Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 644 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 8, 2017, 14:28 BIGtrouble77

Dev wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 05:58:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 23:02:
I have my retro pi setup using my original SNES controllers.
How? I got a USB to SNES controller adapter a while back, are you doing something like that?

I use this thing:
http://amzn.to/2jrfwam

Works flawlessly. Retropie immediately detects my 2 controllers, no lag, no issues.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 23:02 BIGtrouble77

If you go the Pi route, there is an image available by searching "retropie" in our favorite nordic search engine. It completely fills a 64gb card.

I have my retro pi setup using my original SNES controllers.

News Comments > Firewatch Sells 1M
10. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 5, 2017, 01:01 BIGtrouble77

Leper wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:38:
Sorry, but it's definitely a game. The gameplay consists of finding your way to objectives using the map, deciding what dialogue options your character speaks, and enjoying the story, scenery, sounds, dialogue and atmosphere. Maybe not the most exciting game, but then neither was Myst. It sounds like you enjoyed it in your own way as well and it didn't cost you anything, so I don't know what's to complain about. What is the price exactly? I think I paid less for my lunch today.
(I looked it up and it's currently at $12).

Couldn't disagree more. You cannot affect the outcome, you are just walking through a predetermined story- there's no finding your way. Yes, you interact with some things, but it's completely linear and require zero problem solving. There are some different dialog choices, but it has almost no effect on the story. The "game" is also loaded with invisible walls, so there's absolutely no way to go explore and possibly "loose" because you miss important events, stumble on something bad or some other kind of x-factor.

This is a walking simulator that has an ok story around it. I would have bought it for the full price when it came out if it was longer and there was some kind of game mechanic in it. I can think of a few that would make this very compelling. I feel like the devs were very creative and passionate, but forgot to actually insert a game anywhere.

All that said, I thought the ending was great, which it was heavily criticized for. I don't want to spoil it, but I thought it was a really great psychological experiment. But none of that makes this a game.

News Comments > Firewatch Sells 1M
4. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 16:09 BIGtrouble77

I watched a youtube series on this game- and calling it a game is a stretch. The guy broke it up into 6, 30 minute parts. We all chatted about it and had a cool little community around the series.

That said, I think I got more out of the game enjoying it that way than actually playing it. I would buy it for $5, but no more... I really don't want to support 3 hour experiences with virtually no gameplay. As good as the story is, Firewatch is shallow and empty and most definitely not worth the price. The only way I think I could buy it is if it had a good VR experience and I actually owned a VR headset.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 21:32 BIGtrouble77

I have to get a monitor soon. Is FreeSync2 worth waiting for? I use a 1440p screen and I'm content with 60fps gaming (I have a Radeon480). I have not seen any FreeSync monitors under $600 that aren't hideous looking.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 1, 2017, 00:44 BIGtrouble77

Dacote wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 09:12:
You do know that Consumer Reports did the testing right? This is THE leading third party, independent, nonprofit organization that does not take outside advertising money, no free samples, etc. etc. etc. for almost 80 years? If they say something is wrong, something is wrong.

The Consumer Reportsí verdict sits in line with complaints from several users. A report on Bloomberg earlier this month claimed that Apple had faced challenges with an improved battery module on the new MacBook Pro and it settled with older battery technology to meet the holiday shipping target.
The article stated that the issue was a software bug. The update apparently fixed the issue. When you are testing a device and get unpredictable results, it is generally assumed that you should be contacting the company to get some feedback. A publication like CR should be doing that. My point was, contacting apple and getting feedback was not going to win them any sales or ad impressions.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 31, 2016, 03:52 BIGtrouble77

Slick wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 00:47:
I thought they fixed the battery issue with a software update though?

They originally said that they'll re-test when apple fix it with a patch, apple supposedly did, then CR said that they didn't feel like re-testing...

Not sure what to think here...
I assume it's because their horrific testing practices would come under even more scrutiny. The reality is that they are going to sell more magazines and get more ad revenue if they have a bold story saying an Apple product is shit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers
19. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 24, 2016, 16:10 BIGtrouble77

This is a good move for Star Citizen. Moving to horizontally scaling cloud architectures from a hyper optimized vertically scaled architecture is always a good thing. It will let them handle massive traffic spikes and save costs when things die down.

I'm also assuming that this system will optimize by region and aggregate users by region out of the box. I'm just curious how much of the latest release uses this tech... especially the star marines multiplayer. If this can get them into a rapid dev cycle then we may start seeing real world value and so much code won't need to be thrown out.

I'm most definitely not a fan boy, but this is tech I would look into if I was looking to create a MMO.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
4. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 12:31 BIGtrouble77

So Australian Steam users don't have the same refund policy that we have in North America?  

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
34. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 21:21 BIGtrouble77

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 15:01:
I don't care about HL3 anymore.

I contracted for a company a year and a half ago that was in the e-sports business. Unbeknownst to me, the investors wanted to bring me in to get a handle on their team and get them focused.

I come to find that this group of about 20 guys (teens and 20s) modeled their company after Valve's corporate structure. I forget what they called it, but it basically allows for anyone to work on whatever they wanted if the majority of the team voted in favor of the project.

The end result of this was that they only worked on shit that interested them, none of the critical, business driven, mundane stuff got addressed. They had one of the shittiest vertically scaling app architecture that I've ever seen and no one would vote on fixing the obvious design flaws.

I can completely see how a company like valve could suffer from this type of culture. I use the steam mac client and the damn thing stops responding to clicks after 10 minutes of being open- this has existed since the first release of the mac client. The iOS app is just a joke, I still can't play videos on it. Anything valve does that has anything to do with stability or fine tuning is just non existent.

As far as HL3 is concerned, if the guys are only interested in the cool tech in the game and not about doing that sprint to finish the game, it's never going to get done.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Dec 21, 2016, 23:25 BIGtrouble77

Task wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 20:26:
Give the kid something age appropriate to watch like Dragon Ball.
You assume I don't already do that?

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
6. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Dec 21, 2016, 20:42 BIGtrouble77

Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 16:44:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 15:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:45:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:16:
Does AMD have a driver manager like nvidia's geforce experience?

Kinda? They dropped support for AMD Gaming Evolved.

Well, that's unfortunate. I don't use the geforce experience for the game profiles (I found my own tweaks work better), but I liked using it for managing my driver updates.
The driver update check and notification is built in, as in the Crimson series.
Game profiles should also be in.
awesome, thanks for clarifying.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Dec 21, 2016, 19:09 BIGtrouble77

Has anyone actually seen the movie? My 8 year old really wants to see it, but I'm not sure if it's going to be age appropriate. He plays Black Flag with the blood off, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to explain the story and take issue with any language/nudity/violence.  

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 21, 2016, 19:02 BIGtrouble77

Tom wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 18:50:
I held out on upgrading from a 5 year old MBP but when I saw they screwed up the keyboard I was like "see ya Apple, I'm out". I'll just keep using the old MBP. If I really need a new laptop it'll have to be a Microsoft or Dell (ugh ugh ugh) unless Apple gets their act together, but that seems unlikely. What are they smoking over there anyway?

You can still buy the macbook "escape"... that is, a current model with the escape key, but that will be a model that's most definitely going to disappear.

I can make this all work out, but I'd have to remap the tick key to be escape, and make TAB the tick. That's not a deal breaker, but it just seems entirely unnecessary. It's such a useful key that has universal appeal.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 21, 2016, 17:15 BIGtrouble77

The only issue I have with the new macbooks is the lack of an escape key... as a developer, it's one of my most used keys so adjusting to a world without it is an unnecessary headache.

Why not shift the keys around and get rid of TAB. Who the hell still uses TAB so much that it needs a dedicated key?

The macbook touch bar is an entirely different computer in the macbook (basically an apple watch). It also controls the touch id, which sandboxes that functionality, making it nearly impervious to remote attacks. That is awesome, but I don't understand why that required removing an absolutely critical key.

The 16gb memory limit is unfortunate, but a bit over blown. I have 6 virtual desktops, about 50 running applications and I still have copious amounts of memory left. I'm not going to see any memory issues for a very long time, so this is much less of an issue for me.

4. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Dec 21, 2016, 15:31 BIGtrouble77

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:45:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:16:

Kinda? They dropped support for AMD Gaming Evolved.

Well, that's unfortunate. I don't use the geforce experience for the game profiles (I found my own tweaks work better), but I liked using it for managing my driver updates.

2. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Dec 21, 2016, 13:16 BIGtrouble77

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC Plans
4. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC Plans Dec 20, 2016, 16:42 BIGtrouble77

I'm noticing that people are just getting crazy good at the game, so it's hard for me to say people are cheating. Some people are putting in 4+ hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'm still awful at the game, but I've sniped people in the Zeppelins and planes through pure luck.

I'll definitely be snagging the DLC, the game can use a few more maps. My biggest criticism of the game is that there was no representation of Verdun. That said, I'm not enthusiastic that it will simulate real trench warfare.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
11. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:17 BIGtrouble77

Is this one of those videos that is designed to pump up the "base" supporters of this game?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 13, 2016, 04:03 BIGtrouble77

I'm constantly amazed at what the people do at Amazon to get my packages out so efficiently. Amazon engineers are another story.  

644 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo