Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2839 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Film Plans Revived
5. Re: Thief Film Plans Revived Mar 5, 2016, 14:20 wtf_man

The last game wasn't THAT bad... of course, I got it for like $5 on a Steam sale and had fairly low expectations.

After figuring out that the side quests were useless... I just focused on the main quest.

That said... the movie will probably be of Uwe Boll caliber.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
52. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 15:53 wtf_man

While I don't think the sky is falling, yet... the more MS tries to force Windows 10, their "no-way-to-opt-out datamining", and their store / modern apps... the more turned off to the windows platform I get (as a home user, I'll still support it for business)

/shrug

News Comments > More DirectX 12 Ports Planned
13. Re: More DirectX 12 Ports Planned Mar 4, 2016, 09:38 wtf_man

Don't forget, DX12 games are likely to be Windows Store only, as well.

Microsoft Is Moving Against The Entire PC Industry - Says Epic Founder

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 15:09 wtf_man

Spencer Cheering: "We're Number 2! We're Number 2! We're Number 2!!!"

Holding our noses: "You certainly are!"

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 13:00 wtf_man

MajorD wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:47:

....and you keep drinking that Apple juice mmmmkay.

I'll keep drinking the Penguin Piss, too.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2016, 15:15 wtf_man

Regardless of the investigation, you can't force a company to create something they never had, nor ever intended to make. Period.

The FBI fucked up and changed the iCloud password so the automatic backups stopped.

That's not Apple's fault. That was the FBI's ticket in, and they fucked it up. Now they want Apple to create something out of the blue to force hack their device.

Not only no... but FUCK NO.

I do not subscribe to the government overreach that public safety comes before our rights to privacy. What happened to "if you are afraid, the terrorists have already won"? Oh.. but it's ok to wave the "terrorist banner" to blanket surveillance innocent citizens of this country without a warrant, or to let the government force companies to create something they wouldn't in the first place.

I'm sick and tired about hearing "Terrorists" and "Child Molesters" getting away with shit because of encryption. Law enforcement caught them before there ever was an Internet, and will continue to do so in the future. It's fucking called GRUNT POLICE WORK. Maybe they should try it before stating they need access to everyone's shit.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2016, 10:15 wtf_man

I don't know... They may pick up more prime subcribers.

All I know is that prime has paid for itself multiple times over since we always manage to purchase a few items throughout the year that are big and would be a ton extra for shipping (and don't qualify for free shipping to begin with). Then all the small items that we do buy that's under $35 (now $49).

The limited streaming video library is just a bonus, for us, and we don't buy / rent anything through their service.

/shrug

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
29. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 19:46 wtf_man

Umbral wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 18:02:
Humm, I'd rather see Doug Church jump on board. Warren was probably getting bored with the retirement village, hope he can keep up!

This. 1000x This.

Warren has been washed up since Deus Ex: Invisible War

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 13, 2016, 11:00 wtf_man

None of those privacy tools completely stop all phoning home. Also the OS will ignore a lot Host File entries to it's own servers. The firewall rules work ok, but then again a good chunk of IP address will be changing constantly.

The only way to completely eradicate the phoning home is to uninstall the offending modules with DISM (For creating an image), Install_WIM_Tweak (For an OS already installed), or NTLite (For either).

However, if you uninstall too many critical modules of the OS, it will break updating, especially cumulative (roll up) updates.... which means you need to constantly download and manually install individual updates. Of course, you could always run your own WSUS server with Win10 Enterprise and not approve cumulative updates...that way only the individual updates that "apply" will install.

After extensive experimentation with the OS... I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to run Windows 7 without the spy update KBs, than it is to get Windows 10 to behave (including the enterprise version).

/shrug

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2016, 11:06.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
12. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 8, 2016, 13:35 wtf_man

Bastiat's Ghost wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 05:17:
I think the answer is obvious, is it not?

Use Windows 10 for your gaming rig and nothing else, at least until Steam OS or whatever becomes a viable option.

Use Linux Mint, Remix OS, or your other OS of choice like Windows 7 or OSX on a different computer for web browsing and everything else.

I've actually done this for years. Win7 gaming rig, iMac for everything else... Bank / bill transactions on a Linux Mint VM that does nothing else.

That said... the people that did the Test didn't shut everything off properly, nor remove any of the modern apps that come with it. You still need to do the same work you do on the other versions to "secure privacy"... the only extra benefit of Enterprise Edition is you can completely disable Telemetry.

A better benefit is the Enterprise LTSB version so you don't get unwanted changes rammed down your throat.

News Comments > Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month
2. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Jan 30, 2016, 13:04 wtf_man

Squadron 42 is all I wanted in the first place. My early pledge better get me that instead of the fucking MMO.  

News Comments > Atari Vault Announced
6. Re: Atari Vault Announced Jan 22, 2016, 13:34 wtf_man

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time on Atari 2600 Roms.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 18, 2016, 13:34 wtf_man

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 11:55:
What a dumbfuck! The folks who actually won the pot should all donate $1 to her and then send her a nice photo of them bathing in cash accompanied by a sucks-to-be-you greeting card.

/ROFL

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
70. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 12:16 wtf_man

Bard wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 23:25:
It's naive to think you can turn M$'s crap off - all it takes is MS to push out another update outside of the usual scope of updates (which they HAVE done in the past) and you're screwed.

You can always tell the inexperienced techs - they're the ones who say 'you can stop something happening' because they don't realize that the end control is always the vendor..

Actually you are wrong, for the most part.

Use the Enterprise LTSB version, and Either DISM, Install_WIM_TWEAK, or NTLITE Pro (easiest method but costs $45) to completely uninstall the packages that you don't want.

The LTSB version updates do not include newer builds, nor updates for packages that you have uninstalled.

If for some reason a build does get pushed, one can always re-run those utilities... but I would gather that would be few and far between.

Signed,

Inexperienced Systems / Security person

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
39. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 19:24 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 15:23:
Windows 10 can be tamed if you know what you're doing or are willing to do a little bit of research, for those that don't know how or are too lazy to disable Cortana and the Windows Store apps - let them be data mined.

I agree with the first half of that sentence.
I disagree with the second half. - Everyone should have a clear easy way to opt out of ALL datamining.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2016, 15:39 wtf_man

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 13:53:
Seriously. They're catching up to LOW END discrete cards, maybe.

Actually, the Iris Pro can play most games @ 1080p and medium settings, which isn't awful for an ultra-book and being on the go. The problem is finding a reasonably priced Ultra Book with an Iris Pro. You might as well get a regular laptop with a good discreet card for the same price and better graphics performance.

I'd say Iris Pros are above current sub $100 card's performance, but not as good as $150 cards yet. So, catching up to "lower mid-range" would be probably more accurate, IMO.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 10, 2016, 18:59 wtf_man

I can still get to the content on Forbes with uBlock having "Adblock Warning Removal list" and "Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek" filters enabled.

Not that I go there often, other than a news bit linked from Blues. It just goes to show how Superior uBlock Origin is compared to Adblock Plus.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2016, 21:58.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 6, 2016, 09:50 wtf_man

uBlock Chrome extension

Caution, this is not uBlock Origin, so don't be confused by the title of this extension.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2016, 08:57 wtf_man

Megalodon wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 07:34:
You can disable the "acceptable" ads with a single click in the options menu for the plugin. I dislike Adblock Plus because its a fucking memory pig but the whitelist is purely optional.

While that is true... the crux of the matter is that they are basically accepting bribes / extorting (depending on your point of view) to whitelist. If everyone switched to uBlock, that crap wouldn't happen, since nobody would pay adblock with a minuscule user base.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2016, 10:05 wtf_man

Unfortunately most of my fellow Americans ARE stupid. They keep voting in the same idiots. Want to change the Status Quo? Vote out EVERY fricken incumbent.

(I'm registered non-partisan, BTW, because both parties piss me off, and I try to vote for the lesser of two evils depending on the individual... not their party)

2839 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo