Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 504 (Apprentice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities Skylines Snowfall Announced
10. Re: Cities Skylines Snowfall Announced Jan 19, 2016, 19:03 BIGtrouble77

I seriously need to budget how much money I give to Paradox... got another CK2 DLC coming out, Hearts of Iron IV, Stellaris and now this.

Next thing I know they'll be announcing Victoria III...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
55. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 02:08 BIGtrouble77

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 20:17:
Why is Microsoft aping Apple's playbook. Forcing yearly hardware and software cycles isn't endearing to a lot of people.

I don't get this statement... Apple doesn't force anything. I have a 2009 iMac that I use as my PC monitor and as a plex media center. It runs just as well today as when I bought it 6 years ago. You do no have to install the latest versions of macOS if you don't want to.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
16. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 14:11 BIGtrouble77

My windows 10 experience has been absolutely abysmal. Tons of crashes, bad driver support, bad built-in utilities (seriously, the wifi tools in win10 are just awful). Thank god I only game on this machine, I would never get any work done.

I hope gamers are more open to Linux, I think what valve is doing is amazing. I still have too many windows exclusives to make the switch, but I love that so much progress has been made in the last 5 years.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
27. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Jan 15, 2016, 19:56 BIGtrouble77

loomy wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 17:42:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 16:32:
is there a game worth buying yet?

NO. There are a few quests and that's it. More than people know, because they talk without playing it. I've spent a few hours playing. But it's not a whole game yet. It is like a DayZ alpha type of situation where everyone has their fun running around in the wild west.

That said, if anyone wanted a deal, they needed to buy the sale packages that just went by. The price of the game is probably going to double now.
Thanks, then I'll most likely be holding off this year, especially if the price goes up. I refuse to buy a ship or pay for anything over what the base game offers.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
20. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Jan 15, 2016, 16:32 BIGtrouble77

I'm definitely buying this game at some point, but is there a game worth buying yet? I'm still enjoying Elite Horizons immensely, but I want to get into SC when there's something of substance. It's hard to tell as these threads get polluted so quickly.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M
32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 19:57 BIGtrouble77

I still love this game and I've been playing since Beta. The Horizons update is mediocre as a DLC, but it's good value for new buyers.

The problem with Horizons is that we've gotten less than 1/4 of the content that's promised for this update. So right now the value is pretty low, but at the end of the year it will be much higher as there will be significantly more content (avatar designer, multi crew, ship launched fighters, etc).

Those of you that want a campaign, please stick to Star Citizen. That's your campaign tour-de-force, I'm sure the chairman won't let you down.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2016, 14:09 BIGtrouble77

The nagware is just for the casual users. MS will ultimately force us all to upgrade by restricting libraries to windows 10 (directX). I am very sorry I made the upgrade when I did... I went from a perfectly stable system to one that now crashes several times a week- win10 hates my iMac monitor for some reason.  

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: Corporate Espionage Jan 9, 2016, 00:41 BIGtrouble77

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 00:39:
The Raven wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:05:
They are accusing a customer of corporate espionage? For talking to another (former) customer? On twitter?

I don't give a crap what they talked about, or how much they hate some of their customers, that's not the definition of corporate espionage.

I think some backing levels allow you to take part in the actual game design. I don't know if this guy was a part of that, but it sounds like he revealed some info that was supposed to be confidential. The TOS for that backing level may have some kind of "non compete" clause that prevents them from sharing said information. I have no idea if this is the case, but that's possibly where "corporate espionage" came from.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: Corporate Espionage Jan 9, 2016, 00:39 BIGtrouble77

The Raven wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:05:
They are accusing a customer of corporate espionage? For talking to another (former) customer? On twitter?

I don't give a crap what they talked about, or how much they hate some of their customers, that's not the definition of corporate espionage.

I think some backing levels allow you to take part in the actual game design. I don't know if this guy was a part of that, but it sounds like he revealed some info that was supposed to be confidential. The TOS for that backing level may have some kind of "non compete" clause that prevents them from sharing said information. I have no idea if this is the case, but that's possibly where "corporate espionage" came from.

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
16. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 23:38 BIGtrouble77

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:40:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:23:
You guys think this is going to be too intense for a 7-8 year old? My son saw this on Steam and has been begging me for it ever since. The other FarCrys have way too mature themes, but this looks like it's just gore (which I'm hoping can be toned down in settings).

I finally let him play Assassins Creed Black Flag, which he loves, but I'm just concerned that this one might be too much.

According to the Ubi website, it's rated 'M for Mature' for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, and Sexual Content. ESRB doesn't seem to have the detailed synopsis on their site yet, but IMO the descriptors are enough to base your decision on.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I agree, this is probably going to be too mature. Black Flag is also M, but I've been ok with that one, the language is fine for the most part and no sex scenes. I might just get this and play through it myself and find parts that he can do that aren't bad. We mostly play everything together so I can censor it pretty quickly if I have to.

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
6. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 12:23 BIGtrouble77

You guys think this is going to be too intense for a 7-8 year old? My son saw this on Steam and has been begging me for it ever since. The other FarCrys have way too mature themes, but this looks like it's just gore (which I'm hoping can be toned down in settings).

I finally let him play Assassins Creed Black Flag, which he loves, but I'm just concerned that this one might be too much.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Conclave Announced
10. Re: Crusader Kings II: Conclave Announced Jan 7, 2016, 14:18 BIGtrouble77

descender wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 12:55:
I keep wanting to get into this game but the overwhelming amount of DLC (and lack of DLC packs to even get started somewhere) is extremely daunting. i don't want to buy in and find out later that I need to spend upwards of $100 on DLC to get balanced gameplay.

Can anyone here recommended a "you need these DLC's to start" list for CK2?

CK2 is one of those games where you have to put in a pretty big time investment into learning it, but once you have it can be an extremely rewarding experience. When the game was first released it only had one play style and lacked enough events which ultimately broke emersion.

Fast forward to today and it's a completely different situation. The base game is incredibly strong (every DLC brings non-trivial upgrades to the base game), events are extremely numerous and there are many play styles to choose from.

As far as DLCs go, you don't need any. You might want to snag the Ruler Designer DLC to make things a bit easier at the start, but this is not one of those games where you need to have X DLC for the game to be fun.

There is a treasure trove of LPs on youtube that go into great detail how to play this game well. The biggest time investment is just figuring out the Feudal system, it's kind of complicated and the rules change (significantly) depending on what type of culture you are. I always recommend starting as Ireland to get the simplest start while not having to worry about getting steamrolled by a local rival (starting in the Iberian Peninsula can be very challenging for a newcomer).

The late game can be really fun too, it's a different skill you need to manage a large empire and not have your successions destroy what you have built. I've had games where I've inherited large empires which ultimately destroyed everything I had. There are some players (Arumba on youtube) that have completely figured out the mechanics to this game and exploit it every time they play- which is pointless to me. I think this new DLC is here to address the problem of once you have your empire train rolling it just doesn't stop- this DLC seems to have the mechanic where empires can be destroyed from within.

This game is one of my all time favs, but I can see why it's too much of a time investment for some people. Sometimes it's just fun to have small aspirations, not every game needs to be about world conquest. If you can keep that in perspective and just enjoy the games for what they are, you will probably find it immensely enjoyable.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2016, 14:25.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent
2. Re: Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent Jan 5, 2016, 21:29 BIGtrouble77

Counterstrike is like professional cycling... I just asume everyone is cheating.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 3, 2016, 01:26 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 14:27:
A proprietary system and a walled garden with a massive, non-critical, non-technical, fan-boi user base full of vulnerabilities?

Hoocoodanode?
So... Windows is broken up into 7 versions while the Mac is 1... Android is just listed as Android, but makes no mention of Android based phones that are carrier maintained which tend to have their own set of vulnerabilities. Plus there's no mention of the severity of the vulnerabilities or what they even are.

Not saying things would be different if this was all clarified, but jumping to conclusions with ad hominem attacks just makes you sound like you post a lot here.

News Comments > Steam Christmas Issues Explained
7. Re: Steam Christmas Issues Explained Dec 31, 2015, 01:47 BIGtrouble77

Highly unlikely that the "caching partner" (most likely Akamai) will have any data on this. They are optimized for performance, not logging something that's virtually impossible to log anyway.

I think Valve added that last comment knowing fully it's BS.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 14:19 BIGtrouble77

I'm a big metal fan, but I could never get into Motorhead, I prefer the more melodic bands like Iron Maiden- Moorhead was always too harsh for me. That said, it's undeniable the mark Motorhead left so I have great respect for them.

I guess the best thing to happen is to die 2 days after the cancer diagnosis and avoid the agony of a drawn out end. At least he died doing what he loved... playing video games.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 15:22 BIGtrouble77

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:38:
This is, in my view the reason why the PC market is in trouble. There has been no software created in the last ten years that uses the available hardware.

guy is living in a fucking cave.. where do they find these people and how in the hell are they getting hired
This article reads like it was written by a 3rd grader. I would say VR is that thing that could force people to upgrade, but the problem is that they are targeting mobile VR more heavily than desktop PCs. The reality is that high end desktop PCs are going to be driven by gaming for the foreseeable future.

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
31. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 27, 2015, 02:44 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 22:01:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:59:
This issue seems to have stemmed from a DDOS attack optimization that wasn't fully tested- these are edge cases that are very hard to test at scale. In the web world, stuff like this happens a lot, it's our worst nightmare when cached data for different users gets mixed up. It looks terrible, but almost always benign.

The vitriol here is predictable, and it's always the same ignorant people. It doesn't give valve a free pass, but some of the assertions here are just ridiculous.

I'm kind of a luddite, so is this analogy correct? Some tubes got clogged, so my shit went into someone else's toilet, but it didn't overflow, so we're all good here now.

It's more a case of your shit and someone else's shit went to the same place (septic tank?). But when things backed up, since his shit came last, that's what ended up all over your bathroom floor. It did overflow, but it's just a smelly mess, nothing else.

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
13. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 15:59 BIGtrouble77

This issue seems to have stemmed from a DDOS attack optimization that wasn't fully tested- these are edge cases that are very hard to test at scale. In the web world, stuff like this happens a lot, it's our worst nightmare when cached data for different users gets mixed up. It looks terrible, but almost always benign.

The vitriol here is predictable, and it's always the same ignorant people. It doesn't give valve a free pass, but some of the assertions here are just ridiculous.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Dec 22, 2015, 03:02 BIGtrouble77

I actually still play Knights of Honor once in a while, great game.  

504 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo