Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 788 (Graduate)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2018, 11:18 BIGtrouble77

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 10:42:
Gee, AMD, you sure seem mad that nVidia is profitable and you are not. Gsync costs money to develop and to manufacture. Should they just give the hardware away for free or at a loss? You of course NEED to take a loss on lots of shit because nobody will buy your products otherwise. nVidia has the superior product and they know it, so of course they're going to capitalize on that. That's why it's called business. That's why it's called capitalism. AMD, shut the fuck up until you can start being competitive. It just makes you look like a bunch of whiny bitches. >_<

I miss ATI.

Couple facts... AMD's profits are up. AMD offers Freesync as an open standard for free. Nvidia is using partner programs in bad faith to coerce hardware manufacturers to not produce AMD-based products.

NVidia is trying to take a shortcut here to undermine competition. If their product is that much superior then they should not have to resort to these shenanigans.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
7. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 11:37 BIGtrouble77

I was looking at AMD CPU a few months ago and I could not find one without a wraith cooler included. I had a build planned with a water cooler and didn't want to pay the garbage OEM cooler tax. I figured that the majority of users buying individual CPUs would rather use the cooler of their choice, but I guess I've been proven wrong.  

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
22. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 15:00 BIGtrouble77

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:35:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:24:
I can't stand it when people assume I'm playing Battlefield 1 at 2pm.

LOLZ ... ironically BF1 is not even on Steam but on Origin and the Origin client has had an invisible mode since launch (or shortly thereafter).

I know, you probably added it as a non-Steam game or just gave it as an example w/o considering that BF1 is not even on Steam. However, ESPECIALLY with regard to BF1, it would be easy as pie to play it "anonymously" because it's on Origin that's had a freakin' invisible mode for years already.

Good point, BF1 was a bad example. I was trying to remember one of the games he plays and forgot that one was not Steam. He would be playing PUBG, Assassin's Creed games (uplay through steam), Ultimate General Civil War, etc.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
5. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 12:35 BIGtrouble77

Did the kickstarter come before or after Paradox had publish rights?  

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
6. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 12:24 BIGtrouble77

I just want to be able to not display as online without going into offline mode (which is a huge inconvenience). Between the groups I'm in and having to appear to work that I'm not gaming during the day (I'm not), I have to go through so many hoops. Since my son and I share our gaming computer, I can't stand it when people assume I'm playing Battlefield 1 at 2pm.  

News Comments > Razer Game Store Launches
1. Re: Razer Game Store Launches Apr 6, 2018, 11:00 BIGtrouble77

I'm all for more competition in the business of selling Steam keys.  

News Comments > Star Control Origins Trailer
4. Re: Star Control Origins Trailer Apr 5, 2018, 13:36 BIGtrouble77

The combat looks too fast and frantic for me, I don't remember the original being like that. Regardless, keeping an eye on it.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2018, 18:54 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:08:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:43:
"Latest macOS Update Disables DisplayLink, Rendering Thousands of Monitors Dead."

So Apple just destroyed thousands of dollars of monitors? Surprised this isn't on the 6 o'clock news. Or maybe this is just another shit title.

Even better, I quote

monitors will no longer work when they are connected through a third party peripheral

Aka, converters

So the title is really inaccurate

And they are also talking about apps that connect to external monitors wirelessly which may not be officially supported by Apple. It's good to know this stuff will break, but the FUD is crazy as usual.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2018, 18:47 BIGtrouble77

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 13:44:
Nullity wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:50:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:43:
"Latest macOS Update Disables DisplayLink, Rendering Thousands of Monitors Dead."

So Apple just destroyed thousands of dollars of monitors? Surprised this isn't on the 6 o'clock news. Or maybe this is just another shit title.
Click-bait article. The monitors are fine, it's just a driver issue. Still stupid though.

I don't know how you could be confused by the title. It never crossed my mind that "dead" meant "destroyed"... But then, I'm not technically inept.
Good job completely missing my point. If someone says a driver update killed my video card, the insinuation is that it's not recoverable. My comment was suggesting the title was linkbait which has nothing to do with technical prowess.

News Comments > Valve Addresses Steam Machines
14. Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 18:39 BIGtrouble77

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:12:
afka Rossini wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:33:
Make Half-Life 3 a SteamOS exclusive. Problem solved.
A better idea would be to make Half-Life 3 free on SteamOS / with Steam Machines and available at a cost for Windows users. That way those that are motivated by cost can have it for free and experience SteamOS whilst those not interested can simply buy it. Another option would be to release an updated Steam Controller and bundle Half-Life 3 with it, which would get the controller into millions of people's hands.

Half-Life 3 could be used by Valve to get SteamOS into most homes just like Half-Life did with Steam itself but Valve is so utterly inept at following through with game development that it probably won't ever happen. All it does these days is copy Blizzard, with games like Dota 2 and Artifact.
Great idea.

6. Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:01 BIGtrouble77

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:36:
If Valve was truly serious, they would work with publishers directly and cover part of the cost of publishing a title so it wasn't seen as a risk by those publishers. They certainly have the money to do so.

Edit to add: As well as work with devs to use engines that have native Linux build queues. It's not wise to co-finance a project using the Dunia engine, for example.
But isn't this exactly what they are doing? EA isn't going to hand over their Frostbite engine code and ask valve to optimize it for them. EA/Ubisoft/etc are going to want a way to port their tech over, but they will need low level optimizations so their games don't run like shit. The effort for them to do that is cost prohibitive. Valve is trying to fix that problem. Linux may not be a huge cash cow, but Macs could be. The good news is that any efforts to support mac natively will most likely trickle down to Linux.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2018, 11:43 BIGtrouble77

2. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 4, 2018, 11:20 BIGtrouble77

Kajetan wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:11:
Tech alone does not sell. You keep on supporting Vulkan, which is nice, but it WILL NOT BOOST Linux as gaming platform or the usage of SteamOS.

Valve has to invest in MARKETING Linux or SteamOS as a gaming platform. When nobody knows what you have, why should it become more popular?
I could not disagree more. They tried to sell the hell out of Steam Machines initially and it got them no where. They first need to make the technology viable so Linux gaming is not gimped from the start. Then the community will solve the rest of the problems for them. Right now, there are some things that only Valve can do well here, and that's what they are focusing on. Good strategy, IMO.

News Comments > R.I.P. Steam Machines?
2. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 10:09 BIGtrouble77

Without Microsoft doing anything terribly egregious to Windows or gaming on windows, Steam Machines were destined to have a "chicken before the egg" problem... that is, Valve needed gamers to switch to Linux to get publishers to make their games compatible with that platform. I still think gaming on Linux is a better future than the status quo, but gamers didn't show Linux support with their wallets, and neither did I for that matter.  

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
4. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 11:01 BIGtrouble77

I liked Primal, but I had not played a Far Cry since the first one. I could see how the mechanics and systems could get really boring if all the games played the same.

FC5 looks fun, and a bunch of my coworkers will be playing co-op, so I'll probably pick it up.

News Comments > Star Control Wars
9. Re: Star Control Wars Mar 23, 2018, 10:07 BIGtrouble77

Anyone that's saying Stardock is "shady" needs to read the press releases from each side and then reevaluate that assertion. I've seen nothing but professionalism from Stardock and the exact opposite from Paul and Fred.

I don't care about this game, Stardock or Brad Wardell, but it's become very clear that Stardock is going to win big here. Everything that Paul and Fred say is an appeal to emotion while everything Stardock releases *seems to be based on legal fact. The sad part is, this IP is most likely not worth this aggravation for Stardock but they are too far into this mess to turn back.

News Comments > NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger
10. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:42 BIGtrouble77

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:35:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:32:
VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:22:
chickenboo wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:18:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:14:
I remember back when I was outraged that 3dfx pulled this shit on Nvidia. Apparently we've come full circle. Nvidia, I hope you get cucked equally as hard.

Got a link? I don't remember this.

Thats because he is full of shit.
I'll try to find something, but dude, go fuck yourself. I worked at Babbages and was forced to put "Only runs on 3dFx" stickers on all of the 3d games even if they supported OpenGl. It was a paid campaign to undermine the Riva TNT and sell 3dfx cards.
And poor old nvidia never recovered. oh wait
So companies stating patently false facts in their marketing and creating campaigns to undermine competition is ok? I can never figure out if Blues is just made up of trolls or a bunch of idiots.

6. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:32 BIGtrouble77

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:22:
chickenboo wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:18:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:14:
I remember back when I was outraged that 3dfx pulled this shit on Nvidia. Apparently we've come full circle. Nvidia, I hope you get cucked equally as hard.

Got a link? I don't remember this.

Thats because he is full of shit.
I'll try to find something, but dude, go fuck yourself. I worked at Babbages and was forced to put "Only runs on 3dFx" stickers on all of the 3d games even if they supported OpenGl. It was a paid campaign to undermine the TNT2 and sell 3dfx cards.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2018, 11:17 BIGtrouble77

I could tell PUBG mobile was all bots almost immediately, the bot AI is pretty terrible.  

2. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 11:14 BIGtrouble77

788 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo