Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2853 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 1, 2016, 20:41 wtf_man

Not sure they need SoC, even though separate chipsets, Roms,Bios,etc. take more room.

The article already states:

Many PC makers are already choosing Intel's Skylake Core M processors over Cherry Trail for hybrids and PC-like tablets.

Pretty much only the Surface 3 was using an Atom. Apparently other Windows Tablets are using the Core M.

But we'll see... what you say definitely makes sense for phones and "embedded gear" as you out it.

I think we all can agree that the Atom was going nowhere because it it was too under-powered. Well... I don't have any experience with recent Atoms, I'm talking about ones from a couple years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 1, 2016, 12:14 wtf_man

I don't know if they are really "giving up" the smartphone / tablet market.

The Skylake Core M3 and M5 makes the Atom obsolete for most of the devices, and probably another iteration / die shrinkage would work in phones and smaller tablets.

The chip isn't all that much more expensive than the Atom, and is WAY more powerful. (Desktop quality processing)

It won't be the Xeon D (45 Watts). The Core M3 and M5 uses 1/10 that power (4.5 Watts). The Atom x5-Z8300 uses 2 Watts (Thermal) by comparison.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2016, 12:27.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 21:02 wtf_man

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 17:48:
Well, there is the whole "connected to the Internet" bit about transmitting of data...if you're connected to the Internet I'm pretty sure you've already transmitted enough data to various entities to supply them with information to last until your great-grandkid's grandkids are long dust.

True... and I proactively do my best to thwart most of it on every device that I have. I also don't use any social media. Is it 100% fullproof? Nope. But I almost rather have the NSA track me than these fsckin marketers that monetize me without my permission, especially the ones that ignore browser's "Do not Track". As far as I'm concerned they are just as bad as the asshats that ignore the "Do not call" list.

/shrug

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 16:54 wtf_man

descender wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 14:24:
All of those words, that's exactly why it's a "tin foil hat" concern. You don't know what data is being transmitted or it's purpose, you just know you don't want it transmitted no matter how useful it may actually be.

That line was actually directed towards Cortana itself and not the telemetry stuff anyway.

I think you misunderstood.

I didn't say I didn't know what the data is... I meant I don't care.

Tinfoil hat usually refers to someone that is "paranoid" about something being transmitted about them.

My attitude is... if you take away my control over the OS on MY machine (aka, don't give me a true opt outs), then fsck you... I won't give you anything.

That's not paranoia, my friend.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 14:18 wtf_man

descender wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 11:19:
Power users are the only people who disable it, and only because of tinfoil hat concerns.

I don't see how not truly being able to opt out of all the phoning home is a "tinfoil hat concern". I don't care what the data is or is not, I want full control of my machine, and forcing unwanted communications down my throat rubs me wrong, and makes me not want to give ANY (Including innocent telemetry).

So, I completely uninstall all offending modules, which is the only real way to ensure that the crap stops. Unfortunately, it also breaks cumulative updates. So, I'm mostly left with using Windows 7 at home and NOT installing the spyware and nagware updates.

News Comments > Arcade Classics on Steam
5. Re: Arcade Classics on Steam Apr 23, 2016, 19:24 wtf_man

I wish these companies would just sell "official" MAME ROMs. Usually around 50 kilobytes in size for the older games, and no BS artwork around the screen.

That said, I have 65 MAME games set up on an INTEL NUC and a 60" LCD TV in our bar room, and I configured them to work with the Logitech F710 Game controller, which works pretty good for most of the games.

Needless to say... it's a lot of fun to have a few friends come over, get a good alcohol buzz going and watch each other be terrible at these classics!

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 19, 2016, 15:11 wtf_man

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 14:46:
Got to say, it's no surprise with quality shows like House Of Cards and Daredevil on Netflix. Had my netflix account since 2008 (it used to suck) but now it's pretty much the future.

Looking forward to more of their future shows.

Actually, I'm thinking about cancelling because their non-in-house library is starting to suck. It seems to get worse every year, and I cord cut in 2007.

News Comments > New John Romero PC Shooter Teased
5. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 15, 2016, 20:41 wtf_man

It's gonna be called: "Yore Maih Biotch!"... and you play the 'Stuck SuperFly' as the protagonist.

Sorry... couldn't resist.

I hope he finally makes something good after all the crap from Diakatana, onward.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Apr 10, 2016, 20:01 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 19:38:
He kinda reminds me of George Lucas. He made good films when he didn't have a huge reputation and ego and the people around him could tell him when he was making a mistake. Creative types need freedom but they also need to be criticise-able.

Great screw ups spawn great comedy.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 22, 2016, 20:59 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 18:01:
So,

1) A company that scans your email and targets ads based off of stuff in your emails as well as sells your email contents to third party advertisers, and Datamines you from just about every web site. And...

2) A company that completely rolled over and sucked the NSA's dick so hard that even the NSA went "Shit, guys, take it easy!", and datamines you even more with their new OS. And...

3) The douchenozzles known as Yahoo, that made you turn off your adblocker to use their e-mail, but can't datamine you as well since no-one uses their shit...

are making a new email encryption protocol!

Fixed.

News Comments > Day of the Tentacle Remastered Released
15. Re: Day of the Tentacle Remastered Released Mar 22, 2016, 15:27 wtf_man

I don't mind buying "finished" reworks of my favorites like Grim Fandango. So, I will probably get this.

However, I will definitely never ever again pledge / pre-pay in any way shape or form... from anything Tim or his studio "pan handles" for.

Broken Trust is the real name of the game.

/shrug

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 16, 2016, 19:43 wtf_man

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 16:00:
We've asked for YEARS (ya hear that Blue.. YEARS!) and he won't do it.

Yup.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Cancelled
33. Re: EverQuest Next Cancelled Mar 12, 2016, 08:46 wtf_man

Acleacius wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 16:52:
All the talent left long ago and now making Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Well, I disagree. It will be another Vanguard, if not worse. While there is probably a small niche group that likes Brad's forced grouping hardcore philosophy on MMO's... I'm not one of them.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 10, 2016, 10:03 wtf_man

Government to Microsoft: Sure, when you give us a back door to all of your encryption algorithms.  

News Comments > Thief Film Plans Revived
5. Re: Thief Film Plans Revived Mar 5, 2016, 14:20 wtf_man

The last game wasn't THAT bad... of course, I got it for like $5 on a Steam sale and had fairly low expectations.

After figuring out that the side quests were useless... I just focused on the main quest.

That said... the movie will probably be of Uwe Boll caliber.

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
52. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 15:53 wtf_man

While I don't think the sky is falling, yet... the more MS tries to force Windows 10, their "no-way-to-opt-out datamining", and their store / modern apps... the more turned off to the windows platform I get (as a home user, I'll still support it for business)

/shrug

News Comments > More DirectX 12 Ports Planned
13. Re: More DirectX 12 Ports Planned Mar 4, 2016, 09:38 wtf_man

Don't forget, DX12 games are likely to be Windows Store only, as well.

Microsoft Is Moving Against The Entire PC Industry - Says Epic Founder

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 15:09 wtf_man

Spencer Cheering: "We're Number 2! We're Number 2! We're Number 2!!!"

Holding our noses: "You certainly are!"

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 13:00 wtf_man

MajorD wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:47:

....and you keep drinking that Apple juice mmmmkay.

I'll keep drinking the Penguin Piss, too.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2016, 15:15 wtf_man

Regardless of the investigation, you can't force a company to create something they never had, nor ever intended to make. Period.

The FBI fucked up and changed the iCloud password so the automatic backups stopped.

That's not Apple's fault. That was the FBI's ticket in, and they fucked it up. Now they want Apple to create something out of the blue to force hack their device.

Not only no... but FUCK NO.

I do not subscribe to the government overreach that public safety comes before our rights to privacy. What happened to "if you are afraid, the terrorists have already won"? Oh.. but it's ok to wave the "terrorist banner" to blanket surveillance innocent citizens of this country without a warrant, or to let the government force companies to create something they wouldn't in the first place.

I'm sick and tired about hearing "Terrorists" and "Child Molesters" getting away with shit because of encryption. Law enforcement caught them before there ever was an Internet, and will continue to do so in the future. It's fucking called GRUNT POLICE WORK. Maybe they should try it before stating they need access to everyone's shit.

2853 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo