Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 4227 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
11. Re: Overwatch Trailer Mar 23, 2016, 08:01  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 15:23:
I'm surprised BH6 has a 90%. Reviewers weren't in love with it. I suppose it was more "it's good, not great" from most.

I think that's how Rotten Tomatoes' system can be deceptive. A 90 rating doesn't mean 90% of reviewers loved it, or that it has an aggregate 90 review score. It means 90% of reviews didn't *hate* it, as all it represents is the percentage of reviews at three stars out of five or above.

A movie with a 60% aggregate review score can be 100% fresh by this system, which might leave the impression it was the greatest movie ever with their formula camouflaging its mediocrity.

None of this relates to my feelings about BH6, but rather how I find the RT system flawed.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Tiny Rube Goldberg Machine Mar 21, 2016, 20:34  Blue 

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 21, 2016, 15:08:
Eh, was kind of neat, but I don't think it qualifies to be called that when they're manually intervening in the process multiple times.

It looked like all the interventions were intentionally added for "preciousness," highlighting how small everything is. I think it could have run fine by itself if they so chose.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 15:28  Blue 

Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:48:
nin wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 10:51:
Blue wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 10:42:
and have helped somewhat right the financial disaster the place had become over the past several years.

Ugh. Please don't let it come to that. If it were to come down to closing the site or losing your shirt, keep your shirt. We all love the site, but I don't think anyone wants you to have a financial burden. That's too far...

If you don't mind me asking, are the amazon links helping at all?

I'm totally down with the Patreon, but I have no idea what an amount would be (per person) that would help.

saddening. for some reason i thought blue was the one beating the odds all this time or something. now i feel like a jerk for coming here for 15 years.

One reason I don't often go into such matters is it seems difficult to do so without creating the wrong impression, but I guess that's to be expected. Not sure what about this would be saddening or make you regret your visiting here.

My point was simply that we're still trying to recover bad stretch. The way things have gone here over the years have varied widely between wonderful and terrible (you may recall we ran with no ads for several months at one point). It's actually better now, and that's why I'm trying to work with the existing provider, rather than ditch them because of issues with ads. The idea of a Patreon would be to allow those using ad blockers to support the site if they so choose. I have no idea what the economics of this would be either, but it probably doesn't take much to equal the revenue lost from one reader blocking ads.

And to answer the other question that got buried in there, the Amazon links certainly have helped.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 10:42  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 10:03:
Blue,
Any word on yesterdays "Google Chrome" browser warning when visiting Bluesnews?

I wanted to wait until I knew something more definitive, but I guess I'm not sure I will... all I know at the moment is that this was a limited incident, and something that should be done with (I say "should" because in honesty, I think the problem showed up once or twice after I already thought it was taken care of).

I am sorry for any problems the ads here ever cause, and I am aware that the auto-play videos are an issue for some, and progress on changing the way these work in particular has been very slow.

On the other hand, I have faith in the good intentions of our ad provider, and I am trying to get these issues worked out. Ads have once again become a more reliable source of income lately, and have helped somewhat right the financial disaster the place had become over the past several years.

I am aware that ad issues are driving some into the arms of ad blockers, and when malware enters the picture that is a sensible way to protect yourself. We never have worked out a subscription system here, so one thing that some have proposed that may be worthy of consideration would be to start a Patreon account to allow readers who are using adblockers a way to support the site if they want to.

I don't want that last part to distract from the point that I want to work to make sure the ads here remain safe and don't ruin your visit, but I did want to solicit feedback on the idea while we are on the topic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want
16. Re: CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want Mar 16, 2016, 10:02  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 02:03:
headkase wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 01:21:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 23:33:
Cryengine was a horrible fucking choice of engines for Star Citizen. By the game ships (IF it does) it will take 100 gigs, and take 5 mins to load.

Man, you know, I'm not dissing you or anything but in my youth I remember loading a game called "Impossible Mission" on my Commodore 64 from tape. Start the load, go have supper, and by the time you finished supper it might be done loading. Seriously. Today a five minute load time would be atrocious, back then it was a fact of life.

Impossible Mission: fucking awesome game. "No, no, NOOO!"

An absolute favorite of its generation for me.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2016, 09:57  Blue 

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 09:52:
Where are the cops when you need one?

Wow, what a fucking idiot! I'm a little surprised the cop was as laid back as he was. Feel bad for the cabbie as well...

I actually missed him at first myself too. Rolling back the vid and realizing he was there the whole time makes it more amazing (at first I thought he rolled up on it in progress).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More GeForce Driver Issues
4. Re: More GeForce Driver Issues Mar 15, 2016, 11:59  Blue 

MajorD wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 11:58:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 11:42:
Well they are called beta drivers for a reason

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The post title should be 'More GeForce BETA Driver Issues'.

It's like people complaining about pre-alpha/alpha game they purchased.

Except these were beta drivers that were issued as an emergency hotfix to address problems with the previous drivers, which were WHQL-certified.

The post title should be what it is, imo.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2016, 16:55  Blue 

GinRummy wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 11:23:
I know it's a bit archaic, but I'm pretty sure a quarter is Two Bits, not one, so the total is 8 bits per dollar, double what your parenthetical sum is above in the Brinks story.

Serves me right trying maths in the morning!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2016, 10:27  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 09:58:
Blue, ever see Badge 373? Robert Duvall film from 1973. So-so flick, but a great 70s NYC period piece. Man, I love those 70s films in NYC.

No I haven't, but I will have to. I feel the same way about 70s NYC films... I really can't get enough of them. And always bonus points for green and white squad cars.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: SW Battlefront on sale on Origin Mar 4, 2016, 19:29  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 19:08:
Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 17:49:
For 50% off. In case anyone's interested.
I sent Blue the new Humble Bundle Star Wars pack 2 link, hopefully he'll post it this evening.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/169569/on-sale

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2016, 19:37  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 19:12:
And yeah, hate. I fucking hate February. There's reasons it has the highest suicide rates of the year.

"In fact, studies dating back to the late 1800s find that suicides peak in the spring and are lowest in winter. One 1995 study published in the journal Social Science & Medicine examined monthly suicide rates in 28 countries and found that in 25 in the Northern Hemisphere, suicides were most common in May and ebbed in February."

Source

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2016, 15:44  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 12:25:
I hate Leap Years. Why would you put an extra day in the worst month of the year? Why not in a good month like July or October? It's all arbitrary anyway.

Giggle

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > New Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Rules
6. Re: New Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Rules Feb 26, 2016, 10:55  Blue 

MagrothJ wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:31:
I really thought this was already live? Anyhow, Zeratul should also be on that list.

At first I was also really surprised that they included Morales and not Zeratul on the list, but I think it's about lane presence with those two. Zeratul can still solo a lane, while if a Morales was forced to do that due to a wacky team comp it wouldn't go so well.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2016, 12:51  Blue 

Nucas wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 12:24:
ahh you guys have that crazy weather last night also blue? i'm on the coast and we had tornado warnings and big wind gusts all day. some of the roads close to the beach were closed for flooding.

Well nothing too terrible, but we did have heavy rain mixed with sleet and high winds. It wasn't that dangerous to be outside, it was just someplace you sure didn't want to be.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2016, 10:59  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:27:
As long as the neighbors are not Gunnar haters.

They're pretty chill, but I'm worried he's gonna leave them presents, which is not so neighborly.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2016, 20:07  Blue 

Redwood wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 17:32
test is 20! We're so old. I think it was just the month before that I upgraded to a Pentium 166MHz, for an obscene amount of money. Just in time for Qtest though! [/quote:

I still remember marveling at those low-poly models. The future had arrived.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 24, 2016, 16:16  Blue 

MindStalker3 wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 14:17:
nin wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 13:47:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 13:36:
1:27 and on, that's why the robots will murder us in our sleep.

Yeah, I can't help but think these robot abuse videos are going to haunt us once they take over...

I don't see why, these robots will be as similar to later robots are we are to single celled organism. I don't get too upset when you abuse amoeba.

Nah, I'm with nin... bearded hockey stick guy has already landed himself on a list.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2016, 16:14  Blue 

Drej wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 10:43:
First, disclaimer, I'm an eye doctor. If you can make things better by leaning in or moving your monitors forward, it is most likely the prescription causing the issue. Yellow tinted glasses are outdated. The new blue blocking anti-reflective coatings do the same thing without color changes. In theory it is supposed to block a certain spectrum of blue light that will decrease fatigue and strain. There is some support that the same blue light will mess with your circadian rhythm and may cause lipofusion (which is the precursor to macular degeneration). Many studies have supported that but I don't know if it widely accepted in the field yet. I haven't had a lot of reports from my patients if they feel like the blue blocking coating really decreases strain or not. So, I don't have a lot of anecdotal evidence but the research supports it.

Computer glasses work fantastic. I don't know your age, your prescription or what kind of glasses you wear now, but a single vision pair of glasses set for the computer distance will greatly help relieve strain and fatigue. And if you don't have to lean in, back, or lift your head into a bifocal, it should help neck pain. I hand out a ton of computer glasses. When you go to your eye doctor, bring the measurement from your eye to your computer screen in inches. That will help him/her get the correct focal distance and power in the glasses. Hope that helps.

It does help. You confirm what I knew, which is that my prescription needs updating; what I suspected, which is that computer glasses may help; and what I didn't know, which is the yellow tint thing is out of date.

Thanks!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2016, 19:16  Blue 

Hmmm what kind of monitor stand are you using? I generally don't splurge on ergonomic stuff too much but I wouldn't use anything other than ergotron monitor arms.

None, which is why I had to adjust my chair. The monitors I'm using don't have VESA mounts.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

General Discussion > Blue's News Not Diplaying Properly - Safari
2. Re: Blue's News Not Diplaying Properly - Safari Feb 19, 2016, 09:28  Blue 

slippryJ71 wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 09:11:
Hi, I've been a reader for years but recently the site is not displaying properly on my Safari web browser. It displays well with Firefox but Safari is my main browser.

http://postimg.org/image/hw3lypwn9/

As I said in my reply to your email, it looks like you may be able to get the style sheet to reload by force clearing your browser's cache.

According to Google: "In Safari, hold the Option key and press the Reload button in the toolbar."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4227 Comments. 212 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo