Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Jan 1, 1999, 12:34
Total Comments 4733 (Master)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:49  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:39:
Out of curiosity, how long does everyone here tend to keep their PC?

In the early 00s I was on a 2-3 year cycle.
But now? My late 00s PC lasted 5 years, its replacement lasted 6 years, and the new one has been running 4 years.I don't really do upgrades, though the last one got more RAM and a new SSD, both upgrades now in my current rig.

The last one was really on its last legs, though. I decided it was time when I was playing Far Cry 4 and watched some YouTube videos on the game, only to realize how much I was missing visually. It was an entirely different game. I'm not feeling that with my current one. I'm also probably playing less recent, and fewer demanding, games. I'm wagering Cyberpunk makes me really want a new PC.

In the 90s I had a couple of upgrade cycles that were under a year. But I built this baby
back in September 2013. I've upgraded the graphics card since then and she is still humming along after more than six years. And that is after using a previous generation CPU at the time!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 10:38  Blue 

Nimh wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 07:41:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 22:04:
Of course they are. Even the cookie pop-up on this site opts you in to tracking by default.

Speaking of which.. last week someone here mentioned something about a Commodore 64 in a comment. My proceeding visit to Youtube had a next up video on the Commodore 64. Seems like they're scraping comments now, or at least it's the first time I've run into it here.

Anyone else notice this?

I do not think there is any reason to think this is anything but a coincidence. There are a lot of trackers on the internet that will try and market to you based on links you click. But suggesting a video based on words in a comment you read makes no sense.

As the old saying goes, correlation does not equal causation.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > GFWL Caused GTA4 Steam Delisting

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 08:47  Blue 

Optimaximal wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 04:42:
Microsoft couldn't be arsed to indefinitely support a tiny, likely hands-off, piece of service infrastructure, so get fucked!
Indefinitely? Who would do that? They gave enough notice about GfW's demise and ran the servers behind the scenes for 5-6 years. Everyone else removed it from their games - this is on Rockstar!
This does not appear to be about losing GFWL to authenticate existing copies of the game. It seems to be about generating keys to sell further copies.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Into the Black

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2020, 12:53  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 12:05:
Rock, yes. 70s prog, no.
While much of what I listen to, from Cult of Luna to Mastodon, may be influenced by it, 70s prog is one of the few areas of rock I have zero interest. Too much trippy jamming. Too... nerdy.
I must confess to feeling much the same way. With one exception: I love Jethro Tull.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2020, 16:53  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 14:56:
I've never bought into that nicotine is more addictive than smack or coke BS. Knowing people that were heroin addicts and did a lot of coke I'd say money and the difficulty of acquiring those things is the only reason that there are more smokers than drug addicts. Coke can be a problem for addictive personality types and heroin is just plain fucking evil but smoking is just dumb.

Don Imus was a terrible drug addict back when we were both at VH-1. Years later after he cleaned up I once heard him say on the radio that cigarettes were far harder for him to give up than coke or alcohol.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 18:51  Blue 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 15:52:
Ant wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 00:05:
Blue, you can walk this old ant.

Thanks for all your many years of links!

Hear, hear!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 11:31  Blue 

Prez wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:28:
That would be incredibly fast turnaround from announcement to release by normal Blizzard standards. I'm skeptical.

On the other hand, this "sequel" seems to be in a similar vein to Left 4 Dead 2.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Steam Game Release Pace Slowed in 2019

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 09:08  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 02:14:
Hoop wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 21:54:
They call this a change of pace, as they note the pace of new releases increased "rapidly"
We should feel relieved Wanking Simulator wasn't rubbed out.

Did that come out the way you wanted it to come out?

I'm pretty sure it did in his case. I on the other hand, somehow managed to post this story without proofreading it, and it originally looked like it was machine translated from three different languages. Apologies for that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 08:47  Blue 

Ant wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 00:05:
Blue, you can walk this old ant.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Follow-up

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 09:13  Blue 

NasWulf wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 05:46:
roflol ... do you know how moronic you sound when anyone tries that argument? like the internet was made 5 year ago, really? you make this shit too easy

There's a lot of friction here to start with. If you are going to degenerate into name calling (and borderline incoherence) I'm going to have to step in.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2020, 14:08  Blue 

Steve2001 wrote on Jan 5, 2020, 13:43:
[As a PC player its just irritating to see all the false "facts" and negative spins towards Star Citizen.

So you can understand my irritation of your use of false "facts" to attack my integrity.

Im not stupid, the Star Citizen community is large and many sites use it for their benefit.

No need to take that out on my reporting.

Again, CIG NEVER said they hadnt switched engines,
"Crytek makes much of the fact that the code is the same, but that is only because Crytek cashed out on the code by selling it to Amazon, making CIG’s license from Amazon possible."

That is quoted from the legal document. As has been pointed out in this thread, I don't cook it, I just serve it. If CIG makes a post refuting this I will quote that too, and don't expect Crytek fans coming here to accuse me of bias.

I have been a daily reader since the Quake days but never felt the need to post anything until now. If you want to ban me fine, i can go back to RD mode :)

That's fine, and it's appreciated. But if you've been here that long you should know already that I pride myself on being a straight shooter, and should understand why I bristle at your implications.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2020, 13:16  Blue 

Steve2001 wrote on Jan 5, 2020, 09:29:
Bluesnews mentions dkt 74 (CIGs reply) and the quote in the same sentence.
"...CIG’s Reply in support of Motion for Bond, Dkt. 74, at 8 (“Crytek makes much of the fact that the code is the same . . .”). " this is the document i linked to.
But you are right that the link Bluesnews provides is for dkt 92 which is Cryteks response. And in that they fail to quote the whole sentence in a way that is misleading to the public. And this newspost is evidence that it works.

This news post is evidence that this legal motion was filed, and as you now admit, was accurately quoted. I didn't editorialize... there are many other outlets who took this as a chance to suggest that Squadron 42 may be delayed past its latest promised delivery date.

A lot of readers here urge me to just ban new accounts that register just to argumentatively push a pro-CIG viewpoint, which I don't do. But making things up to imply I am being unfair certainly tempts me to consider it.

Defend your own take on this as you wish, but if you, as you put it, "let the truth come in the way of a good story," you're not helping your cause.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

40. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2020, 22:46  Blue 

theglaze wrote on Jan 4, 2020, 19:24:
I just wish posts that I make with quotes (of people who later get removed) don't also get removed. Makes me look like a bad guy in this thread.

I wish this was the case too. We've discussed it, but it just isn't practical to implement without a ground-up rewrite of the forums.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2020, 18:33  Blue 

And now it's an xkcd!

https://xkcd.com/2249/

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2020, 18:26  Blue 

Seriously Cutter, I've had enough serial misogyny from you to last two lifetimes.  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > etc.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2020, 14:28  Blue 

Dave_Genesi wrote on Jan 2, 2020, 12:40:
Paywall to read.

Weird, it wasn't paywalled when I posted it, even though that seems to be the business model of the Financial Times. Sorry about that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > SuperData 2019 Year in Review

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2020, 11:07  Blue 

Can agreeing to disagree on this vitally important issue enter into it at any time?  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > SuperData 2019 Year in Review

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2020, 14:34  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2020, 13:20:
I didn't say their data is crap. I said it isn't gospel, because they're worse than IRI and Nielsen, and you shouldn't use panel data to make big, sweeping statements of surity. They don't have access to actual sales data, so they're using panels and algorithms. That's not 100% accurate. It's often not even 75% accurate.

How would they be worse than Nielsen if they're a Nielsen company?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > New Year's Tech Bits

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2020, 10:11  Blue 

Earlyworm wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 17:27:
It seems anything with the words "Windows 10 Update" gets posted a link here, no matter how stupid the article. Pretty much all the articles posted about this subject here in the last year have been extremely misleading clickbaits.

That's probably fair. I only have Win10 on my laptop, so I rarely interact with it, so I admit to doing a poor job of vetting such links.

Apologies. I will try to do better.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2020, 09:54  Blue 

Orogogus wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 15:28:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 13:37:
Oh yeah the 97% hoax. Sorry Blue, that was debunked many years ago. It was a completely fixed poll where they actually filtered out critics from the start. Not even Pro-AGW scientists use that anymore nowadays, because they accept that it was not a real and proper done survey.

Seems false. A Google search for 97% climate change suggests that it's a generally accepted consensus. Researchgate.net and Google Scholar show that the Cook article is still being cited and referenced in Dec. 2019. It's not accepted on sites dedicated to climate change denialism, but you'd expect that.

Do you have a links from pro-AGW scientists disavowing Cook et al (2013)?

It's totally false. That Forbes article is an opinion piece, not a news story. The Forbes website has become a free-form blog, rather than an actual news outlet.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4733 Comments. 237 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >