Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 673 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 18, 2017, 21:07 BIGtrouble77

panbient wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 20:15:
And still no actual implementation of the options to stop checking and automatically downloading updates for legacy users... Thanks AMD!

Lol, I have an rx480 and I can't even use the auto downloader, it just hangs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on the Star Citizen Roadmap
15. Re: More on the Star Citizen Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 16:50 BIGtrouble77

As much as people shit on the way Frontier released Elite, incremental, highly focused releases are the way to do software development successfully. This "Everything and the kitchen sink" approach to Star Citizen's first commercial release is pie in the sky amateur hour stuff.

That all said, I didn't read the production schedule, but it looks like they put a lot of effort into it. I hope SC is a success, but right now the primary entertainment it's providing is the the form of reading these Blue's threads.

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Launches
9. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Launches Apr 6, 2017, 14:58 BIGtrouble77

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 13:00:
The mid to end game was always pretty boring repetitive and just a dubious task to manage.
I think you can say this about every 4x game in existence. It's definitely the case for Galactic Civilizations III, Distant Worlds, Crusader Kings II, EU IV, Aurora 4x, etc.

Distant Worlds has the best late game, imo, because you have so much control over how you want the empire to run, but if you are a disorganized mess, the game will punish you severely.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2017, 18:53 BIGtrouble77

Glad to see GTA V is still rockin' at the top. Best game of 2013.  

News Comments > Thimbleweed Park Released
2. Re: Thimbleweed Park Released Mar 31, 2017, 01:03 BIGtrouble77

I'm about 4 hours into it... it's really good. I'm not sure how I feel about the journal that keeps track of the things you need to do... I kind of like the hardcore "figure this shit out yourself asshole" approach of the classic games... so far it's been a bit easy to progress. I just hope some of the puzzles eventually are brutally hard.

Day of the Tentacle was a great game back in the day, but I would have much rather seen them use this graphical design aesthetic. I can only imagine what Monkey Island 3 would have looked like if Ron did it.

News Comments > Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists
11. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 14:19 BIGtrouble77

MajorD wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 10:46:
WTF is Snuggle Truck?!?!

It's actually a mobile game where you drive a truck and try to keep stuffed animals in it as you go over obstacles. Funny thing, the first version of this game was called Smuggle Truck and you had to try and smuggle mexicans over the border- much more interesting IMO.

http://smuggletruck.com

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free; Mirage: Arcane Warfare Closed Beta
13. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free; Mirage: Arcane Warfare Closed Beta Mar 27, 2017, 18:21 BIGtrouble77

I really wish Torn Banner just went and released a proper follow up to Chivalry. I have yet to play a game with better sword fighting than what they have. I find I keep craving the Chivalry mechanics whenever I play a game that uses the awful WoW fight mechanics- like Shroud of the Avatar.

Edit: what Jagacademy said

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2017, 16:25 BIGtrouble77

I don't think anyone can look at what the "at home" printing industry has done and say "yeah, this is the right way to do things." The market did not correct itself to address the high costs and customers were left confused at what their options actually were... It doesn't make sense that you can order much higher quality prints from professional online services at a fraction of the cost of printing at home.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 12:50 BIGtrouble77

This is total horse shit. I've been a software consultant working from home for 3 years now and I'm more productive than I've ever been. I'm not preoccupied with getting home on time to see my family, I don't have a commute to deal with and I'm overall happier and less stressed. This translates in me getting more immersed in my work and actually enjoying it.

You can have a culture clash with remote workers, people can be lazy, remote workers can often get ignored, but none of that means remote workers are bad or even the source of your problem. It just means your company sucks and you should probably take a close look at more fundamental issues going on.

The age of Slack and Screenhero has made remote working more intimate than being in a loud office with prying eyes.

And yeah, how's that turn-around going Yahoo?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2017, 22:37 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 19:22:
Ima go out on a limb and say the mouse wheel dying after 2 years is a feature not a bug. That way you buy a new one.

I paid $130 for that mouse. Worst feature ever. I still have my first MS laser mouse, I'd still be using that thing if it had a few more buttons and higher resolution.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
18. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 13:11 BIGtrouble77

This seems to be purely an attempt to get those hold-outs to upgrade to W10. At some point the resistance to W10 is going to be futile.

I'm just amazed that very few gamers have embraced Linux. If we demand that game companies support Linux, then they ultimately will have to. Unfortunately we don't, so support will remain marginal and we'll have to continue to deal with MS and it's shenanigans.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2017, 12:56 BIGtrouble77

I recently threw out my Razer (Epic Naga Chroma) mouse... overall I liked it, but all Razer mice have a glaring flaw... the scroll wheel has a very short life span. Mine lasted 2 years before it was unfixable. I literally took apart the little cartridge that houses the wheel half a dozen times to "fix" the copper contact issue- the issue results in very erratic scrolling and loss of tension. It's a design flaw that I'm amazed Razer has not addressed.

I have a Corsair mouse now, it was much cheaper and has similar features, but man their software is bad. Time will tell if that mouse holds up.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 16:27 BIGtrouble77

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 12:28:
Timmeh wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 12:17:
Said the crack smoking apple employee

Lol, Google engineering employee actually. On my team, our workstations all run Goobuntu (Google's custom version of Ubuntu), and our laptops are all... 15" MacBook Pros, with a few opting for 13" MacBook Airs.
You can just take you high salary, lofty titles, liberal opinions and shove it. Blues is just for us crotchety 40-somethings that build our own PCs and can't imagine why anyone would want a computer that is Unix compliant and optimal for software development, but can't play the latest Doom at 60fps Ultra Settings.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined
6. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 00:36 BIGtrouble77

MacLeod wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:56:
Literally saying "hey, survival games are shit but sell. We can do that!". FFS.

That's kind of a funny read on it, but I think the reality is that it's an incredibly hot genre with mostly shit titles. If they can deliver a pretty good game, chances are that it will be very profitable. Sounds like a good strategy.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 16:15 BIGtrouble77

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:17:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 14:50:
I love Apple hardware, but I think iPads are just awful for the classroom. When the kids get to middle school, give everyone a raspberry pie and let them learn how a computer actually works.

I was building computers from 5th grade on back in the late 80s/90s. Kids need to be doing that more, not playing tablet/phone games so much.

Not a bad idea. I can totally see giving younger kids that type of tech and then in HS, start giving them every day tools and every day exp type of classes. Along with improved steering and training in fields they excel at.

I'm a software engineer, and thinking of getting into full stack because I grew up in the early days and was building my own PCs from single-digit age. In fact, I've only ever owned PCs I built myself. I don't know any kids capable of that these days, and I kind of worry about their capability to do any real technical work in the future. Considering the direction that the economy is going, it can't be a bad idea to get kids started off "correctly" instead of with these tools that already do everything for them with no explanation as to how they work. Kids need to learn how to learn.

I'm a software engineer as well. I'm contracting for a startup at the moment that is using raspberry pie zeros for all of their hardware prototypes. What you can do with these little machines is just incredible. As a learning platform, they are in a league of their own.

My son has no innate desire to understand how a computer works because he never had the obstacles I had as a kid. I finally made huge inroads when I built my retro pie system and he discovered Metal Slug. Now he loves to hang out when I'm tinkering around with that stuff.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 14:50 BIGtrouble77

I love Apple hardware, but I think iPads are just awful for the classroom. When the kids get to middle school, give everyone a raspberry pie and let them learn how a computer actually works.

I was building computers from 5th grade on back in the late 80s/90s. Kids need to be doing that more, not playing tablet/phone games so much.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 3, 2017, 14:44 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 12:32:
When is is ever a good idea to buy refurbished anything?
As other have said refurbished Apple products are generally a good value. I also buy Dyson vacuums every 8 years or so for half the price.

That said, I probably would not buy a korean/chinese android phone refurbished. I would expect better from Google, though.

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
48. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 18:29 BIGtrouble77

El Pit wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 13:33:
Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 13:27:
El Pit wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 13:15:
Dacote wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 13:06:
Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:59:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:52:
Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:09:
general statement not based on fact
Stupid.
your stupid
It has begun!

I wonde rif Bigtrouble77 will counter this by "Not my stupid!"

No, because after stupid, Ill counter with hes a moronic idiot because he cant do his homework.

I rest my case.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have to work all day and could just troll Blue's forums instead.

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
26. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 12:52 BIGtrouble77

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:09:
And that's why myself and most other gamers stick with what works. Intel!!
Stupid.

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 122M
16. Re: Minecraft Sells 122M Feb 28, 2017, 16:13 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:10:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 12:45:
BobBob wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 11:57:
Good for them, but I hope this whole pixel art trend, by other game developers, will fade soon enough.

I wouldn't consider Minecraft pixel art. I love pixel art... what I can't stand is vector graphics that look like flash games from 10 years ago. The only game that gets a pass is Rimworld.

Isn't Rimworld sprite-based, so technically pixel art, not vector graphics?

I'm not sure to be honest, but the art was created with splines, not dropping individual pixels.

673 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo