Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On November 26, 2003
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 3265 (Veteran)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists

18. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists Mar 11, 2020, 09:48  wtf_man 

Can we wish for a no-drm-launcher option?
no?
How about a complete opt-out to datamining / telemetry (Other than recorded purchases by the store)
no?
I'll stick with GOG. Thanks.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 5, 2020, 09:47  wtf_man 

phinn wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 08:14:
Doesn't matter too much for Intel if you're building a primarily gaming PC then these 10th gen CPUs will still be #1 for gaming, just very power hungry. That said I'm looking forward to checking out the Ryzen 4700X for my next build.

I don't think so. The latest 3000 desktop cpus are pretty close to the Comet Lakes in IPC. There's supposed to be another 10-15% IPC coming in the 4000's, which should make them at least trade blows (depending on the game) if not be slightly better than Comet Lakes. Pretty sure there aren't going to be any 10nm Intel Deskstop CPUs.

On the Laptop side, the early indicators of the 4000 series already spanks Ice Lake in IPC. We'll see what happens with Tiger Lake.

The only advantage Intel may have is some specific instruction set a particular game was optimized for.

News Comments > Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out

28. Re: Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out Mar 5, 2020, 09:32  wtf_man 

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 09:15:
A killer app needs to substantially move the needle.

I pretty much agree with Beamer... however, to me a "killer app" usually means making the hardware desirable enough for the mainstream, with a snowball effect of more developers trying to chase that piece of pie.

I think it's way too soon to say this game will do that.

I also think it's obvious (as I stated earlier in this thread) that Valve created the game from that franchise to sell hardware. Period.

News Comments > Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out

7. Re: Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out Mar 4, 2020, 18:44  wtf_man 

From that statement, I suppose one could come to the conclusion that the motivation for developing Half-Life: Alyx wasn't exactly for the love and passion of their own IP... but just to sell hardware. (since all their previous attempts failed... steam controller, steam box, etc.)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 4, 2020, 17:41  wtf_man 

Pretty sure my next rig is going to be a Ryzen 4000, given the two Intel articles in tonight's Tech Bits.

After Switching from years of an Athlon XP to years of a Core 2 Duo (Conroe then Wolfdale), then years of a core-i5 (3570k), AMD is well deserving of the support for a switch back. Intel had a good 15 year-ish run with me.

Yeah... I don't upgrade my motherboard and processor on my gaming rig very often anymore... but when I do, they are a quantum leap in performance compared to what I replace.

Video cards, on the other hand... I'll stick with my GTX 1070 for now and see what the next gen is all about.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of Half-Life

15. Re: Valve on the Future of Half-Life Mar 4, 2020, 13:38  wtf_man 

I suppose that I am one of the few that thought HL2 wasn't all that great. I'd rather put my money on Black Mesa than HL3 (or EP3) (If it was available).

/shrug

News Comments > Valve on the Future of Half-Life

9. Re: Valve on the Future of Half-Life Mar 4, 2020, 12:39  wtf_man 

Rolleyes  

News Comments > Evening Interviews

3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 3, 2020, 17:50  wtf_man 

ventry wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 17:23:
Valve On Why Half-Life- Alyx Needed To Be In VR - Game Informer.

Because they wanted to keep the amount of customers to an absolute minimum??

Well... there are definitely some of us that couldn't care less about VR. For me it is about as desirable as 3D TVs / 3D Movies / 3D Blu Rays, which was zilch, as well. It appears to be a hugely "niche market" for a game to exclusively cater to.

Valve just keeps on burnin' that Steam Money, though... ....and they have plenty to burn.

As for the article trying to give hope there will be a HL-3 or Episode3... that train left the station a loooooong time ago. Gabe gets his Big Macs from Steam, now.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2020, 18:08.

News Comments > Sunday Previews

20. Re: Sunday Previews Mar 2, 2020, 18:20  wtf_man 

Nullity wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 13:11:
Headline: Here's how Star Citizen is planning to implement survival mechanics
The same as it's always been... scam as much money from everyone as possible.

Fixed!

News Comments > Baldurís Gate 3 Press Release

10. Re: Baldurís Gate 3 Press Release Mar 1, 2020, 12:31  wtf_man 

I don't know about this. If a developer is claiming they don't think this will run on a PS4 or Xbox One... they probably really over-bloated the engine. I mean, you can only get a limited amount of eye candy from an isometric view. What I mean by that is the camera is usually so far away from the objects that maybe only a 4k screen would one be able to notice the difference. If it runs like crap on current consoles an 1080p... they fscked up, IMO.  

News Comments > After 14 Years, Black Mesa 1.0 Next Week

23. Re: After 14 Years, Black Mesa 1.0 Next Week Feb 26, 2020, 10:40  wtf_man 

After 14 years, I will finally play this!

I will purchase upon my next visit to Steam.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2020, 17:58  wtf_man 

So, basically, we could have kept the windows 7 interface (No Metro, No missing Start menu on Win8, No Live tiles) all along and just got the under the hood improvements.

Then again, I don't consider all the telemtery / phoning home / spying / forced broken updates an improvement.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

17. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 17:51  wtf_man 

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 13:47:
...or install those ones that go into existing toilets.

Ewe. Puke

87. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 09:53  wtf_man 

I bet there's way more support this way than pennies for clicking on ads.

Of course, only a rock solid established site like this could go this route.

Cheers to my fellow Blues supporters!

70. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 19:22  wtf_man 

I'll definitely be pledging the pay-pal gold.

Very happy to finally have the option to support this site via another method.

Just want to say, for me, my ad blocker / script blocker is not so much for the ads, as it is the tracking. I absolutely despise marketers monetizing my info without my permission, so I do all I can to thwart that.

EDIT: I'll be doing this as soon as I get home... I don't have my PP account info on me.

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Feb 23, 2020, 18:58  wtf_man 

It's not the amount of stores. It's the amount of effin' spyware / drm launchers.  

News Comments > Gothic Remake Moving Forward

1. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 10:32  wtf_man 

Hopefully the controls aren't wonky like the original.

If they put it on GOG, I'll pick it up.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 16, 2020, 11:08  wtf_man 

Well, they are a small company, so for them to do R&D, engineering, and manufacturing of a privacy focused phone isn't cheap.

The first wave has already shipped, but doesn't have all the features fully implemented, and the is a waiting list, with several other shipping waves in between.

That's what I meant by the "tech will be mature" by the time I need to replace my phone. I still have a good 2-3 years left on my current iPhone and I only replace my phone every 5 years or so.

That said, Pinephone (a base linux phone.. can run UBports (Ubuntu Touch), Plasma Mobile, Phosh, SailfishOS, LuneOS, etc.) is a cheaper alternative. I may go that route, when the consumer version is available. (Current Braveheart that just shipped is a Developer phone)

I don't load apps (usually being more spyware) on my phone other than ad blockers and Multi-factor Authentication apps for work. Fortunately, the Librem 5 has the blockers buit-in, and MFA authentication can be done via text instead of an app.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2020, 11:46.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2020, 16:00  wtf_man 

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 22:13:
Why do people supporting this corp?

Because some of us rather be spied on by "this corp" than Google due to how the company makes it's money (which isn't by slurping your info). Fsck Google.

That said... my next phone will be a Librem 5 when my current phone needs to be replaced. Librem 5 tech will be mature by then.

News Comments > Starbreeze Insider Trading Conviction

3. Re: Starbreeze Insider Trading Conviction Feb 13, 2020, 12:58  wtf_man 

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 11:06:
How does your bank 'pressure' you into selling your shares? Maybe things are different in Sweden?

Only thing I can think of would be some sort of debt owed to he bank and they wanted their money?

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 11:06:
Also, this seems wrong:

According to Swedish law, the punishment equates to the to the profit generated through the crime, which is said to be more than $70,000.

It seems the punishment should amount to more than just giving back exactly what you stole.

They are talking about 2 different people... one that appears to have gotten off scott free.. the other one was convicted. I think the one that was convicted was the only person that had to pay the $70k. He got "probation"... so it looks like the Fine is more of it being "restitution and probation" than a fine and jail time.

That's the way I'm reading that.

3265 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >