Total Posts
5179 (Guru)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

5179 Comments. 259 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    259  ] Older

Re: OotB: Dolly Day
Jan 20, 2022, 17:31
Re: OotB: Dolly Day Jan 20, 2022, 17:31
Jan 20, 2022, 17:31

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 20, 2022, 16:14:
Blue wrote on Jan 20, 2022, 14:26:
Okay, you guys sucked me in. I got a goose egg on my first ever first word.

Wordle 215 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Muhahaha
gg considering zilch on your first guess
I actually still could've gotten it in three. But of course a whiff can still be quite informative.(Spoiler below)
I missed on "aegis," which I thought was a pretty good starter word for a newbie.
I went for the rest of the common vowels on my second word with "touch."
So I knew there was probably another "o" in the fourth position, and the third or fifth letter was "t."
So I figured it was either motor or robot and I missed the coin-toss.
Whatever
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jan 20, 2022, 14:26
Re: OotB: Dolly Day Jan 20, 2022, 14:26
Jan 20, 2022, 14:26

Okay, you guys sucked me in. I got a goose egg on my first ever first word.

Wordle 215 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Jan 19, 2022, 14:28
Re: OotB: Dolly Day Jan 19, 2022, 14:28
Jan 19, 2022, 14:28

Jivaro wrote on Jan 19, 2022, 14:05:
I think it's funny how if you live long enough and you are decent to people as a celebrity....America will worship you like a god. It's so rare, we find it amazing.
I agree with your point in general. But I'd argue that Dolly has gone a bit beyond just being "decent to people" to earn her esteem.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: Scientists Say the Universe Itself May Be “Pixelated.”
Jan 18, 2022, 15:32
Re: Scientists Say the Universe Itself May Be “Pixelated.” Jan 18, 2022, 15:32
Jan 18, 2022, 15:32

Enahs wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 12:14:
Blue wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:40:
No can do. There's an HOA rule against new ones, though if you have one from before the rule you are grandfathered in.

Upgrade to a heat pump. They are super efficient now and you get both heating and cooling from one system. Modern cold weather ones can still extract heat from -12F conditions outside more efficiently than other systems. And they also have backup electric coils for fallback or needing rapid heating.
That's the option that most appeals to me. I need to dig into it to figure out how doable this is considering the land we own behind our unit extends about 6-8 feet and is almost entirely patio. There's room out there for a central air unit, but most heat pump diagrams look to me like they take some land. Apparently they also can make good use of a pond, and we have one of those, but unfortunately it's communal.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: Scientists Say the Universe Itself May Be “Pixelated.”
Jan 18, 2022, 11:40
Re: Scientists Say the Universe Itself May Be “Pixelated.” Jan 18, 2022, 11:40
Jan 18, 2022, 11:40

Simon Says wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:31:
It's called Quantization. And I thought we knew that for almost a century now ( ever since we figured out quantum mechanics of which quantization is a tenet ).

Also... since nothing can be shorter than a Planck length, that was pretty much a given.

Wood pellet stoves are notoriously unreliable.

Want a wood stove? Get an old school one, with minimal maintenance it'll last you a lifetime and then some.
No can do. There's an HOA rule against new ones, though if you have one from before the rule you are grandfathered in.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Giant Baby Steps
Jan 12, 2022, 16:03
Re: OotB: Giant Baby Steps Jan 12, 2022, 16:03
Jan 12, 2022, 16:03

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 14:47:
How much did Joe's poor performance factor into the Giant's decision to wait until the end of the seasons to fire him? Knowing that he'd continue to lose games could only improve the Giant's standing in the draft.
The Giants firing Ben McAdoo midseason was an anomaly. It's the kind of thing they generally avoid at all costs.

But more to the point, I think the owners were actually looking for every excuse to give Judge a third season just to break the cycle. Or at worst, hire a new GM and leave the decision up to him. But the team's worsening performance, playcalling like the sneak I discuss below, and Judge's jackassery at the podium increased the pressure to fire him. Even then, they brought him in for multiple interviews over a couple of days before pulling the trigger. I wouldn't be shocked if he sealed his own fate during those talks.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 12:35:
While Joe Judge didn't help the situation it wasn't just this season which has turned the Giants into a laughing stock. Three consecutive coaches fired after two seasons or less. Saw a tidbit on one of the sports shows, I didn't write it down or anything, but I believe they said if you include the interim coaches put in place after others left, the Giants have had nine head coaches in six years. NINE. Joe gets partial credit, not the whole enchilada.
That's not correct. Counting one interim coach, the Giants have had four coaches in six years. You are correct that it's now three consecutive head coaches who didn't make it into a third season (in this case not counting one interim coach). But even with that stretch, to count off the last nine Giants coaches you are going back 40 years.

The Giants have been a sorry team for a decade now, but teams go through rough stretches. That does not make them laughingstocks. It's a zero-sum game and there are winners and losers. Running a QB sneak on third and nine in the second quarter with your four win team makes you a laughingstock. Amid games where playoff positions were decided, that play in a game between two non-contenders was among the most talked about of the weekend.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Resolved
Jan 12, 2022, 14:15
Resolved Jan 12, 2022, 14:15
Jan 12, 2022, 14:15

I should just close this out by noting that the offending ad was removed after the weekend. Our ad provider was quite apologetic, because we'd specifically rejected this ad unit already (not due to its size or placement, but rather because it re-expanded periodically after shrinking and it reloaded periodically even after being dismissed). Presumably the CPU load some of you reported was a separate issue entirely.

They've promised to take better care in the future, especially during weekends when there's no one around to put out fires.

Sorry for the problem, and thanks for your patience.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Seasonal
Jan 11, 2022, 09:48
Re: OotB: Seasonal Jan 11, 2022, 09:48
Jan 11, 2022, 09:48

WarPig wrote on Jan 10, 2022, 20:31:
Blue, now that Gettleman has "resigned", I just can't imagine the Giants keep Judge. Either way, I was wondering where you stand on Daniel Jones. I haven't watched that much of him, but seeing that he's still on his rookie deal (I think anyway) and he's not that expensive, I wonder if he's shown just enough promise for you to think he still has a chance to work out.
I feel like they are backing away from the keep Judge position. The wording about Gettleman's "resignation" gave the impression that they are pushing off firing Judge or not onto the new GM, which just seems like a way of doing it indirectly.

As for Jones, he's shown flashes of positive brilliance. He throws a surprisingly good deep ball and when the first read is open he can be decisive. He's also quite mobile. But his pocket sense is almost non-existent, so he's bad at feeling the rush, and terrible at protecting the ball. This leads to needless sacks and fumbles. He can be indecisive and hold the ball too long, which, again, leads to needless sacks and fumbles. He's also injury prone, which doesn't go well with how sometimes running the ball on RPOs is his best play. I'd leave it up to the new GM (and hopefully coach) to decide. But I personally think he's probably not the franchise QB. The trouble is he's shown enough flashes that it's possible he'll flourish elsewhere and make the decision to move on from him look like a mistake. They probably won't pick up his fifth year option, but the top of the draft is not loaded with QB talent, which probably affects the decision on next year.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Jan 10, 2022, 15:49
Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 10, 2022, 15:49
Jan 10, 2022, 15:49

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 10, 2022, 12:27:
The first thing I do with random USB thumb drives, whether found on the side of the road or in my mailbox, is stick them into my computer.
You qualify to run Q branch at MI6.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Seasonal
Jan 10, 2022, 12:16
Re: OotB: Seasonal Jan 10, 2022, 12:16
Jan 10, 2022, 12:16

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 10, 2022, 11:51:
Succession snagged a lot of globes, deservedly so.
It's crazy how good that show is. Buying into the odd concept of competitive acting for a moment: It's a sign of how strong Jeremy Strong is that he won for lead actor going against someone from the same show (Brian Cox no less!). Conventional logic says they split some of the vote. Sarah Snook deserved her win too. It's a little surprising it was a supporting win, since she's the female lead, but the ensemble cast certainly cuts into her screen time.

Can't wait for Season 4.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Icy You
Jan 10, 2022, 08:36
Re: OotB: Icy You Jan 10, 2022, 08:36
Jan 10, 2022, 08:36

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 18:22:
Hey Blue, as a native New Yorker will you root for the Jets or Bills if you can't for the Giants?

Actually I'm curious if other sports fans here will do that for their state - where they have two or more teams - as a fallback team. So long as your state wins, so to speak, because you sure don't want XYZ state to win.
I don't think I actually root for other teams. There are some I like better than others (dislike less?). The Bills qualify as likeable for me, but the Jets don't.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Epihpany!
Jan 9, 2022, 09:47
Re: OotB: Epihpany! Jan 9, 2022, 09:47
Jan 9, 2022, 09:47

Greentiger wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 08:34:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@bluesnews.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2 Server at www.bluesnews.com Port 443
Something I know from posting stories through Blammo is that the system throws that error if it encounters characters it doesn't know how to digest, particularly since the UTF-8 updates. Were you trying to paste text from elsewhere? Or when you say "quote" do you mean the error comes when you use the forum quote button below?

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2022, 10:02.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Getting Plowed
Jan 8, 2022, 11:11
Re: OotB: Getting Plowed Jan 8, 2022, 11:11
Jan 8, 2022, 11:11

LordSteev wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 09:06:
Didn't know where else to put this...extremely disappointed by the Genshin Impact add takeover of this site. One of the things I've always loved about Blues News is not having to deal with adds on the bottom of the screen. This one reopens itself even after you close it, and expands to take up almost half my screen. Maybe I need a better add blocker, but this is the first time ever that I've been annoyed coming to this site.
I told our ad provider about the way those ads reappear at the bottom of the screen and re-expand after being closed, but were told they are supposed to work that way. We said we were not going to run them in that case, but they are now appearing, so clearly something has gone wrong.

I have informed them and demanded the ads be removed. Unfortunately, it's the weekend, and since they are in the UK, it's already pretty late in the day. So it may not be cleared up until after the weekend.

My apologies.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: Ken Levine's Next Game in "Development Hell" - Report
Jan 4, 2022, 09:38
Re: Ken Levine's Next Game in "Development Hell" - Report Jan 4, 2022, 09:38
Jan 4, 2022, 09:38

Kxmode wrote on Jan 4, 2022, 03:30:
If five years is considered "development hell," what would Star Citizen be?
To be clear, it's more like eight years. The game was due five years ago.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: This Hawk Looks Right At His Rescuer As He Frees Him
Jan 3, 2022, 14:23
Re: This Hawk Looks Right At His Rescuer As He Frees Him Jan 3, 2022, 14:23
Jan 3, 2022, 14:23

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2022, 14:02:
That is one unlucky and very lucky bird.
I was impressed by how smart it was, which is noted in the title. It gave just one half-hearted peck before it repressed its instinctive urge to defend itself, allowing the rescuer to be awesome.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Raring and Ready - Deep Machine Learning Body Study
Jan 3, 2022, 08:59
Re: OotB: Raring and Ready - Deep Machine Learning Body Study Jan 3, 2022, 08:59
Jan 3, 2022, 08:59

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 3, 2022, 06:25:
So if Abraham Lincoln had been only 4'5" tall, he would have been a short extreamly homely short person no one would take seriously and highly unlikely to get elected to any office.
Stephen Douglas, who lost the 1860 election, was a full foot shorter than Lincoln.

Just sayin'...
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Auld Lang Syne
Jan 1, 2022, 13:15
Re: OotB: Auld Lang Syne Jan 1, 2022, 13:15
Jan 1, 2022, 13:15

sauron wrote on Jan 1, 2022, 10:31:
Agreed, The Thin Man (by Dashiell Hammett) is pretty good, and Basil Rathbone was always my favorite Sherlock. But I'd put Raymond Chandler's Marlowe above them all. I'm sure everyone here has seen The Big Sleep (Bogart and Bacall), but if not, give yourself a New Year movie treat!
I agree. The Big Sleep is a good movie, and captures a lot of the book. But I must add that nothing lives up to Chandler's writing. Probably mostly due to the way Marlowe was such a strong silent type externally, but he also had an inner dialogue that just wouldn't shut up. It makes it tough to film. I appreciate the attempt to overcome this in the film version of Lady in the Lake. They shot it first-person from Marlowe's perspective. It doesn't turn out that great, and it's not nearly as good as The Big Sleep as a movie, but I admire the effort.

My guilty admission is that though Chandler's Philip Marlowe books are my all-time favorites, I've always found it too difficult to follow the convoluted plot twists of the central mysteries. I thought it was just me, and maybe it is for the books. But I was really amused by TCM's noire movie package where they ask several film experts to explain the plot of the movie of The Big Sleep. They all laugh and admit it's basically impossible to follow even in that simplified form. One of them ventures something like: "It's a movie about the world's sexiest book store." And that's better than any summary I could ever come up with.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: Get Vampyr for Free
Dec 23, 2021, 14:59
Re: Get Vampyr for Free Dec 23, 2021, 14:59
Dec 23, 2021, 14:59

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2021, 14:26:
Has there ever been a game you did not snatch, and if so, why? Inquiring minds want to know. It's for science!™ Smart
The moving finger snatches; and, having snatched, moves on.
(Apologies to Omar Khayyam.)
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: TV Guide
Dec 22, 2021, 12:51
Re: OotB: TV Guide Dec 22, 2021, 12:51
Dec 22, 2021, 12:51

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 22, 2021, 12:11:
With the purchase of every under-engineered Break My Windows, you can rest assured that their profit matters more than your safety.
Why 'The Matrix' is a trans allegory
Ahead of The Matrix Resurrections, the fourth installment of The Matrix series, NPR's A Martínez talks to Vox critic Emily VanDerWerff about the trans metaphors in the original film.
I'm disappointed they didn't do the original plan for Switch to have a different physical gender in and out of the Matrix. It seemed like an interesting aspect of the explanation of where your appearance comes from.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Re: OotB: Realizations
Dec 20, 2021, 08:38
Re: OotB: Realizations Dec 20, 2021, 08:38
Dec 20, 2021, 08:38

fakespyder wrote on Dec 19, 2021, 16:41:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2021, 16:24:
So, are you putting blue Christmas lights up on Blue Tower? You don't strike me as a Christmas lights guy though.

I envision blue would have the traditional Festivus pole, standing bare in all it's aluminum glory.🥳
We have a few sets of lights that MrsBlue ambitiously picked up a few years back, but you're right, I'm not really that guy, and they've never gone up.

It's an odd testament to commercial anti-commerciality, but our two main decorations are a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and yes, a Festivus pole.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
5179 Comments. 259 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    259  ] Older