Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2849 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elder Scrolls VI in Development
63. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 18:20 wtf_man

Maybe they will used the iD Tech 6 engine (If it renders outdoors well enough). I mean... the snap map stuff is very similar to how they build TES games... and why own a engine for just one studio?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Serious Sam VR Announced
21. Re: Serious Sam VR Announced Jun 13, 2016, 18:37 wtf_man

Ugh. Most useless IP ever. They can't seem to make anything different in the last 15 years other that The Talos Principle.  

News Comments > Star Trek VR Game Plans
12. Re: Star Trek VR Game Plans Jun 13, 2016, 17:48 wtf_man

I want a TOS Bridge Commander... Preferably either the '60's Bridge or the STII Bridge.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
25. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition Jun 13, 2016, 17:44 wtf_man

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 17:34:
But since I'm generally known as a nice guy and exemplar to society I shall answer your question: YES.

However, one has to have purchased ALL the add-ons.

I've never bought any, so it will depend on which is the cheaper route to go at the time, for me.

News Comments > On DOOM Multiplayer
2. Re: On DOOM Multiplayer Jun 9, 2016, 09:48 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 09:37:
Later he expects bots to be added to the game.

Awesome! Doom has been surprise of the year, so far...amazed how well it turned out.

How is the single player? I mean I know it's fairly good... but is it too short for the denero?

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Countdown
5. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Countdown Jun 6, 2016, 20:05 wtf_man

I didn't think it was all that bad. Of course, I bought it like 1.5 years later, patched up, and on sale for like $20, since everyone was complaining about it... and my expectations were fairly low.

I'd say it was mediocre and over-hyped.... not necessarily a terrible game... like Dungeon Lords bad.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2016, 15:57 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 11:17:
SLI and Crossfire were always a horrible value proposition. You're paying literally two times as much for two matching cards and if you're lucky and the game is very well optimised for it, getting a 50% performance boost. Even in the best possible case scenarios, you've paying twice as much for 1.5x the benefit and in most cases, it's way worse than that. Like you said, you're better off buying a higher-end card for less money than two lower cards and upgrading more often.

And you paid for micro-stuttering, that doesn't happen with single GPUs. With SLI / Crossfire a game could be running at 300fps and still stutter because some frames didn't sync exactly.

Other than 2 voodoo cards in the early days, I have never run dual+ cards for gaming because of the micro-stuttering issues that always existed.

I don't know if it has been eliminated by now since this issue got major attention in the last few years, but I'm not going to pay to find out.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2016, 13:02 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 12:25:
My Win7 install is pretty old and getting slow, and I just picked up a fat SSD. Was going to install a fresh instance of Win 10. I figure they've ironed out the bugs by now. Any reason to stay on Win 7?

It's much easier to avoid Microsoft Spyware with Windows 7 than Windows 10...

Remove Window 7 Spying Updates

VS.

Microsoft Technet Article to Disable most Windows 10 phoning home

The reason the latter is an article and not a "suggested privacy tool"... is that one needs to see exactly how much work / garbage to disable to clean up windows 10. This is from Microsoft themselves!!!

Also, not all Win 10 privacy tools do everything.

And it's pretty much impossible to turn everything off in 10 without breaking updating.

While I have to support it at work... I will never run it at Home.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2016, 13:08.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released
2. Re: Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released May 18, 2016, 22:52 wtf_man

According to the Steam forums, if you start the game with steam offline you can play the game / create maps without having to make an account.

Some of the folks saying the gameplay is "meh" is what is stopping me from pulling the trigger.

/shrug

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
19. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 12:15 wtf_man

Not one review has a triple panel setup.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2016, 20:29 wtf_man

"Producer Beatdown" deemed too edgy.

How about "Black Eyed Peon"?

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
35. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 19:13 wtf_man

jacobvandy wrote on May 7, 2016, 19:02:
That was neat, yes, but don't forget that right after that they showed how that same technique is used to eliminate warping in VR, by compositing 4 angled views on each eye. All eight of those perspectives are supposedly done in a single pass, which is more efficient than the way it's done now, where the two different versions of the same frame are rendered completely separately.

His exact words were "for free," meaning there is no loss of performance in VR versus a single monitor, but I dunno about that... The demo they showed depicted a VR scene varying between 60-70 fps until they activated this new rendering mode and maxed it out for a solid 96.

Oh, I agree.

I just personally have little interest in VR. True / un-warped / un-distorted surround screen gaming interests me a lot more than standing / walking around a room with a headset on.

But there's no doubt that the tech is great for VR too.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
30. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 18:07 wtf_man

Well... I actually watched the whole reveal last night... and that simultaneous multi-projection tech is pretty neat... can drive 3 monitors with 2 angled in and no distortion / warping (perspective is corrected).

That might be worth the upgrade for me from my GTX 680 with only 1 monitor.

1080 Reveal

Go 51 minutes into the video and watch till 58 minutes.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2016, 18:17.

News Comments > DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements
22. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 6, 2016, 09:29 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on May 5, 2016, 21:47:
Wiki says this is built on the new id Tech 6 engine. Nothing much known about it.
Both Wolfensteins and Dishonored 2 use the id Tech 5 engine, i did not notice much texture popping in either Wolfenstein.

I have The Old Blood, and unfortunately I see texture popping in the distance. So far this has only happened outside, and for objects at a far distance, so it's not that bad. But at the same time, it's still annoying, and I would expect better from iD's tech.

News Comments > DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements
6. Re: DOOM Launch Trailer & System Requirements May 5, 2016, 21:16 wtf_man

Looks ok to me.... especially if they got rid of the Tech 5 texture popping shit.

I don't really care about the multi-player.

/shrug

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases
1. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases May 4, 2016, 10:02 wtf_man

Dammit. I just bought The Old Blood the other day for $20.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 1, 2016, 20:41 wtf_man

Not sure they need SoC, even though separate chipsets, Roms,Bios,etc. take more room.

The article already states:

Many PC makers are already choosing Intel's Skylake Core M processors over Cherry Trail for hybrids and PC-like tablets.

Pretty much only the Surface 3 was using an Atom. Apparently other Windows Tablets are using the Core M.

But we'll see... what you say definitely makes sense for phones and "embedded gear" as you out it.

I think we all can agree that the Atom was going nowhere because it it was too under-powered. Well... I don't have any experience with recent Atoms, I'm talking about ones from a couple years ago.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 1, 2016, 12:14 wtf_man

I don't know if they are really "giving up" the smartphone / tablet market.

The Skylake Core M3 and M5 makes the Atom obsolete for most of the devices, and probably another iteration / die shrinkage would work in phones and smaller tablets.

The chip isn't all that much more expensive than the Atom, and is WAY more powerful. (Desktop quality processing)

It won't be the Xeon D (45 Watts). The Core M3 and M5 uses 1/10 that power (4.5 Watts). The Atom x5-Z8300 uses 2 Watts (Thermal) by comparison.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2016, 12:27.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 21:02 wtf_man

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 17:48:
Well, there is the whole "connected to the Internet" bit about transmitting of data...if you're connected to the Internet I'm pretty sure you've already transmitted enough data to various entities to supply them with information to last until your great-grandkid's grandkids are long dust.

True... and I proactively do my best to thwart most of it on every device that I have. I also don't use any social media. Is it 100% fullproof? Nope. But I almost rather have the NSA track me than these fsckin marketers that monetize me without my permission, especially the ones that ignore browser's "Do not Track". As far as I'm concerned they are just as bad as the asshats that ignore the "Do not call" list.

/shrug

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 16:54 wtf_man

descender wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 14:24:
All of those words, that's exactly why it's a "tin foil hat" concern. You don't know what data is being transmitted or it's purpose, you just know you don't want it transmitted no matter how useful it may actually be.

That line was actually directed towards Cortana itself and not the telemetry stuff anyway.

I think you misunderstood.

I didn't say I didn't know what the data is... I meant I don't care.

Tinfoil hat usually refers to someone that is "paranoid" about something being transmitted about them.

My attitude is... if you take away my control over the OS on MY machine (aka, don't give me a true opt outs), then fsck you... I won't give you anything.

That's not paranoia, my friend.

2849 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo