Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 1028 (Pro)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans
15. Re: Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 15, 2019, 00:06 BIGtrouble77

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 23:34:
2. I'm sorry, but your statement that "VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor" is wrong, and here's why. Valve's Index "uses a 14401600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 28801600." 4K-UHD is 38402160 (this is the more common resolution for gamings) and true 4K 40962160 (this is the more common 4K resolution for movies and broadcasts). The index gives you a screen dimension that is 1000560 less than 4K-UHD. When you're eyes see an image at 28801600, you will notice the better visual fidelity.
I dunno, I have a Rift and the resolution sucks ass. Anything with an instrument panel with even the slightest bit of detail is going to suck. I can just barely stomach Elite Dangerous with my headset.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2019, 14:45 BIGtrouble77

There's some serious revisionist history going on in that Flash article. Giving away the open web to the whims of Macromedia was never a good idea.  

8. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 14:27 BIGtrouble77

SirKnight wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 12:40:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 12:09:
The last MS Flightsim I bought was v4.0 around 1990. After 30 years of virtually no interest, I think I'm all in on this one. Seriously looks like a massive step forward from every other flight sim out there.

Flight Sim 5.0 was a pretty massive jump from 4.0. 5.0 is the first one I bought and it has always stayed as my favorite, or at least close to the top. Even though later versions got even more detailed and better in every way, there's still something about version 5 that I really like.

I recently bought a new sealed copy of 4.0 on ebay. It says it's from 1989 and is on 5.25" floppies. I hope my only 5.25" drive I have left still works. While I do have other methods to get it on that old machine, I like doing it the "right" way.
I definitely got my copy in 1990, but it did come out in '89. I distinctly remember the manager at Egghead software trying to talk me out of buying it.

4.0 is easy to find online if you can't get the floppies to work... having the box and manuals is still awesome.

2. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 12:09 BIGtrouble77

The last MS Flightsim I bought was v4.0 around 1990. After 30 years of virtually no interest, I think I'm all in on this one. Seriously looks like a massive step forward from every other flight sim out there.  

News Comments > blitzchung Speaks Out
11. Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 17:39 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 16:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 16:06:
El Pit wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 15:47:
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

So much about "freedom of speech".

Maybe you should actually read the First Amendment.

Constitutional freedom of speech doesn't apply to private corporations for the most part. The exceptions are for protected classes.
Of course, but we as a society are allowed to resist things that may technically be legal, but not in line with our collective morality. We are free to boycott any business that acts in a way that harms our basic freedoms.

News Comments > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 Faces Off
1. Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 6 Faces Off Oct 12, 2019, 00:59 BIGtrouble77

Snagged  

News Comments > No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2
14. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 16:02 BIGtrouble77

El Pit wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 11:57:
But please try to buy from GOG first, if a game is available on this store, too.
Only reason I sometimes don't buy on GoG is that GoG users tend to get screwed on updates... Factorio being a good example. GoG users also get screwed when mods for the game in question primarily go through steam workshop.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month
27. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 15:17 BIGtrouble77

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 14:03:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 12:47:
What a dick punch to gamers pushing the steam release to December. No way in hell I'm buying it sooner.

Oh, I'm sure Cockstar will REALLY learn their lesson and reconsider their miserable existence if you buy the Steam version in December then Wink .

That said, I'm surprised it's not a Rockstar Launcher (RGL) exclusive mirroring UbiSoft's model of going EGS and uPlay exclusive with the latest titles (on the other hand not since R* greed is even more infinite than Ubi's). Maybe they are saving that for GTA VI when the RGL will have become more widely known and accepted through RDR2.

I'd have less of a problem if it was their launcher exclusive, but w/e.

Really want to play this game but a month wait is nothing.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month
12. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 12:47 BIGtrouble77

What a dick punch to gamers pushing the steam release to December. No way in hell I'm buying it sooner.  

News Comments > Get Minit for Free
4. Re: Get Minit for Free Oct 3, 2019, 18:47 BIGtrouble77

Wow, Surviving Mars is coming next. It might be the first game I actually play in EGS, rather than hoarding titles I'll never touch.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2019, 19:32 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 18:18:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 14:48:
That Joaquin Phoenix outtake was really unfortunate. The dude was in one of the better moods I've seen him in on late night, and that clip just killed his spirit. The guys that are method actors get so deep in their roles that tense stuff can happen on set. It felt uncomfortable because we really shouldn't have seen it... we don't know the context and we don't know the pressure he was under to get that scene right.

That doesn't matter in the least. That's how a spoiled child behaves. Anyone who ever behaved like that in my restos got 86'd immediately. Sometimes forcibly. The guy makes a fortune for pretending, it's not hard work. The least he could do is show some grace and professionalism.
I would think you of all people would have some understanding for a person's moment of weakness.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2019, 14:48 BIGtrouble77

That Joaquin Phoenix outtake was really unfortunate. The dude was in one of the better moods I've seen him in on late night, and that clip just killed his spirit. The guys that are method actors get so deep in their roles that tense stuff can happen on set. It felt uncomfortable because we really shouldn't have seen it... we don't know the context and we don't know the pressure he was under to get that scene right.  

News Comments > Gearbox Responds to Union Beef
4. Re: Gearbox Responds to Union Beef Oct 1, 2019, 11:51 BIGtrouble77

I would want to be in a union if I was still in the development side of the industry. These devs and creatives get so abused, it should be a crime. I got the hell out in 2001 and couldn't be happier for it. Nothing like your day job sucking the life out of your favorite pass time.  

News Comments > Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake
11. Re: Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake Sep 30, 2019, 23:36 BIGtrouble77

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 30, 2019, 22:48:
El Pit wrote on Sep 30, 2019, 13:36:
Being owned and destroyed by US hedge funds is soooo much better than by their Chinese counterpart! Right, guys? Guys? Hello?!
I'm not real sure where all the China hate comes from. Every thing you own from the clothes you wear to your mouse probably has all or some of its parts made in China. Why should pc games be any different.
Games aren't inanimate things. Culturally, Chinese games don't do anything for me and I'm sure most Western games don't do anything for them. The last 3 years I've been making games for the Chinese market and still can't figure out why people find them fun.

News Comments > Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake
1. Re: Tencent Acquires Funcom Stake Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 BIGtrouble77

I actually love that Tencent is a thing. The more they acquire and the bigger they become, the easier it is to identify shit games that I need to stay away from. Dune is definitely off my 2020 Christmas list.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 28, 2019, 18:08 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:38:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 15:24:
After using Ubuntu Warty Warthog in 2004, I decided to pivot my career to Open Source and Linux. That was about the time that the Windows XP security epidemic started (spyware/adware) and my job as a support technician was complete hell. It felt like such an unprofessional space to be in.

So happy I got into programming and just left the MS ecosystem in the dust. Windows 10 is fine for gaming machines, but I don't do serious work on it anymore. Windows is fundamentally flawed and that's never going to change unless they do a complete rewrite. *nix is a much better platform to build from. I kind of hoped Android would be the linux desktop we all dream of, but it's not happening yet. Someday maybe.

2 words that made this entirely 100% impossible for me (I mean moving to Linux, like even for a hobby)
Active Directory

Yes, it's a thing, oh my god is it a thing. The absolute fucking worst thing, but it's a thing. Literally EVERYWHERE. Virtualization? Managed by *nix box, but accounts on Windows you are NOT managing without Active Directory, you can do it of course, if you like suffering.

Literally every big company uses Active Directory, or if you are in Germany some form of SAP commercial management clusterfuck that's even worse in every aspect to active directory because there you can't easily replace it. It's part of a package deal ;/
My company is transitioning to Active Directory... we all use Macs and apparently they are supported.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 28, 2019, 15:24 BIGtrouble77

After using Ubuntu Warty Warthog in 2004, I decided to pivot my career to Open Source and Linux. That was about the time that the Windows XP security epidemic started (spyware/adware) and my job as a support technician was complete hell. It felt like such an unprofessional space to be in.

So happy I got into programming and just left the MS ecosystem in the dust. Windows 10 is fine for gaming machines, but I don't do serious work on it anymore. Windows is fundamentally flawed and that's never going to change unless they do a complete rewrite. *nix is a much better platform to build from. I kind of hoped Android would be the linux desktop we all dream of, but it's not happening yet. Someday maybe.

News Comments > Axis Football 2019 Kicks Off
3. Re: Axis Football 2019 Kicks Off Sep 27, 2019, 13:57 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 27, 2019, 13:51:
I'll have to watch some live streaming, they would have had to make a lot of improvement and I'm not even asking them to get anywhere near the polish EA had. Just a solid game and if they have that, with the other features.... maaaaaybe they have something.
I've been following this game since the beginning and have not seen anything that makes me think the game is any fun. Since Madden is on the PC now, I'd just go that route. I like supporting the indie guys, but this is never going to be worth my time.

News Comments > Axis Football 2019 Kicks Off
1. Re: Axis Football 2019 Kicks Off Sep 27, 2019, 11:24 BIGtrouble77

As much as I hate EA, I can't see anyone playing this over Madden.  

News Comments > Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com
6. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 25, 2019, 11:55 BIGtrouble77

I'd take this freebie over all of the EGS games offered so far except for Thimbleweed Park (had I not already owned it).

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2019, 12:27.

1028 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo