Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1823 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Paragon Revealed
5. Re: Paragon Revealed Nov 4, 2015, 01:31 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 20:35:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 20:12:
Am I missing something or is the game genre not even described?

'Reveal a char a week' screams MOBA (Ugh) or whatever Overwatch is...
What are we classifying Overwatch as, anyhow?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Paragon Revealed
1. Re: Paragon Revealed Nov 3, 2015, 20:12 ViRGE

Am I missing something or is the game genre not even described?  

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
20. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 20:05 ViRGE

nimski wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 19:05:
With those numbers I'd guess they would be smurf accounts or a new scam brewing. Valve would know where they're coming from and how they're being used however.
Agreed. The record set today ended up being 13,480,916. 25% growth in 2 weeks is not natural for a long established service like Steam (even with DOTA/CS/TF2), so someone is screwing around and creating a bunch of accounts.

Given how distinct the spike is, I'm wondering if maybe a handful of people are creating and logging in a bunch of accounts just to push the peak number higher for amusement.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 31, 2015, 00:33 ViRGE

Is this the fate of the Vita? To get iOS hand-me-downs?  

News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
5. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 00:20 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 20:57:
Interesting. I wonder what they're doing / how they're doing this?
Double buffering plus render time prediction. Use only two buffers (one actively displayed, one being drawn to) and then time the start of the next frame based on how long the previous frames took to render.

The difference is that in a typical V-sync setup you'd either use double buffering and then start rendering the next frame the moment you display the previous, which means a completed frame is sitting around for a while. Alternatively you'd use triple buffering and start on the next frame the moment the previous frame is done, but this in some ways adds more lag depending on how you handle your buffers.

AMD and NVIDIA do something similar to this for frame pacing for multi-GPU setups.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed
1. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed Oct 29, 2015, 19:28 ViRGE

So long as they get it right they can take all the time they want...  

News Comments > Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as "Pre-Release"
27. Re: Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as Oct 29, 2015, 05:56 ViRGE

Krovven wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 19:40:
One thing that would be nice if they made the reviews tagged with the version number like is done on mobile stores.
I tend to agree.

The current Steam review system is not designed to accommodate game updates. So this puts publishers and Valve been a rock and a hard place. Are reviews still relevant if they are discussing bugs that have been fixed? Are reviews discussing gameplay now irrelevant just because unrelated bugs were fixed?

Having reviews separated by version is probably the best way to go. It's not perfect, but overall most people seem to be happy with the iTunes approach. That way you can see the reviews and scores for the current version as well as the overall average.

Right now Steam gets half-way there, but they only have two categories, "pre-release" and "release". Pre-release is not suitable for the initial release of this game. But how else do you separate reviews under the current system?

News Comments > Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play
21. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 05:48 ViRGE

So we're basically back to selling Quake 3 now?  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 26, 2015, 00:45 ViRGE

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 21:34:
Yep, Moto Racer and Tomb Raider were the big showcase games for Voodoo cards.
It was legitimately fun as well. It was easy to get in to and easy to enjoy yourself.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2015, 06:31 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 02:06:
Also, I wonder what will happen to these man-made islands China is claiming if they get hit with a super typhoon.
They'd be wiped off the map. Though China would just rebuild them.

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
18. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 19:22 ViRGE

Fretnoize wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:27:
Having worked at a Japanese company, this seems like pretty standard stuff to me. When I quit, rather than paying me the remaining time off I was owed, I remained on the payroll and even my email account access remained open until those days off were spent. Looking back, when other employees quit, the company's official standing would be that the employee was sick, and they would even talk about him/her as if they would be coming back, and then we'd just be notified one day that they left the company. I'm sure not all companies work the same, but this seems more likely to be a business culture thing. I'm not sure I would read into this as some conspiracy or anything.
Bingo. This is a hallmark case of burning off any paid time off.

News Comments > New Steam User Record
6. Re: New Steam User Record Oct 20, 2015, 01:40 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 21:39:
edaciousx wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 20:55:
coolkev99 wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 18:50:
This can't be possible. PC gaming is dead.

Isn't it funny? Few years ago all they'd do is talk smack about pc gaming and how much it sucks... Too bad publishers haven't figured it out yet, pc gaming is booming.

I think they have to some extent. We get more console ports to PC than ever.
Indeed. PC Gaming is booming in terms of overall revenue and users, but a massive amount of that is tied up into F2P games. Steam is only growing like it is because of DOTA 2. Which not to knock DOTA 2, it's a fun game, but I would argue that the PC Gaming market is unhealty outside of MOBAs and other microtransaction/P2W games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2015, 18:58 ViRGE

I'll root for the Jays. It would be amusing to see Canada win the World Series.  

News Comments > Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users
5. Re: Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users Oct 17, 2015, 18:39 ViRGE

born2expire wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 14:45:
wow now that is how you take care of your customers!
Well it's something. But this date was announced months in advance; Valve has had quite a bit of time to get this sorted out before the launch.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2015, 20:16.

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
21. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 01:49 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 01:37:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 00:41:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:59:
I'd never seen this site before, which was linked in the article. Apparently you type in an email/username and it searches a bunch of text dumps from these breaches to see if you're among them. I don't know how reliable it is, or trustworthy in and of itself, but if you're curious and wanna give it a shot:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Because of the bold bit I would -IF AT ALL- only enter partial matches and never the full e-mail address or user name.

Trust no one.
That site doesn't do partial matches.

It did for me.

Though upon further testing it is a little strange. For example, let us assume your last name was "Smith" and you also had it in your e-mail address. If you enter "smith" it tells you that you have been pwned on 11 sites. If you remove the "h" and enter "smit" then it's only supposed to be 4 sites. This is bullshit, of course, because it should still be at least 11 based on the previous result. Odd.

Well, I'm definitely not entering my full e-mail or account name on a site like that. I have two-way auth activated everywhere it matters. If I would have been "pwned" then I would have gotten messages. Simple as that.
The reason you only get 4 sites is because it's not doing partial matches. "Smit" is a separate name that was pwned at those 4 sites.

News Comments > Steam Link Video
5. Re: Steam Link Video Oct 17, 2015, 01:31 ViRGE

Valve's TF2 videos continue to be awesome. Unfortunately the early reviews and reports on the Steam Link aren't looking so hot.  

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
14. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 00:41 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:59:
I'd never seen this site before, which was linked in the article. Apparently you type in an email/username and it searches a bunch of text dumps from these breaches to see if you're among them. I don't know how reliable it is, or trustworthy in and of itself, but if you're curious and wanna give it a shot:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Because of the bold bit I would -IF AT ALL- only enter partial matches and never the full e-mail address or user name.

Trust no one.
That site doesn't do partial matches.

News Comments > Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label
2. Re: Some Steam Titles Losing SteamOS Label Oct 16, 2015, 22:14 ViRGE

TheEmissary wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:26:
If they didn't merge steamOS and Linux under one label this wouldn't be an issue.
Agreed. None the less, the fact that they're fixing it now is appreciated. Steam Machines are having a rough enough time as it is.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta This Month
8. Re: Overwatch Beta This Month Oct 15, 2015, 03:40 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 19:34:
Maybe.
Probably.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2015, 03:01 ViRGE

"Metal Gear Solid V's opening day was twice as good as Avengers: Age of Ultron's"

I hate these kinds of stories. There's a finite limit on the number of butts you can seat in a 24 hour period, and the cost to scale that up is immense as opposed to pushing a few more bytes or pressing a few more polycarbonate discs.

The right way to compare movies and video games is to estimate the entire first-run take of a movie, and compare that to the equivalent for a video game, mainly the period until it goes on sale.

1823 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo