Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Toddles

Real Name Toddles   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kosumo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 2448 (Senior)
User ID 19551

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
7. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 25, 2015, 21:47 Kosumo

... we have been reviewing how to optimize our development process

Translation - "We still have no idea what we are doing, how we are doing it, where we will be doing it or when it will be done. But don't worry, it's going to be the Best Dam Space Sim Ever" .... /Chris, are we still saying that?, ok, ok. .... "also there has never been a better time to buy a reasonable price concept internet pew pew space ship for just $400+ dollars, Get in fast in case we run out! "
Deal Hole

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
93. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 19:36 Kosumo

Also, there are dozens of other expense that CIG would have had to pay for other than just video game artist wages.

They had illfonc on contract for about a year - that must have been a few million at lest. They have to pay for all of the data from the downloads - which seemed to be another 32gigs for each client each patch cos they are clowns who could not patch software with any level of efficentcy. They hired Andy Sheriks mothion capture studio for 6 weeks so Chris Roberts could pretend to be a big shot director although they had rasied money form their backers to build their own one!!! - plus what ever they paid for the actors/preformers. (And food and addcommation for those who need it during this fantastic shoot) How much have they spend on props and set dressing for all of their shows they produce? Travel expenses for Chris to pop form studio to studio (cos it's a greet idea to have studios all over the world). The cost for the Crytek engine itself - I doubt it was given to them for free. How much for Chris Roberts fantastic cult leader outfit he wore at one of there 'cons'. The cost of all those 'cons' (although the did ripoff charge people for tickets). Free food for Ben. The many other contractors they have used. TAX out of that 90 million. Kool-Aid despensers for all the Kool-Aid. So many other cost too.

What they have saved money on is toilet paper because there are plenty of fanbois lining up for that job. Coughing

92. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 19:15 Kosumo

Vall Forran wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 18:15:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 16:04:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 15:17:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:03:
Yeesh, burning through $3.5M a month? That sounds high for a company of 250 people. Assume an average salary of $80K, then another $1000 per person per month for office space, equipment, travel, etc., that's only about $2M ($7700/month/person).

For one I believe $80K is too low. Don't ask me where but I read somewhere (a reputable source) a couple years ago that game producers usually calculate with approximately $120K/employee total cost so that includes your $1K/month for other stuff.
Also, in SC's case, well, who knows what the "Chairman's" monthly salary is? Maybe that's your missing million right there! Wink
Yeah, this article surveyed industry professionals and came up with an average salary of $83K. I tacked on $1000 per month to that per person, but maybe that's low. Let's assume $120K per person per year, everything included. That's $2.5M per month, still far short of $3.5M. The difference is at $2.5M per month they can work for 3 years. At $3.5M only two. I hope Chris has some outside investors lined up.

That's hilarious you think every video game artist gets $120k/year. The $83k/year actually sounds about right. But, you know, feel free to introduce more randomness into this mess of a thread.

What is even more hilarious is that you don't understand they he is not saying that a or every video game artist gets paid $120k/year, what he is agreeing to is that it cost (on average) a company $120k/year to employ someone as a video game artist.

You seem to agree that a video game artist could get $83k/year but do you not understand that it cost a company money to pay for the many other things that it take for that employee to do their job?

i.e. tools, power, rent, maybe health care, materials, ect.

It's often just as much again than what an employee is paid to support them in their job.

Hilarious indeed.

But not as hilarious than Chris Robert's cult of Star Citizen - please try again.

54. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 14:52 Kosumo

harlocks post 59 on this page has most of the letter for those interested that missed it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
116. Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 04:40 Kosumo

Well, I'll follow that up InBlack with a ....

Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:54 Kosumo

"Iíve been down the big company acquisition route twice before and thereís a reason I am making Star Citizen totally independently!"

Which is what?

a)No publisher want anything to do with him.

b)So he can dream all he likes without ever making it happen.

c)Cos his new Church of Christ Roberts answers only to God (Him).

d)He's made so many AAA games in the last ten years, he knows how it's done.

News Comments > Op Ed
109. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 22:45 Kosumo

dsmart wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 22:21:
Well, some sad news to report

Don't fear, I'm sure The Chairman and his Dancing Pal will tell us all about it.

I'm sure its just to improve the fidelity.

Buy a ship.

300+ post in less than a hour

News Comments > Op Ed
105. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 21:55 Kosumo

The way that CIG is sell concept ships for such large amounts of money make me suspect that the group funding it will only get smaller not larger due to those new to the project looking at those who have already 'brought in' and being put off by the size of their investments - most have what they call 'fleets' of ships.

So although you could buy in at just $35, when you see those who are hardcore saying how $400+ for a ship is a good price would you really want to get invovled?

Maybe if the game was out, in a playable form, and was truly really really good, but the catch there is that its not yet close to that (if ever) and will need a lot more money to have a chance to even get near there. But to me - those willing the fork out the money are getting smaller and smaller.

With the problems and delays CIG has had just to get to this point (which anit very much) I can't see the rest of the pieces falling into place with a lot more problems.

The point of interest now is Squadran 42, When will it ship? What state will in be in? Surly if they don't get it out within the next 9-12 months it's game over man, game over. (when it does come out, it needs to deliver from the get go, none of this 'it's still alpha, pre-alpha even' shit that the fanbois roll out about the current efforts. - It needs to be bug free and optimized)

News Comments > Cities: Skylines - After Dark Dawns
11. Re: Cities: Skylines - After Dark Dawns Sep 24, 2015, 18:04 Kosumo

My big worry is that EA is not getting any money for this yet Sim-city .... oh ... hang on ... Never mind.

Not worried at all - these guy deserve the money.

News Comments > Op Ed
98. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 17:52 Kosumo

You must remember that people on those forum are in awe of Christ Roberts and they love his 'Grabby Hands', they dream of him grabbing them.

Plus you must remember as well that ship is over 200m in size - they must have heaps of money to have screens that are big enough to fit it on.

~ Griefers and Hackors and gonna love these peoples tears if the PU ever gets up.

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2015, 00:04 Kosumo

Good news everybody; They have announced the price for up-coming ship sale, the Endeavor! and the crowd tell me it is reasonable if not cheap!

- Base Endeavor (Standard Labs Attached) - $425
- Base Hope (Hospital Layout) - $450
- Base Endeavor (No Pods) - $350

Thank God that Chris Roberts is so caring to give us these so cheap, bless him.

So how many of theses are you gonna buy?

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
48. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 18:02 Kosumo

From a gamer point of view - I'm against it due to it then making the deep discounting of games less likely if they have to pay redudals (a cut) on every copy sold.

This issuie (their pay) should be handled at the front end, not the back end.

As someone pointed out - good voice acting is great to have in a game, but to me it does not sell the game, the gameplay is what sells games.

To turn this round, should publishers get a cut of the money that some actors make from attending 'cons' and paid for signings? After all, if Jake Loydd was not in the Star Wars movie, who would want to see him? (who does anyway?)

I work as a freelance camera man - I've film things for over 20 years, I've seen my work be reused in advertisments, years later. I was paid up front and I knew it did not matter now many people see it, I was paid the same. (I've also produced radio adverts and worked with voice actors)

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
42. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 16:56 Kosumo

Well look where striking got the voice actor of Gordon Freeman - you never hear his work anymore.

Wiseguy

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2015, 03:28 Kosumo

Well Jdreyer, in the last 3 hours they have made $240, then about $530, then $240 again.

Also you have to remember that Chris will want to change and redo those levels that are already done. On the forums people claim that ArcCorp is only 1/3 of what it will be!

I think Chris Roberts has made the first Pay to Lose game due to those who have/are paying heaps will lose the most when it all goes BOOM.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2015, 03:34.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2015, 03:18 Kosumo

But Sugarman, Christ Roberts is an inept fool.

You say that Star Marine will be out next month - lol - it was ment to be out months and months ago. Ben 'the liar' Lensink said two months ago it was only delayed by 'weeks, not months', guess what - he was totally wrong; as in he as been proven wrong.

You sound like a raving fanatic following the words of liars and fools.

Anything they have so far shipped has shit gameplay or none (hello social module), what makes you think that when Star Marines ships it will be anything but a boring FPS with good graphics by complete ship gameplay with no point to it?

You have spent a lot on Christ Roberts internet spaceship have you?

- Death system, boarding system, trade system, mining system, even social system, for fuck sake even the ship control system - none of it is done or even close to being planned properly, look at any 10 for the Cultist and see that even the inept leader answers with wishy washy shit answers showing he has no plan, and even if he did, he would change it 3 times before those making it could even get close to acivhing it.

Chris Roberts does not know how to make modern gameplay, he is so far out of his depth.

Chris Roberts wants to make movies, which is why he blow other peoples money on motion 'performance' and high 'fidelity' shit that looks good but plays like arse.

And he lies. He sell concept ships to an unfinished game for hundreds of dollars. Scum.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 23:25 Kosumo

Sepharo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 23:09:
So... I'm still going to need some help with this part,

"And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back."

Well they claim the tax back against the 'loss' in value, and write it down over many years - then write it off completely.

Then they can sell it and only pay a small amount of tax on whatever they get for it. Meaning that that have got tax credits back to the total cost of the item - them sold it for money of which they keep most of.

i.e. My 4 year old mobile phone, has been written down to a vaule of just $2 - I have had tax credits of over $800 dollars on it - I could go and sell it right now for cash (which is what most thing that have been written down for) and get about $50~80 in my hand.

Can you do that if you earn wages? No, you paid $800 and sold it for $50~80 - you lose $720~750 dollars, if I sell it I gain $48~78 dollars.

I'm no tax expert, I'm not an accountant, and I can't explain things well. But this is a fact. At lest where I am from (New Zealand - a first world country).

Anyway - I bet CIG know how to write things down to make money - it's common to any big company.

edit - By the way I don't think this is right - its just the way things are, which is why there is a rise in those who are now self employed - here is a crude example for some Americans

I done talking taxes - I pay an accountant for that - which she then claim the cost of against my taxes meaning she coast me next to nothing - plus I don't have to do all that work/knowlage.

I also take it that Sepharo is paid wages not self employed.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2015, 23:36.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 23:04 Kosumo

panbient wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 22:26:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:56:
[
And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

What? Please please please explain to me how to make those claims on my next tax assessment. That would be freaking awesome... so long as it's not tax evasion or some kind of fraud. Kind of like how some people kind of blur that line by claiming their personal vehicle is a mandatory corporate expense or something.

Because the idea that somehow spending more money reduces the tax you pay on your income doesn't really make sense to my poor mind (since your amount of income doesn't change whether you save it or spend it). Generally speaking there are limits to the amount of charitable contributions etc that can be claimed as taxable deductions.

I will try to in my drunk state (I don't do it, but my accountant confirms it and others I work with - we are 'freelance' do - and maybe not make money, but don't pay high/total tax like you would if you where on a wage.

so lets say you work as a freelance garden dude - you have a pick up truck that you use to get form job to job and also carry 'dirt' on, you are then able to write off all the gas and a percentage of the cost of the pick up (perchase cost, up keep cost, new tires ect). You also have a car that you sometimes drive to a job with out any dirt but you are still using it to get to the job. You can claim some of the cost of this car as well.

then you own a house that you have a mogage (loan) on, that you park these two cars/pick ups at (in the drive in garage) you can also claim back against tax the cost of this (a percentage of the loan on the house) then you also have a room in you house which you call an office - you can claim this percentage of the house loan back agaist taxes to. Then, since this is called your office, you claim that the news paper delivied everyday to your house is for the office for you and clients to read - you claim this cost back against tax. Your phone/internet - claim its for work - power for both the garage and office plus the toilet (cos you can't have a office without a toilet) - that percent of your total house is claimed against tax.

In the case of you being a gardener - you claim that your own garden is of work concern so claim that percentage of the mortgage back as well. Garden magazins - claim back.

Those two cars/pick ups form earlier that you have loans against, you claims back the interest on the loan as well as depreciation (how things lose value over time) on the value of the asset.

so after all of this your accountant says you get a $40,000 tax credit; so although you have earned $130,000 and have to pay %30 tax ($45,000) you get back $40,000 of that so only paying $5,000 on an income of $150,000. - You may think that's fine, and it is, but just remember that a lot of that $40,000 you claimed back was on thing that now belong to you.

It get to the point where you lose money by not spending more.

It's called a write off.

It's what people who are self employed/own companies do.

If you work for wages, you can't do it (but you boss is).

It's not charitable contributions (which both self employed and wage eraners can claim)

This is my understanding after being a freelance camera operator in New Zealand for 23 years. ymmv

I don't know if this will help you in you next tax assessment - you will need to tell me, us, your accountant more info.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 21:56 Kosumo

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:29:
Sugarman wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 21:22:
People can claim that backers of SC are idiots for spending ridiculous sums of money, yet they fail to see it's a two way street, I know people that buy new cars every couple of years, soon as you drive it off the lot you've lost thousands of dollars, or they spend thousands on a bicycle, buy a pack of cigarettes every day or two, you name it, there's plenty out there people waste huge sums of money on, but it's their money, and if they get enjoyment from spending it that way then who are we to criticize their form of happiness. I've probably spent over 50k in the last 15 years modifying my vehicles, I like fast cars, it's a hobby of mine and it always will be, I'll barely see a return on any of that, it's gone, but it's something I enjoy, to me and many others it's not about the money.

See, the problem with that analogy is when you buy a car or bike or pack of smokes you actually have the thing you paid for. This is people giving piles of money for a thing that doesn't exist beyond a lot of talk over several years. Classically speaking, that's a long con. That's grifting at the highest levels. I'll be amazed if he ever actually has a complete game to ship. And doubly amazed if it's not a hot mess and woefully short of what's promised. It certainly won't be a game worth 100 mil no matter what happens.

And when people buy a new car every two years, yet the fact that it is losing thousands of dollars (or because of that) they are gaining money because most of them will be using it as a TAX write off, claiming the loss back as tax that they then don't have to pay/claim back.

This is how the capitalist system works, those who can afford the new car to start with, never pay for it due to the way they work the tax system. The way to work a company is to have no money but heaps of stuff that you have written off against tax.

Those who are not self employed (I am self employed with an accountant ect), who are working for wages end up paying full tax, while those who are self employed/company owners claim heaps of it back as a tax write off, which end up with you getting into a situation where your accountant starts to tell you to spend more money your else you will not have a tax write off.

It's capitalisium 101 - with those at the top claiming it helps those at the bottom while those at the top drive a new 2015 BMW and those at the bottom still drive their 2003 Toyota corolla that they save for years to pay for. (yet the bottom have really work just as hard as the top).

In two years time the top gets a new 2017 BMW while a cheaper 2015 BMW goes into the market for those at the bottom to save up for years to buy, while the top make money form buying a new BMW.

As for Chris Roberts, he is just scum using other peoples money to enrich himself (and family). At lest, to my knowlarge, Derek Smart has never used other peoples money* for his dreams.

*maybe you could say that with his early acsues game, Line of Defense, but I've not paid any attention to that - like 99.999999% of the world.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 20:06 Kosumo

I don't get why people will think this will kill the space-sim genre? It never died, never will - if anything this show that there is money in it.

This only shows it need to be managed correctly.

Anyway, I've move on to critizing Dayz:Standalone now due to it taking in about as much money yet still being in a shit state - I played abit over the last week, there is no zombies now? WTF again WHAT THE FUCK. (and it's still a pretty shit engine trying to hard - like Star Citicult)

To many shady money grabs happening in the PC early Alpha/pre-order secene these day - someone need to be prosecuted hard to set some standards. Still to much wild west shit going on.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 21, 2015, 01:28 Kosumo

What, I cant believe that there is no Hellgate:London on that list.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Liquid Nitrogen shot Sep 19, 2015, 17:47 Kosumo

Ahoy, I'm only downloading it as a demo, Yarr

"Poly want's a torrent"

Shut up yo scavgy bird before I drown you in grog

Non- pirate Kosumo says - Well done Japan in beating South Africa in the Rugby World Cup that is now on in England (13th world rank bets 3rd world ranked)

2448 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo