Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1955 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
5. Re: ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction Feb 24, 2017, 22:37 ViRGE

This won't go anywhere. ZeniMax's victory was only on the grounds of Oculus breaking a non-disclosure agreement. Nothing about the Rift itself was found to infringe on their IP, patents, or the like (the Court did not find that they used ZeniMax's code) which is typically required to get an injunction against shipping a product.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve
16. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 18, 2017, 05:44 ViRGE

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 04:07:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 01:14:
NetHead wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 21:31:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 20:11:
...It's not a good sign when your employees are leaving to be baristas (or for that matter, that they can afford to do so).

Yes it's far better for companies, especially insanely profitable corporations, to keep employees clinging on in a form of indentured servitude.
Obviously I don't mean indentured servitude. But there is a point where you can pay someone so much that they no longer need to work, at which point the run off to do whatever. Google just had this problem with their self-driving car team: most of the top talent left because of the large bonuses they received.

Dude just stop. You keep doubling down on that grave you're digging for yourself.
I'm not stopping until I find the grave where Gabe buried the corpse of Half Life 3!

10. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 18, 2017, 03:07 ViRGE

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 02:20:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 01:14:
...It's not a good sign when your employees are leaving to be baristas (or for that matter, that they can afford to do so).

Yes it's far better for companies, especially insanely profitable corporations, to keep employees clinging on in a form of indentured servitude.
Obviously I don't mean indentured servitude. But there is a point where you can pay someone so much that they no longer need to work, at which point the run off to do whatever. Google just had this problem with their self-driving car team: most of the top talent left because of the large bonuses they received.

so you are saying they shouldnt get totally fucked over ... just fucked over enough to keep em desperate?
I'm saying make sure your best talent has a good reason to stay.

News Comments > GeForce Hotfix Drivers
3. Re: GeForce Hotfix Drivers Feb 18, 2017, 01:17 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 00:34:
Wasn't their previous driver WHQL-certified? So I guess that certification is even more worthless than we already think it is?
WHQL tests basic OS functionality. It isn't meant to catch application-specific bugs.

7. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 18, 2017, 01:14 ViRGE

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2017, 01:12 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 17:30:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 16:14:
Set up for what? They never took away anyone's unlimited plan before, lots of people were grandfathered in for years when it wasn't available to new customers. But even if they would do that, it's not like you're stuck in the same contract forever.
They may not have taken them away, but the tried every trick in the book to get people off those old unlimited plans including lying, threatening, and throttling.
As a former unlimited customer, all I ever recall is the throttling, which is reasonable. I don't recall ever being threatened or lied to.

1. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 17, 2017, 20:11 ViRGE

While I'm happy that Erik is (apparently) getting to do what he wants, it sounds like Valve has an employee retention problem. It's not a good sign when your employees are leaving to be baristas (or for that matter, that they can afford to do so).  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Updated Ending Offers Hint?
1. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Updated Ending Offers Hint? Feb 15, 2017, 10:12 ViRGE

Bloody hell, a 14GB patch? The game's only what, 26GB to begin with?

They're essentially having you download half of the game again.

News Comments > More Apocalypse Now Crowdfunding
9. Re: More Apocalypse Now Crowdfunding Feb 15, 2017, 01:50 ViRGE

Blue, you accidentally posted a twofer. I don't think Boor is meant to be here...  

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
18. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 11, 2017, 06:38 ViRGE

Not to stick up for Activision, but if you dig a bit deeper their financials aren't all that great.

They did indeed have a record year in terms of revenue. However their actual profitability was only so-so. The company made $966M on $6.61B, for a profit margin of ~15%. Last year they made just a bit less profit - $892M - on $4.66B in revenue. Which works out to a 19% margin.

And if you go back farther still, this wasn't even their best year for overall profitability. In 2013 they booked $1.01B profit on $4.58B in revenue, for a margin of 22%.

Ultimately Activision booked a lot of revenue this year, but they also spent a heck of a lot more money in doing so. So I can see why they'd want to tighten their proverbial belt: growing their revenue by $2B isn't all that useful/productive when their operating expenses went up by roughly the same amount.

Profitability aside though, a $2B revenue jump in a year is absolutely huge. I'm very curious where the additional money is coming from, if anyone knows.

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise
9. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise Feb 11, 2017, 04:52 ViRGE

I get why they picked the Enterprise. However I personally would have liked to see the Defiant; it's a tough little ship.  

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Steep DLC Delays
9. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Steep DLC Delays Feb 10, 2017, 02:46 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 21:35:
TangledThorns wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 21:13:
Wow, delayed a whole year? We all want a perfected game but wow, that is a heck of a delay. In fact, I almost forgot about this game because of its last delay. Out of sight, out of mind.

Fiscal Year 2018 starts in October 2017 I believe.
Ubisoft's fiscal year starts in April. So any delay past the original March release date pushes it into FY18. It could just be delayed all a month for what we know, though knowing Ubi it's probably a fall game now.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week
6. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 08:01 ViRGE

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 04:25:
If I had a Rift I would definitely be into this. Looks like a lot of fun. Hell if it could be played without the Rift I would still be into this.
It is a lot of fun. It's not the killer app for VR, but it's one of the best VR experiences out there. If CCP can (eventually) add a single player campaign, they'd have a fantastic game on their hands.

News Comments > Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games
23. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 17:01 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 09:56:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 04:39:
The point of my argument isn't that Blizzard doesn't make money, only that what's occurring doesn't fit the usual description of a cash shop. Nothing gets generated out of thin air, and Blizzard doesn't get money for "free."

That's not entirely true... Blizzard is getting money for 'free' every time someone buys a token, because subs are $15, and tokens are $20 ; )[
Point taken. In EVE's case there are various reasons for the price differential, but they generally boil down to the fact that subscriptions are mildly more valuable to the company. They're recurring (someone has to go cancel the subscription to make the money flow stop) and they can be booked as revenue immediately, whereas tokens/PLEXes have to be held as unrealized revenue until they're finally spent. In CCP's case, they also structured it so that you get better deals on token/PLEX prices when buying in bulk. Not that CCP or Blizzard minds the extra money, I'm sure; $5 is more than the overhead of supporting the system.

Which was a genius move on their part, and as you can see with yesterday's change, the b-net balance is also increasing $15 instead of $20.

Given that the demand for tokens has just jumped a crap ton (US/EU servers both ran out of tokens mid day yesterday), I hope they're going to 'artificially' deflate the gold cost, since this entire page of comments has shown that gold vs token (before yesterday) was balanced by gold (within some deviation) moving from one player to another, but with the new system, there isn't enough people buying gold for it to 'balance'...

I'm biased, because I use tokens for subs, and going from the already too high 60k yesterday to 110k today is shit ; )
Interesting. That's real-life economics in play there, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying about a Blizzard game 5 years ago.

I'm not sure you're going to see gold deflation, since so many costs in the game are ultimately fixed by the developer. If anything, inflation is more likely. Tokens become a reserve currency that everything else is pegged against. That mount that previously cost x might cost 1.2x in order to cover the builder's higher cost of play time. It's a bit like gas/energy in that regard.

However you will see some interesting outcomes as supply and demand come back into equilibrium. As a not-WoW player, 60k->110k tells me that now just became a very good time to come back and throw down some cash on tokens to get enough gold to have a grand time. If the end result is anything like EVE, what you'll find is that token prices will be higher than a lot of people would like, but they end up being not-unreasonable for the amount of work required to collect currency to buy one (at least for people with the means to make gold easily).

13. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 04:39 ViRGE

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 02:48:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 00:19:
Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

Lol, you can still buy them for $. Where do those $ go? Hint, it starts with a B!
Sure. Blizzard makes money off of it. Just as they do if you bought the month's subscription directly rather than in the form of a token.

The point of my argument isn't that Blizzard doesn't make money, only that what's occurring doesn't fit the usual description of a cash shop. Nothing gets generated out of thin air, and Blizzard doesn't get money for "free." Every token is eventually redeemed for a paid service, be it game time, character transfers, etc.*

They're essentially allowing players to sell themselves out for gold; go do menial gold collection for Rich Uncle Pennybags, and he'll pay your subscription. We've been doing the same thing in EVE for quite a while now, and it's led to some interesting outcomes to say the least.

* Now if you want to get into mounts, that's fair criticism, as it seems Blizzard does generate those out of thin air. But they were already doing mounts-for-money before now, if I'm reading this right

9. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 00:19 ViRGE

Kxmode wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 23:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 20:52:
Gold sellers and gold farmers will have a field day

Blizzard IS the gold seller. You can buy gold via the tokens, and max-level character boosts for $60. That's the sort of garbage Blizzard used to ban players for. Now it's a featured part of the cash shop.
Important distinction though: Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
1. Re: Conan Exiles Banishes Servers Feb 5, 2017, 12:08 ViRGE

Well good for Funcom. Having problems is never a good thing, but this is the kind of problem that bodes well for the future of their game.  

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
16. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 2, 2017, 18:03 ViRGE

Not a Euro here, but was it common for games to be much cheaper in Poland and the Czech Republic? And if so, by how much?  

News Comments > WBIE Announcement Tease
11. Re: WBIE Announcement Tease Feb 2, 2017, 17:32 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 16:38:
Rilcon wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 12:23:
(I'd rather a new Shadow or Mordor being announced)

Haven't they already announced that?
Monolith's next game has not been announced, AFAIK.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
1. Re: ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit Feb 1, 2017, 20:00 ViRGE

Boo!  

1955 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo