Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 4176 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2016, 08:45  Blue 

PHJF wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 08:29:
True story, I HATE yelling fore, even when I know I should. Yelling on a golf course just feels so dirty... it doesn't help that my regular playing partner also never yells it (he hits toward people way more often than I do).

I tried to learn golf in my teen years. Could never get over a horrible slice. I would have benefited from an electronic driver that could automatically shout "Fore!" as the ball hit the clubface.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
20. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 12:29  Blue 

descender wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 11:31:
I am not the one that started this conversation and don't appreciate the blame. My posts were completely benign and while I have questioned why you use those links in the past it isn't my fault if other people also continue to question it.

I'm not blaming you for anything. I just answered your questions, and noted I had done so before, as had others in this thread. I'm not angry, and I'm not trying to anger you. The only point was I felt had addressed this already.

I thought we were here to have discussions... like the merits of using a curating service that like 20 people vote on... but that is your choice and I am free to wonder aloud why someone would do so.

Are we not discussing this now? The question of the merits of trusting the curation of such a small audience still seems open. But I hope my expanded explanation of why I currently do so will satisfy that other curiosity.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

18. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 11:18  Blue 

descender wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 10:34:
If you actually use it to find stuff that's great, I just don't understand why :p

I and others have answered that question many times in the past, including in this thread. Let's have at it again, for the last time please?

That's exactly the site's use, to find videos. By curating the submissions via a voting system it highlights worthwhile clips. There are other sources for this type of service, but Ant's participation helped VideoSift become a fixture here. We could just pick from YouTube highlights, but those are all the most popular clips in the world. We have many of those already, so a smaller audience sometimes also helps find others.

If you don't want to or need to use such a service yourself, that's fine. Saying "I don't understand why" anyone would use it after getting it explained every time the topic comes up is starting to seem weird.

The solution to the VideoSift "problem" would be to submit alternative videos. Asking why over and over again just makes me worry that I need to further clarify something (so here I am).

And to follow the joking reference to monetization, we get the same generous compensation from everyone. VideoSift, YouTube, and all the sites linked in all the stories here pay a flat zero dollars per mention. Any site that doesn't submit a payment of nothing at the end of each month gets cut off immediately. The exception to this is our Amazon affiliation, our only commission program. This pays actual money on purchases there after you follow the Amazon link from here.

Does that settle this?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

14. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 4, 2016, 10:13  Blue 

descender wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 09:38:
It is unlikely that the "video" was actually found on Videosift in the first place.

Really? So we've gone from suggestions that I post the YouTube link and just give a thank you to VideoSift to the accusation that I notice the videos on YouTube and then search for a VideoSift link to post?

This rabbit hole has gotten really strange.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2016, 12:47  Blue 

MattyC wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 08:00:
So don't leave us hanging... how did the fridge replacement go?

Still working on this, this was part of my fact-finding.

Doesn't help that it doesn't seem to be easy to get a handle on reliability expectations. Consumer Reports is a shadow of its former self in reporting this, and reviews are confused at best.

Like their top-rated French door fridge in our size is from LG, a brand I don't particularly trust. You look on Best Buy and they have loads of reviews and a 4.5 star rating. You go on Amazon and there are only a few reviews but they all are negative. I ask the question about fridges here, and Cutter says to avoid his mistake my avoiding LG.

Even with the Best Buy ratings, I feel like if I buy that one and it has any problems I'm going to feel stupid for ignoring that advice.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue - Girls On Film Aug 2, 2016, 10:57  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 10:34:
Steelcamp wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 10:27:
GIMMIE THAT!!

I would suspect the tape has long since deteriorated. But I'd be surprised if it's not on YT/vimeo...

I don't think YouTube allows nudity. But it is indeed on both Vimeo and DailyMotion.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 07:46  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 22:09:
I maybe going dark on 8/1, so in case this is my last post, thanks to everyone for the help over the years and lively debates. It good to know you guys are around keeping the rest of the world in line! Salute

It sounds like there's some drama connected with your online status, I hope you can work that out. Either way, this is a fine time to thank you for your participation and all the links you've contributed over the years.

If you do end up offline, godspeed. We'll keep a light on for you. Salute

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 1, 2016, 07:29  Blue 

LiTh wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 18:08:
Why not just find a local store with the model your looking at and bring a tape measure to make sure?

It isn't a question of whether the measurements are accurate. It is a question of whether it will actually be practical to install a 32.75" fridge in a 33" space. The concern is it will leave me with door clearance or ventilation issues (like those discussed here).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Super Kaiju Early Access [Update 2]
4. Re: Super Kaiju Early Access [Updated] Jul 31, 2016, 12:01  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 11:31:
on Steam page it clearly only supports the Vive..

This has changed since this story was posted. The game went up with logos for both Rift and Vive.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/462520/discussions/0/360670708790154105

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 11:16  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 11:04:
Actually she makes a great case.. because she seems to think youtube is the internet ;p

When in reality, nobody in a game cares how old you are, unless you are younger than 13 and playing BF4.......

Yeah, I've met some good friends on the internet who are less than half my age, and I've never encountered any ageism at all. They kid me about being old like I kid them about being young, but we're all having fun.

I think you're right that she's looking through the filter of YouTube. Seems like a dick move by the HuffPo to profile an older lady gamer who has a large following who admits the trolls don't actually attack her and turn it into a headline about the internet being ageist.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2016, 09:36  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 09:29:
For $15 sans fries the burger had better be good. Anyplace with tartare on the menu should know how to handle their meat.
I get turned off by the places that think the bigger the patty the better the burger and frequently it's the opposite.

Saddly, eating out is sometimes like the lottery, glad you found a winner.

Burger did come with fries, even though the menu doesn't mention it. It was a 7oz patty, which is large but manageable (I make 8oz patties myself). It may seem overpriced to an out-of-towner, but that price isn't out of line for a large burger in a fancy Manhattan restaurant.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: Into the Black Jul 28, 2016, 09:25  Blue 

descender wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:57:
I have a cube on my desk at home that I've been randomly picking up and erm... "solving" for about 17 years now.

I'll get it eventually. Probably. But it will be immensely satisfying when it happens.

Not to ruin your dream, but with 43 quintillion (I shit you not) possible combinations, the chances of solving a cube randomly are probably equal to the odds of writing a coherent novel by randomly tapping a keyboard.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2016, 09:04  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 23:25:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 18:26:
In case anyone else wants it, a mod 'Care Your Eyes' works, mostly. You can use it to edit colors, fonts or whatever. You have to disable it for sites like Blue's with a click once. At least it kills sites that try to blind you with white backgrounds.

Retraction, 'Care Your Eyes' does work but if you use addons such as WoT(Web of Trust) it hides the webpage rating icons. Oh well, I might manually change some with F12, code edits.

All-white backgrounds are usually caused by a CSS not loading, and that can usually be fixed by forcing a full refresh.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2016, 08:23  Blue 

Ravenus wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 02:25:
So I assume you recently got the Universal Classic Monsters collection on blu-ray (or some of the single movie releases). That's a really good set with nice transfers and some great bonus features for the signature movies. Boris Karloff was terrific in the Mummy. It's slow but very atmospheric with great shadowy cinematography.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I am very impressed by the quality of the restorations. It's a great set.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2016, 17:23  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 16:06:
Isn't there a pond or a crick nearby where the Gunnar-man can cool off? Dogs like cricks in the summer. The good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise!

Not really. We're near the local river, but there are basically two places to access it. One is a beach, which is a village park, and off-limits to dogs. The other is a public boat landing which is so hard to access down a treacherous hill that I imagine it's to discourage its use. We go there and Gunnar always looks at me like, "this is nuts, are we really supposed to be walking here?"

The other thing is that he is the least interested in water poodle you have ever met. I got Hudson the wonder dog to actually swim once, which is one more time than Gunnar has been willing to try.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

58. Re: 20? Jul 11, 2016, 09:45  Blue 

Ant wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:39:
Blue, have you checked on archive.org?

https://web.archive.org/web/19970204065209/http://bluesnews.com/q-july.html appears to be oldest on there!

Yeah, but we're older than the that site, so that was all slurped from our archive after it was pruned. In other words, that page is basically the same as this one:

https://www.bluesnews.com/archives/july96.html

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More Blood Revival Teasing
2. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 12:47  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 12:41:
Uggh, please don't screw this up, when they tried to make their own Blood (original was made by 3D Realms, iirc), Blood 2 was terrible.

Monolith was developer on both Blood games, though George and Scott from 3D Realms are credited as producers on the original.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: The Crazy Plan One Guy Used To Get The World's Highest Steam Level Overnight… Jul 9, 2016, 12:28  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 12:25:
Spending money on games seems like a good, if not the best use of money imo...

For clarity (and not to judge), it should be pointed out that a lot of that money did not go to actual games, it went to trading cards.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2016, 14:52  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 14:47:
Thank you, Blue.

You are more than welcome.

...I miss that guy who died of a brain tumor...

Jeremy Allford from AGN.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: Lyme Jul 2, 2016, 09:42  Blue 

unaloony wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 00:59:
I'm looking forward to "Two Cups and One Blue" on the upside and tales about the wonders, benefits, and pitfalls of a vegan diet in the future, too. Lol. All kidding aside, mate, best wishes. Also, Isn't it contagious with saliva and body fluids? Better check your fam. and Gunner 2.

From the CDC:

There is no evidence that Lyme disease is transmitted from person-to-person. For example, a person cannot get infected from touching, kissing, or having sex with a person who has Lyme disease.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4176 Comments. 209 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo