Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 4201 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 31, 2016, 13:50  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:54:
I'm interested in reading reviews about StarVR

The reason this is just a tech bit is because it doesn't seem like these are aimed at us until they start appearing in VR theaters or arcades of some sort:

The realization of the most premium VR experience ever offered isnt just our dream, but one of an entire ecosystem that encompasses hardware makers, videogame developers, theater companies, filmmakers and many others.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2016, 13:57  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 11:45:
Oh, well cool! It all works out then!

edit: Looking on steam now...I hope you got Missing Link previously, as I don't see it available separately now, either.

Yes, that's listed in my DLC.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2016, 11:38  Blue 

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 10:44:
I just finished the DC version a few days ago. It did hitch now and again but never during action or anything important so I just scratched it down to crappy optimization and didn't think of it again.

Okay, I misspoke, I do not have the Director's Cut. My copy doesn't actually say it is, I think I assumed it was because it came bundled with DLC. But my installation date is 7/15/13 (just checked, yup, Steam Summer Sale) and the Director's Cut came out in October 2013.

Seems like this is good news. As has been pointed out, the Director's Cut is apparently forked off at an older version. It has problems the original game doesn't, so it actually could have been even worse for me.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 16:09  Blue 

Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 15:10:
There is no need for a curved screen monitor for gaming monitors of this size. its a gimmick that servers no purpose to allow you to see the game any better. I've looked at them and I personally cant see any reason for them.

Here's a counterpoint: When using two monitors, almost everyone skews them a bit to have the outside edges be a little closer to them (myself included). If this mirrors what everyone naturally does with that much screen real estate, maybe it's for a reason.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

General Discussion > BN display on mobile
16. Re: removed Aug 29, 2016, 10:01  Blue 

Rhialto wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 10:47:
david wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 03:43:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 26, 2016, 04:47.
Was that spam? Damn, I received an alert that this topic was updated and was thinking that finally BN offered a new look working on all platform.

Yeah, one of those generic replies with a signature to spam a site URL.

What about my idea of using WordPress?

The possibility of using a generic CMS for a mobile site is not out of the question. But this carries a lot of complications, and will probably require me finding a resource to trust to help with this beyond Frans, as he probably won't have the bandwidth to help make this happen.

There is a fledgling effort to look at the CSS here and make the site's default display look better on smartphones, as well, but all of this is fits and starts.

Basically, we have a couple of decades of spaghetti code here, and it is more than a little daunting trying to find a way out of this box.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 08:59  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 08:52:
This painting can't possibly meet my expectations, at this point.

Haha. If there is a real demand I'll post a picture (I can probably find it listed online). It's a very wide (three panels) painting of some chickens and geese. So no, there's no way for it to live up to anything. I actually like it a lot though.

The weird thing is it may be more of a thing than it seems. We paid $100 for a 30 year-old painting. The artist is still alive and her new work all sells for thousands of dollars. I think the auction was too obscure for anyone to notice.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 08:46  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:27:
Blue wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 16:36:

No, he did us the "favor" of picking it up for us. Without us knowing he would do so, which is crazy, and caused our wasted trip. She got it from him at work today.

Serenity now!

There are these devices called "cell phones." Quite magical, really. They allow you to communicate with other human beings across 1000s of miles at the touch of a few buttons. Most even support video chat even, so you can confirm with others the exact piece of art one is buying for someone else. Do these not exist in the land of New Jersey? Perhaps the fat ruler of said land has throttled their sale, for spite? As he did the bridge traffic into New York for several days once.

Cell phones, huh? I'll have to check into those. In this case we used this preceding technology called a conversation.

Dude from work: I'm going to the auction place. I can pick up your painting for you.

MrsBlue: No thanks, I think we're picking it up ourselves. If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 16:36  Blue 

1badmf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 16:27:
Blue wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 11:19:
nin wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 09:33:
But you did get it?

Not yet, she'll see him at work today.

sooo... this coworker ...stole... it?!? otherwise how do you confuse no with yes.

No, he did us the "favor" of picking it up for us. Without us knowing he would do so, which is crazy, and caused our wasted trip. She got it from him at work today.

Serenity now!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 14:55  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:07:
I really had no idea, apologizes.

No need to apologize... it's not something that's really been discussed much here.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 11:19  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 09:33:
But you did get it?

Not yet, she'll see him at work today.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

19. Re: removed Aug 22, 2016, 07:47  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 13:24:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 15:25:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2016, 01:05.
Opps, what happened, are G2A links not allowed, I've seen other post them in the past?

I've tried to avoid linking that place for some time. Some may disagree, but they seem to be facilitating a pretty dark gray market that's not good for the game industry. I'm open to other points of view on this, but that's why I deleted those posts.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 07:42  Blue 

mark gil wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 17:46:
"HCAs, a family of mutagenic compounds, are produced during the cooking process of many animal products, including chicken, beef, pork, and fish. Even meat that is cooked under normal grilling, frying, or oven-broiling may contain significant quantities of these mutagens. The longer and hotter the meat is cooked, the more these compounds form. In some studies, grilled chicken has formed higher concentrations of these cancer-causing substances than other types of cooked meat."

http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/diet-cancer/facts/meat-consumption-and-cancer-risk

So you're saying you want your burger medium rare?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 14:43  Blue 

WaltC wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:44:
Very amusing...been driving gasoline cars for more decades than I sometimes care to think about, over a dozen new (mostly) cars--and I had one gas fire--that extinguished itself in less than a minute, with zero damage to the car--other than I had to replace a leaking gasket that was the cause--and that was in 1987 in a Chrysler 2.2L turbo-charged engine. I wound up putting 103000 miles on the car before I traded it. Never, ever had one simply catch fire and burn to the ground, much less in five minutes...;) Never even heard of a brand-new gasoline auto *ever* doing that...;)

They happen every day. Actually, according to the National Fire Protection Association Fire Analysis and Research Division they happen 786 times a day in the U.S. Enough to burn up well over a billion dollars in cars per year:

In 2003-2007, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per
year. These fires caused an average of 480 civilian deaths, 1,525 civilian injuries, and $1.3
billion in direct property damage annually. Cars, trucks and other highway vehicles
(meaning a vehicle designed for highway use, not that the fire occurred on a highway)
accounted for 93% of the vehicle fires and 92% of the vehicle fire deaths. Data from the
U.S. Fire Administrations (USFAs) National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) and
the National Fire Protection Associations (NFPAs) annual fire department experience
survey are used to provide details about the types of vehicles involved in fire and the
circumstances of highway vehicle fires.

Mechanical or electrical failures caused roughly three-quarters of the highway vehicle fires,
but only 11% of the deaths. Collisions and overturns were factors contributing to the ignition
in only 3% of the fires, but fires resulting from these incidents caused 58% of these vehicle
fire deaths. Older teens and young adults are the age groups at highest risk of highway
vehicle fire death and injuries. One-third (35%) of non-fatal highway vehicle fires injuries
occurred when civilians attempted to fight the fire themselves.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2016, 14:03  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:22:
Well it's good to know that NASA only consisted of 3 black women and it was their sole effort alone that put man on the moon.

Rolleyes

If you are going to summarize the takeaway from something so perfectly you should mark it as a spoiler.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2016, 10:09  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:01:
Don't move a muscle. Mon cheri! But you run away!

Kinda cute, when they're not spraying the hell out of things.

They were super cute, both in appearance and behavior.

But yeah, that spray (ugh).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2016, 11:26  Blue 

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 10:43:
Hey Blue, where did you get the caster mods? That sounds fantastic.

They went on sale on Amazon and I noticed them. Never heard of such a thing before, but there are other versions available.

They are indeed fantastic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Changes
8. Re: Overwatch Competitive Changes Aug 16, 2016, 10:39  Blue 

Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 08:19:
theglaze wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 01:37:
Season 1 ends on the 18th...I've hit 55 three times but can't get 56...if I do it's the next tier and the reward equates to 40 match wins! Must....try........harder!!!!

I keep hanging at 62. There's a big diff between 59 and 62. No teamplay or voicechat at 59. OK teamplay and much voicechat at 62. I love that.

Considering Jeff says that rank 60 is top 6% (which just proves the math behind this system was done by monkeys), rank 62 sounds really damned impressive. Nice!

But seriously, a 1-100 ranking system where ~90% of the players fall between 40 and 60 doesn't make a ton of sense. Do they really feel we need a twice the range in *both* the top and bottom 5% than the middle 90%?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Aug 16, 2016, 10:32  Blue 

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 09:07:
I thought this guy was in his 90s back when I was a kid and I would see him in stuff. One of those forever-old people I guess.

I had a similar thought. Guess it's the Abe Vigoda syndrome.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2016, 14:10  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 14:02:
He's in shitty assed Tulsa, along with me! Well, the burbs...we're actually supposed t have a week of high 80s, low 90s, with the storm from the south coming up.

That was my first thought, but I saw the OK City forecast didn't seem to correlate with that. Anyway, it cooled off here, so that makes it:

Here: 93F (34C) - Humidity 52% - Heat Index 102F (39C)
Tulsa: 89F (32C) - Humidity 47% - Heat Index 92F (33C)

Yay, I'm winning!! No, wait...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2016, 13:50  Blue 

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 12:42:
Oh no, 90 for the third consecutive day??!

*sees the temperature gauge break 90+ for like the 100th straight day.*

Cool story bro. Guess I'mm called out for complaining for no reason. BTW, where are you? Isn't it Europe? The Netherlands? I can't keep anything straight.

Anyway, the only place I can find on NOAA worse than here is Washington DC. Here's a sampling of the US weather right now:

Here: 94F - Humidity 52% - Heat Index 104F (40C)

Death Valley, CA: 103F - Humidity 7% - Heat Index 97F (36C)
Phoenix, AZ: 97F - Humidity 33% - Heat Index 99F (37C)
Las Vegas, NV: 97F - Humidity 11% - Heat Index 92F (33C)
Atlanta, GA: 86F - Humidity 57% - Heat Index 90F (32C)
Los Angeles, CA: 77F - Humidity 64% - Heat Index 79F (26C)
Miami, FL: 88F - Humidity 66% - Heat Index 98F (37C)
Oklahoma City, OK: 86F - Humidity 49% - Heat Index 88F (31C)
San Antonio, TX: 76F - Humidity 91% - Heat Index 76F (24C)

What's that they say? It's not the heat, it's the humidity? Actually it's the heat *and* the humidity.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2016, 13:55.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4201 Comments. 211 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo