Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1835 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 26, 2015, 00:45 ViRGE

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 21:34:
Yep, Moto Racer and Tomb Raider were the big showcase games for Voodoo cards.
It was legitimately fun as well. It was easy to get in to and easy to enjoy yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2015, 06:31 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 02:06:
Also, I wonder what will happen to these man-made islands China is claiming if they get hit with a super typhoon.
They'd be wiped off the map. Though China would just rebuild them.

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
18. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 19:22 ViRGE

Fretnoize wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:27:
Having worked at a Japanese company, this seems like pretty standard stuff to me. When I quit, rather than paying me the remaining time off I was owed, I remained on the payroll and even my email account access remained open until those days off were spent. Looking back, when other employees quit, the company's official standing would be that the employee was sick, and they would even talk about him/her as if they would be coming back, and then we'd just be notified one day that they left the company. I'm sure not all companies work the same, but this seems more likely to be a business culture thing. I'm not sure I would read into this as some conspiracy or anything.
Bingo. This is a hallmark case of burning off any paid time off.

News Comments > New Steam User Record
6. Re: New Steam User Record Oct 20, 2015, 01:40 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 21:39:
edaciousx wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 20:55:
coolkev99 wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 18:50:
This can't be possible. PC gaming is dead.

Isn't it funny? Few years ago all they'd do is talk smack about pc gaming and how much it sucks... Too bad publishers haven't figured it out yet, pc gaming is booming.

I think they have to some extent. We get more console ports to PC than ever.
Indeed. PC Gaming is booming in terms of overall revenue and users, but a massive amount of that is tied up into F2P games. Steam is only growing like it is because of DOTA 2. Which not to knock DOTA 2, it's a fun game, but I would argue that the PC Gaming market is unhealty outside of MOBAs and other microtransaction/P2W games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2015, 18:58 ViRGE

I'll root for the Jays. It would be amusing to see Canada win the World Series.  

News Comments > Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users
5. Re: Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users Oct 17, 2015, 18:39 ViRGE

born2expire wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 14:45:
wow now that is how you take care of your customers!
Well it's something. But this date was announced months in advance; Valve has had quite a bit of time to get this sorted out before the launch.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2015, 20:16.

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
21. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 01:49 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 01:37:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 00:41:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:59:
I'd never seen this site before, which was linked in the article. Apparently you type in an email/username and it searches a bunch of text dumps from these breaches to see if you're among them. I don't know how reliable it is, or trustworthy in and of itself, but if you're curious and wanna give it a shot:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Because of the bold bit I would -IF AT ALL- only enter partial matches and never the full e-mail address or user name.

Trust no one.
That site doesn't do partial matches.

It did for me.

Though upon further testing it is a little strange. For example, let us assume your last name was "Smith" and you also had it in your e-mail address. If you enter "smith" it tells you that you have been pwned on 11 sites. If you remove the "h" and enter "smit" then it's only supposed to be 4 sites. This is bullshit, of course, because it should still be at least 11 based on the previous result. Odd.

Well, I'm definitely not entering my full e-mail or account name on a site like that. I have two-way auth activated everywhere it matters. If I would have been "pwned" then I would have gotten messages. Simple as that.
The reason you only get 4 sites is because it's not doing partial matches. "Smit" is a separate name that was pwned at those 4 sites.

News Comments > Steam Link Video
5. Re: Steam Link Video Oct 17, 2015, 01:31 ViRGE

Valve's TF2 videos continue to be awesome. Unfortunately the early reviews and reports on the Steam Link aren't looking so hot.  

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
14. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 00:41 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:59:
I'd never seen this site before, which was linked in the article. Apparently you type in an email/username and it searches a bunch of text dumps from these breaches to see if you're among them. I don't know how reliable it is, or trustworthy in and of itself, but if you're curious and wanna give it a shot:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Because of the bold bit I would -IF AT ALL- only enter partial matches and never the full e-mail address or user name.

Trust no one.
That site doesn't do partial matches.

News Comments > Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label
2. Re: Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label Oct 16, 2015, 22:14 ViRGE

TheEmissary wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:26:
If they didn't merge steamOS and Linux under one label this wouldn't be an issue.
Agreed. None the less, the fact that they're fixing it now is appreciated. Steam Machines are having a rough enough time as it is.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta This Month
8. Re: Overwatch Beta This Month Oct 15, 2015, 03:40 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 19:34:
Maybe.
Probably.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2015, 03:01 ViRGE

"Metal Gear Solid V's opening day was twice as good as Avengers: Age of Ultron's"

I hate these kinds of stories. There's a finite limit on the number of butts you can seat in a 24 hour period, and the cost to scale that up is immense as opposed to pushing a few more bytes or pressing a few more polycarbonate discs.

The right way to compare movies and video games is to estimate the entire first-run take of a movie, and compare that to the equivalent for a video game, mainly the period until it goes on sale.

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode Begins
6. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode Begins Oct 14, 2015, 03:46 ViRGE

Given TTG's lackluster episode scheduling, I'm waiting until all of the episodes are released for Story Mode. But I definitely think it's something I'm going to want to pick up.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 11, 2015, 17:59 ViRGE

Rising Tide didn't even crack the top 3?  

News Comments > Tales From the Borderlands Concludes This Month; First Chapter F2P
1. Re: Tales From the Borderlands Concludes This Month; First Chapter F2P Oct 8, 2015, 20:05 ViRGE

Well that only took a year for 5 episodes...

I like episodic content, but it needs to come regularly and monthly. Not one episode and then a massive break before the next 4.

News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
31. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 16:48 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 11:37:
Frijoles wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:27:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:15:
"Stunt pay" for VO's is probably the most funny thing there.

It takes a lot of skill and hard work to make your voice sound like it's falling out of a plane or in a car wreck. It's very dangerous work.

Yeah, actually I think the working conditions stipulations are their strongest point. It's pretty easy to wreck your voice doing shit like that, then you're fucked for life.
Agreed. Your voice is just the product of another body part (the larynx). You can overstress it and hurt it or even permanently wreck it. Paying someone more in accordance with the risk, or better yet taking steps to avoid the risk altogether, are reasonable things to do.

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 12:42:
The people complaining that it's "just voice acting" and "their demands are unreasonable" haven't done an ounce of reading on this. The demands are...pretty reasonable. Asking for an extra $3300 for every two million copies sold is VERY reasonable.
Although the immediate idea of back-end royalties is decent enough - it means you can better control the costs of VAs on those games that flop as opposed to having to pay them a staggering amount of money up-front - I don't believe the video game development model is well suited towards it. The moment someone starts getting back-end royalties, everyone else will want those as well. And that's going to quickly spiral out of control.

The video game industry doesn't have the same kind of ability to control costs and project revenue as the motion picture industry does. You need more stability in the overall business to be able to give out royalties without making a mess of things.

News Comments > PC Sonic Lost World Next Month
8. Re: PC Sonic Lost World Next Month Oct 7, 2015, 03:14 ViRGE

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 19:28:
But... Why?
Why not? It wasn't a fantastic game, but if they think there are some PC gamers interested in buying it, they are welcome to try.

News Comments > Dead Star Revealed
3. Re: Dead Star Revealed Oct 5, 2015, 21:31 ViRGE

I was very confused for a second until I realized that Sony is just the publisher, not the developer.

Armature is a decent studio. They've worked on a number of Vita games, and as a Vita owner I didn't find any of them exceptional, but for half of those games they also had the misfortune of trying to port PS3 games to the Vita.

News Comments > Steam in Stores
20. Re: Steam in Stores Oct 5, 2015, 21:10 ViRGE

Razumen wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:50:
4D-Boxing wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:37:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:09:
So Steam took PC gaming from retail to online, and now PC gaming is going back to retail?

Retail gave up on PC gaming so I gave up on being PC games from retail stores. So the PC game rack in the forgotten corner of the store will now have a steam banner?! Maybe they'll download the game to disk for us, better yet game boxes with disks that only contain a link to steam lol

Yeah, a neat thing they could would be if you could bring a USB stick and they could preload the game's files on it if you buy a game. Then you just go home and transfer them over. Discs I think would be too wasteful, and a lot of computer builds are doing away with them.
It's like the NES (Famicom) Disk System (FDS) all over again.

It's not a bad idea. The problem here is cost. Given that Steam games go up to 60GB, you'd need a 64GB USB flash drive for the task. Then you need a drive that's fast enough to transfer 64GB in a reasonable amount of time (you don't want to be at the store forever). That would be something like the SanDisk Extreme 64GB, which is ~$35. $35 is a lot of money to ask someone to spend just to transport a game.

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
28. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 3, 2015, 01:07 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 22:58:
I'm still not really sure how they feel that this "defends" their sources, or why they felt the need to give an accurate-to-the-minute guide to when and how they talked to people. (so instead of knowing that you talked to several anonymous sources, I now know that you talked to several anonymous sources for xx minutes over Skype and the phone. DOUBTS:ERASED.)
Well how else would you defend a whistleblower style article? They can't name their sources (least their sources get dragged to court and become unemployable), so what else is there to do besides making sure your sources are who they say they are? Chris Roberts isn't about to hand over the company's accounting book.

1835 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo