Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 4391 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gravel Gameplay Trailer
3. Re: Gravel Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 10:41  Blue 

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 19:59:
Eh? Are we sure Square has anything to do with this? The Steam page says the game is developed and published by Milestone. No mention of Square anywhere. The official website is the same. I think Gamespot got their info wrong.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/439694/gravel-pc-download

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 10:40  Blue 

LaxerFL wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 00:09:
Without Beckham, we are hurtin' for certain!

Oh Blue, what are we going to do the rest of this year? I'm a Devils fan when it comes to the NHL, so hopefully they'll be good enough to keep me entertained this winter...

Yeah, it's a lost season for the G-men for sure. Makes me sad.

Funny, the Giants geared up as a contender this year, while the Jets set up to tank for the draft. Jets? Tied for first place. Giants? Tied for worst record in the NFL.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Getting Bonus Map
4. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Getting Bonus Map Oct 6, 2017, 09:58  Blue 

yonder wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 19:45:
If it comes out with the full game upon release, it's not really a bonus map, is it?

Where does it say that will happen?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 14:31  Blue 

MajorD wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 12:02:
sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 11:50:
Oh, and isn't is 'preceded' rather than 'proceeded'? Just asking.

Yes, I noticed that too.

You noticed nothing. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 20:25  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 18:06:
@Rigs. LOL. Glad you made it through in one piece.

Ditto!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 20:23  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 14:12:
afka Rossini wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 13:59:
Capella wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 12:49:
Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 11:55:
400 years from now, a giant nebula will move towards Federation space. It will be called C'ini.

I do wonder what happened to the Plutonium that was on board. Otherwise what a great space probe it was. Its discoveries will live on for eternity.

Did we just drop a 'dirty bomb' on Saturn?
It was only 72 pounds of plutonium-238 (in the form of plutonium dioxide). It's what powered the radioisotope thermal generator (RTG) that Matt Damon dug up in "The Martian."

Sequel confirmed!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 11:10  Blue 

MajorD wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 10:45:
So, the HOT coffee woke you up, and then eventually the caffeine. Wink

Yeah, but I don't recommend going off label like I did.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 12:29  Blue 

Kalthorn wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 12:19:
Blue wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:04:
Kalthorn wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:48:
What's your preferred brand or mix?

Behr - Padre Brown.

Is there any particular reason? Out of all the samples I tried, Behr was the one I liked the least. The way it looked and applied, it seemed almost like colored glue and dried as a film with little to no penetration of the wood. I'm pretty new to this though so I don't have much to compare to.

You are likely right, but, oddly, that's the reason we're going this way. We had a guy who applied a coat of this stuff a few years ago, and it wore poorly. But since we are just trying to tidy things up to sell, we're doing what will match if anything shows through. All the other work we've done to get ready to sell was pretty thorough, but the deck is in its golden years, but we're not going to replace or renovate it, so we aren't going to put too much effort into something that will just be replaced or renovated by the new owners. We just need it to stop looking like total ass.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 11:04  Blue 

Kalthorn wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:48:
I'm in the same situation regarding deck stain. Here in the Northwest we go from too hot to apply (at least according to the 90 degrees listed on the can) to pouring rain. After waiting for a month, it looks like I finally have a window this week.

What's your preferred brand or mix?

Behr - Padre Brown.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 16:40  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.

That's the only such reference I can find. Everywhere else seems to agree on 185 MPH.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-extremes-records

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 13:08  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:

The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 13:00  Blue 

The argument is that the tiers on that scale are supposed to represent how much damage is to be expected. Category 5 represents the level where all but the most deliberately storm-proof structures will be completely obliterated. Since you can't destroy something more than completely, naming something category 6 is a moot point in that regard. I guess a storm that could destroy reinforced concrete buildings wpi;d necessitate a category 6.

There's probably also a point to be made that it's hard to get people to evacuate as it is... anything that can make the threat seem less dire would probably only make that worse ("why do I need to leave, it's not even a category 6 yet!").

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2017, 11:39  Blue 

NKD wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 06:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 01:48:
NK is like a little child, it cries and threatens but even with nukes and ICBM's it's all hot air and posturing to gain better negotiation positions at the food table. The only difference to the "usual" situation is that Trump will not negotiate, but Trump isn't gonna be around forever...

It's why I laugh at anyone who thinks this will cause WW3... NK has been blowing hot air around for more than 40 years now...

The only way this causes WW3 is if someone doesn't get Chinese and Russian leaders onboard before we nuke all their military installations. I also don't worry about Trump in this instance because there's no one in the military hierarchy that's going to obey a World War starting order from that cheetoh.

So the solution to this is a tactical nuclear strike, and we'll be protected from escalation into nuclear war by cooperation from Russia, cooperation from China, and a military coup here in the U.S.?

I feel so much better now.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 12:54  Blue 

DarkV wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 11:21:
Blue,

I've said it for a while now....The Wilpon's are running nothing but a land scam that puts Lex Luthors land schemes to shame. As a Met's fan I can't stand them and prayed they'd sell the team. As for payroll...hope they enjoy the David Wright insurance money. I'm sure it will be reinvested Rolleyes

Yeah, from what I've heard, the commish likes the Wilpons, and doesn't care that they can't actually afford to run a big market team with no more BS Madoff money rolling in. This team had a brief moment of good management under Cashman in the 80s, but beyond that it's been 50 years of shitshow. This is the team that traded Tom Seaver for Steve Henderson, Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, and Dan Norman because they did not want to pay the best pitcher in baseball. This kind of thinking remains their legacy to this day.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 6, 2017, 09:57  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 22:19:
How is using shit made in China patriotic?

See jdreyer's post following yours for a hint.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 21:07  Blue 

BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:34:
A 9 month old puppy.

Smitten (smilies broken?)

Completely adorable!

I think a stray empty color tag in your post may be what broke the smiley.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 16:42  Blue 

BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:27:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ...

I was well into my dog ownership when it struck me that I did not know how to react if we encountered a dog attack. This bears some research, and I found some good advice online, but cannot find the same article again.

One tip is to use the leash to protect your dog by corralling the attacker, but that doesn't help if your dog is attached to it.

The bit I was able to use once to protect the Gunnar-man was to grab the other dog by the tail and use it to hammer toss him away. I won't say I recommend it, since I can't find anything to vouch for it. But as crazy as it sounds, not only did it create a lot of distance between the dogs (I tossed him a good six or eight feet), but it startled the attacker out of his aggression (I think he was not willing to find out the next crazy thing I would do to him). His owner had just stood dumbstruck during the whole attack, so he didn't even say boop to me about throwing his dog around.

Anyway, do some research and find a way to feel comfortable that everyone is protected... I won't confirm or deny the rumor that I've been known to carry a retractable self-defense baton on doggie walks, but I like the sound of the pepper spray better, as you can make more liberal use of something less likely to cause permanent injuries.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Sep 1, 2017, 18:33  Blue 

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 12:05:
Dude Indiana tried to legislate the value of Pi to 3.2 back in the 19th century.

How stupid is that? Everyone knows 3.14159 rounds to 3.1.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 17:16  Blue 

BobBob wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:08:
Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:41:
BobBob wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:18:
Actually, while I totally respect her foster rescue parent, I'm not a fan of the whole "treat reward system". Perhaps I'm in the wrong, but I think that kind of reward system creates a dependency on receiving an object, where I believe good behavior should be rewarded with good feedback and praise (which is free, plenty, and always available). I reserve the right to contradict myself in a month or two.

You reward and reinforce positive behavior with the treats. The alternative is punishing bad behavior, which is cruel, and doesn't generally bring the desired result anyway. It's bad luck to have dog who isn't food motivated, since it just makes things harder. Remember Pavlov's dog? The treats start as a reward, but your dog ends up rewired (I just coined that).

That makes perfect sense, especially with the rewired comment. What you're saying is that it develops a new behavioral pattern that becomes dominant over time, the treats are used as an initial reinforcement to get to that point. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting.

You've got it now.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 16:41  Blue 

BobBob wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:18:
Actually, while I totally respect her foster rescue parent, I'm not a fan of the whole "treat reward system". Perhaps I'm in the wrong, but I think that kind of reward system creates a dependency on receiving an object, where I believe good behavior should be rewarded with good feedback and praise (which is free, plenty, and always available). I reserve the right to contradict myself in a month or two.

You reward and reinforce positive behavior with the treats. The alternative is punishing bad behavior, which is cruel, and doesn't generally bring the desired result anyway. It's bad luck to have dog who isn't food motivated, since it just makes things harder. Remember Pavlov's dog? The treats start as a reward, but your dog ends up rewired (I just coined that).

The book question aside, I'd suggest puppy school. It's to help train both of you, and you are not likely to regret it. A good trainer should be able to help you figure out how to get your individual dog to respond to you even in a class environment.

As for desk questions... all the desk has going for it that a folding table is just the obvious: It's sturdier and more stable, it's height adjustable, the entire surface is a $100 mousepad, it offers nominal wire management, and it doesn't look like a folding table. Also, a folding table has no features that a board on two sawhorses doesn't offer.

And this is indeed a neater setup than usual for me, because I would normally have my desk cluttered with little toys and action figures, but these are all packed up, and wouldn't show well anyway. But the sparseness of it is appealing to me, and I may just confine those decorations to shelves or something after we move.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4391 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo