IGN: 9.0
Action Trip: 8.5
Gamespot: 8.0
Gamespy: 4 out of 5 stars

DX2 is gonna be great.
Dec 2, 2003, 20:18
DX2 is gonna be great. Dec 2, 2003, 20:18
Dec 2, 2003, 20:18

You're all mad because the reviews are coming out and they aren't saying "SUCKS CAUSE ITS DUMBED DOWN FOR X-BOX!!!!!"

Whats the matter kiddos, those high scores not what you wanted to hear ? You can say all you want about "but those corporate bastards were paid to give it high scores !!" but thats just another lame excuse.

Do yourselves a favor and play through the demo again. It kicks ass.

Demo
Dec 2, 2003, 15:49
Demo Dec 2, 2003, 15:49
Dec 2, 2003, 15:49

Yeah, going by the demo. These reviewers are going by the full game. There's probably a big difference between the two you know. It wouldn't be the first time a good game had a shitty demo and it won't be the last.

Reviews
Dec 2, 2003, 14:32
Reviews Dec 2, 2003, 14:32
Dec 2, 2003, 14:32

So does anyone here think all these reviewers are lying and the game is still a pile of shit ?

IGN: 9.0
Gamespot: 8.0
Action Trip: 8.5
Gamespy: 8.0

"It's up to parents"
Nov 30, 2003, 18:33
"It's up to parents" Nov 30, 2003, 18:33
Nov 30, 2003, 18:33

So you don't think that tackling the problem of bad parenting is more important than the problem of buying violent videogames ? I personally think that educating and somehow (I don't know how, it's not an easy answer) making parents in North America better and more accountable for how they raise their children is more important.

And where does it end ? If a child kills because his warped mind couldn't comprehend what he read in the bible do we get the government to ban that too ? What about drugs ? If record numbers of kids start doing cocaine at 12 years old then who do we blame ? Well, we didn't blame the parents when the kids turned into killers so why blame the parents when they turn into drug addicts ?

The situation is somewhat like the war on drugs. The American government spends billions of dollars on stopping the traffic of drugs into the country (which is basically impossible) instead of focusing on what makes people over here want to do drugs in the first place. It is far easier for the government to deal with the supply rather than asking why there is a demand.

Von Helmet
Nov 30, 2003, 18:17
Von Helmet Nov 30, 2003, 18:17
Nov 30, 2003, 18:17

Well that's a sweeping generalization Von Helmet. I am a young guy and I have been playing very violent video games, watching violent movies, watching violent TV and playing violent games since I was a child.

I'm also a completely normal, functioning person. It's up to parents, not the government to tell kids what they can and can't play with. If any parent can't recognize mental problems in their own child, then they aren't fit to be a parent.

We don't have seperate sections for violent movies at the video store, violent books at the library or a "violent music" section at the music store. It's up to parents to talk to their kids and find out if violence is effecting their minds.

Ratty...
Nov 28, 2003, 14:18
Ratty... Nov 28, 2003, 14:18
Nov 28, 2003, 14:18

I think the best answer to your questions is to name all the games in the last year that I have either personally played or have heard great things about from friends.

Battlefield 1942
Call of Duty
Warcraft 3
Max Payne 2
Knights of the Old Republic
XIII
Dungeon Siege
C & C Generals
Age of Mythology
Morrowind
Homeworld 2
LOTR: Return of the King
Planetside

... and I am sure I am missing a bunch of games that I can't remember. And the point is not whether you enjoyed these games or not but whether alot of other people did. And ALOT of other people did.

Pob...
Nov 27, 2003, 21:37
Pob... Nov 27, 2003, 21:37
Nov 27, 2003, 21:37

Fair has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Are you telling me that you simply cannot see the possibility that the demo was a rush job and that is ONE of the reasons many people hated it ? You can honestly tell me that isn't possible ?

Bashing the demo is fine. I have no problem with that. It's when people bash the full game that I have to say they are judging something with having learned VERY little hard facts. That to me is the definition of a person being ignorant.

I think if we look at the whole thing objectively we can pretty easily see that the full game COULD be great just as it COULD be awful. So why judge before we know ? I'm not going to.

I urge anyone with any interest in this whole thing to read this paragraph written by a fan of DX1 like me and you:

-------------
Since people ask, a few notes about the response to the demo. Firstly, whether you like it or not, it's a terrible representation of what makes DX interesting. A lot of the impressions based on it being "shallow" are based upon it being shown out of context rather than anything else. You are given a single set of abilities and left to play, rather than creating a character of your own. This makes - for example - hacking seem incredibly simple, when in actual fact you're in possession of a level 3 jack augmentation. This means that hacking is incredibly quick - as quick as it's possible for the game to be. Stealth is underplayed. In fact, combat complexity is underplayed due to the lack of weapon mods and similar - it certainly doesn't explain the single-reservoir ammunition well at all.
--------------

Now whether you agree with him or not you have to admit that there is a very good chance he is absolutley right.

This is for Hunterzyph
Nov 27, 2003, 20:14
This is for Hunterzyph Nov 27, 2003, 20:14
Nov 27, 2003, 20:14

You are completely right that the purpose of a demo SHOULD be to show people what is best about the game. That does not in any way mean that that WILL be what the demo does. There is a big difference there. They screwed up the demo plain and simple. Whether alot of these screwups make it to the final game we have yet to see. And personally I believe that most information points to the final game being much different. This is debatable however because at this point no one knows. I have however read countless previews (from both sites like IGN/Gamespot/Eurogamer and also on personal websites) giving the game glowing praise for things that the demo does poorly. What does this mean ? Either the previewers are lying OR the demo isn't an accurate representation of the full game.

Like I said though I agree that showing people the best part of the game SHOULD be a demos main goal. That doesn't mean it will be though. Ion Storm clearly screwed up the demo by not testing and probably rushing it out the door.

It's no different than a musician releasing an unmastered, unfinished song from his new album. Yes, it is a very stupid thing to do, but no it doesn't mean that's what the finished product will be like.

Thats my opinion anyways.

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older