Total Posts
3338 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3338 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    167  ] Older

Re: Evening Consolidation
Jun 12, 2020, 09:51
Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2020, 09:51
Jun 12, 2020, 09:51

Watched the whole thing live streamed yesterday. It was kind of a yawner to me. Most of the games don't float my boat.

That said... I am glad they are coming out with a media remote from the get go.

I will upgrade... but mainly because my PS4 is on it's last leg... overheats, locks up, etc... It was purchased at launch so I'm not super surprised.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jun 5, 2020, 18:40
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 5, 2020, 18:40
Jun 5, 2020, 18:40

AMD hints that 4GB gaming GPUs are not that relevant these days, VRAM demands continue to increase for AAA games.

1080p needing more than 4GB depends on wether or not you are trying to use settings like "ultra high" on textures that was meant for higher resolutions. If you use the relevant texture size resolution to 1080p, one really shouldn't need more than 4GB.

But since I have a GTX 1070 with 8GB on a 1080p monitor... I am a hypocrite that doesn't pay attention to adjusting the settings relevant to 1080p in a game.

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam
Jun 5, 2020, 13:59
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:59
Jun 5, 2020, 13:59

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:27:
If you're running Windows 10 you have no idea of what's running in the background. If things running in the background are an issue than I don't know what to say.

I don't run Windows 10. Gaming Rig is still Windows 7 at this point, and not past SP1 in updates so there's no injected spyware from later updates. I mostly keep my gaming rig offline.

Other machines that do run Windows... running Server 2019 Standard as a workstation OS, with as much disabled and blocked as possible (Yes, even windows server runs consumer crap). Future OS for Gaming rig will probably be Server, because it has the least amount of crap to uninstall / block.

And, of course, my main machine is Linux which I'm on right now working from home. (Currently Manjaro, but I switch distros every couple of years)

Jun 5, 2020, 13:19
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:19
Jun 5, 2020, 13:19

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:14:
Not only can you play Steam sp games in Off-Line mode, you can play them without any internet connection at all.
I doubt steam, in Off-Line mode, is sending very much data on my air gapped PC.

I disconnect my PC too. But that doesn't stop the requirement for it to be up and running just to launch your game. Again... at that point it is garbage running in the background that I don't want running.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:17
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:17
Jun 5, 2020, 13:17

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:03:
Yup.
I'm replying not to keep the conversation going or get the last word, just to make sure you know I'm not disagreeing with you or criticizing you.

I mean, I guess I respectfully disagree with you about how important it is, but you're not calling for the downfall of society, just options, haha. Options are great for when we have different personal opinions on how important things are.

Not taking your replies as negative at all.

I'm just old fashioned when it comes to my privacy, unlike younger generations that take it for granted in the cell-phone age. I guess it's because I'm a big fan of The Prisoner from the late 60's and of course the lessons to be learned from Orwell's 1984.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:48
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 12:48
Jun 5, 2020, 12:48

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 12:34:
You're perfectly allowed to be anal. I pointed out that it wasn't advertising not so you think it's fine, just so those that only care about advertising do.

Others care about more than just advertising. It's your right. I'd argue, though, that it's also a right of someone making a game to want that as part of the transaction, and therefore a right to say no to their product and look elsewhere. As you say, you do this frequently in deciding what and where to buy.

Telemetry or Advertising tracking... they are both bad when I do not give my permission, or am forced to give permission against my will. It's mainly about control and privacy. I am very discriminating about what I allow my PC to transmit and what I will not allow.

If there was an opt-out, perhaps I would allow it for certain buggy software that need telemetry reporting... but to force it down my throat... not gonna happen.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:30
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 12:30
Jun 5, 2020, 12:30

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:44:
Okay, I agree. And...? What exactly is it you think Steam might be doing to you or with some amount of data that isn't being displayed in your account? Has someone caught the Steam application when you are using it in off-line mode sending significant amounts of data? Or is it just doing a quick validation check as GOG does, that you have actually purchased the game you are launching? Listen, I dislike "tracking" too (who doesn't?) it is my main complaint with Win10. Personally, I think the tracking Win10 does borders on criminal. But I haven't seen or heard any evidence of significant and unseemly tracking by the off-line Steam application. If that evidence exists, I'd like to read it. Heck, I might join you and start railing against Steam myself.

At that point it's just garbage running in the background that I don't want running. I'm anal about that, I guess.

As for GOG... there is no check. There is nothing running. I do not even have galaxy installed. I always download the "Offline Backup Game Installers"... which is not associated with galaxy or any other launcher. It installs the game to a directory and makes a shortcut on your desktop and that's it. You double click the shortcut and the game launches. Nothing else running in the background.

Jun 5, 2020, 10:36
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 10:36
Jun 5, 2020, 10:36

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:19:
You do know you can play games off-line with Steam, right? I have almost 700 hours in my NMS save, but Steam thinks I've played for 30 minutes. I've gone months of gaming through Steam without ever going on-line. And when I'm done with the game session, I exit the Steam process. If you are playing an on-line game, well... someone is tracking you, not only Steam.

Even offline, the steam app is running. It has to be used to launch the game... signed in or not.

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:25:
No one is monitoring your in game play for advertising. They're doing it to see what gun you're using, where you're dying, what enemies you're struggling with, what secrets you're not seeing, where your frame rate is dropping, so they can learn.

I get this is still bad to many, but no advertiser cares that you used the shotgun more than the rocket launcher.

Doesn't matter what data they are getting. I'm in control of my PC, not them. Maybe I don't want to give any telemetry. I strongly object to phoning home against my will... regardless of the data collected. I actively block stuff like that from Windows etc., because... well fschk them.... they don't have my permission, and no... I don't care what the EULA says. Being forced to click "ok "doesn't mean I agree. They don't respect my desire not to participate in their data collection... I won't respect their EULA. It's that simple.

Jun 5, 2020, 09:42
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 09:42
Jun 5, 2020, 09:42

Jonjonz wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 06:27:
It takes so little to trigger the Steam haters these days.

I don't hate Steam per se... I just hate the DRM Launcher. I never liked it... even when Steam first came out. I don't want squat running in the background, sucking up system resources, and data mining me. I just want to play the game I paid for.

I'm not a hypocrite... I won't run GOG galaxy either, while that's technically not DRM since it's not required to utilize your purchase... it is still garbage running in the background. Thankfully it IS optional.

Jun 4, 2020, 20:05
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 4, 2020, 20:05
Jun 4, 2020, 20:05

Darks wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 19:33:
Why bother if your going to force everyone to still launch Origin to play the game. Its so fucking pointless for them to do this.

Ayup. I'll never make an Origin account.

Impulse bought 23 games on my wishlist from GOG last week, and 3 the week before with the "summer sale".

I'm getting even closer to being Steam / DRM free... and the few games that will probably never be steamless... I'll get a no steam crack, eventually.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jun 4, 2020, 14:59
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 14:59
Jun 4, 2020, 14:59

Jivaro wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 13:16:
Thanks for the tips wtf_man. I feel like some of you more technical folks have been saying Chrome incognito was not effective around here for some time so I am not surprised.

Incognito just doesn't save your cached data / history / cookies /etc. to the PC. If you surf 50 websites in a row while using incognito, that doesn't stop the on the fly tracking per web site.... you are still building a track profile.

All incognito stops... is seeing anything / tracking since the last time you closed the browser.
Also if the browser is closed, it also stops someone from physically looking up your browsing cached data / history / cookies /etc. since it was never written to disk. (A snoopy spouse, company forensics investigation, law enforcement, physically looking at browser files on your computer, for instance).

The reason paywalls detect / reject incognito is because they can't permanently write to disk that you are a paid customer.... so they have no way of checking whatever file that is supposed to be written (Probably a persistent cookie).

Jun 4, 2020, 13:37
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 13:37
Jun 4, 2020, 13:37

Yeah sorry about that missed step... I'm so used to turning that on every time I add chrome or firefox to something it became muscle memory.

What you want to show up is the "Dynamic Filtering Rules" that RedEye's link shows.

Make sure you click the padlock to save your settings globally and per web site (unless not a frequent web site... no need to bog with a huge list of exceptions)

What happens to Silicon Valley when its tech workers flee?
Jun 4, 2020, 13:01
What happens to Silicon Valley when its tech workers flee? Jun 4, 2020, 13:01
Jun 4, 2020, 13:01

Uh... pretty sure it's more than tech workers fleeing California. The Fsched up thing is they flee to my state and vote for the same anti-business crap that destroyed California.... and yes... our housing prices are getting stupid. Good for me when I'm ready to retire and flee a Californicated state... bad for those who want to move here and buy a house, cuz only fleeing Californians can afford one.

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed
Jun 4, 2020, 12:19
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed Jun 4, 2020, 12:19
Jun 4, 2020, 12:19

corefracture wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 12:09:
Actually it did quite well I was on the development team for Reckoning. A common misconception was that Reckoning was developed under 38 Studios and Curt using the infamous RI loan. This is *NOT* the case. All that loan money and 38 Studios work was on their MMO. Reckoning was always a standalone RPG project developed solely at Big Huge Games using publisher funds from EA.

Well thanks for the clarification on EA funding.

I thought the RI loan was for both, and because the standalone didn't sell well enough (from what I remember) and the MMO development was mismanaged, was why the MMO failed.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:12
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 12:12
Jun 4, 2020, 12:12

Use ublock origin... (have the more tab open) set GLOBAL (left Column) 3rd party scripts and 3rd party frames to blocked. Plus use the filter lists that you want (Easy List Etc). I also block remote fonts but that's up to you.

Frequently visited web sites: set Website (Right Column) 3rd party scripts and 3rd party frames to NOOP. This will override the GLOBAL setting and allow most of the scripts needed to fully load some more complex web sites, while your favorite filter list still blocks some ads, trackers and other annoyances.

Non-frequently visited websites... if you are in a hurry you can do the same NOOP settings and not save them. If you are super annoyed with what comes up (Like fricken video players going off in the middle of the content) then don't NOOP everything... take a guess at NOOPing the minimal to get the site to render... Usually some same domain, child domain, a CDN, and/or googleapis. (I actually do this for most fequently visited sites too, depending on the annoyances... but it takes time an patience to get everything right).

What's all this do?

Well it won't get you past pay walls... but it will drastically reduce the tracking capabilities and annoyances.... and gives you more control / easier control than noscript. (All in one extension)

Tracking pisses me off more than ads. If I set my browser to "Do not Track" I fsching mean it. Too bad we don't have privacy laws that enforce that option and force web sites to honor it.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2020, 12:22.

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed
Jun 4, 2020, 11:51
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed Jun 4, 2020, 11:51
Jun 4, 2020, 11:51

The hit RPG returns!

Really? I thought this bombed, which is why Rhode Island sued the shiznit out of Curt Schilling.

Re: etc.
Jun 2, 2020, 12:31
Re: etc. Jun 2, 2020, 12:31
Jun 2, 2020, 12:31

Unfortunately Warren hasn't done Anything worthwhile since Deus Ex (2000). I don't count "Epic Mickey" (2010), and Underworld Ascendant (2018) was utter crap.

I fear Warren, like Richard Garriott, is washed up.... so don't get your hopes too high.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jun 1, 2020, 16:49
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2020, 16:49
Jun 1, 2020, 16:49

Korrd wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 14:27:
Maybe you could explain how ignorance might be the reason...

Regardless, it seems like pride to me. Sweeney claimed the PS5's throughput can't be done on a PC at any price, which is simply false. You don't even need enterprise class hardware to do it.

Pretty sure Sony stated that it has more to do with HOW the data streams to and from the SSD have been optimized between the CPU / RAM / Video Card / etc. than it has to do with the SSD's actual "hardware specifications."

So technically... If Sony is to be believed... you CAN'T do that on a PC. It would take custom hardware and a custom OS (or, at least, a highly modified one) to deliver the same thing.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2020, 17:02.

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised
Jun 1, 2020, 12:40
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 12:40
Jun 1, 2020, 12:40

theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 10:54:
Games have to be made for streaming... publishers and devs cannot just lazily port over console or PC titles and expect it to work. "Broaden your audience" is to make gamers out of casuals or non-gamers, and those people will be attracted to gorgeous graphics, better storytelling, and gameplay that does not hinge on reaction time... all of that is possible with gaming by stream, and can play to the strengths of the service.

This. Plus most games I enjoy, and I think most PC gamers in general, wouldn't put up with the latency, so streaming several genres will never become mainstream. (No pun intended)

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Jun 1, 2020, 12:01
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 1, 2020, 12:01
Jun 1, 2020, 12:01

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 10:25:
Between Paint.net and open source equivalents like Gimp (Photoshop), Darktable (Lightroom), DaVinci Resolve (Adobe Premiere)
I won't be buying any photo software ... Ever

Thanks wtf_man

Yeah... I forgot that all three of those have Windows releases as well.
There's also tons of tutorials on Youtube for all of those products.

Darktable:
Understanding Darktable

Davinci Resolve:
Davinci Resolve 16 Tutorials

Gimp:
Gimp Tutorials
3338 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    167  ] Older