Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 2013 (Senior)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - South Park: The Fractured But Whole
8. Re: Gone Gold - South Park: The Fractured But Whole Sep 23, 2017, 18:18 ViRGE

Hoop wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 19:14:
Anyone here like fishsticks ?
I love fishsticks. How can anyone not?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Starts Its Engines
7. Re: Project CARS 2 Starts Its Engines Sep 23, 2017, 17:47 ViRGE

I never thought I'd see the day where a Sarah McLachlan song was used in a game trailer. (I really like that particular song; McLachlan's just not the kind of artist publishers go with for promoting games)  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
23. Re: RE: The Incredible Growth of Python Sep 11, 2017, 15:38 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:13:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 11:09:
My inner 15 year old is laughing at the obvious joke here.
Huh?
I'm assuming "the incredible growth of python".

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 06:46 ViRGE

headshot wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 06:26:
Tom wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 19:50:
The search bar is not redundant. The address bar is for putting in a URL. The search bar is for doing a search. Why does it have to be more complicated than that? Mozilla is trying so hard to kill Firefox...

why is having to put in urls in one place and search requests into another more complicated than doing so in just one place?
Exactly. It's not complicated. Search is not URLs. This is a poorly thought out change.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
19. Re: NVIDIA’s performance improvement per generation has dropped from 70% (pre-2010) to 30% (post-201 Sep 11, 2017, 06:42 ViRGE

LittleMe wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 18:15:
Agreeing with CJ on this. Diminishing returns have impacted the whole industry. I'm confident we'll see many more gains in the future but for now this is how it is.
Agreed with the above.

But also, this article takes an unusual approach to defining generations. To the point where I'm not sure if it's naive or clickbait.

Long story short, they switch the definition of generations mid-way through. e.g. they go from the 7800 GTX to the 8800 GTX, skipping the 7900. But they they go from the GTX 480 to the 580 to the 680.

GTX 480 and GTX 580 use the same Fermi GPU; the latter getting a later version of the design with some errata fixes and other modifications to reduce power leakage. While NVIDIA incremented the version number, it wasn't pitched as a whole new generation any more than the 7900 GTX was. Similarly, GTX 780 is a bigger version of the Kepler GPU used in GTX 680, so it's architecturally the same generation as well (released as a mid-gen refresh, once 28nm yields improved).

If you actually compare architecture generation-to-generation, you'd get something like 580-680-980-1080. Which would still show a decrease in gains as chip complexity goes up and manufacturing gains don't come as frequently. But nothing quite so dramatic. Alternatively, if you did pure year-to-year, you'd indeed see a greater drop-off. But then you'd also have to explain why there's a 0% for 2015.

It's the kind of article that's not outright wrong. But it lacks the clarity and context to explain what's happening and why. "The reason behind this decrease is quite obvious. For starters, AMD cannot keep up with NVIDIA. Due to the lack of competition, NVIDIA does not feel the pressure to release a graphics card that will be way, way better than its previous generation offerings" is very much wrong. It makes the assumption that NVIDIA could go at a significantly faster pace without taking the time to understand why that isn't practical.

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
14. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Aug 31, 2017, 11:55 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:27:
El Pit wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:30:
I don't know much about Denuvo - what is the problem with it? Does it forbid offline gameplay?

Depends on how they implement it. It can mean more CPU uptime if they use exe encoding. Which means the exe is in a wraper, then run in a virtual environment by the DRM to be executed. There's active crc checks against various assets used by the game(disk thrashing). Randomized movement of the exe in memory(more cpu cycles eaten), and so on. As for offline gameplay? Depends, it can but not always. Look at the implementation of Total War: Warhammer which used it. Everything about it was broken, from multiplayer to the game itself along with all the DLC which was encrypted too.
Thank you Mashiki for actually offering a well-researched explanation.

Denuvo is anti-tamper rather than true DRM. It doesn't actually contain the enforcement mechanism to prevent copies, it only protects it from being stripped out. There are a few games that do the whole asset encryption thing, but most simply encrypt the EXE.

The actual resource hit can vary based on the developer. Rime's developers managed to screw it up recently, for example. But when it's done right, Denuvo only puts tamper checks into non-perf-critical functions. Slowing down a game with DRM is obviously not a very sound strategy.

As for online activation it's a one-time online access to to fetch the necessary functions. Even basic Steam DRM requires online activation anyhow, so that bit is unavoidable. My understanding is that Denuvo doesn't have an actual always-online mode, rather that's being invoked in some games by their real DRM, but I'd have to double-check that (which is harder than it appears).

At least as far as anti-tamper solutions go, it's easily the best designed system since devs started protecting against such a thing. Which is not to say that it's very pleasant, but it's probably a reasonable compromise given market realities versus consumer rights. That said, it gets a bad reputation due to a mix of the fact that a lot of people hate any kind of security on principle, even more people don't understand the difference between anti-tamper and DRM, and of course, the pirates like to stoke the flames. Plus we've been hating DRM vendors for 20 years now, so why stop now?

Side note: especially for Sonic Mania, some kind of DRM was sadly going to be a necessity. It's a simple game that has no online functionality nor in need of patching, so it's a prime piracy candidate (there aren't any gameplay "incentives" not to pirate it). I imagine Sega wants to avoid the problems Ubisoft encountered with Rayman Origins: they released the game DRM free, and it was ridiculous how heavily it was pirated. Rayman Legends did have DRM, and reportedly saw a lot less piracy since it was no longer trivial.

Though I'm slightly confused on whether Denuvo was even intended for Sonic Mania. Given that it allowed a single bit to be twiddled to turn off the mistakenly-enabled "always online" mode of the game's actual DRM, that implies that it's not actually enforcing anti-tamper.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
7. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 11:23 ViRGE

Nailbender wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 10:14:
OK people, this is all the HL3 we're going to get.
I'll take what I can get. After HL2ep2, closure is all I've wanted. Still, forget Valve!

loomy wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 10:43:
seems like a lot of words to say nothing

I suspect this is just a gift to the community and not actually what they had planned, because if he revealed the end of a story which valve owned, even if they never use it, I think they could and would NAIL him. but it IS shallow enough to be a game story
The guy is the lead writer of the Half-Life series. It may just be "fan fiction", but second to Gabe Newell, he's the only other person in the world that has the authority to claim what is and isn't Half-Life.

In practice, I don't expect the final game would go like this, because rarely does a game stick exactly to the script. But I could easily see this being a Half-Life game, and a fun one at that.

(And I really doubt Valve is going to mind. NDAs expire for a reason, and they obviously don't care about Half-Life anymore)

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Trailer
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2017, 06:58 ViRGE

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 18:47:
theglaze wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:27:
Either way, we're lucky to have such a rich offering of quality racing titles.

Agreed. Many excellent options out there.
What's a good arcade racer these days? I'd kill for another Motorstorm (or even something lower key, ala NFS 3).

News Comments > Non-VR EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone Announced
1. Re: Non-VR EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone Announced Aug 16, 2017, 06:55 ViRGE

Hmm, interesting. Valkyrie is not a game that required VR in terms of game design, but boy did it sure make it a lot of fun. I wonder what non-VR players will think of it?  

News Comments > Agents of Mayhem Released
2. Re: Agents of Mayhem Released Aug 15, 2017, 19:25 ViRGE

Gah! So much to play today. Want to play Agents, but Sonic!...  

News Comments > Sonic Mania Delayed
1. Re: Sonic Mania Delayed Aug 13, 2017, 05:25 ViRGE

Aww!  

News Comments > Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game
14. Re: Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game Aug 9, 2017, 19:13 ViRGE

Man, I never thought I'd say this, but f(orget) Valve.

I wish them the best of luck, but they are no longer the cutting edge masterpiece quality gaming studio they once were. Now they're just a bunch of whalers.

News Comments > Sine Mora EX Released
1. Re: Sine Mora EX Released Aug 9, 2017, 05:26 ViRGE

An interesting game, but damn the original was hard. I wonder if the EX version is any easier?  

News Comments > LawBreakers Released
11. Re: LawBreakers Released Aug 8, 2017, 07:30 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 20:55:
Yeah, I'm really interested in a game that's marketed by 14 year olds to 14 year olds. Christ, this is worse than Romero making one his bitch. Rolleyes
Except that unlike Daikatana, his genuinely looks good. The problem with talking big is that you need to be able to back it up, which is something Romero could never hope to do.

News Comments > Geordi La Forge Joining Star Trek Online
8. Re: Geordi La Forge Joining Star Trek Online Aug 4, 2017, 06:01 ViRGE

We’ll also have server-wide giveaways of the TNG Skant Uniform
They put the skant in the game?! Why?! Wall

News Comments > BULLET SOUL INFINITE BURST Bursts onto Steam
2. Re: etc. Aug 1, 2017, 17:20 ViRGE

deqer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 13:26:
Why they released a new game 1 month later, I dunno.
The original was a 360 game, wasn't it? That's what was released on the PC previously. Whereas this is a new game. (Or so my understanding of it goes)

News Comments > International Prize Pool Swells
1. Re: International Prize Pool Swells Jul 13, 2017, 07:27 ViRGE

Given just how much money this thing raises, am I the only person starting to think the players are getting a bum deal? Valve gets 75% of the money, so a $20M prize pool means Valve is pocketing another $60M. Which is far in excess of what all of this costs them.  

News Comments > EVE Online Project Discovery
2. Re: EVE Online Project Discovery Jul 13, 2017, 07:25 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 03:17:
Huh, so Eve Online feeling the heat generated by Elite Dangerous?
I'm not sure I follow. EVE has had little science games in them for at least a year now, if not longer.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 27, 2017, 05:27 ViRGE

Well that's a shame to hear. I figured it wasn't a strong seller, but I had no idea it was that low.

However, much to my relief, I'm glad to hear that it's a loss that Introversion could afford. After skirting bankruptcy once, I was afraid that was the direction they'd be going ahead. So I hope their next game goes better for them.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 22:15:
I admire them for trying something different even if it didn't work out.
Agreed. Introversion is a different kind of studio, and one we'd all be worse off without.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2017, 05:03 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:15:
Cram wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:13:
Fair point, yet FF3 (6) and Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2).

It's a pretty solid lineup on that thing. The Chrono Trigger gambit, curious.

Star Fox 2...that's a thing 20 years later apparently

SNES had way better games than the NES on the whole so the lineup is much more impressive. Earthbound is another supremely good game. Maybe they just didn't want to stick another Square game on there?
Or Square wanted $20 just for the one game...

2013 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo