Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Toddles

Real Name Toddles   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kosumo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 2494 (Senior)
User ID 19551

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 23:25 Kosumo

Sepharo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 23:09:
So... I'm still going to need some help with this part,

"And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back."

Well they claim the tax back against the 'loss' in value, and write it down over many years - then write it off completely.

Then they can sell it and only pay a small amount of tax on whatever they get for it. Meaning that that have got tax credits back to the total cost of the item - them sold it for money of which they keep most of.

i.e. My 4 year old mobile phone, has been written down to a vaule of just $2 - I have had tax credits of over $800 dollars on it - I could go and sell it right now for cash (which is what most thing that have been written down for) and get about $50~80 in my hand.

Can you do that if you earn wages? No, you paid $800 and sold it for $50~80 - you lose $720~750 dollars, if I sell it I gain $48~78 dollars.

I'm no tax expert, I'm not an accountant, and I can't explain things well. But this is a fact. At lest where I am from (New Zealand - a first world country).

Anyway - I bet CIG know how to write things down to make money - it's common to any big company.

edit - By the way I don't think this is right - its just the way things are, which is why there is a rise in those who are now self employed - here is a crude example for some Americans

I done talking taxes - I pay an accountant for that - which she then claim the cost of against my taxes meaning she coast me next to nothing - plus I don't have to do all that work/knowlage.

I also take it that Sepharo is paid wages not self employed.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2015, 23:36.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 23:04 Kosumo

panbient wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 22:26:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:56:
[
And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

What? Please please please explain to me how to make those claims on my next tax assessment. That would be freaking awesome... so long as it's not tax evasion or some kind of fraud. Kind of like how some people kind of blur that line by claiming their personal vehicle is a mandatory corporate expense or something.

Because the idea that somehow spending more money reduces the tax you pay on your income doesn't really make sense to my poor mind (since your amount of income doesn't change whether you save it or spend it). Generally speaking there are limits to the amount of charitable contributions etc that can be claimed as taxable deductions.

I will try to in my drunk state (I don't do it, but my accountant confirms it and others I work with - we are 'freelance' do - and maybe not make money, but don't pay high/total tax like you would if you where on a wage.

so lets say you work as a freelance garden dude - you have a pick up truck that you use to get form job to job and also carry 'dirt' on, you are then able to write off all the gas and a percentage of the cost of the pick up (perchase cost, up keep cost, new tires ect). You also have a car that you sometimes drive to a job with out any dirt but you are still using it to get to the job. You can claim some of the cost of this car as well.

then you own a house that you have a mogage (loan) on, that you park these two cars/pick ups at (in the drive in garage) you can also claim back against tax the cost of this (a percentage of the loan on the house) then you also have a room in you house which you call an office - you can claim this percentage of the house loan back agaist taxes to. Then, since this is called your office, you claim that the news paper delivied everyday to your house is for the office for you and clients to read - you claim this cost back against tax. Your phone/internet - claim its for work - power for both the garage and office plus the toilet (cos you can't have a office without a toilet) - that percent of your total house is claimed against tax.

In the case of you being a gardener - you claim that your own garden is of work concern so claim that percentage of the mortgage back as well. Garden magazins - claim back.

Those two cars/pick ups form earlier that you have loans against, you claims back the interest on the loan as well as depreciation (how things lose value over time) on the value of the asset.

so after all of this your accountant says you get a $40,000 tax credit; so although you have earned $130,000 and have to pay %30 tax ($45,000) you get back $40,000 of that so only paying $5,000 on an income of $150,000. - You may think that's fine, and it is, but just remember that a lot of that $40,000 you claimed back was on thing that now belong to you.

It get to the point where you lose money by not spending more.

It's called a write off.

It's what people who are self employed/own companies do.

If you work for wages, you can't do it (but you boss is).

It's not charitable contributions (which both self employed and wage eraners can claim)

This is my understanding after being a freelance camera operator in New Zealand for 23 years. ymmv

I don't know if this will help you in you next tax assessment - you will need to tell me, us, your accountant more info.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 21:56 Kosumo

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:29:
Sugarman wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:22:
People can claim that backers of SC are idiots for spending ridiculous sums of money, yet they fail to see it's a two way street, I know people that buy new cars every couple of years, soon as you drive it off the lot you've lost thousands of dollars, or they spend thousands on a bicycle, buy a pack of cigarettes every day or two, you name it, there's plenty out there people waste huge sums of money on, but it's their money, and if they get enjoyment from spending it that way then who are we to criticize their form of happiness. I've probably spent over 50k in the last 15 years modifying my vehicles, I like fast cars, it's a hobby of mine and it always will be, I'll barely see a return on any of that, it's gone, but it's something I enjoy, to me and many others it's not about the money.

See, the problem with that analogy is when you buy a car or bike or pack of smokes you actually have the thing you paid for. This is people giving piles of money for a thing that doesn't exist beyond a lot of talk over several years. Classically speaking, that's a long con. That's grifting at the highest levels. I'll be amazed if he ever actually has a complete game to ship. And doubly amazed if it's not a hot mess and woefully short of what's promised. It certainly won't be a game worth 100 mil no matter what happens.

And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

Those who are not self employed (I am self employed with an accountant ect), who are working for wages end up paying full tax, while those who are self employed/company owners claim heaps of it back as a tax write off, which end up with you getting into a situation where your accountant starts to tell you to spend more money your else you will not have a tax write off.

It's capitalisium 101 - with those at the top claiming it helps those at the bottom while those at the top drive a new 2015 BMW and those at the bottom still drive their 2003 Toyota corolla that they save for years to pay for. (yet the bottom have really work just as hard as the top).

In two years time the top gets a new 2017 BMW while a cheaper 2015 BMW goes into the market for those at the bottom to save up for years to buy, while the top make money form buying a new BMW.

As for Chris Roberts, he is just scum using other peoples money to enrich himself (and family). At lest, to my knowlarge, Derek Smart has never used other peoples money* for his dreams.

*maybe you could say that with his early acsues game, Line of Defense, but I've not paid any attention to that - like 99.999999% of the world.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 20:06 Kosumo

I don't get why people will think this will kill the space-sim genre? It never died, never will - if anything this show that there is money in it.

This only shows it need to be managed correctly.

Anyway, I've move on to critizing Dayz:Standalone now due to it taking in about as much money yet still being in a shit state - I played abit over the last week, there is no zombies now? WTF again WHAT THE FUCK. (and it's still a pretty shit engine trying to hard - like Star Citicult)

To many shady money grabs happening in the PC early Alpha/pre-order secene these day - someone need to be prosecuted hard to set some standards. Still to much wild west shit going on.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 21, 2015, 01:28 Kosumo

What, I cant believe that there is no Hellgate:London on that list.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Liquid Nitrogen shot Sep 19, 2015, 17:47 Kosumo

Ahoy, I'm only downloading it as a demo, Yarr

"Poly want's a torrent"

Shut up yo scavgy bird before I drown you in grog

Non- pirate Kosumo says - Well done Japan in beating South Africa in the Rugby World Cup that is now on in England (13th world rank bets 3rd world ranked)

News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
5. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 18, 2015, 18:42 Kosumo

WTF $60 dollars for a internet spaceship for your unreleased, unfinished game --- Chris Roberts you total conman Hang on, this is for a game that is already out!

Can you activate a return to base mode where you get extra afterburners when a white flag appears out of the tail? Inquisitive

News Comments > Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced
3. Re: Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced Sep 18, 2015, 18:34 Kosumo

I still wish there was more credit given to the original "Carball" mod for UT2004. - it's the same fucken game!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Sep 18, 2015, 00:20 Kosumo

harlock wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 15:50:
PHJF wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 12:36:
It doesn't help that the (few) plot pushes in MGSV are ceaselessly diluted among a majority of pointless filler missions.

We're talking 50 total missions, MAYBE ten of which involve real plot development, maybe ten of which are just Subsistence or Stealth or Extreme redos of earlier missions, and the rest being filler. And then the game goes and ends without any resolution, anyways, because it's painfully clear that Konami said enough is enough get this game out the door NOW.

I'm not a hardcore MGS fan, but I still had some pretty moderate expectations going in about narrative development in MGSV and the game still under delivered in a big way. I'd be more upset about it if the game wasn't so fun.

youre telling me it has less plot and story than Far Cry 3? because it doesnt

it has more.. and honestly i could give a rats ass about stories in games because they all fucking suck anyways - even Witcher 3, which id consider the most fleshed out plot in a game in years and years, is pretty mediocre from a strictly narrative sense

if you want narrative, read a book, watch a movie, etc... thats IMHO

Friend me on steam and I'll buy you 'This War of Mine' ;

News Comments > UE4 Infiltrator Demo
2. Re: UE4 Infiltrator Demo Sep 17, 2015, 20:48 Kosumo

Is that because he pulls a grenade luncher out of his arse?

I'm amazed at the bombs that come out of my arse too.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Videos
17. Re: Fallout 4 Videos Sep 17, 2015, 00:47 Kosumo

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 23:32:
GinRummy wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 22:40:
So much hate. Am I the only person who not only enjoyed Wasteland, and then Fallout 1 and 2 back in the day, and also later enjoyed FO3 and New Vegas? Yes, some of the play styles were different and arguing over real time FPS versus turned based isometric is just stupid. Skyrim, Wasteland 2 and Witcher 3 were also played to completion with much enjoyment. FO4 is def gonna be one of my very few full price release day buys, maybe even with the season pass which I don't think I've ever gotten without being on sale.

That's the norm around, a bunch of elitist old timers who can't stand anything new because it's all boils down to "lol consolitis"

What a couple of pathetic post* - can either of you point out where the hateful post are? There was one, maybe two No negivite post - the rest where just comments.

Just cos other people are not glad clapping just cos of some videos does not make them 'hate' post.

"The norm around here" as in your mind (with your stero types). Get a grip. This is a comment section of Bluesnews - deal with the fact that others think diffently than you, and are welcome too - It's mend to be a free world, you should be able to deal with that, your not a child.

So what post numbers where hateful? (apart form 17 which was hatefull of those who are uncapable of dealing with diffening opinions without having a cry)

*I agree with what GinRummy was saying about enjoying all those games, just not starting it with 'so much hate' when there is none.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Videos
11. Re: Fallout 4 Videos Sep 16, 2015, 20:16 Kosumo

harlock wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 18:16:
Grand Cry Fallout Creed!!!

I want to get the 'Arkham Black Ops' DLC as well - should I get the season pass? - Does that come with a concept ship? Beadyeyes

News Comments > Quote of the Day
34. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 15, 2015, 00:48 Kosumo

I'd rather Naughty Dog do a Keef The Thief remake.

Anyone here remember that? I loved that game. Great intro music that I still remember to this day.

Keef the Thief on Amiga (emulated)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2015, 04:58 Kosumo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 00:26:
It's a weird thing to bitch about the drug companies.

I get that they are trying to make more money and therefore pushing drugs on to doctors to prescribe to people..

but at the same time, they're funding most of the research into new drugs and coming up with some miraculous shit (usually not what they were intending, but still).

I mean, I watched my mother survive a lot longer than she would have when her kidneys were failing. It was quite insane to watch someone swell with fluids because their body cannot drain them and then get this concoction which starts the kidneys back up.

So personally, I think the "evil" comes with lots of "good" because it's usually up to the doctor to decide what to follow. Go spend some time in the ICU/Emergency of your local hospital to see what a difference those drugs make.

I hear what you are saying and agree somewhat. But if drug and medical care is so important why not get drug R&D done by governments or with government grants so that there is no profit motive invoiled.

I have found it really sad how many people attacked Obama over his attemps to change the American system of health care.

I know, sound a bit commie but in some cases the good of the whole is more important than the greed of a few.

I live in a country (NZ) that is facing changes to how we, as a country, buy our drugs (which are cheap due to government subsides) if we end up with agreeing to the Transpacific Trade Parenteship deal due to America and their drug companies.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 20:19 Kosumo

Talutha wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 19:00:
I would actually be very interested to see Steam vs Battle.net numbers. I would have to say Battle.net would have to be close if not higher than Steam. Does anyone know anyone that hasn't played World of Warcraft, Hearthstone or Diablo 3? Plus when I played WoW quite a few of my guildmates played on a Mac. In addition to that Hearthstone is on iOS and Android. Would be very interesting numbers to say the least. But like others have said, obviously Blizzard has no reason to use Steam or GoG because their platform is so successful.

I have played none of those 3 games. I'm a long time (30ish years) gamer.

News Comments > Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video
65. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 11, 2015, 06:09 Kosumo

More classic Star Cultizens Lols

Big Ben is the Big man.

57. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 9, 2015, 22:01 Kosumo

Sounds like debate is not tolerated or wanted there. If they have confidence in their product they should welcome it.

Seem they are more happy with an echo chamber of people repeating everything that Chris or his PR people says as gospel. Ben 'weeks, not months' Lensick is like the lead desciple. Does he understand that after 8 weeks, it will become months not weeks?

Anyway, sure there is another ship sale happening soon so the real true believers can collect more.

And how is that idea about sell UCE (space money) for real money after release looking? How foolish is every other MMO for never realising that that's all you have to do. Chris is a Genius!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
21. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 9, 2015, 01:25 Kosumo

Well, as Kxmode as posted in another tread - it looks like CIG have imposed a fingers in the ears polices on their forums.

Nothing to hide, just those nasty trolls ruining the money train for Chris.

53. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 9, 2015, 01:16 Kosumo

Woo, totally cult land now.

Starting to think that Tom Cruse will be in the game as the supmerme leader.

They must be starting to shit big time for them to do this, it's like a red rag to a bull to anyone who was doubting what was going on.

Funny how they had to add two edits to this post. Goes to show how much though they put it to this stuff before they open their mouths.

Kxmode, you have so dodged a bullet by getting your money back, well done.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2015, 18:14 Kosumo

Yep, but with politicians, they at lest get to make the rule for wither what they done is illegal or not. I don't think Chris is going to find he has that power.  

2494 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo