Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 502 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
8. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 10, 2015, 18:56 BIGtrouble77

Devinoch wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 14:16:
There are several in-game items that have extremely high value on the basis of scarcity. I have a Dota2 item (single item) that's worth several hundred dollars. I actually bought the full set (Ursa's Alpine set, if that helps any) for $7 when Valve put it on sale, but they took it down a week later and have never rereleased it, so the value skyrocketed.

Hmm, I just peaked in my account and immediately found a $17 card. Maybe I should actually go through them...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
3. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 10, 2015, 13:41 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 13:22:
Valve reported 77,000 hijacked Steam accounts per month recently... Not using 2-factor authentication for Steam by this point makes zero sense.
These security measures are worth the minor inconveniences they create when so many of us have libraries worth thousands of dollars.

Can anyone explain what you can actually trade that's of any value? I don't get the whole earning badges thing.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week
27. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 17:59 BIGtrouble77

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 17:02:
There are mechanics in place to follow ships leaving the instance. It's a balance, though. Do you want an extra beam laser? Or sacrifice that for a FSD wakefield tracker module?

I got so mad a few weeks ago. I was flying my anaconda and about to dock. I was lining up for approach and hit my "flight assist off" button. However! I forgot to turn on that stupid saitek control plugin before launching the game. So, instead, that button happens to revert to middle mouse click, which ended up launching a missile at the station.

Boom. Vaporized. That was my first death since cobra times way back when. Luckily, they changed the insurance policy. I was short the $12 million buyback option by several million. Still got the ship back, but you now get grafted automatically with each mission.

So, I sold my $55 million dollar thrusters (that I just goddamn bought!) and downgraded to get out of debt and have extra insurance money.

Haven't really felt like playing much after that. The anaconda is so slow and people really like fucking with you. Even if they die, they do massive $$$ to your wallet with fractional damage.

I'm hoping horizons will encourage more small ships that don't break the bank.

I've had a very similar experience. I'm not having fun with my fully loaded python at all because I'm a bigger target now and fear of getting killed is just not making the game fun. And I don't mean getting killed for legitimate reasons, rather by (rare but still concerning) glitches in the station or by player wings that ambush me. I never stressed too much if my asp got taken out and fortunately it never did. The day I got my clipper it got destroyed due to a bug in the station.

15. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 15:29 BIGtrouble77

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 15:10:
So i've been waiting for this game to get some more depth to the content.

Like X3: Albion prelude level of content.

I'm still to understand that the majority of the game is just attack and kill?
I'm noticing there's a trend where gamers more used to "modern" mission systems don't really like Elite. From this perspective, there's very little in the game and it just feels empty.

Then there's the group (that I fall into), that's more into the immersion and roleplay aspect. I just have an ongoing mental storyline that my character is the center of. I kind of just take the stuff FD publishes and fill in the blanks with my own stories.

That type of game isn't for everyone, but I personally love how so much is left to interpretation. I find Witcher, Skyrim, Fallout, etc all incredibly boring myself, I want to create my own narrative. But I can put in hundreds of hours into Distant Worlds and Kenshi, neither of those games offer any missions or direction.

14. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 15:19 BIGtrouble77

Bundy wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 14:09:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 13:22:
They finally learned from their mistakes and released a trailer with actual gameplay footage. Looks fantastic.I haven't played since the long range missions were insanely profitable, getting me over $100 million in 3 days. Now seems as good a time as ever to jump back in.

I missed that window. And because I missed it the grind feels extra grindy. Can't play for more than 1 or 2 missions a week. The universe needs more stuff to do.

When I first heard about the missions I could not believe how much I made. Knowing it was going to be nerfed I just grinded harder than I ever did for 3 days (which is basically 6 hours/day). I knew whatever I put in I would make me what I would normally get over a few months.

When it was all over I have enough money to get a fully upgraded Python. Unfortunately, I don't like the ship, it's jump range just sucks and I'm just too afraid of getting killed since the insurance claim is so high now. I've been flying my ASP and Clipper for ages now so I'll probably go back to one of them.

Regardless, I think getting an asp and doing some exploration with this update is the perfect route for me.

6. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 13:22 BIGtrouble77

They finally learned from their mistakes and released a trailer with actual gameplay footage. Looks fantastic.I haven't played since the long range missions were insanely profitable, getting me over $100 million in 3 days. Now seems as good a time as ever to jump back in.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2015, 17:46 BIGtrouble77

I'm very competent in Linux, but two issues are holding me back... the first is that I mainly play strategy games- about 85% of what I play only runs on windows which is insanely frustrating. The second is that I only plan to buy AMD gpus in the foreseeable future.

That said, if the AMD drivers improve and the Strategy game "Windows Only" trend ends, I'll kill windows the first chance I get. Windows 10 has been a disaster for me, I'm very upset I did that upgrade. The advertised "improved gaming experience" was anything but.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III DLC & Patch Wednesday
1. Re: Galactic Civilizations III DLC & Patch Wednesday Dec 7, 2015, 19:43 BIGtrouble77

Distant Worlds just killed this game for me despite GalCivII being one of my all time favorites (prior to DW). Same thing with Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV, Civilization is now dead to me. Realtime pausable is just superior.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
31. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 6, 2015, 14:40 BIGtrouble77

I'm assuming the specs reflect the higher resolution consumer units that will be coming out. Anyone who is using the rift dev kit is running at 1/2 resolution, hence why it will run on lower specs. I feel like these VR units are just waiting for hardware to catch up. In 2 years anyone will be able to use a a VR kit with a $150 card.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 00:23 BIGtrouble77

I've been having quite a bit of stability issues since updating to windows 10, I really wish I hadn't at this point. It was advertised to get better gaming performance so I decided to give it a shot. If anything, I'm getting worse performance now. Upgrading my OEM key was a disaster. And now my system is unstable when it sits idle, it just reboots- i think sleep has issues.

Part of the problem is that the system is constantly doing updates in the background so I don't know what the fuck is changing. I had my win7 setup to download updates, but not install. That worked pretty well for me for about 2 years, then I update and I'm hit with all of these issues.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
5. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 23, 2015, 17:10 BIGtrouble77

Skyrim didn't feel consolized at all to me, but fallout 4 really looks like a console port from the reviews I've read. I may pick it up someday, but it just doesn't look very fun coming from someone that prefers deep strategy mechanics over an FPS click fest.

Battlefront looks like an abomination so I don't know what compels people to buy that. Football Manager is an impressive sports sim, possibly the best ever (OOTP comes close). Nice to see SI continuing to do well even though I don't know shit about soccer.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Released
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Released Nov 19, 2015, 10:56 BIGtrouble77

Now I need to wait for Unity to go on sale for $15 during the steam holiday sale just like I did for Black Flag. From what I've seen, Syndicate isn't going to hold my interest. I'm more interested i the historical settings than the actual storyline and Industrial Revolution England isn't as interesting as Pirates or French Revolution.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 12, 2015, 18:51 BIGtrouble77

Opinion of a "Game Reviewer" with very specific "Game Reviewer" needs. This article is a joke, as is most polygon/verge content.

I am a huge Apple fan and I take my fair share of abuse here for that, but I detest these types of articles. This belongs on a message board, not on a "respected" gaming news site. Pure click bait.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: The Cossacks Next Month
3. Re: Europa Universalis IV: The Cossacks Next Month Nov 11, 2015, 16:06 BIGtrouble77

The iterative development process of EU IV and CK2 has turned out 2 unbelievable games that are going to be ridiculously hard to follow up with a sequel.

I have no interest in seeing these games get a sequel in the next 5 years. I have all of the DLC for both and have enough new content to last me at least 5 years to come.

This is the way to do DLC, I just wish they packaged the art and music updates with the base DLC, I'd rather they just raise the base price of the dlc a bit if they feel it's worth it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 8, 2015, 20:37 BIGtrouble77

I would have killed small fuzzy animals to have this back when I used Linux as my daily driver. Everyone wins when there's progress on this front.  

News Comments > Space Engineers Sales Soar
5. Re: Space Engineers Sales Soar Oct 29, 2015, 12:13 BIGtrouble77

I had to stop playing this game almost as soon as I started... for some reason the camera makes me extremely nauseous. It seemed like it had potential, but I couldn't play more than 15 minutes at a time.  

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
20. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 15:42 BIGtrouble77

I'm amazed at how bad the Steam app performs after all of these years. The app still has huge issues refreshing data in the views, responsiveness is terrible, authentication breaks all the time, etc.

The steam app is just a glorified web app that can manage installations and a streaming server. I think a web app is the right way to go, but it's just implemented poorly. They should be using a reactive interface that handles state change better. It also looks like the app's caching isn't great because it takes too goddam long for content to refresh.

Anyway, I still use the hell out of Steam. I follow many forums and engage quite a bit, but it's a terrible web app. Even the new iOS release is just horrible. Valve has this internal structure where the employees to whatever the hell they want... I can't believe no one with any ability has taking up the charge to modernize this POS app.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
30. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 25, 2015, 04:43 BIGtrouble77

Hopefully after Horizons is released Frontier gets their shit together and renders themselves some sick cinematic cut-scenes with 1980's voice actors. Nothing will get my juices flowing like Captain Kirk Cameron battling Lavian Brandy smugglers in season 2 of next years compelling content updates. I'm sick of this "modeling planets with real science shit". Just give me a good cheese story and tell me what the fuck to do!

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
23. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:46 BIGtrouble77

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:32:
We're talking about a single map in CryEngine. An engine specifically made for FPS gameplay. And they can't hack a simple single level in any projected and scheduled amount of time? Does that give you confidence in this game's leadership? If so then more power to you, Sir...

One thing that set them back quite a bit was the way they decided to implement animations. Roberts wanted all of the character animations to be the same where every other game has separate animations for the first person view character vs the rest of the characters. Turns out this is not practical or possible with existing technology. So they ultimately had to redo all of the animations. That's a pretty big time sink for a lot of people.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Retina Windows? Oct 13, 2015, 14:46 BIGtrouble77

Can windows 10 even handle (scale the fonts/chrome) a monitor with the DPI of a Retina iMac? I use my non-retina 27" iMac as a monitor for my PC gaming rig now, but I'm curious if upgrading it is even an option.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2015, 15:03.

502 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo