Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1847 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Closed Beta This Month; New MP Trailer
17. Re: DOOM Closed Beta This Month; New MP Trailer Mar 10, 2016, 05:01 ViRGE

Overon wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 23:59:
Why does it remind me of Halo?
The multi-colored armor.

djinn wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 03:57:
Doesn't seem fast at all. Maybe I'm stuck int he past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5b_cTZzBw
The unnaturally wide FoV of that Q3 recording makes it look faster than it is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OVERLOAD Teaser Demo
23. Re: Kickstarter Mar 8, 2016, 23:21 ViRGE

Xeme wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 21:34:
I would say, just try the demo... it is short and sweet and it is free from any obligation. You can complain about the history of its lineage and how these new posters are brainwashed advertisers... but, within itself, Overload has nothing to do with all that tripe. It may actually be something that you may enjoy quite much, but, disregarded because it was early access or such...
Oh don't get me wrong, for a very early tech demo it's great. My gripe is with crowd funding, not with the game. I wish the devs all the luck in the world, I just think this needs to be publisher funded.

News Comments > OVERLOAD Teaser Demo
19. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 8, 2016, 19:39 ViRGE

I really like what I see, but frankly at this point I'm done with crowd funding. It has been a disaster.

Either publishers need to assume the risk, or make this a proper investment where backers get a share of the profits from successful games. The current system of "pre-order and hope it gets made" is rubbish.

News Comments > Valve Teases Free VR Experiments in The Lab
6. Re: Valve Teases Free VR Experiments in The Lab Mar 7, 2016, 18:09 ViRGE

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 16:29:
These things are all the rage 15 years ago, then you didn't hear about them for a decade...when suddenly they were all the rage again.
Because the technology has improved immensely. And that goes for both the display tech and processing tech.

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
30. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 23:18 ViRGE

descender wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 11:22:
Of course they probably could make Windows 7 DX12 compatible, but why on Earth would they?
They actually tried this back with DX 11.1. It turns out you can't do it; you'll break a bunch of Windows 7 systems whose drivers just barely work as-is.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 29, 2016, 04:13 ViRGE

Brazor wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 20:42:
I read an article some months ago about people using devices in their pockets to scan the chip cards in peoples wallets. Just by walking close to them or bumping into them on the street. But there's supposedly wallets out there meant to block those.

Give it less than a year and chip cards won't be anything special safety wise. They'll figure it out.
You can't scan chip cards like that. Chip cards require direct contact to interface with, as they're not wireless devices. Plus the card is designed in such a way that you can't reuse authentication tokens, so even if you could connect to a card, you need the chip for each and every transaction you attempt.

It sounds like you confused chip cards with NFC/RFID.

News Comments > Harmonix on PC Rhythm Gaming
8. Re: Harmonix on PC Rhythm Gaming Feb 28, 2016, 08:36 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 15:17:
Rhythm games are also best played as party games, which PC has traditionally been less suited to.
Agreed. I like what Harmonix does, but I don't think they're going to find success on the PC.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 27, 2016, 20:23 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 15:58:
I love how Gabe posts like two sentences, and suddenly thousands of nerds are whipped into a frenzy.
To be fair, when's the last time Gabe publicly fired someone for being an ass? It's a very rare occasion, to say the least.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 27, 2016, 20:19 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 13:39:
New Details On The "Minecraft" Movie.

As I understand it Michael Bay will direct and there will be liberal use of TNT.
Given how much fun TNT is in Minecraft, I may be okay with this...

News Comments > Postal Redux This Spring
5. Re: It Still Looks Like Ass Feb 25, 2016, 02:55 ViRGE

Grokk wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 23:35:
I thought postal was an FPS, or was that just postal 2?

Either way, this just looks like a gimmicky mobile game at best.
The original Postal was an isometric shooter. It was Postal 2 that took the series to a full FPS.

News Comments > Steam VR Performance Test Teases Us
8. Re: Steam VR Performance Test Teases Us Feb 22, 2016, 23:22 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 21:01:
I get a steady 120 FPS at high fidelity but it appears to be in approximately 720p which means I'm not sure what the point is.
The internal rendering resolution is higher. It's just not being displayed at that resolution so that it doesn't fill out your screen.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 23:16 ViRGE

The bit that more or less kills the Vive for me is that the entire experience is essentially built around having a large, empty room to move/stumble around in. Which invokes Wii Sports, except now I can't easily see the coffee table. The Rift is a much more practical solution for me since it doesn't need a dedicated space and I can sit down while playing it.

I'm also not sold on the VR controls, but we'll see how that goes. Motion controls ended up not having much longevity (they aren't dead, but they aren't widely used), so I kind of wonder if this goes the same way.

theglaze wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 14:08:
It's hard to not side with the Vive and the full ecosystem they are pushing to enable immersion and interaction in a digital space, rather than just the stationary perspective of Oculus. Plus, as others mentioned, the connection Vive has with Steam.
Having Valve as a partner definitely helps. Though I don't see developers or Valve locking out Rift; given that they're going to have a significant chunk of the VR headset market, that would be business suicide. If you want to develop high budget VR games, you'll need to sell to the Vive and the Rift.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Fixes and Features Planned
7. Re: Street Fighter V Fixes and Features Planned Feb 18, 2016, 02:19 ViRGE

At this point PC gamers really need to get used to the fact that XInput has supplanted DirectInput for gamepads and sticks. As nice as DI is in some ways, it's archaic and a pain in the butt to support. Plus all new PC peripherals properly support XInput.  

News Comments > OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans
6. Re: OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans Feb 17, 2016, 03:55 ViRGE

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 01:52:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 17:04:
Pandering to vocal backers in order to make your goals is a good way to promise more than you can deliver, or to deliver a project that half-asses all parts of the project. It may get them to their funding goal, but it means they have to compromise on quality to get there.

Tragically enough they didn't do much to sell the kickstarter and that was it, they basically tried to make a single player descent game for themselves and didn't seem all that genuine in understanding the their own fans.

I mean if you're going to come back and make a spiritual successor you need to go all out, not just pussyfoot around.
I don't know, I happened to like their original pitch. What was it you thought they were lacking?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 17, 2016, 00:48 ViRGE

Squirmer wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 19:34:
For one thing, Minecraft has done more for the use of games in educational settings than any other game I can think of.
Agreed. It's created a whole new genre and made a legitimate educational game at the same time. That's not something that happens every day (more like once or twice a decade).

News Comments > OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans
3. Re: OVERLOAD Multiplayer Plans Feb 16, 2016, 17:04 ViRGE

Pandering to vocal backers in order to make your goals is a good way to promise more than you can deliver, or to deliver a project that half-asses all parts of the project. It may get them to their funding goal, but it means they have to compromise on quality to get there.  

News Comments > SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring
4. Re: SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring Feb 15, 2016, 17:24 ViRGE

Bundy wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 13:06:
Anyone using steamOS? I never saw the big advantage in it myself.
No one's actually meant to use it. It's intended to be a threat to wield against Microsoft.

News Comments > Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week
3. Re: Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week Feb 15, 2016, 11:32 ViRGE

killer_roach wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 11:16:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 11:09:
I want to get excited about a new Vita game, but another mobile port?

Seeing how similar the Vita hardware is to the now three-plus-year-old iPhone 5, it tends to go without saying that it'll attract its fair share of mobile ports...
Yeah, I know. But these mobile games are rarely much fun in the first place. The gameplay is all wrong since it had to be monetized.

News Comments > Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week
1. Re: Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week Feb 15, 2016, 11:09 ViRGE

I want to get excited about a new Vita game, but another mobile port?  

News Comments > On DOOM's Campaign Length
14. Re: On DOOM's Campaign Length Feb 14, 2016, 19:54 ViRGE

Dentorro wrote on Feb 14, 2016, 19:46:
MajorD wrote on Feb 14, 2016, 18:34:
Since RAGE, I no longer get excited about id Software games. I may pick I up on a Steam sale, but with all the other Indie games I've been enjoying, I doubt it.

I don't get all the hate on Rage, while shorter then I expected, it was and still is a nice game and I had more fun with it then Doom 3 and a lot of other more recent FPS games, but to each his own.
I enjoyed Rage overall, but it had two pretty notable problems: the driving was superfluous and otherwise unfun (Borderlands did this much better), and the plot just suddenly ended, as if there's half an act or so missing. They aren't killer problems, but it means that if the gunplay doesn't hook you then there won't be much of a reason to play it.

1847 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo