Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2981 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
16. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 13:52 wtf_man

Still on a 3570K, too. GTX 680 still working pretty good too.

I May go with an Ice Lake and a GTX 2060(?) next, since I don't game over 1080p anyway.

/shrug

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 09:32 wtf_man

Well... the wife an I both have the iPhone 5. and before that we had the 3G. So, we upgrade roughly every 5 years or so. We're looking at the Plus since my fingers are too big to text properly on that itty bitty 5, and my eyes are getting to a point where I need reader glasses for tiny print.

That said... I'm torn between the 7 Plus and the 8 Plus, mainly for the better camera features on the 8. But I'm not sure it's worth the extra $150 between the two bottom end Plus models though.

As for the iPhone X... not worth the price, IMO. Facial regognition tech is creepy to the Orwellian paranoid side of me, too.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 5, 2017, 09:33 wtf_man

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 11:14:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:57:
Just made the ultimate Windows 10 with NTLITE.

OH, please tell me you documented your process somewhere! This information available for people to follow along? I used to make my own Win2k, WinXP and Win7 installs. I can't upgrade to 10, I refuse to because of the "telemetry".

I really, really miss sub-1GB OS installs that run perfectly find with only a few hundred MB of RAM. Seriously no fucking excuse for today's considerable bloat. I would honestly love you if you shared the software and steps you took to make your build.

I don't have the exact steps written down... but the basics are:

1. buy NTLite
2. get the Enterprise LTSB from MSDN/Visual Studio subscriptions (Or have a friend get the ISO for you) Enterprise LTSB has the least amount of crap in it.
3. use 7-zip to unpack the ISO into a folder.
4. Run NTLite and mount your folder. go into compatibility and uncheck cortana, windows update, windows store and app support, and recommended. ("Compatibility" in NTLite is a safety measure that locks components for removal, so you have to uncheck the relative boxes before you can remove certain components)
5. remove all the components you don't want.
6. build the new ISO.
7. Install it on a VM.
8. install NTLITE and remove the rest of the components that you don't want (Some can only be removed after an installation). Add the software you want to include. (Since I removed Internet Explorer, I added Chrome)
9. sysprep your new image.
10. create a WDS server Virtual Machine (can download server trial from MS for free) to capture the image and have the ability image any of your machines.

That said... it looks like that tool that Redeye9 just linked (MSMG) will do a majority of it for free.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 18:57 wtf_man

Just made the ultimate Windows 10 with NTLITE.

Took 2016 Enterprise LTSB, and stripped everything out....including cortana (not just disabled... never installed), all windows reporting and telemetry, cloud host experience, one-drive, all metro apps, search, push notifications, internet explorer, edge already gone, windows updates etc. etc. etc.

The thing boots to using around 400MB of RAM, doesn't phone home, and the start menu still works! Installed Chrome since there is no web browser.

So what's the catch? I removed Windows updates. Why? Because it will break the first time one of those stupid cumulative updates tries to install.

However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. One can still get critical updates via the Microsoft catalog.

Right now I'm just using it in a virtual box on my *nix box for being able to vpn and rdp into work.

But I may eventually run it on my gaming rig if there's a point that 7 isn't supported for games anymore.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
39. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 27, 2017, 11:11 wtf_man

So, I wasn't about to watch a 2 hour marketing presentation...

I did find a good 10 minute overview:

GamesCom 2017 Overview

Meh.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2017, 09:30 wtf_man

I try real hard to not get into politics in this forum.

I am registered nonpartisan and I despise both libtards and conservetards (aka the extremists). I'm probably closer to being a libertarian, if anything... but the point is that I disagree with a lot from the 2 main parties.

The general problem, IMO isn't so much the president (wether it be Bush, Obama, Trump), but everyone voting in the same assholes into congress over and over and expecting change. Congress needs term limits. Some "leader" that has 20 years in DC is there to screw over you and me for his/her own gain... not to represent his/her constituents. That's WAY too much power to have. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting something to change. That is exactly what our congress has become. There's no easy way to "Drain the swamp"... and you'd have to be completely ignorant to not think DC is a swamp. Congress Approval numbers have been way low for over a decade and the same jerks get voted in. (Regardless of who is in office)

OK... getting off my soap box now... Back on Topic...

Buying Twitter to shut Trump up is stupid.
1. He would just use some other popular Social Media.
2. If you are against Trump, why would you want to kill off the very thing that he is doing to "hang himself"? He spouts a lot of stupid crap on Twitter... everyone knows that, including his supporters.

I do agree that there is media bias. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "fake news", but there is clear bias and an agenda... whether one goes to CNN or FOX. Go to both. The truth is somewhere in the middle. The media is a swamp too. Any person that went after a journalism degree because they "wanted to change the world" should not be a journalist. Their job is to report the facts... and both sides equally... not inject their opinion.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Trailer
1. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Trailer Aug 18, 2017, 09:14 wtf_man

I hope these guys can pull it off. The story looks interesting from the this latest trailer, but the past beta in-game footage still looked fairly clunky.  

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Publishing Deal
2. Re: Underworld Ascendant Publishing Deal Aug 18, 2017, 09:09 wtf_man

I really want this to be good. UU is still my favorite RPG of all time. I'm not real happy with the new art direction of Ascendant, but I'll overlook that for the gameplay, if it is anything like the original Ultima Underworld.  

News Comments > Gearbox Teases Project 1v1
1. Re: Gearbox Teases Project 1v1 Aug 8, 2017, 19:35 wtf_man

Thptptptptptptptptptpt.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed
15. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 22:40 wtf_man

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 22:24:
Anyone remember when this was suppose to be a Wing Commander game, and not the second coming of Second Life?

But it's the "Second Life in Spaaaaaaaaaaace!"

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
26. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 09:08 wtf_man

Sempai wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 00:33:
BLAH BLAH BLAH..BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH... -Microsoft

Burrrp... -Me

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 16:10 wtf_man

$1200.00 first year

Annual Subscriptions - Visual Studio Professional

Look at Standard Subscriptions Tab.

Have a friend or two go in with you... cuts down the cost... keys still work after you cancel the subscription.

In the chart, look under "Subscriber Benefits" and you will see that "Windows, Windows Server, Windows Embedded, Microsoft SQL Server" is checked for the $1200.00 version. It's a dirty way to get your hands on Enterprise LTSB OS's without technically pirating... but like you said... it's the version that everyone would want and they don't make it easily available.

EDIT: Ah crap... they lock you into subscribing for at lease 3 years:

Look at Cloud vs. Standard Subcription terms:
Committed subscription term - Typically 36 months for most

Which would be an additional $1600 for 2 years.

However...

After the subscription expires, can use the software that was available during the active subscription term (“perpetual” use rights) - Yes in most cases

Bottom line, So yeah... you were right... spendy... $2800 total.
Need to split that cost with 10 friends!

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 16:43.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 11:02 wtf_man

For home, you could get a MSDN subscription. (Now called Visual Studio Pro Subscription)

Going partners with some folks, and not renewing the subscription is pretty much how folks get around the expense... but you didn't hear that from me.

Also, one needs to realize that we had to pay an extra $180 per machine to upgrade to Enterprise LTSB. Machines from Dell and others only come with a Pro license.

LTSB has new "annual builds"... so that's how you get your 10 years from when you purchase. There already was a 2015 and 2016 build... the 2017 LTSB build will come out in the fall and would get security updates until 2027.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 11:59.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:31 wtf_man

LTSB does not do feature updates. It is supported with incident calls for 5 years (which we never use), and security updates for 10 years. (So for us, until 2026)

So, Cortana, Edge, etc. are off by default / and some not installable (Edge), because those are considered to require feature updates.

LTSB is Windows 10 without most of the bullshit. It's intention is for Enterprises not have jolting changes that may break applications (especially legacy applications)... of which we have one that is very sensitive to change and took us months to get working properly in Windows 10. So, imagine potentially having to go through months of work every 6 months. Not a good thing.

That said... one still has to lock it down with group policies and other tweaks during image creation in order to reasonably stop it from phoning home all the time.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 10:47.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 23:12 wtf_man

We run Enterprise 2016 LTSB on our endpoints at work, with group policy turning off all the phone home / telemetry that it possibly can (and some other tweaks).

Still not 100% fullproof, and I wouldn't even run that at home.

They are rumored to come out with a "Workstation OS" based on Server 2016. I might consider that... but it might just be better to run Server 2016 Standard. I'll have to load some games up on it and see how it does.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2017, 12:05 wtf_man

I agree that it depends on the channel... but there are a lot of them that pretty much have over 30% commercials. Or at least used to.... I cord cut in 2007. MTV is an obvious one... Spike... a few others. Very irritating, which is why I cord cut in the first place. That's when I vowed to never pay for a service with commercials again.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2017, 16:02 wtf_man

Charter is Testing a $20, Sports-Free Streaming Service

No interest. Not paying for commercials on any "service".

And I can get local broadcast channels if I put up an HD antenna. (Not that I'd Want to). Broadcast TV nneds to go back to the 60's when there was only like 10% commercials per show... instead of the near 50% now.

/shrug

News Comments > Lode Runner Legacy Next Month
1. Re: Lode Runner Legacy Next Month Jun 29, 2017, 09:48 wtf_man

Actually... there's been a remake out for years, and it's much closer to the original:

ZX Games

News Comments > Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane
14. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 28, 2017, 09:13 wtf_man

Arkane's inspirations was Looking Glass. Arx was their way to pattern after Ultima Underworld.

Dishonored -> Thief.
Prey -> System Shock.

I have no problems with that since I'm a huge Looking Glass fan, and at least someone tried to pick up the ball.

News Comments > Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up
24. Re: Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up Jun 26, 2017, 14:01 wtf_man

*Yawn*

These guys got my $25 six(?) years ago. Still no Squadron 42.
I've already chalked it up as a loss, and moved on.

/shrug

2981 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo