Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve Zupan

Real Name Steve Zupan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zoopster
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 31, 2003, 14:48
Total Comments 52 (Suspect)
User ID 19810

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2016, 14:48 Zoopster

Tried it out a bit last night on XBox One. It looks and plays great, possibly even a bit better than on the 360, since the XBone has v-sync always enabled.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
11. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 7, 2016, 19:57 Zoopster

I am happy that this game is coming out; it's the main reason to return to my PS4. But there's no point in slagging it, hyping it, loving it or hating it, because NOBODY HAS PLAYED IT YET.

Why not wait for it to come out before we start with the mudslinging.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition Jun 13, 2016, 12:11 Zoopster

I'm really stoked for this. Playing with mods on the XBox version of Fallout 4 has been awesome so far.

But jeez, the video compression quality on that preview trailer is AWFUL. Anybody else notice?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2016, 18:26 Zoopster

That article about the Burbank Lockheed facility was interesting. My office is now located on what was part of their facility, about 2 blocks from the airport. Cool history.  

News Comments > Allison Road Cancelled
7. Re: Allison Road Cancelled Jun 6, 2016, 09:36 Zoopster

I know some Gin Blossoms fans that are gonna be upset...  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
20. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 14:06 Zoopster

HoSpanky wrote on May 26, 2016, 11:49:
It gets no publicity because Early Access survive-n-build games are ALL still in Early Access, no matter how long they've been around. Show me ONE that's made it to a "full release". I'm done buying games that aren't even halfway through development, only for the dev to decide they made their money from me already so why bother doing any more work.

I don't know about Steam Early Access, but on XBox Early Access Elite: Dangerous made it to full release. In fact Horizons comes out in a couple of weeks. I think it's still the only one that has so far though.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2016, 18:16 Zoopster

The Arkham collection sounds cool, but not at $50. I'll wait until the price drops.  

News Comments > P.O.L.L.E.N Released
4. Re: P.O.L.L.E.N Released Apr 20, 2016, 13:16 Zoopster

*Starts S.N.E.E.Z.I.N.G. uncontrollably*  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 12:21 Zoopster

I don't even know why an explanation is needed. If you text during a movie, you're a douche. Period.  

News Comments > Into the Black
20. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2016, 09:57 Zoopster

Yeah I want my True Lies and The Abyss Blu-rays as well, a helluva lot more than 4 more Avatar movies. Industry scuttlebutt is that both are actually done and ready for release, but Fox is holding them back for unspecified reasons.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2016, 10:57 Zoopster

Eating pizza with a fork in New York. Too bad Jon Stewart isn't still on the air, he'd be all over that shit.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 23, 2016, 14:27 Zoopster

I had a Wii U for about 6 months. Turned it on like 4 times. Sold it to a friend of mine for $100 less than I paid for it. He's played it about a dozen times. A lot of bang for the buck there.

I think I'm pretty much over Nintendo's "innovation" for now. Unless the NX ships with an absolute killer app, i.e. another Super Mario 64, sorry but no sale.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 21, 2016, 20:53 Zoopster

Not at all surprised about the burner phones thing. Why mess with encryption when you can easily exploit an existing weakness in the system?

Honestly I don't think burner phones should even be legal. If you use the communications infrastructure you should be required to provide valid proof of who you are. My opinion.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 20:07 Zoopster

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 18:03:
I got a comfy sectional and 102"'s over here and still use the office chair and 24" monitor for gaming almost always. LOL And you know why? Because I'm a multi-tasker gamer. Game, alt-tab do something else (like this), all the time. So there could be a fair argument against VR if it takes that away. I feel that is a real part of pc gaming, gaming but everything else at the flick of a couple buttons.

Who alt-tabs anymore? I have dual 24" monitors so I can always keep something up in the other screen.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 15:55 Zoopster

MattyB wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 14:54:
I think Zoopster is referencing console owners, specifically. PC owners are generally more accepting of high-priced peripherals than console owners.

I think it'll struggle on PS4 myself. I've spoken to a few PS4 owners, and no one is planning to buy one. Cost is the major factor, but the other is that it needs some killer gaming support to add the "must play" factor.

I don't plan on buying it myself. Too expensive, too bulky and clumsy, and I honestly couldn't picture myself with that thing perched on my face for an all-day gaming marathon. Wearing it would be too exhausting.

I'll just stick with my big-screen TV thanks.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 10:39 Zoopster

Playstation VR will be sold at a profit?

For 400 fucking dollars I should hope so. Not to mention the additional $60 for the (required) Playstation Camera, and another $60 for a Move controller.

Who knows how this is gonna do (early adopters dont' count; they buy EVERYTHING day 1). I honestly don't see a peripheral that costs more than the console it plugs into, doing well.

Yes, it will plug in. It's not wireless ya know. Hope you like a long HDMI cable and a power cable, AND a headphone cable hanging off your head. That's bound to be comfy for 6 hours of intense gaming. Rolleyes

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2016, 21:26 Zoopster

Good reply. I am also aware that these deals were inked before any of these consoles saw the light of day. I doubt Platinum knew going in that the Wii U would be doomed from the start, otherwise they would have had an escape plan. As you say, they got their money early on and Nintendo took the brunt of the hit when the game didn't do well. But it makes sense that the consequences would still be felt by someone. Maybe Nintendo will be less likely to commission a Bayonetta 3, considering how the previous one did. Who knows. Same goes for Microsoft and Sunset Overdrive. How likely is it that they will pay for another exclusive title from Insomniac?

What both companies will probably conveniently overlook though, is how the sales of their own hardware factored in to the failure of those games to reach a broader audience. With the Wii U barely hitting 12m units sold, and the PS4 holding a 20m unit installed base lead over XBox One, that's a factor that outsiders and game publishers will find hard to ignore, but that the companies themselves will do their best to pave over. That's corporate politics for you.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2016, 12:24 Zoopster

Julio wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 05:40:
I'll give you that the EA access program on Xbox One is good, as for the rest of the list (backwards compatibility, PC compatibility, early access) I don't find any of them valuable.

I wasn't talking about the EA access program. I'm talking about Early Access, also known as Game Preview. The games released on it are usually in beta stage at best (sometimes alpha), and may or may not even see a final release. Elite: Dangerous was one. ARK and The Solus Project are available now as well. It's kinda like Steam Early Access, but on XBox.

I played through the early access for Elite and it was pretty rough for awhile, but it plays great now that they officially released it. I messed a little bit with ARK and The Solus Project too, but I'm not sure how I feel about those yet.

More here.

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2016, 03:05 Zoopster

ElPolloDiablo wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 02:05:
First I'm pretty dubious on the Skyrim numbers on that link. It has the total sales at 23,270,000 and the PC percentage at 14%. Yet Steam Spy has the total Skyrim players at about 9,875,670. Those two numbers don't jive. Regardless, I'm sure the big gaming industry muckety mucks look all those types of statistics before figuring out what they are going to develop games for.

I wouldn't trust that data. By the site's own admission it is a beta and to expect major bugs. The sales figure mentioned on the page I sent is confirmed as of the end of last year. The Wikipedia entry has a similar number. There are no reliable numbers for digital-only sales on this or any other title however, so I don't know what percentage they are, or if they are even included in that figure. It was offered for digital sale on XBox360 and PS3 too. I myself bought three physical copies of it: one for XBox360, one for Windows (so I could have access to the editor), and one Legendary Edition for XBox360 to get all the DLC for it.

I agree that piracy does result in lost revenue. I also agree that no one really knows what the severity of that loss is. So, using piracy as a point on argument is a weak one because know one really knows its impact. Our energy is much better spent lighting our torches, grabbing our pitch forks and storming our local Gamestop.

Maybe so, but I maintain that piracy was and is far more rampant on PC than on the consoles, for a very significant reason. Pirating a PC game only requires a software method; i.e., a key generator, hacked executable, modified savegame, pirated ISO file etc. Hacking a console however requires you to physically alter the hardware itself, by dropping in a mod chip, installing a modified firmware, replacing the disc reader and other tricks. I had an original XBox modded this way, back in the day. Such methods are a great deal more trouble for "casual" users than circumventing the copy protection of a PC game (not to mention pricey), and thus a greater number of them participate in it.

They are chopping it up quite a bit, sometimes more than a lumberjack with epilepsy. There was that one train simulator with about 230 DLC and the cost of all of it would be about $3000. Now that's an extreme example but it happens.

That's a ludicrous example of course. Almost all other games don't have such a crazy amount of DLC and don't expect the user to pony up that much for it. A good example I would point out is Grand Theft Auto IV, which only had 2 DLC packs come out post-release, yet cost Rockstar over $100m to make. They made their money on that one the old-fashioned way: by selling the shit out of it.

They get discounted sooner, but you can always find new releases for cheaper on release day too. Right now you can get The Division for 20% off at and the new Hitman for 25% off from GreenManGaming. Not to mention the gray key market shops too.

I'm talking about MSRP, not discount sites or questionable sources. You can always find games marked down if you look around a bit, but the price the publisher originally set for current releases is pretty uniform across the board now.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2016, 03:11.

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 23:48 Zoopster

ElPolloDiablo wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 21:45:
If they are in it to make money then focusing on PC as a platform makes more sense because globally its making more money than consoles.
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

OK, but that's a poor comparison. The sheer quantity of available PC games outnumber console games by a hundred times over, so even though the overall revenue total is higher, the "per-title" amount earned is actually way less, and that number is what publishers and developers tend to look at. If you take even a single blockbuster title such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, its console versions outsold the PC version at a rate of more than 6-to-1. That is typical.

You know what costs the gaming industry more money than piracy? Used console game sales, because a used game sale means $0 for the developer and is almost certainly a lost sale for them.

Agreed, and I despise chains like Gamestop for essentially feeding off the body of the industry just to keep its own doors open. But the impact of piracy in terms of lost revenue is definite, there can be no question about it. People are just unable to come to agreement on how much.

While this is true, its been compensated by the developers by chopping the game up in to a lot of DLC and micro-transactions. Years ago buying a game meant you got everything the developers had to offer. If the game was successful they might release an expansion pack here and there but not too much and it came out months after it was initially released. Now a days if you bought a game plus all the DLC you are looking at $100+ per game.

When speaking of the price of games, the hat gets tipped of in favor of PC gaming as the price of games generally are much cheaper on PC.

That would have to be a hell of a lot of "chopping" to make up for a 100-fold increase in development costs, vs. a 20% increase in retail price. DLC and micro-transactions can't recover that much of it. So they have to move a lot of units in order to make it up, otherwise they lose their shirts. It's as simple as that. Also, mainstream PC games now start out the same price as their console counterparts, though they do tend to get discounted sooner.

And the simple reason many PC games are cheaper than console ones should be pretty obvious: development tools are standardized not proprietary, with open-source options available; no licensing fees required; no quality standards that need to be met in order to be approved for release; and no per-unit royalties required. All of these can put up a pretty formidable barrier to entry for the casual developer. If you want to develop for a console platform there are a lot of hoops to jump through, which don't exist in the PC sphere. So unless your game had no budget and the increased exposure alone would be profitable, or you know that you have the next GTA in your hands ready to go, developing for consoles is a pretty scary proposition.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2016, 00:05.

52 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo