Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 3183 (Veteran)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide
8. Re: Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide Feb 12, 2019, 18:26 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 13:12:
Given how badly OtherSide hosed up Underworld Ascendant, I'm still quite worried about this...

Ditto.

However, Underworld Ascendant was crowd funded and poorly funded.

System Shock 3 is not crowd funded, was a $12 million dollar publishing deal, has Warren Spector and a different team working on it. We'll see if Warren has any mojo left, or if he's washed up with the other former big name developers. "Epic Mickey" and being credited on Underworld Ascendant, doesn't give me a huge amount of faith.

I think Underworld Ascendant flat ran out of money. That, and the art style was a poor choice, but I also think they did that to save money.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 8, 2019, 12:24 wtf_man

Germany just deleted Facebook.

I love it! I've always been miffed that facebook and others can track you (without countermeasures), even if you don't have an account or use their services. That definitely needs to be illegal.

Microsoft really doesn’t want you to use Internet Explorer anymore.

Well... they won't put edge on the LTSB/LTSC builds nor the Server OS's (Not that I'd use edge anyway)... so they need to make up their damn minds and not bundle IE at all on any build.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 8, 2019, 12:01 wtf_man

theglaze wrote on Feb 8, 2019, 11:10:
Are the Radeon VII, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti bad cards? No. The problem here is pricing.

Good. Pricing is not a constant but a variable. As we choose not to buy, the price will come down as NVIDIA/AMD have to move stock to make room for the next cards. It's a cycle. Everyone calm down.

The cycle itself isn't the complaint.

The huge price hike within the cycle is. It's abnormaly high compared to previous cycles. (Although the last generation/cycle was a big bump too... so two huge hikes in a row)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 7, 2019, 16:43 wtf_man

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 14:51:
Hrm I'd like to read that article but they block my adblock, so no luck, unfortunately .

Yeah, I ran into that too. Take back control of YOUR browser with userscripts!

Download the "Tampermonkey" extension and the REEK Anti-Adblock killer user script

Follow the instructions to integrate with your ad blocker. (I use ublock Origin)

Works great! And there's a ton of user scripts out there to enhance your browsing experience more than any one extension.

Another option is to install the "nano defender" extension and integrate with uBlock Origin. However that is limited to anti-adblocking only, and only works on two adblcockers (ublock origina dn nano adblock).

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2019, 17:35.

News Comments > Metro Exodus CGI Trailer
9. Re: Metro Exodus CGI Trailer Feb 6, 2019, 17:32 wtf_man

aka_STEVE wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 15:20:
Yep, a real shame it's running Denuvo in it & is now on Epic site.

I was really looking forward to this but I also will wait until GOG.com gets it & it has the Denuvo DRM stripped out.

I have enjoyed the first two games... but not enough to purchase at launch... so I will also wait until it is on GOG.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Band of Bastards DLC Delivered
1. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Band of Bastards DLC Delivered Feb 6, 2019, 10:45 wtf_man

Is this game patched enough yet?

I backed this on kickstarter but refused to spoil my experience with the overwhelmingly reported bugs. Plus I still have a backlog of games to play in the meantime.

News Comments > Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC
69. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 20:01 wtf_man

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share.

This.

GOG, and if I'm desperate because it's not on GOG or probably won't be for many years... Steam.

No more bullshit DRM launchers.

I've actually converted a huge chunk of my Steam games to GOG.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2019, 15:49 wtf_man

If these "static image ads", while I pause a video, show up on my $12 "no-ads" subscription... there will be an instant cancellation.

That said... on the lower subscription rate that plays a video ad before and after the show... yeah I rather that they do this than up the prices, or have mor vieo ads at the beginning and end of a show.

News Comments > ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Takes Off
3. Re: ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Takes Off Feb 1, 2019, 13:43 wtf_man

Consolitis... how unfortunate... I was seriously considering picking this one up.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 31, 2019, 12:51 wtf_man

Unforunately only the title would apply to that Chris Roberts Joke.

The article is actually about an endgadget journalist being imporsonated to write articles on endgaget (which never happen, since th guy is a fake) and spread the word about a kickstarter project for a daily fee, as a "marketing consultant".

So, it's basically somone robbing kickstarter project starters... not the pledge participants.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 30, 2019, 17:04 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 14:40:
His point went over your head entirely. The US has been a force against democracy for a very long time now. They're constantly meddling in other countries affairs. Everything from blackmail and sanctions to outright coups and assassinations and war to get their way. So it's entirely hypocritical they're complaining about finally getting - just a small taste so far - of their own medicine.

Also, "influencing" from outside entities on US elections has been going on for a long time. It's only just expanded since the Internet.

...and it's never going away.

So, take what info you get from the Media and the Internet with a HUGE grain of salt.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2019, 14:04 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 12:57:
Windows 10, slowly adding everything back that was stripped from Windows 7 for no reason.

www.linux.com

Yup. Unfortunately they will keep trying to get you to use their store and cloud services... on top of spy on you like ios and android.

Pretty much why my gaming rig has the wireless nic disabled by default. Only time it is enabled is to download a new game or patch something.

My main "internet / everything else" machine is an old 27" iMac running Mint 18.1. (Refused to upgrade osx after Mavericks - the last osx you could customize your desktop)

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2019, 10:36 wtf_man

Microsoft's Bing search engine inaccessible in China
...Chinese authorities operate a firewall that blocks many US tech platforms, including Facebook and Twitter.

Kind of wish the US would do that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month
27. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 24, 2019, 10:00 wtf_man

Kosumo wrote on Jan 23, 2019, 21:52:
Chris Roberts does not need to disappear to South American hookers, he is married to Sandi "Mae Demming" Gardiner.

You know, that women who was about during the kickstarter, but was not 'maybe' Chris Roberts wife despite Derek Smart saying she was.

No deception at all ... this is all normal.

ITS A SCAM.

ROFL

70. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 19:00 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2019, 17:11:
Make a flat tax of 40% of all income over $100,000 per individual, no deductions.

A bit high... but I already advocated a flat tax.

64. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 14:06 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2019, 12:16:
But you've shifted. You've argued raising taxes are bad, then said it would be on you (she's been pretty clear she wouldn't impact the middle class, but we can argue about what the middle class is), and now it's because there'd be loopholes (she's talking about killing these loopholes.)

Lots of politicians have talked about closing the loop holes.
None have done so.
Lots of politicians have sworn to only tax the rich more and not affect the middles class. So far, that hasn't happened either.

I don't trust anyone that says "raise taxes on the rich" when I know that is not what will really happen.

Also... I didn't "shift" as much as you think... I totally disagree with both raising taxes AND getting rid of the loop holes, espcecially at the tax rates that OC wants to impose. One or the other... not both. I prefer the loop holes being closed as to raising taxes at an astronomical rate.

That said... in a perfect world the government wouldn't be spending more than it takes in, and it wouldn't be spending money on a lot of stupid stuff. ("stupid stuff" is subjective)... All of Washington is to blame for that.... not just one party or another.

62. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 11:07 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 20:12:
The trolling I was referring to is asinine statements like "Well... why don't you give away "6 or so's of families of 4's" of your salary."

That wasn't intended as trolling.
I don't understand the concept of "if someone has it, it's ok to just take it"... I equate that to stealing. If I suddenly got rich... doesn't matter how... instant business success, lotto, inheritance, whatever, that doesn't give society the right to just grab 70%-90% of it. To me, THAT is asinine.

That said, Mr. Beamer is in favor of Eiesenhower tax brackets.... which means everyone pays a lot more, not just the rich. So, I equate that to he thinks it is ok to give a majority of his earnings to the governent. More power to him. Please leave me out of that.

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 20:36:
1) And, weirdly, she's not proposing raising taxes on you.

Unfortunately that's bullshit and we all know it. When the left raises taxes... it's on EVERYONE. The Rich find a few more "tax shelters" and still don't pay their bracket...and the Middle class gets screwed... AGAIN. We can't afford to make a ton of investments that shelter us from taxes, like the rich can (which makes them more money in the long run).

I'm not debating that the rich aren't paying their fair share. I'm debating that the deck is stacked aginst the Middle Class, and just raising taxes is not the answer, because it always affects MORE than the rich.

How about we get rid of deductions for the two highest brackets?

No need to charge them 70% when they end up still only paying 15%. 37% with no deductions actually sounds reasonble, and doesn't appear like the government is trying to rape folks "that have it".

---------

Just want to say this has been an intersting debate and I am glad it has remained relatively civil.

41. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:47 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 19:11:
@Beamer
You're being trolled.
But you probably already guessed that.

If you are referring to me, please explain why you think I am trolling him, because that is not my intent.

37. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 18:38 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 17:13:
Anyway, "merit" is the dumbest concept possible, and an absolute weasel-word.

WTF_Man, you're not making $10MM a year. Khloe Kardashian, meanwhile, is earning somewhere between $15MM and $20MM a year.

Are you dumber than Khloe Kardashian, or lazier than her? I mean, clearly she merits exponentially more than you make.

Apparently she does merit that. I can't help a world we live in has enough dumb lemmings that make her poular enough to warrant that kind of money. And there is an industry stupid enough to pay her for that while they rake in even more on advertising and such. It's called reality... and sometimes folks rate more for the dumbest reasons in the world, unfortunatly. However, a majority of us actually EARN our living... and that is really where "merit" comes into play.

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 17:13:
For me personally, I make as much as 8 or so average families of 4. Am I smarter than them? I'd guess that, within that 64 people, some are at least as smart. Do I work harder than them? I dunno, look at my posting history today and see how frequently I've been here. Your average construction worker definitely works harder than I do. Maybe something else happened in my life, other than just smarts or how hard I work, to get me where I am.

As do all the other people who basically fall into money, likely from inheritance. Because the American Dream isn't really about being an entrepreneur, as few of the 0.1% are, but about inheriting money. Takes money to make money!

Well... why don't you give away "6 or so's of families of 4's" of your salary. Not exactly knowing what you consider the salary for an average family of 4.... but it sounds like you make a hell of alot more than I do... and I'd certainly like to keep most of what I earned.

If you don't want to keep what you've earned... then give it away... but don't force the rest of us to give it away. It's very easy to give someone elses money away.

33. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 16:53 wtf_man

Squirmer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 16:29:

Median US income:
Asian: 81k
White: 68K
Hispanic: 50K
Black 40K

"Some people are just better" starts to sound a little awkward...

Why are you even brining race into this? We're talking anyone based on his or her own merits.

Most people push themselves to make their lives better. It isn't handed to them. If anything, you should be celebrating all of those that pushed themselves to work themselves out of poverty (regardless of color).

If you want to "stereotype" the reasons regarding your list for those "racial statistics"... I would guess that Asians would be thought of as the most diciplined of the group, hence higher acheivers in general. That doesn't take away from the MVP black athelete that has a multi-million dollar a year contract. It's just a different form of acheivment and tougher to accomplish since not everyone can be MVPs.

So, now are we all going to start yelling "Asian Privelidge"???

3183 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo