Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 484 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
24. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:39 BIGtrouble77

I think what's likely to happen is that MS will provide an xbox live-like service that will have api's for developers... kind of like how steam has Steam Workshop, but much, much more. I think the kicker would be if there was full online pc gaming support with xbox players via a simple api. MS has their Azure platform that is ripe for automated launching of game servers in the cloud. You can do all of this now, but it's not easy.

Microsoft has the ability to do serious harm to steam if they put effort into something like this, I just think PC gaming was never on their radar enough to justify the effort. But if they integrate the effort with xbox, then there's a big enough market.

I'm ok with MS doing this, but I think they would be horrible caretakers of PC gaming if they ever did become the dominant platform. I like what valve is doing now, but steam is shockingly buggy considering how old it is. Everything about it feels dated and I'm surprised that valve has not come out with a suite of their own apis for game devs. They have a few services, but nothing terribly impressive. As much as I like the idea of steamos, I think it's doomed to fail. The time and money would have been better spent on cloud services for games and devs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 25, 2016, 01:26 BIGtrouble77

These are not games Blue.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus
4. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus Jul 22, 2016, 00:25 BIGtrouble77

This is the first civ I'm going to pass on. The formula is so tired and each release keeps playing like a god game. Since getting into Paradox's strategy games, I've realized that there are way more satisfying empire management sims out there.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 19, 2016, 02:39 BIGtrouble77

Neo Scavenger is great.  

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
2. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:21 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand how there's so much fraud around steam keys. It seems like whatever Valve's process is for generating and securing them is entirely flawed.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 17, 2016, 20:47 BIGtrouble77

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:50:
Congrats to Tynan. Hope he will make another game as good as Rimworld, even though I suppose he may be bit burned out with this particular genre/style.

RimWorld is labeled as EA so I don't think he plans to stop any time soon, especially now that he's probably making some serious money. This is one of the rare titles that deserves it's "Overwhelmingly Positive" review status.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2016, 11:54 BIGtrouble77

He was talking specifically to the sites (like the verge and polygon) that rushed to release clickbait and not properly report on the facts. At the time he disclosed that the content in question was in fact promoted.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2016, 12:40 BIGtrouble77

I love that they always use the photo of him flicking off nVidia.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free
3. Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 8, 2016, 13:33 BIGtrouble77

I've probably put around 600 hours into Elite which makes it my 3rd most played game on steam. The beginning of the game can be a grind, but that moment you figure out how to make money can be really exciting.

For me, I was grinding for so long in my sidewinder, saving up for a hauler. When I finally got my hauler I had just learned about trading rares. I did two back and forth shieldless missions from Lave to Tauri39 loaded with 20 tons of rates- barely making it through both alive. In those few nerve breaking hours I got enough money to buy a cobra and things just took off from there.

I have not played a lot lately, but I can see getting back into it heavily again. The Engineers release looks really solid, but I have not tried any of those mission yet. I know the group of people that put in over a 1,000 hours can be very vocal about how the game lacks depth and balance, but I don't see it. Whenever I get bored of something in the game I go off and try something new.

Arena is pretty fun, but I suck horribly. I'm not good at combat so I tend to avoid it. All in all, elite has play out amazing well for me since I bought into the alpha.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 16:36 BIGtrouble77

I first started visiting Blue's in '98 when I was doing Half Life mods and trying to get a job in the games industry.

I'm so impressed you have not changed much in that time. It's pretty awesome this site still pretty much works like it always has. I'll probably continue to keep visiting every day out of pure nostalgia.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2016, 14:08 BIGtrouble77

If valve does as well with the vive software as they have with the Steam controller, I might actually end up getting one.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
19. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 18:51 BIGtrouble77

Regarding the hype and comparisons to the 970, I think there is some optimism regarding how well it's future proofed. If you buy the 8gb version it's not going to be quite as gimped in the future and it seems to have better driver headroom in anything optimized for DX12/Vulcan. The 970 only has 3.5gb memory so I'm not certain it will do well for dx12 games.

I might have been in the market for a 1070/1080, but I feel like nvidia is just gouging and couldn't meet the demand if they priced reasonably anyway. Now I just need to see if I upgrade now or buy when the Vegas are available during the holiday.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
11. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 13:43 BIGtrouble77

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:05:
It's also worth noting that these are all reference boards so if you plan to overclock for more performance, you're shit outta luck for the most part until AIBs are released.
XFX is releasing an overclocked "Black" edition today. It has a custom back plate that is apparently better, but comes in at $270.

I wish buying a card was a little more straight forward. I was going to buy one today, but I think I'll wait a few weeks for the AIB cards to come out now that people are seeing some really high temps.

News Comments > Godus Dead?
8. Re: Is Godus Dead? Jun 28, 2016, 23:24 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 18:47:
If anyone is working on it they are making a financial mistake. That is now a cut your losses and on to the next. There is no chance that this will become some type of big seller all of a sudden.
Exactly, how long is this guy supposed to keep this horse on life support? I feel bad for that dev they hired to try and bring this thing back to life. I don't think anyone thought that was going to turn out well.

I'm curious to see what they come up with next. I'm so bored of Godus, hopefully it is dead and we can all move on.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Oops Jun 27, 2016, 01:31 BIGtrouble77

I'm never go to get GTA V at 60%+ off if people keep buying it in droves for these mediocre discounts.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Videos
13. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 01:36 BIGtrouble77

Total-Khaos wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 12:27:
So tired of this cartoony bullshit. Give us a real Civ game please.

It's called Europa Universalis IV. Civ V is the last game in the series I'll likely ever buy.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Scale Change Plans
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Scale Change Plans Jun 24, 2016, 17:14 BIGtrouble77

Awesome news. I've been playing this game bit by bit for the past couple weeks and my main criticism would be the scale. I think they are convinced that this game has great potential in the US market and is ultimately worth the investment.

I also noticed that some of the default graphical settings make the game look much worse than they should. Disabling DOF gave me huge visual improvements.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2016, 18:06 BIGtrouble77

These are the reasons I see for the change:
- slimmer profile, apple is obsessed with this
- better analog conversion
- better water resistance
- ability to pass data to and from the headphones- noise cancelling on the device
- unify connectors to one common port

Headphones with detachable cables should be able to support a lightning cable, but other headphones will need an adapter.

I'm not convinced this is a great move, but I thought usb keyboards was ludicrous back in the day so who knows? I have several high end headphones that will not benefit from this at all, but a new generation of headphones might have some compelling features.

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
30. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 16:57 BIGtrouble77

Shok wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 16:27:
Stellaris is a whole 10% off???

Guess I'll wait for the Winter sale or the eventual sale when Paradox has a million DLC's so the base game costs next to nothing.
I got way more than that off when I pre-ordered through GMG.

Distant Worlds is 50% off and it's a much better game, imo.

News Comments > Free Europa Universalis IV Music DLC
3. Re: Free Europa Universalis IV Music DLC Jun 21, 2016, 13:27 BIGtrouble77

Happy Paradox is doing well these days. They found a pretty decent model to sustain development on their in house "niche" strategy games that seems to work well. As long as they keep selling their base games cheap and releasing quality DLC, I'll keep giving them my money.  

484 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo