great in a desktop environment, but terrible on a laptop. Things like Sleep/Hibernate were not reliable. Updates broke my env too often. I LOVE linux, I probably have about 10 linux installations going around my house, but I can't use it on my laptops.

I also do music recording in Logic Pro on my laptop. It's so much better than what Linux has to offer (Ardour) and works with zero latency problems. I would love to go back to Linux 100%, but I just can't at the moment.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 13:53 BIGtrouble77

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 12:55:
At what point are people going to realize they are being ripped off by Apple's design choices instead of it enhancing the usability of their devices in any meaningful ways. The phone and the laptop already got small enough. Sacrificing convenient usability for this aesthetic they are pushing is really just a money grab, plain and simple.

Donglegate. lol

I can give you my reasoning... I'm a developer that has work in a *NIX env my whole career. To use Windows 10 for what I do would just kill me, it's a horrid environment for work. I have nothing but issues on my gaming PC, and it all comes down to Windows being shitty and hardware vendors providing shitty drivers and software.

My MacBook pro can go months without a single restart, where it goes to sleep around a dozen times a day- the only restarts I do initiate are for security updates. I have trouble getting my windows machines to wake from sleep/hibernation. When it does work, my wifi usually has to be killed and restarted or else I'll get a "limited" connection. Oh, and getting a wifi adapter 6 months ago on windows 10 was a disaster, NOTHING supported 5Ghz reliably.

I just had a storage issue on my gaming machine where the hibernation file expanded to 200gb and kept filling up my drive. Windows is shit and I can't depend on it for work. As a contractor, I gladly pay a premium for apple hardware because I almost never have issues and I can work in a *nix environment.

On top of that, since steam came to the mac there has been a torrent of new games supported on the platform. Gaming in mac/linux isn't so bad anymore if you don't need the latest AAA titles.

All that said, this is the first time I'm pissed about some of the changes apple is making. Removing the ESC key fucks with my VIM setup. Removing the audio jack creates charging uses for my phone (if I bought the iphone7). Apple is trying to converge the iPad and mac, and this is the painful transition period. I have no idea what their end game is, but I'm starting not to like it. I'm 2 years away from buying a new laptop so I'll decided what to do next then.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 22:24 BIGtrouble77

I have no desire to upgrade my 2014 mbPro any time soon, but damn Apple screwed us VI users by getting rid of the ESC key. I'm going to have to do some key remapping to fix this cluster fuck if I ever get one of these.  

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Preloads
4. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Preloads Oct 25, 2016, 22:41 BIGtrouble77

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 22:29:
nin wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 21:19:
Looks wonderful, from what I've seen. Hope performance doesn't suffer...

Considering we've had like four generations of new video cards come out since 11/11/11, I'm not sure it'll make much difference even if it does.
I'm still using the same card as when I bought Skyrim

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Oct 24, 2016, 19:29 BIGtrouble77

I hope this patch addresses the mp issue where I'm apparently shooting with rubber bullets and everyone else is shooting with brain-seeking lethal bullets.  

614 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo