Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 855 (Graduate)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game
5. Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 BIGtrouble77

Prez wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 10:42:
I spend the largest portion of my game browsing time on Steam (mostly because there is a cubic fuckton of shit to sift through) and honestly, I am glad that EA games aren't on there.
I've come to the realization that I play indie games about 90% of the time despite having a high end 4k gaming machine. I've gotten into the habit of mentally filtering out the AAA garbage that dominate Steam and look for the indie gems that I actually enjoy playing. It's frustrating that the same garbage AAA titles always dominate the Steam charts when there's much better stuff that no one ever sees.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2019, 16:35 BIGtrouble77

Simon Says wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:14:
BatteryGate beat Apples Net profit down from $18.9564 Billion to $18.95639 B.

Grounds enough to get some heads rolling, can't have that.
The investor that bought in at $18.9564 wants heads to roll.

News Comments > Celeste Released
2. Re: Celeste Released Jan 14, 2019, 16:52 BIGtrouble77

Looks like Super Meat Boy with RPG elements and without the meat.  

News Comments > Paradox Buys Prison Architect
5. Re: Paradox Buys Prison Architect Jan 8, 2019, 13:42 BIGtrouble77

How about starting off with Alien World Architect? I'm sure people would love that one.  

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Available Again
3. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 20:14 BIGtrouble77

Mondosapien wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 19:50:
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Stardock_Systems_Inc._v._Paul_Reiche_III_and_Robert_Frederick_Ford

The other timeline presented by Stardock is, as you'd imagine, pretty biased.
My head nearly imploded reading that. I've never seen such a shit show over a completely irrelevant IP.

News Comments > DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite
2. Re: DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite Jan 1, 2019, 13:00 BIGtrouble77

I feel like the layoff comment was added to increase the emotional response, they were most likely planning to do the layoffs regardless, but this drama is still one of the most fucked up game industry injustices that I can recall in recent times. Stardock is getting beaten down by attrition... I'm starting to think that Reiche and Ford are going to ultimately win this war when Stardock decides to move on and not bother with this IP any more.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 30, 2018, 15:39 BIGtrouble77

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 30, 2018, 14:51:
hahahaaaaa @ the soulja boy thing. It was pretty obvious that this was how it was gonna go down from the moment he announced these stupid things.
I think he honestly thought he as in the right and this was all just business because, you know, he's just a business man.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2018, 16:14 BIGtrouble77

Simon Says wrote on Dec 27, 2018, 13:14:
"Maybe just switch phone brands?"

Will that even be an option for long?
"Apple wasn’t the first to ditch the headphone port — but, just as with its decision to include one, its decision to remove it has turned the tide. A few months after the portless iPhone 7 was announced, Xiaomi nixed the port on the Mi 6. Then Google ditched it from its flagship Android phone, the Pixel 3. Even Samsung, which lampooned Apple for the decision, seems to be tinkering with the idea of dropping it. Though leaks suggest the upcoming Galaxy S10 will have a headphone port, the company pulled it from the mid-range A8 line earlier this year."

I love the revisionist history on Blue's.

News Comments > Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Rolls Out
2. Re: Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Rolls Out Dec 21, 2018, 12:24 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 11:11:
Looks great but $95CDN is a hard pass.
That and pushing the $15usd/month premium pass is just insane. I don't even want to bother to see if the game will interest me at those prices.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 18, 2018, 19:14 BIGtrouble77

Curious Expedition is really good. It's the only roguelike that scratches my FTL itch.  

News Comments > Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split
2. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 14, 2018, 17:27 BIGtrouble77

Maybe this trend motivates Valve to do more than just Steam?  

News Comments > Paradox Teases "Secret Project"
4. Re: Paradox Teases Dec 14, 2018, 13:20 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 12:54:
DLC Simulator 2019?
Stellaris has made massive mechanics changes 2x now, neither of which required the purchase of any DLC. You can shit on the DLC policy all you want, but Paradox base games have a longer life and get more substantial updates than any other games I know of. The changes for Megacorp were roughly 75% base game, 25% DLC.

News Comments > Paradox Teases "Secret Project"
2. Re: Paradox Teases Dec 14, 2018, 12:30 BIGtrouble77

Victoria III confirmed!  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 11, 2018, 12:00 BIGtrouble77

SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Mouse is actually a headphones review.  

News Comments > Battle Royale Tycoon Released
2. Re: Battle Royale Tycoon Released Dec 11, 2018, 11:59 BIGtrouble77

I feel like this would be more appropriately called "Battle Royale Theme Park".  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 10, 2018, 13:31 BIGtrouble77

I'm confused, I thought no one wants braided mouse cables anymore in favor of less rigid rubber cables.  

News Comments > John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad
9. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 12:01 BIGtrouble77

I take back what I said yesterday, he's just doing what he does best in this case.  

News Comments > John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow
27. Re: John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow Dec 9, 2018, 22:08 BIGtrouble77

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 21:50:
Your initial insult to him applies broadly to people you care about. Insult his design ability, not his coding ability, otherwise it looks more like you don't understand job functions in the industry than it looks like you're making a sick burn.
I guess we'll have to look at this announcement and see if he's just a "Game Designer". I'm sorry, but people that make indie games have to wear several hats. It makes no sense that he would announce a game and not be an active coder on it unless it's something someone else developed and is just using his notoriety to get publicity.

And I do understand job functions in the industry. I've been doing them for almost 20 years.

21. Re: John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow Dec 9, 2018, 19:29 BIGtrouble77

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 18:54:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 16:36:
WaltC nailed it. The guy is just a glorified level designer. I'd love to hear what his former coworkers (like at Midway) have to say about his coding ability.

He's a game designer, not an engineer. He doesn't need to be adept at coding. No single person is adept at every aspect of designing video games anymore - there's a reason many have over 400 people working on them. I'd imagine most Michelin star chefs can't raise cows.

Not defending him, but his fame comes from coming up with a killer idea for a game, not from actually coding it. Carmack did the bulk of the coding. Romero just gave Doom the concept that made it Doom. We can argue which is more important, and almost all of us would agree it's Carmack (which makes sense, he's a generational talent), but Doom wouldn't have been Doom without either.
On the wikipedia page... Occupation: Video game designer, video game programmer

He has only proven that he once made some good levels for a game in the early 90's, since then has never designed a game himself that had any success, can't hold a job and has aspirations to make a game to return him to his previous glory. I find it hilarious how you guys will shit on Chris Roberts (an actual active game designer) and defend a guy like Romero. I realize Romero is kind of pathetic, so it's hard to kick the guy when he's been down for 25 years, but giving these game announcement schemes of his any level of credibility at this point defies logic.

The guy is unlikely to finish anything he starts, and if he does... it's going to suck. Lets see if he proves me wrong.

12. Re: John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow Dec 9, 2018, 16:36 BIGtrouble77

WaltC nailed it. The guy is just a glorified level designer. I'd love to hear what his former coworkers (like at Midway) have to say about his coding ability.  

855 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo