Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 560 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Elite Dangerous: Guardians 2.2 Aug 21, 2016, 21:22 BIGtrouble77

Really looking forward to this ED update. I just outfitted an anaconda for trading that could use a crew of fighters.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced
1. Re: Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced Aug 19, 2016, 13:08 BIGtrouble77

I don't think Paradox intends to ever make an EU V or CK III.  

News Comments > City: Skylines: Natural Disasters Announced
7. Re: City: Skylines: Natural Disasters Announced Aug 18, 2016, 23:43 BIGtrouble77

DrEvil wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:45:
Not quite, SimCity still has a better and quite frankly, less ugly, UI. I also absolutely loathe the stupid bird ticker thing.

I like Skylines for the most part, but the UI is still pretty infuriating at times and economy planning doesn't seem to work out as well.

SimCity's UI may have a few issues, but at least it is consistent and far more pleasant to look at.

Simcity 5 had a great UI, it maintained the charm that existed since sim city 2000. Cities UI works, but it's pretty weak.

News Comments > Game Reviews
17. Re: Game Reviews Aug 15, 2016, 16:31 BIGtrouble77

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 14:26:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 14:19:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 11:19:
NMS would have been fine if they didn't present it as a AAA title. The $60 price tag just adds insult to injury. It should have been release as a $20 early access title.

I've read a lot of people getting about 30 hours or so out of the game. While I agree that this is a $20 game, I can see how people can justify the expense at $60. And although we're calling this an indie game, it doesn't look like an indie game. No 8-bit or 16-bit graphics like Starbound. No 2000-era graphics engine like Rodina or Pulsar. So it's easy to see why they're charging full price for this, and people are paying it.

And it's a new genre of game: Procedural Space Adventure?

If that's a new genre, then Elite Dangerous is the true innovator. When Elite was released it did not have a whole lot of content (and was criticized deservedly so), but Frontier nailed the simulation part. They nailed the physics, hyperspace travel, planet generation, universe modeling, etc. I can't say NMS succeeded in any of that from what I've seen.

The reason Frontier has chosen not to release the "earth-like" planet exploration module is because of all the reasons NMS is being criticized. Procedural generation of planets with life has never been done at a scale that these games need to be enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure NMS will drop to $20 range when the DLC start appearing, just like Elite did. It's a shell of a game that is going to need content updates for a very long time to come. Hopefully people will be patient and forgive this barebones release and look to future updates. I'll be holding off until much later. $67 EA titles are not my thing.

6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 15, 2016, 11:19 BIGtrouble77

NMS would have been fine if they didn't present it as a AAA title. The $60 price tag just adds insult to injury. It should have been release as a $20 early access title.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
11. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 12:21 BIGtrouble77

The more I hear about the negativity around this game, the more I think I'll like it. I love Elite and NMS appears to have the same kind of criticism. Seems like the exploration nature of both of these games gives an overall similar satisfaction if you are into that sort of thing.  

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
13. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 12:51 BIGtrouble77

I know I have not bought this because I don't think my GTX780 will cut it. I'll probably pick it up during the holiday steam sale which will coincide with my new video card purchase. Not sure how many others are in the same boat.  

News Comments > No Man Sky Patch & Plans
23. Re: No Man Sky Patch & Plans Aug 8, 2016, 13:57 BIGtrouble77

Watched some of the gameplay and it's not enough to take me away from Elite... it looks pretty tedious to be honest. Even though the two games are very different, they both scratch the same itch. I'll pick it up when it gets cheaper, I can't justify the cost right now.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2016, 16:42 BIGtrouble77

I love how piracy is listed as the main concern, yet piracy is already rampant with our existing systems. Grey market devices currently exist that allow you to decrypt cable providers content.  

News Comments > Planetoids DLC for Stellaris
5. Re: Planetoids DLC for Stellaris Aug 4, 2016, 14:09 BIGtrouble77

verybad1 wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 14:02:
Considering the amount of time you get out of their DLC's compared to say a few hours at a bar, I really don't see them as nickel and diming.

They're keeping their people employed and they spend a lot of time on improving all their games so over all I think Paradox is one of the best out there.

I have every DLC for CK2, EU4, HOI3 , Victoria 2, etc, I basically have every grand strategy paradox game. I've spent well over a thousand dollars on their games, I've helped put their employee's kids through college. The ONLY thing I don't like is their minor asset dlc policy.

News Comments > Planetoids DLC for Stellaris
3. Re: Planetoids DLC for Stellaris Aug 4, 2016, 13:52 BIGtrouble77

An so it begins...

I need to get back into this game... I bought it at launch, but it just made me crave Distant Worlds: Universe so I gave up on it kind of quickly. I have since put in about 100 hours in DW and never looked back at Stellaris.

I really like Paradox's DLC strategy for major DLC. The asset packs are a different story though. I always feel like I'm getting nickel and dimed... just puts the assets in the major DLC releases.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 3, 2016, 21:22 BIGtrouble77

"The first prelude alpha is now available from our website. For those of you who haven't caught on yet, the prelude is named Exanima. If you have alpha access then go grab it and then come to our forum and tell us what you think"

I never knew this is what they were doing. It kind of reminds me of how Richard Garriott made Akalabeth (which was just the dungeon crawling part of the game), and then released the full integrated world later in Ultima 1.

That said, I think I'm going to hold off on this until the greater game becomes available. The game looks kind of boring at the moment... I'll probably just buy Pillars of Eternity if I get that RPG itch.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2016, 16:15 BIGtrouble77

So fans of a movie (that has not been released yet) want to shut down a site that aggregates reviews from unaffiliated sources because they are negative? They have to be trolling.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 3, 2016, 16:04 BIGtrouble77

Did the devs offer Steam keys? I've been following this game for ages, but never pulled the trigger on it. It always looked like it was progressing well.  

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 16:01 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 15:25:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 13:02:
Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 11:48:
Senator Jeffrey D. Klein said: "Pokémon GO provided sex offenders with a virtual road map to our children. We know that pedophiles always seek new ways to lure victims and this new technology that entertains our kids, could also bring them close to dangerous individuals instead of Pokémon. In fact, my Pokémon GO investigation uncovered a disturbing correlation between high level sex offenders' residences and in-game objectives.

Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously?
Umm, you might want to add a little context with that outrage.

I mean it's idiotic. A pedo just has to fucking walk outside to see kids everywhere. What in the fucking fuck does Pokemon GO have to do with it? If I were Nintendo I'd sue the shit out of that moron for even suggesting it.
Well, I think the concern is that the game could be used as a tool for pedos to gain the trust of children... talking to children about the pokemon in the area is probably more effective than offering them jolly ranchers.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 13:02 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 11:48:
Senator Jeffrey D. Klein said: "Pokémon GO provided sex offenders with a virtual road map to our children. We know that pedophiles always seek new ways to lure victims and this new technology that entertains our kids, could also bring them close to dangerous individuals instead of Pokémon. In fact, my Pokémon GO investigation uncovered a disturbing correlation between high level sex offenders' residences and in-game objectives.

Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously?
Umm, you might want to add a little context with that outrage.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
24. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:39 BIGtrouble77

I think what's likely to happen is that MS will provide an xbox live-like service that will have api's for developers... kind of like how steam has Steam Workshop, but much, much more. I think the kicker would be if there was full online pc gaming support with xbox players via a simple api. MS has their Azure platform that is ripe for automated launching of game servers in the cloud. You can do all of this now, but it's not easy.

Microsoft has the ability to do serious harm to steam if they put effort into something like this, I just think PC gaming was never on their radar enough to justify the effort. But if they integrate the effort with xbox, then there's a big enough market.

I'm ok with MS doing this, but I think they would be horrible caretakers of PC gaming if they ever did become the dominant platform. I like what valve is doing now, but steam is shockingly buggy considering how old it is. Everything about it feels dated and I'm surprised that valve has not come out with a suite of their own apis for game devs. They have a few services, but nothing terribly impressive. As much as I like the idea of steamos, I think it's doomed to fail. The time and money would have been better spent on cloud services for games and devs.

1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 25, 2016, 01:26 BIGtrouble77

These are not games Blue.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus
4. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus Jul 22, 2016, 00:25 BIGtrouble77

This is the first civ I'm going to pass on. The formula is so tired and each release keeps playing like a god game. Since getting into Paradox's strategy games, I've realized that there are way more satisfying empire management sims out there.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 19, 2016, 02:39 BIGtrouble77

Neo Scavenger is great.  

560 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo