Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2902 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12
13. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12 Sep 8, 2016, 13:14 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 12:31:
I just refinished HR. It was really just Detroit and Hong Kong, no? Other places were 1 level.

I did not like it nearly as much as the first time. Maybe because I ghosted the whole time and just kept walking behind guards, or maybe because there's nothing this game did that Dishonored didn't come along and do better.

I'm not far enough into HR to remember... but at least Hong Kong was multi-mission... in MD everything non-1-mission happens in Prague, and there's only 3 "1-mission" areas. I think there were a couple more in HR.

You really like Dishonored better? I didn't think it was all that great, but to each their own!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12
11. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12 Sep 8, 2016, 12:26 wtf_man

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 11:39:
21 hours from start to finish, including the side missions. Not too shabby, but because of the ending the game feels incomplete. If the promised free DLC that is supposed to come at the end of the year doesn't complete the game, or they dare to charge for it, Im gonna be pretty pissed off.

I just wish there were more places (other cities with more than one mission) to really visit, like the 2011 Game.

Other than that, it was pretty good.

I'm re-playing Human Revolution, now.

As for DX12, completely irrelevant to my Windows 7 gaming rig.

/shrug

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
6. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 7, 2016, 21:54 wtf_man

nin wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 20:46:
How's the Fallout MMO coming, fellas?

Yeah... I'm still waiting in total anticipation!

/snicker

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2016, 11:29 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:45:
Not surprised about VR sales, the price points are too high and a lot of people don't want to be in on the first generation of the tech. I'm really interested but its inevitable that better products are coming so I'm just sitting it out until then. I don't mind the early adopter thing but it is a ton of cash to do it with VR so /shrug.

I actually have zero interest in owning VR. I think VR would be better served with a "brick and mortar shop" that has extremely expensive - cutting edge tech (Think Lawnmower Man), that folks could go visit for entertainment... like Paintball, Laser Tag, and those fast indoor electric go-cart places.

VR in the home can't compare to that.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface
11. Re: Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface Sep 6, 2016, 11:19 wtf_man

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:24:
If they're porting to both consoles (as the rumor) they have x86 code at that point, so the pc version would be gravy...

Technically, both consoles are x86 AMD APUs. I think you mean XBone OS to PC OS, would be gravy.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 5, 2016, 11:15 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 01:53:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 00:32:
All it takes is the CPU manufactures to quit making chipset drivers that will work with older OS's, and that's all she wrote.

And that has always happened, now are they stopping it earlier than usual?

Pretty sure they are. Windows 7 is supposed to be supported until 2020, and manufacturers made Windows XP chipset drivers right up to EOL for that OS... even beyond.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2016, 00:32 wtf_man

Gentlemen:

It's not about CPU compatibility. It's about Chipset drivers. If Intel and AMD no longer make drivers that work with Windows 7-8.1 then you are forced to use Windows 10.

If you read the article, It's already a PITA to isntall Windows 7 on Skylake via USB (External USB DVD or thumb drive). You have to inject the drivers in a custom image via DISM, first, to get it to work (And yes, I have encountered this with our latest workstations at work)

All it takes is the CPU manufactures to quit making chipset drivers that will work with older OS's, and that's all she wrote.

I'm pretty sure there are no 3rd party chipsets anymore like VIA or OPTI for Intel or AMD, anymore.

The bottom line is that we are at the mercy of the CPU manufacturers for chipset drivers. Whether Kabylake works on current chipsets or not... remains to be seen... but once there are no drivers for future chipsets... that's it.

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour
10. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Sep 3, 2016, 13:51 wtf_man

Other than the extra Episode levels... I don't think this is any different than the Megaton Edition... which I already have.

Unless that "True3D" mode somehow looks better.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2016, 13:40 wtf_man

Looks like Skylake will be my last processor for a Windows Gaming rig.

Gonna eventually switch my 27" iMac to Linux Mint, anyway, since I can't stand Yosemite nor El Capitan. (When Mavericks goes EOL)

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 27, 2016, 19:42 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 17:25:
Yeah, had to understand. Benefits of cord cutting:
- Cheaper
- No commercials
- On-demand
- Binge watching

I cut the cord more than a decade ago, never looked back. Never happier.

Ditto.

Unfortunately the content libraries are slowly getting worse, as the streaming services rely more on their own content, and less on keeping their libraries full.

I'm on the edge of dropping Netflix because of this.
I'll keep Amazon Prime though... mainly because the streaming is a bonus to all the shit I get shipped for free, even though their "prime" library ain't all that great either.

I understand that the content providers are jacking the prices in favor of Cable / Satellite TV, but eventually I will just go full circle and put up an HD antenna and say "fuck all of the services". At least with an antenna, there is an actual reason to have commercials.

News Comments > Vampyr Trailer
9. Re: Vampyr Trailer Aug 26, 2016, 13:50 wtf_man

No... Because it's WAY shoulder-cam (practically side cam) like Alan Wake. I can't stand that.  

News Comments > Vampyr Trailer
7. Re: Vampyr Trailer Aug 26, 2016, 09:36 wtf_man

Ugh... shoulder cam... pass.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
33. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 26, 2016, 09:25 wtf_man

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 08:35:
Task wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 08:26:
Unless this is the Duke 3D remaster that was shut down by the big-wig hacks at Gearbox, I'm not interested.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took on the duties themselves and make produce their own sub par version.

And it probably would be that cel-shaded crap like Borderlands... which would piss me off.

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
30. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 09:49 wtf_man

Tom wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:00:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 20:30:
When you code for a company, the shit is automatically theirs. That's part of your employment agreement. You have to explicitly get permission to work on something on the side that they can't claim as theirs. (like making a little commercial app that has nothing to do with the company's business, nor competes against the company).
This depends on the contract. In 20+ years of getting paid to write code, I've always managed to avoid signing a contract including such language. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to companies attempting to own or control what I create outside of work.

Then you have been rather fortunate. There are a lot of companies that will not hire you, without a clause like that, especially if you are salary instead of hourly. Their point being it's their paid development time, not your free time. (Not saying I agree with this)

Also it's to protect them from someone coding on their time and running off and making a mint.

I suspect that when Zeni bought Id.. they made it clear that they were buying Carmack's (and other's) tech work, among the game IPs.

Him playing with VR to possibly put in the Id Tech engine, would definitely fall under Zenimax ownership.

If he took nothing and started writing from scratch "from within his head" over at Oculus... that would be one thing. If he actually copied code and took it with him to Oculos, ESPECIALLY from company machines (not a home machine)... well... there's a strong case against him, unless he had some sort of clause in his contract (which I doubt).

/shrug

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
7. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 22, 2016, 20:30 wtf_man

Dirk wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 19:15:
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Carmack was the original author of all of the code that he purportedly absconded with. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that he was under a contract that automatically made Zenimax the owner of any programs that he authored, in or out of the office, regardless of the project that code was associated with.

This.

When you code for a company, the shit is automatically theirs. That's part of your employment agreement. You have to explicitly get permission to work on something on the side that they can't claim as theirs. (like making a little commercial app that has nothing to do with the company's business, nor competes against the company).

So, if Carmack took any code with him, he's fucked.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
20. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 14:58 wtf_man

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 10:22:
My question is, really...WHY? If I have to run another power connector to the motherboard, I can just as easily run that to the video card. Feels a lot like a solution in search of a problem.

The only advantage that I can see would be for "mini systems" (Like a NUC) or gaming laptops being able to power higher end GPUs... but battery life would be out the window for laptops.

Also, the Laptop 1060, 1070, and 180 are supposed to be nearly as fast as the Desktop version... so I'm not sure extra power is totally necessary.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
63. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 11:25 wtf_man

NasWulf wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 20:05:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 19:00:
Was it awe inspiring to me? Nah.

no game to date has done the different game types, graphical fidelity, and ambition of SC has shown ... awe inspiring? SC pushes the PC in new directions with its Tech and ambition, that should be awe inspiring to anyone in the game developing world ... the more I read these forums the more I lol at the comments.

... cracks me the F up.

The walking / running animations were clunky and the combat was Meh, IMO.
Otherwise it looked pretty solid.

Maybe when it's polished I'll feel different.

33. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 19:00 wtf_man

I don't know... I guess for me, it was good to see a cohesive start to finish mission with a secondary mission.

Was it awe inspiring to me? Nah.

But like I said... if it plays that decent in Squadron 42, I'll be satisfied for my measly original $25 backing.

/shrug

5. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 13:26 wtf_man

I gotta admit.... that was pretty cool.

If Squadron 42 plays out like that Demo... I will be fairly satisfied (I still don't care about the MMO portion)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2016, 18:28 wtf_man

It's been 9 years since Dave Orton was in charge.... and 6 years since the "ATi" name was retired and merged into "AMD".

Also there have been a few key employees jump ship to nVidia,

Definitely not the same company it was 10 years ago.... then again, neither is the CPU side of the company, since they have been constantly spanked by Intel since the early Core Duo days.

PS4 and XBox One are pretty much all that's kept their necks above water, lately.

2902 Comments. 146 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo