Limit Results:

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: This is only an engine
Aug 7, 2004, 21:47
Re: This is only an engine Aug 7, 2004, 21:47
Aug 7, 2004, 21:47

So Quake multiplayer was mediocre?

Not at all, but the idea was there from Doom, the engine made it better.

Quake 2 was a beautiful engine, and again a mediocre yet solid single player game, yet again immensely fun multiplayer.

The multiplayer was not an original idea...

Quake 3 was one of the first games to feature solid bots, giving you a rudimentary yet satisfying co-op experience. Wasn't better than UT, but it was still worth owning when my roommates and I wanted to play a low-ping game on the same team.

Weren't bots developed by the mod community for the original Quake? And you admit id's effort was less than UT, hardly revolutionary then?

And Doom 3... mediocre? No. And you'll just pass this off as the engine, but it's more - the lighting. Can you say revolutionary? No game has had lighting like this before, it's always been faked. We finally have true dynamic lighting, such an enormous leap forward.

The lighting is a feature of the engine...

I think id gets knocked heavily when they shouldn't. They are the technology kings, and all their games have been worth owning (with Quake 3 being the worst of the bunch).

Lest we forget id is the first to really SPAWN a mod community, which has been a major part of their plans since Quake. I don't see how you can complain about a company making their game very easy to change. You think that wasn't intentional?

I never complained about the easiness of modding id games, I was stating my displeasure at the fact they seem to be relying on the mod community to come up with original ideas (bots, CTF, Team Fortress) to make use of their new technology.

So what was your point again?

This is only an engine
Aug 6, 2004, 22:49
This is only an engine Aug 6, 2004, 22:49
Aug 6, 2004, 22:49

Let's face it, id had one great and revolutionary game and since then all they've done is make a new engine, showcase it in a mediocre game, and let the mod community do all the original stuff. Oh, and of course licence that engine out for ungodly sums of dough. Does anyone really think that they can pay all their expenses for the last 4 years (or however long this thing has been in development) on the retail sales? They found out a way to make us pay for the (what used to be free) demo AND the really good games to follow using this new technology. They've turned into some really fantastic businessmen....

And just to say it, I like the flashlight mod, but I'd like it on every gun. Maybe have one flashlight, and make it take longer to switch weapons because you have to put the light on the new gun? Then again, it's a pretty crappy flashlight for 2145...

The coffee question
Feb 5, 2004, 19:35
The coffee question Feb 5, 2004, 19:35
Feb 5, 2004, 19:35

I think the reason that the grinder is better than the chopper is that the grinder makes the coffee particles a more even size. Apparently there is an ideal water volume--to--brew time--to--coffee amount ratio, and I would guess that the various sizes of the particles would alter how much each particle was 'brewed' resulting in an imperfectly brewed pot of coffee. What's his name on 'Good Eats' (on the Food Network) explained it much better, maybe it's on that site.

Then again, I don't drink coffee, so I could be full of crap.

Re: No subject
Jan 14, 2004, 19:11
Re: No subject Jan 14, 2004, 19:11
Jan 14, 2004, 19:11

It sounds like a bad repitition, I agree, but I was surprised to find no mention of the demo's release on the website when I went there to see if they had any ideas on how to get it to run on my machine...

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 19:13.
4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older