Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 561 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 17:06 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:29:
edit: I do see your other post, you specifically need to develop on a linux laptop?

Yeah, Logic Pro and Unity are very important so my only choices are Windows or Mac. I do web development in Node, Ruby and Python. My dev env uses Docker, so that's all in a Linux container- windows can do all of this, but there are lots of compromises that I have to make. I've done dual booting for years and have no desire to keep doing that if it's avoidable.

The other thing is my Apple hardware lasts forever and keeps its value really well. I understand it costs a lot up front, but I've gotten a huge amount back when I've sold my previous macbooks, iphones and ipads. I've only been able to get pennies for my PC hardware. I even gave away one of my gtx780s to a Blues reader since I couldn't get any decent $ for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:14 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:46:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting all of my luck by having a PC that doesn't shit itself every time it gets updated or turned off. Sometimes... I just want to win a game of poker.

I don't really understand people that come on bragging about all of the problems they have with Windows, as if your level of technical inadequacy is supposed to impress people. Do they really think that it's all just a big lie and every windows computer out there is just crashing all the time?

Have no fear, PEBCAK supports all operating systems and hardware equally.

I was a Windows network admin for 5 years (2001-2006). I custom built several hundred PCs over that period. I dealt with every imaginable issue with XP At the time. When I slid into development I moved to linux because it was just better for what I was doing. I'm hardly inadequate. It's very simple for me... if I agree that I am inadequate, how much time is it going to take for me to learn the things I need to know to avoid the problems I've been having? The reality is, it's potentially a huge time sink to address the types of issues I've been having. Since using a mac for work, I've needed almost zero investment of time in just keeping the machines ups and running reliably. I still have a 2009 iMac running as a plex server and it continues getting the latest OS updates.

I'm happy some of you guys have not had issues, I really do wish I've had that kind of luck. The reality is, it's probably not luck, it's more being good at avoiding the kinds of things that can surface problems.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 16:06 BIGtrouble77

Nullity wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:16:
Good news! There's this other, completely FREE, operating system environment called Linux that lets you do just what you want, without selling a kidney for the Apple tax, put up with their stupid anti-convenience design decisions, or having to endure their awful UI!

So yeah, sarcasm aside, your post seem like you were willfully ignoring every other flavor of *nix keep your spot on the Apple fanboi bandwagon.

I'm also a developer/programmer. Linux is great for this, but if I had to use a Mac, I'd feel like Peter Gibbons in Office Space, pre-hypnosis.
I ran Desktop Linux for 5 years as my primary machine. It is great in a desktop environment, but terrible on a laptop. Things like Sleep/Hibernate were not reliable. Updates broke my env too often. I LOVE linux, I probably have about 10 linux installations going around my house, but I can't use it on my laptops.

I also do music recording in Logic Pro on my laptop. It's so much better than what Linux has to offer (Ardour) and works with zero latency problems. I would love to go back to Linux 100%, but I just can't at the moment.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 13:53 BIGtrouble77

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 12:55:
At what point are people going to realize they are being ripped off by Apple's design choices instead of it enhancing the usability of their devices in any meaningful ways. The phone and the laptop already got small enough. Sacrificing convenient usability for this aesthetic they are pushing is really just a money grab, plain and simple.

Donglegate. lol

I can give you my reasoning... I'm a developer that has work in a *NIX env my whole career. To use Windows 10 for what I do would just kill me, it's a horrid environment for work. I have nothing but issues on my gaming PC, and it all comes down to Windows being shitty and hardware vendors providing shitty drivers and software.

My MacBook pro can go months without a single restart, where it goes to sleep around a dozen times a day- the only restarts I do initiate are for security updates. I have trouble getting my windows machines to wake from sleep/hibernation. When it does work, my wifi usually has to be killed and restarted or else I'll get a "limited" connection. Oh, and getting a wifi adapter 6 months ago on windows 10 was a disaster, NOTHING supported 5Ghz reliably.

I just had a storage issue on my gaming machine where the hibernation file expanded to 200gb and kept filling up my drive. Windows is shit and I can't depend on it for work. As a contractor, I gladly pay a premium for apple hardware because I almost never have issues and I can work in a *nix environment.

On top of that, since steam came to the mac there has been a torrent of new games supported on the platform. Gaming in mac/linux isn't so bad anymore if you don't need the latest AAA titles.

All that said, this is the first time I'm pissed about some of the changes apple is making. Removing the ESC key fucks with my VIM setup. Removing the audio jack creates charging uses for my phone (if I bought the iphone7). Apple is trying to converge the iPad and mac, and this is the painful transition period. I have no idea what their end game is, but I'm starting not to like it. I'm 2 years away from buying a new laptop so I'll decided what to do next then.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 22:24 BIGtrouble77

I have no desire to upgrade my 2014 mbPro any time soon, but damn Apple screwed us VI users by getting rid of the ESC key. I'm going to have to do some key remapping to fix this cluster fuck if I ever get one of these.  

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Preloads
4. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Preloads Oct 25, 2016, 22:41 BIGtrouble77

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 22:29:
nin wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 21:19:
Looks wonderful, from what I've seen. Hope performance doesn't suffer...

Considering we've had like four generations of new video cards come out since 11/11/11, I'm not sure it'll make much difference even if it does.
I'm still using the same card as when I bought Skyrim

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Oct 24, 2016, 19:29 BIGtrouble77

I hope this patch addresses the mp issue where I'm apparently shooting with rubber bullets and everyone else is shooting with brain-seeking lethal bullets.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 23, 2016, 01:34 BIGtrouble77

Thank god Google didn't pack too much innovation into this phone.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2016, 17:13 BIGtrouble77

Overon wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 14:40:
Yeah I saw a TED talk by Sam Harris that was scary.
I was just going to mention this. Whenever Sam Harris talks, I listen.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly
2. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Oct 21, 2016, 19:29 BIGtrouble77

Not sure I want to use up 50gb of my monthly DL quota to get this update. Keeping SC up to date has been the single biggest hit to my DL quota I have.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
18. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released Oct 21, 2016, 17:28 BIGtrouble77

Tumbler wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 16:50:
I've come close to buying this several times and the price keeps holding me back. I think u can get it on Amazon for 20% off as a prime member but I still can't pull the trigger.

I went and watched a twitch stream of it and it didn't make difference. I can't help feeling like this is another rebooted sim city. The graphical style they went with leaves me wondering when the iPad release us going to be.

It does not feel anything like Sim City to me, but it does seem to cling to Civ-style gameplay to a fault, imo. The original Civ had things like leaders that are more gods than people due to limitations of computers at the time- managing dynastic rule was not in the cards for early 1990's strategy games.

Same thing with the turn based approached... I think "real-time pause-able" is superior in every way- the flow of the game just feels artificial with turn based mechanics. I only prefer turn based mechanics for deep historical simulations, like the AGEOD games, or GG: War in the (east|west) series.

That said, I think this could be fun, but it's priced at such a premium that I'm not sure I'll ever pick it up. It would need to hit the $39.99 price point before the dlc come for me to even consider. With games like Endless Legend going for $7 on sale, I'd probably go that route before blowing $70 on a game I might only put 20 hours into before I'm bored to death.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Released
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 16:46 BIGtrouble77

Task wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 15:55:
xLith wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:57:
Task wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:08:
So those that have this on Blues, please confirm if they actually worked on joystick compatibility. It was deactivated in beta. They claimed to be "working on it" before release on Twitter.

I don't have one to try but last thing I read was they were still working on it. I haven't seen a patch yet either for anything and I've been playing since Monday. I'm guessing the answer is no.

I'll check later then on updates. No buy from me though if I can't use my joystick

I was watching an LP on youtube last night and the guy said he was using a controller and playing the PC version. I guess it could have been a Steam controller, but I figured he would have mentioned that.

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 16:38 BIGtrouble77

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 14:41:
@Task & @BIGtrouble77

I know what you two mean about not being so good with FPS anylonger. I'm fifty one now and besides getting a bit long in the tooth the arthritis screws with my fingers a bit. So it takes me a while to warm up sometimes... if I warm up at all. I still like to run and gun but not always so well these days.

My 40th birthday is coming in a couple months so maybe I'm crossing that threshold into old gamer now. I was a beast during the HL: Counterstrike mod days, but I have hardly played any FPS games since then so that's more likely my issue.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
15. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released Oct 21, 2016, 14:54 BIGtrouble77

Quboid wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:39:

I'm not keen on the fog-of-war graphics, the contrast between visible and out-of-sight is too much. It's a minor issue and I'll probably get used to it - if not I'll get over it.

I think this is intended. I love the idea that the unknown area is just a map that is probably accurate, but will also reveal secrets when its revealed. I've never seen anyone integrate a paper-style map fog of war as well as Firaxis has. I also think the new art has the feel of the original Civ than any other release.

That said, this is still a weird 4x/God Game hybrid. I wish there was better political systems and somekind of leadership turnover, dynastic rule, etc. (a la EUIV).

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 13:47 BIGtrouble77

Task wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:16:
If you're raging, I'd suggest playing the class with TNT and Mines and defend area, preferably with buildings. Lay down mines on most traveled areas that vehicles use. You can do the same with assault and lay down trip mines strategically in the doorways of building s you are defending. That's how I play since I'm not good at 'twitch' FPS anymore.
Thanks for the tip. I just don't play enough FPS' anymore to be any good at the 'twitch' aspect of it, so I think a new strategy is in order.

16. Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 13:10 BIGtrouble77

I played about 2 hours of SP and about 30 minutes of MP. I'm amazed at how good it looks on my shitty hardware. I have a gtx780 running at 1440p and it was very detailed and smooth, pretty much like how Battlefront 2 runs.

The SP gameplay, on the other had, is garbage. There wasn't a single moment where I didn't feel like I was on rails, more or less. You are just guided through scripted shit... if you don't figure it out the first time, you probably will the second.

The other weird thing is that when you die, they show the name of the person that was just killed. I thought that was a great idea until the cutscenes reverted back to the character that died at the start of the scenario. Arma 3, this is not.

MP is better, but I rage quitted after 30 min cause I suck.

News Comments > Mad Max for OS X and Linux
8. Re: Mad Max for OS X and Linux Oct 20, 2016, 22:05 BIGtrouble77

Steazy wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 18:29:
Wait... is this a Unity game?

In my experience doing cross platform development is a huge pain in the ass in Unity, even when you only use built in components. Maybe it's a bigger issue on mobile. Especially input management is a nightmare, especially supporting gamepads on PC+Linux+Mac. It's doable, but it's a tedious pain in the ass.

I find Unreal to be a much better tool for targeting multiple platforms.

I did not mean to suggest Max Max uses Unity, I can see where that wasn't clear.

My point was more around the fact that if a game is made in Unity, chances are it supports Mac and Linux.

News Comments > Mad Max for OS X and Linux
4. Re: Mad Max for OS X and Linux Oct 20, 2016, 14:01 BIGtrouble77

I went through my Steam library the other day and was amazed to see so many games that were previously Windows only now support mac/linux too.

I know people shit on Unity, but it really has done a lot to level the OS playing field. It's also nice to see an AAA game like Mad Max get support.

News Comments > Stellaris DLC and Patch
4. Re: Stellaris DLC and Patch Oct 20, 2016, 13:58 BIGtrouble77

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 11:12:
As an FYI, any games you have saved under the older 1.2 version are not compatible with the latest patch.
This is really uncharacteristic of Paradox, I don't think I've ever gotten an update in ck2, eu4 or victoria2 that was incompatible with previous saves. That said, I'm not loving my current game so I'm good to start over.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
14. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 20:58 BIGtrouble77

christheshitter wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 19:23:
Just tried Galactic Civilizations, the first one from the same developer. I say yuck! What is this crap of a space strategy game!

I've played much batter strategy games!
GalCiv III is hardly crap, albeit it's not my favorite 4x space game. GalCiv II was the best of the genre until Distant Worlds came out imo, and then a host of other 4X space games saturated the space.

Frogboy has been bragging about this IP for a while now. Interesting to see some progress on SC, but it hardly looks impressive. I think Endess Space 2 is going to get my money next.

561 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo