Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 819 (Graduate)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Known Issues
7. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 27, 2018, 18:47 BIGtrouble77

I have personally not noticed any egregious lag issues. In fact, I'm not sure I notice any lag issues at all. The fact I'm on gigabit fiber might be part of it, but I don't think that would put the blame on the game.

Like every multiplayer FPS, I do great when the game is first released, but I progressively suck worse and worse as time goes on. I just can't compete with the kids that play 100 hours a week while I'm hopping in for a game or two on the weekend.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
4. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 12:43 BIGtrouble77

Dev describing the coil with a confused, bewildered look... "It's a technical nightmare".

I love everything about this game. I don't think we will ever again have an example of game design hubris at this level. The drama and comedy writes itself at this point.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month
8. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month Jan 12, 2018, 15:46 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 15:33:
Nimh wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 14:27:
Has this game been flushed out? The beta was good but after a 20-30 hours you pretty much saw or did all that there was to be done. Still p2p instances for everything?

I just started it - without the season pass - and I'd say no in that case. Everything is still just combat/piracy, courier, or mine/trade. There's not even a lot to see. And of course it takes forever to get anywhere. Still can't see trade data for the stations in the same fucking system. In short it's all just grind as far as I can see. Take a look at what Egosoft is doing with X4 - due out this year - instead.
"Everything is still just combat/piracy, courier, or mine/trade"
What else is there? FPS combat?

"There's not even a lot to see."
What are you expecting to see except for ships, space stations and planets?

"And of course it takes forever to get anywhere"
Are you advocating fast travel?

"Still can't see trade data for the stations in the same fucking system"
There are online utilities for this, but I hear you.

The Horizons DLC will address some of your issues with "there's nothing to see", but it sounds like you've already moved on. That's fine, but I don't think your criticisms are fair or even good critiques. I could come up with a laundry list of crap that I'd like addressed, but none of it maps to what you are saying.

7. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month Jan 12, 2018, 15:37 BIGtrouble77

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 14:55:
AFAIK, the only ones who have a reason to be slightly grumpy are the lifetime expansion pass buyers because their "lifetime" ended with Horizons if I understood things correctly. Those peeps might have to pay for future content (like everyone else).
But Frontier haven't really revealed their business model going forward so we'll have to see about all that.

I bought the game during the alpha when it was $75. As far as I'm concerned, the Kickstarter promises did not apply to me nor did it apply to the 95% of people complaining about them being broken. I knew this was a game would be evolving over many years, but FDEV needed a business model to do that. I'm fine with that pivot.

The game definitely feels empty when you start because so much content reveals itself as you progress- you can't just jump into fighting Thargoids and expect to enjoy it. I've got a maxed out Anaconda plus several hundred million in the bank and feel like I have not scratched the surface with what I can be doing.

2. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter One Beta This Month Jan 12, 2018, 13:11 BIGtrouble77

Lets just take a step back and acknowledge the fact that those who bought Horizons last year are getting this season's updates for free. So much more content in the game now than what we had a year ago.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
11. Re: Morning Previews Jan 10, 2018, 13:54 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 13:36:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 12:54:
3rd person view for combat? Worst idea ever.

I didn't say combat but yes that too. Flipping in and out of 3rd person for a birds eye view in combat is a huge help when you lose sight of an enemy, or multiple enemies in particular. Beyond that it's hugely helpful for mining or salvage. And then just being able to look around at space. Oh yeah and that's the other thing lacking in ED, any really nice aesthetic. At least in most space games they make stuff look pretty even if it isn't realistic.

But you can already do what you are asking. The last major release improved the external limpet camera significantly. They just don't want it used for combat because it is immersion breaking.

I love the aesthetic, it's not over the top like SC: (content with the external camera you seem to want)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlI5uoWd1cQ

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Jan 10, 2018, 12:54 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 11:33:
I picked up ED at Xmas seeing as it was less than $!0 and it's bad as I thought it would be. The drudgery and tedium in that game is mind-boggling. And all because Braben reneged on his promise and made it online only. Everything is a needless time sink. Almost zero customization - unless you pay. And nothing but grind. Nothing remotely close to anything that would qualify as interesting quest. No building or owning of things - besides a ship. Christ you can't even play in 3rd person!

So ED is a massive failure. SC will be an even bigger one. That only leaves Egosoft and X4. I'm cautiously optimistic on that one, but so far it looks amazeballs.
Not sure if I could disagree with you any more...

Moving to online-only is a different model, but it does have it's advantages. I like that the universe is 'living' and a bit unpredictable. The game would not evolve organically like it is now if there was no online component.

If you find it boring that's fine, but many don't find it boring in the least bit. If your only goal is to make money, then you are going to grind non-stop. If you actually try and diversify your missions and enjoy your current rank/ship then the game is much more rewarding.

3rd person view for combat? Worst idea ever.

Zero customization... have you ever built a ship? I'm assuming you mean just the visuals that have zero impact on gameplay. Yeah, those skins and bobbleheads cost a buck.

Elite isn't for everyone, but people that have these types of criticisms don't get the game and should look to something else, like Starpoint Gemeni 2.

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
16. Re: EA Gaming Patents Jan 9, 2018, 15:44 BIGtrouble77

I don't know why people are complaining here... all EA has done is patent shit gameplay mechanics. I'm totally fine with them having a monopoly on garbage.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 5, 2018, 12:13 BIGtrouble77

So facebook wants to decentralize to improve their centralized data mining operation? These are strange times.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 4, 2018, 14:18 BIGtrouble77

They got me to buy one and I haven't have a Nintendo console since the SNES. I personally use it for the indy games. I've already spent $100 on Blaster Master, Retro City Rampage, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Rocket League and Minecraft (for my son).

Still trying to get into Zelda. The Zelda/Smash Brothers fanatics have always irrationally annoyed me. I'd much rather deal with vulgar PC gamers.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 22:00 BIGtrouble77

BobBob wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:13:
Why not encourage them to read books and learn? Book
What does that have to do with anything? So kids should be having a bookclub meeting at their sleepover?

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 21:57 BIGtrouble77

I can't control what other parents do, but I do keep a close eye on what my son is watching. I have a youtube account for him that I constantly monitor.

I don't believe in blocking either, despite my earlier comment. If he watches something I don't approve of I'll ask him to watch it with me and we'll talk about it.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 13:52 BIGtrouble77

My son had the neighborhood kids over for a sleep over (5 8-9 year olds). They all got on their iPads and started watching "savage" Jake Paul videos.

They can play video games into the wee hours of the morning, they can eat junk food, they can binge watch Sponge Bob, but there's no way in hell this Youtube filth or his brother are polluting these kids heads when they're in my house.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 24, 2017, 13:43 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 12:20:
Yeah, Civ is a good choice for converting to tablet. I do wonder about how long the AI turns might take later in the game.
Considering it only works on the latest iPads, I assume it performs pretty well. The iPad pro is a beast.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 10:46 BIGtrouble77

I personally would like to be notified by the OS if my phone's battery is compromised, but the safety/stability tradeoff to performance is a no-brainer. Apple made the right move, but fucked it up my not notifying the user their device is operating in a compromised state.  

News Comments > PUBG Replay Details
3. Re: PUBG Replay Details Dec 18, 2017, 14:20 BIGtrouble77

So is this the feature that convinces all the complainers that they suck and it's not cheaters killing them?  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2017, 15:47 BIGtrouble77

I bought the game for my 8 year old son because he absolutely loves Starwars and I'm not going to make a political statement at his expense. That said, he got a lesson in loot crates and why we won't ever be purchasing them. He loves the game, but it looks like complete garbage to me. Graphically it's amazing, but gameplay is just awful, imo. Seems designed for the pre pubescent crowd.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2017, 17:50 BIGtrouble77

I had the browser window open to buy an Antminer and the shit sold out that moment. Assholes are buying up all the (asic) mining hardware and selling it on ebay for 5x the price.  

News Comments > Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Released
7. Re: Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Released Dec 7, 2017, 17:48 BIGtrouble77

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 14:51:
This is like the one thing this game doesn't need. Superficial variety.
I disagree, I really like the idea of this expansion. I personally prefer humanoid races in my games and I always play as humans in Distant Worlds, Stellaris, GalCiv, Aurora 4x, etc. Years of watching Stargate SG1 got me imagining that the universe is mostly filled with other humanoids.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Desert Map Details
8. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Desert Map Details Dec 6, 2017, 19:21 BIGtrouble77

Qvark wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 17:16:
What has Europe to do with Russia/Ukraine?
+1 to Cutter's response
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe

819 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo