Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2955 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2017, 10:54 wtf_man

The forgotten API: just what is going on with DX12

It doesn't help that the anticipated performance boost vs. DX11 is no where near as claimed... even on AMD, which actually shows some improvement over DX11, vs. nVidia.

Vulkan is probably the future since it covers more than Windows devices.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
28. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 14:57 wtf_man

Dacron wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 12:00:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 08:57:
A remake of the original in a with a modern engine would be nice.

Not brand new triple AAA looking, but the most complete one yet, free on steam (if you own deus ex) -

Deus Ex Revision

I have the GOG version. That hasn't been released for GOG yet. I also have the New Vision portion of the mod installed.

That said... I was meaning an Unreal 3 or 4 remake. Pretty sure the original uses Unreal 1.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
4. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 08:57 wtf_man

A remake of the original in a with a modern engine would be nice.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2017, 12:10 wtf_man

Rolleyes  

News Comments > Prey in May
19. Re: Prey in May Jan 26, 2017, 14:57 wtf_man

Hump wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 01:32:
Arkane is a talented studio but this isn't a PREY title. This is System Shock

That's not a bad thing.

Arkane has always tried to be inspired by Looking Glass titles.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
14. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 10:57 wtf_man

Enterprise LTSB is definitely the best option for a privacy based install (Cortana disabled by default, no candy crush or unnecessary extra store apps, etc.)... but even with all the GPO's that disable phoning home, there are still settings that GPO's don't address.

There are extra settings that GPO's will not handle:

Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services

And after going through all that work... you still may need to wireshark the machine and firewall block some connections. (Assuming you want everything off, including windows updates, activation checks, certificate root checks, etc.)

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2017, 11:23.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 16, 2017, 11:32 wtf_man

There is no Half Life 3 / Episode 3, and there probably won't ever be one.

Like that recent article from the interview with the ex-valve employee said... Basically any attempt to create and release an episode 3 or full Half-Life 3 wouldn't be able to live up to the hype and damage Valve's reputation worse than not releasing one at all. (Like Duke Nuke 'Em did)

They just need to come out and say it, and get it over with.

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
57. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 14:50 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 13:53:
I see encrypted connections on our WSUS server outbound all the time so check that.

A WSUS server would have to contact MS.

A server without that role would not. Windows update on a regular server, configured to a local WSUS, server should be local traffic only (For Updates).

But like I said... I disabled Updates completely when I performed my experiment.

As for a CRL check... not sure why an idle machine would need to do that very often. Usually CRLs checks are kicked off by browsing.

53. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 13:39 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 11:10:

What ports? What IPs? I've done my own traffic audits before and the only encrypted connections that I couldn't explain were related to WSUS and Bing.

I don't have the trace available to me right this second... however they were all registered to Microsoft. WSUS is local traffic which would have been filtered out... I only traced what was going to the outside network. That said... I had Windows Updates turned off anyway. I suspect some of it was activation check... however that is only supposed to happen every 7 days or so, when activated. I didn't dig too deep, but I was dismayed that a Server os was phoning home when it shouldn't.

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 11:10:
It's not an argument, it's reality. That's just how the software world is now.

I don't accept that. Just because the industry is going balls out on it and there are no laws to stop them yet, doesn't make it right. All datamining should be optional... and opt in. period. If people get *reasonable* price breaks on opting in and don't care... so be it. At least the rest of us don't have to opt in. EU is starting to crack down on this.... something I wish the US would do as well.

43. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 09:29 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 09:06:
You linked an outdated headline but did you read the article? What little information that is transmitted is often related to services and can be controlled by the user. The stuff that wasn't is often just bugs, some of it is already closed off even. For example, from the article:

Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. While again the requests contain no identifying information, it's not clear why they're occurring at all, given that they have no corresponding tile.

Actually even if you turn everything off with privacy tools and microsoft's own blog, it still phones home quite a bit. Slap wireshark on server 2016 (which shouldn't phone home at all with everything off),and filter out your local network, then leave it idle overnight. The next day's trace will surprise you. Most of it is encrypted, so you don't know what it's doing. Of course I'm also filtering out known things like NTP, etc. in the trace.

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 09:06:
People who say they don't care what their phone has on them are insane. Your phone can track your location in real time, you put a lot more important private info into your phone and you also expose your social contacts to the same data collection. Google and Apple are mining this shit to hell and back, not to mention all of the app companies. They're also selling it. They give you far less choice about it than Microsoft.

I don't buy that argument, sorry. "So and so does it so we can too" is BS. I go out of my way to minimize that with my phone. Pretty much only the carrier can track me, and any purchases I make in a store when I make them... which is super rare. I SHOULDN'T have to do that on my PC. Period.

While I support Windows 10 in the Enterprise, I only run Windows 7 SP1 (No Updates to get telemetry) at home, and rely on my permitter security appliances which are enterprise grade for my protection. Granted, most people don't have that at home, but I guarantee my machines are more secure than the latest patched Windows.

/shrug

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 15:36 wtf_man

But Maahrreeahh... I had to make an Ahhnorld Joonyah!!! I'm the Spehrrminatore!!!  

News Comments > Crytek Payroll Issues?
17. Re: Crytek Payroll Issues? Dec 12, 2016, 09:24 wtf_man

The rumor from the previous financial issues is what I was hinting at.  

News Comments > Crytek Payroll Issues?
6. Re: Crytek Payroll Issues? Dec 11, 2016, 18:38 wtf_man

Maybe Chris Roberts and Star Citizen will bail them out. Inquisitive

... Popcorn

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 12:38 wtf_man

Storage Real-World Performance: NVMe vs. SATA vs. HDD - TechSpot

Good general info and video comparison. Sometimes tech articles and charts just don't really convey the differences.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Nov 16, 2016, 15:23 wtf_man

I loved it when I played it for the first year or so.

But typical MMO stuff started turning me off... constantly extending the caps, revamping / nerfing the skills, etc. etc. Stuff you don't have to deal with in a Single player game.

I got one Character to Max VL14 (At the time), and two others to Level 50. After a VL16 extension and a round of nerfs... I lost interest to go through the same content, and had no intention of buying expansion DLCs.

So, if you never played it before... it will offer some good times. Just don't expect to be in a cult classic like Everquest or any oterh MMO's you may have spent multiple years in.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 09:56 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 21:35:
Why not just include a sensor that turns the noise on or honks or what have you when it detects a pedestrian on the road? I think one of the big draws of electricars is their silence. They're the ninjas of cars.

Shhh

Or, you know, the driver could just stick his/her head out the window and go "vroom vroom".

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2016, 15:38 wtf_man

I'm speaking from a perspective of a company going after folks for license violations.

Companies generally do not wast attorney fee money going after individuals (can't squeeze blood out of a turnip)... they usually go after another company for bulk violations (bought 20 licenses and are using 40, etc.).

Which is what makes them generally unenforceable.

Idiots like the RIAA and MPAA suing individuals for copyright infringement... completely different story.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2016, 23:46 wtf_man

EULA's are not enforceable
EULA's have tons of stuff that people "don't agree with", yet again a company ties to ram their terms down your throat.
EULA's are mostly so one can't sue the company. While there are instances where a company goes after license violations... it's usually against other companies that are in bulk violation, not individuals. (There's no money in suing individual consumers)

So... I can't sue a company from collecting telemetry against my wishes... but they really can't sue me for taking measures to block said telemetry.

It's just a pain in the ass.

We need to have privacy laws that makes all data collection "opt in"... not educate on useless EULA's.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2016, 20:30 wtf_man

descender wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 20:12:
If you don't want telemetric data sent back to manufacturers and developers you should probably just get off the internet at this point.

Why?

Why must I be forced to participate in something I don't wish to? Why is there no opt-out?
Why must I give my consent for my machine to transmit ANY data to a company without my scrutiny?

Maybe I don't give a shit whether the data is privacy oriented or not... taking data without my permission or forcing me to agree to allow data submission, basically pisses me off and makes me want to do the opposite... and I do go out of my way to block as much telemetry transmission as possible.

ASK... don't force.

/shrug

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 3, 2016, 09:53 wtf_man

Hackers never can be stopped. If it was written by man it can be exploited by man.

The cat and mouse game with Copy protection and later DRM proves that.

One can have the most hardened OS in the world, and massive layers of security devices in between the Host and the perimeter network, and penetration is STILL a possibility.

There is no "Silver Bullet" to Cyber security. It's a permanent cat and mouse game. All one can do is make it as difficult as possible... and proactively continue to make it as difficult as possible. Which takes a lot of money as new thwarting tech is constantly available.

2955 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo