Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Jan 1, 1999, 12:34
Total Comments 4531 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 08:37  Blue 

Hoop wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 23:23:
Star Wars dildos
The Jaba near the butt.
The Light labia.
The Princess layer

Hand Solo
Luke Thighwalker
Darth Invader

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 00:41  Blue 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 23:09:
Some of them are a bit of a stretch.. you're telling me Django wasn't arguably Tarantino's best film? That Scarface wasn't amazing for the time period?

As I said, I surprised myself by how much of the list I agreed with, so I'll offer my take on yours.

For me, Django is memorable for Christoph Waltz's magnetism, but I mostly didn't like it. It's not as bad a Hateful Eight, but it's probably second-to-worst for me (you know, except for Quentin's brilliant acting turn as Australian Frankenstein). Unarguably Pulp Fiction was my favorite of his. This pales by comparison.

And I *hate* Scarface. There, I said it. It's hard for me to go through more than five minutes of an DePalma film and not be annoyed, and this is no different. A bunch of Italians playing Cubans and the first hint of Pacino's eventual descent into his over-the-top phase? No thanks.

Then there's Full Metal Jacket! How the hell can you not like the second half of FMJ!?! Instantly disqualifies this whole list. :o

There are parts of the second half that were memorable, like Animal Mother (and the hooker quotes in the post after yours), but the in-country parts felt off to me, and it being so distinctly separated from the gripping first part helped emphasize the disjointed feel. Perhaps that's what Kubrick was shooting for, but it makes me feel like someone needed to mold all the cool things that happened in the movie into more of a story. Also, the Battle of Hue was important, but showing urban warfare in Vietnam seems odd (and feels like a cop-out, knowing Kubrick would never travel to the jungle to shoot on location).

Haven't seen Get Out.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 21:17  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 19:01:
Cool, I just used the address to make it my default Amazon link, thanks!

No need... we were booted from Amazon's affiliate program for the way the links were presented. If we get re-accepted, the way we are compensated won't change, but the links will have to be their normal programmatic ads, and not the static links we presented before.

That said, thank you all for the support you offered through the referral links, it's greatly appreciated. Hopefully they will re-accept us and we can continue to use the program under their terms. But if we do, it will be with a new affiliate code, the old one is now dead as disco. I probably shouldn't address too directly so much going forward, as making oblique references to compensation from the program is the type of thing that gets one booted... guess it's a little like fight club.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 20:25  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:48:
Ah, I see. I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks ago where it would update, supposedly, and that was it. It wouldn't log in or start proper, it would just keep trying to update (and seemingly fail). My solution was to reinstall STEAM under safe mode. Later on, where I got hit again, I just ran the update under safe mode and logged in also under safe mode and there after I haven't had a problem. Try doing it in safe mode and see if it helps any.

Worked like a charm. Thanks very much.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:00  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 18:41:
Blue, are you having trouble staying online tonight or is STEAM giving you a hard time? I've seen the notification 'Blue is online' about twelve times in the last two hours. Not complaining, just concerned...and curious.

EDIT: Make that fourteen times now.

=-Rigs-=

I'm battling Steam right now. I noticed a client update notification, which is for an October 11th patch. I tell it to install, and it retarts, but still says the same update is available.

I can still play games, which is different from all the posts I've found about client update problems. I've tried restarting my computer, and I've tried deleting the download cache, but the problem persists. Hence all the restarts.

This was my way of seeing how deficient Steam's support section seems to be. There's a Steam Client area, that has no option to cover my problem, and no way to research a problem they don't list.

In desperation I've turned to the Steam Support forums. We'll see what happens.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:10  Blue 

El Pit wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 11:25:
WOW! Neil Young has released his complete works FOR FREE (until some time next year) on the internet. Just WOW! I own a lot of his albums but will definitely go and see if there is some stuff in his career that I have missed up to now.

http://www.neilyoungarchives.com

And no Pono required!!!!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 14:22  Blue 

Nucas wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 12:44:
i was such a latecomer to pc gaming (i mean compared to the usual blues demo), i've never heard the name redwood before; what site did he run?
in any event, a happy birthday to you mate. games at large owe a lot to the culture shapers like him and you too, blue.

Sadly some editor on Wikipedia long ago purged info on sites like this and Red's. Here's word from
the Quake Wiki:

Redwood's Quake Page is widely regarded as the first of the 'daily update' Quake sites, originating in early 1996. It's lead webmaster, Sean Martin, was a beta tester for the original Quake. Today, this website offers news multiple times daily at it's new home at Stomped.Com, occasionally focusing on computer hardware issues for the more technically oriented, as they relate to Quake.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

57. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 20:06  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 18:40:
I put Rodgers and Favre above Starr.

The formatting was messed up, but that was you, right? Anyway, whoever said it, I still disagree. Rodgers is probably the best *passer* I've ever seen, but here's a little from Wikipedia about Bart Starr, the only QB in the playoff era to three-peat, who played during a time when QBs called their own plays and the passing game was impeded by the rights of defensive backs to mug receivers all over the field:

Starr was the only quarterback in history to lead a team to five league championships (1961–62, 1965–67), before Tom Brady tied the record during the 2016 season. Starr led his team to victories in two Super Bowls: I and II. As the Packers' head coach, he was less successful, compiling a 52–76–3 (.408) record from 1975 through 1983.

Starr was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[1]

Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8)[2] of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[3] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[3]

IMO, that final paragraph should be enough to win this debate.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

54. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:54  Blue 

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:32:
Rodgers is arguably the best QB of all time.

Ooooh errrr missus.

I mean, come on. It's not as if Tom Brady is not even playing anymore. That said, Aaron Rodgers is definitely better than Eli Manning. I think Aaron Rodgers is probably better than Peyton Manning.

Rodgers isn't even the best QB in the history of the Packers. That would be Bart Starr.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 23:02  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:32:
Oh please, you're delusional. He's consistently had better talent around him than most QBs have. And as the article states when you adjust for those stats you see how woefully inadequate a QB he really is. Feel free to maintain that fantasy however.

My main point has been that he won two Super Bowl MVP trophies, and that he beat a pantheon of NFL elite QBs in the playoffs to do so: Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady (again).

In spite of those objective facts, you are subjectively maintaining that Eli is "woefully inadequate," and that the 9-7 Giants (with a -6 point differential for the season) beat the 15-1 Packers (with their +201 point differential) in Lambeau in the 2011 playoffs because Eli had better talent around him than Rodgers.

And you say that I'm the delusional one maintaining a fantasy?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 22:25  Blue 

DarkV wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 21:09:
Blue, as a lifelong Giants fan i'm as pissed as you. I find it to be a total lack of class the way management/ownership handled this. Reminds me how Phil Simms was treated on the way out. I could understand if Eli was the main problem...he wasn't. I expect crap like this from the Mets or the Knicks..not the Giants.

I agree, this has Knicks or Mets (Tom Seaver anyone?) written all over it. And I agree it reminds me of the Simms situation too (though Phil had off-season shoulder surgery). Phil stayed classy and chose to retire, and I wouldn't be completely shocked if Eli retired now too. But if he comes to town as a Jaguar or something, I'll buy a ticket and freeze my ass off to go out and cheer for him. At least as long as he's not in the NFC East... or playing for the 49ers.

WarPig wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:20:
If you ask me they're simply tanking and hoping for the highest draft pick they can get.

It took a while for that to strike me, but it has some merit. Especially since it came from Mara, who doesn't have to worry about winning or losing to protect his "job."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 20:21  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 18:37:
I would say there's, at best, a 20% chance he's on the team next year. Reese and McAdoo are gone, but I can't imagine it's worthwhile for Eli to stay or the Giants to keep him.

I agree with your odds. The wild card is them getting rid of Reese and McAdoo... if the team hires a new coach and GM then it's possible they'll want to keep him around. Even possible after they score a top five pick at QB in the draft, they could put Eli in the position they put Kurt Warner in all those years ago of holding down the fort and offering mentorship to the rookie.

But yeah, it's a real long shot.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Nov 30, 2017, 19:38  Blue 

Darks wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 10:54:
Blues, I noticed you listed Fallout 4 and Skyrim in the consolization section having patches. but the PC side also had these same patches. You might want to list those here too.

Last patches for those games I see are from three weeks ago. What am I missing?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 18:32  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:32:
Blue wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 12:35:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:47:
Blue, you've always overrated Eli. I don't have a problem with the guy, I don't care about him one way or the other, but I've never rated him as more than a capable QB.

I'm surprised a Packers fan doesn't have more esteem for someone who beat both Favre and Rodgers in the playoffs, both times on the road in Lambeau. This "decent, possibly good" QB has as many rings as both of those future HOFers earned put together with better teams around them. I stand by the idea that he's earned a lot more respect than many are willing to give him.

You're talking about teams, I'm talking about QBs. If you honestly think you can compare Eli to Brett or Aaron I'll take some of whatever drugs you're on because they must be good. Farve is without question one of the best QBs of all time. Rodgers is arguably the best QB of all time. The only thing that stopped the Packers from being an unstoppable dynasty was the team that surrounded those QBs. Eli's career is on the downswing and Rodgers just keep getting better. Without his injury they would have won it all this year.

Read 'em and weep.
Farve vs. Manning Comparison

And the Wapo just posted this gem a few hours ago. Oh that's gotta' hurt!
Eli Manning’s career isn’t worthy of the football Hall of Fame

You make my point in your response because you missed it. The Packers were the favorites (the better team) playing each time *at home* and Eli beat the two guys who you are saying are so much better than him. The team that beat Rodgers was 9-7 and gave up more points than it scored. Read it and weep.

Eli is now suffering with a distinct lack of talent around him, which is how you justify your delusions about just missing a Green Bay dynasty (we were just 52 studs shy of greatness!). Either it works as an excuse for Eli just like it does for Rodgers and Favre, or you are just making shit up.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 17:04  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 16:05:
And he'll probably get traded away with Eli, and next season will be Geno with some top 5 pick rookie behind him, moments away from passing him in the depth chart.

Eli has two years left on a contract with a no-trade clause. I'd put it at about 50/50 that he gets released as a thank you for his service that allows him to find his own landing spot.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 13:35  Blue 

yonder wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:49:
Impressive conflation going on here.

I'm willing to be shown what I got wrong here, but you don't say what it is. I know a lot of what he did was just buying items, but I found the part that involved gambling on CS:GO skins along with his admission to being a gambling addict to be relevant to the topic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 12:35  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:47:
Blue, you've always overrated Eli. I don't have a problem with the guy, I don't care about him one way or the other, but I've never rated him as more than a capable QB.

I'm surprised a Packers fan doesn't have more esteem for someone who beat both Favre and Rodgers in the playoffs, both times on the road in Lambeau. This "decent, possibly good" QB has as many rings as both of those future HOFers earned put together with better teams around them. I stand by the idea that he's earned a lot more respect than many are willing to give him.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 15:09  Blue 

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 13:46:
MajorD wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 13:00:
This and Gladiator are probably my favorite from Russell Crow movies.
He has made a couple of good role choices over the years. In addition to those two:

Body of Lies
A Beautiful Mind
L.A. Confidential
Les Misérables

L.A. Confidential is on my shortlist for favorite movies of all time.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 08:33  Blue 

Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 21:32:
I hope Blue got my e-card.

I did, thank you. I sent a reply, but from the sound of it, you didn't receive that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 17:38  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 14:45:
I've never been a fan of ham. Cured cow on the other hand is dandy.

I know what comes to mind, but this was amazing. It was a Mario Batali recipe, and it was the best ham I've ever had.

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/fresh-ham-italian-style/

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4531 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo