Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1823 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Climb Announced
1. Re: The Climb Announced Dec 15, 2015, 09:38 ViRGE

This reminds me of the early days of CD-ROM games, where companies would make extensive FMV games thanks to the relatively massive amount of space afforded by CDs. That said, while FMV games were novel and definitely eye-catching, they were almost universally as shallow as could be.

I see some of these early VR experiences being the same way. Climbing up a rock face in VR is going to look absolutely breathtaking the first time you do it. But after the novelty wears off it doesn't seem like there's going to be any reason to play it again. Which isn't to slag this game too badly - if VR is going to take off we need groundbreaking experiences such as this to show off the technology - but it's not going to be the kind of game that sells the gameplay elements of VR; it won't be the Tetris or Angry Birds of VR.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Dec 14, 2015, 20:19 ViRGE

bigspender wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 18:46:
"Captains log, today we put unnecessary illumination around the Enterprise to make it look ghetto and drag raced a Cardassian frigate using only impulse propulsion.
Laugh I think I'd pay to see that. (But you'd have to get Gul Dukat in the Cardassian frigate)

News Comments > Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video
5. Re: Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video Dec 14, 2015, 20:17 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 19:31:
But I suppose that's expecting too much of a tech demo only meant to prove they could do side-scrolling graphics.
Bingo. The physics are easy. It's the side scrolling that was the challenge.

News Comments > Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage
53. Re: Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage Dec 11, 2015, 18:48 ViRGE

MacLeod wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 12:08:
Everytime I see games with SweetFX shaders on (it's popular in Guild Wars 2), all I see is screwed up visuals with crushed black levels, and saturation pushed past what is normal. Drives me crazy.
Agreed. But it's a wonderful example of how human visual perception is anything but linear. What we perceive as "good" can be pretty far distorted from what is accurate.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 10, 2015, 01:05 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 20:47:
Why not a PI? Where are the various authorities that should be involved in this? M15/FBI/Interpol?
Because it's not a crime to try to run a business and fail. Indeed this is expected under capitalism.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 30, 2015, 21:00 ViRGE

nin wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:26:
That whole thing was fucking bizarre to read. From what I saw yesterday, the "journalist" basically started it and then cried when the other guy posted about it on social media...

If I'm reading this story right, the journalist insulted the player's girlfriend? Bizarre.

News Comments > Windows and OS X PS4 Remote Play Plans
17. Re: Windows and OS X PS4 Remote Play Plans Nov 28, 2015, 03:58 ViRGE

Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 22:57:
They had something like this. It was called Bleem. Sony sued them into oblivion.
Bleem was a 3rd party emulator. This is a first party streaming solution. The platform the game is being run on isn't changing, and you still need to buy all of the hardware and software you otherwise would have in the first place.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
2. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 26, 2015, 15:51 ViRGE

11.7mil units is really not that massive. The PS2 sold over 22mil units in its heyday. So while it's a lot of units, it's not all that impressive. The only thing that has changed from the last generation is that sales aren't split down the middle between MS and Sony; this time Sony has them all.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 23, 2015, 20:08 ViRGE

Futurama to be resurrected as a mobile game. Good news everyone!
Wait, that's not good news at all!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 21, 2015, 19:44 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2015, 18:53:
Netflix Plans "Lost in Space" TV Series Remake. Because?

Hey it worked out for Battlestar Galactica.
I beg to differ. The back-half of the show was worse than anything we could have imagined to start with.

News Comments > Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled
4. Re: Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled Nov 20, 2015, 18:18 ViRGE

Wow. I've seen many things over the years. But you almost never see a game pulled simply because it's so awful.  

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
15. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 19, 2015, 02:17 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 20:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 20:09:
Witcher 3... "Source: Authorized Distributor"

That is transparency that makes a politician blush.

When a company weasels around like that, it's usually because of an NDA
Perhaps. None the less it still defeats the point. People want to know what distributor the key is coming from (and if they're a North American distributor), because there's not a lot of trust that GMG's distributors are authorized to be selling in NA.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
2. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 18, 2015, 20:06 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 19:58:
it is very cool for them to do this.
Agreed. Their prices definitely call into question their sources, and while they didn't have to do this, I think this will help to address buyers' fears.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2015, 18:40 ViRGE

"Deadpool Is Now Available For Xbox One."

Huh? Why would they bother to port over a game that barely cracked 60 on Metacritic now, some 2 years after it was first released? How can there possibly be a market for it at this point?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 16, 2015, 17:33 ViRGE

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 08:53:
Desert Bus for Hope 9 underway watch people suffer for charity.

I always get a chuckle when they do this every year. A game that was designed to be shitty, from the get go...
Agreed. And they're all such good sports about it despite its mind-numbing monotonous nature.

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
3. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 7, 2015, 00:57 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 22:07:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:56:
$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

You believe that's what Overwatch is? Exactly how naive are you?
Unless I'm mistaken, no microtransactions have been announced? Nor has Blizzard announced there will be any.

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
1. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 6, 2015, 20:56 ViRGE

$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

As long as I like what I see once I have a chance to play the beta, it would be an easy buy.

News Comments > Overwatch Not F2P?
23. Re: Overwatch Not F2P? Nov 5, 2015, 23:56 ViRGE

Wetworks24 wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:39:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:26:
Am I the only person that would look forward to a full price retail no-microtransactions game? F2P/MT has ruined so many games over the last few years...

$60 for a mp only game with a couple modes is poor value. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it in the end, but people expect a campaign and other single player / co-op content for a full price boxed copy.
Personally, I'm a Tribes player. I find SP content to be a distraction in a good MP game. Do one thing and do it well (and throw in some bots).

News Comments > Overwatch Not F2P?
16. Re: Overwatch Not F2P? Nov 5, 2015, 20:26 ViRGE

Am I the only person that would look forward to a full price retail no-microtransactions game? F2P/MT has ruined so many games over the last few years...  

News Comments > Steam Item Stores
5. Re: Steam Item Stores Nov 4, 2015, 19:46 ViRGE

Nothing good will come of this.  

1823 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo