Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 3025 (Veteran)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
21. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 26, 2018, 14:31 wtf_man

Klaus Flouride wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 03:20:

Several of these seem to do the same thing so which one do you use?

Yes, they do. I was listing options.

I use uBlock Origin with the "Easy Privacy", "Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List", and "Fanboy’s Social Blocking List" filters turned on amongst most of the rest of them turned on too.

I also use Nano Defender to get around most sites that have adblock "blocking".

I am considering installing uMatrix with a manual set default to not allow any scripts, but I need a block of time to really figure out what scripts to generally whitelist since that would break just about every site.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2018, 13:15 wtf_man

Definitely annoyed with this. Same mis-management as Schaffer's Broken Age. Beamdog will definitely never get another backing from me as well.  

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 25, 2018, 17:15 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 15:53:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 13:33:
Got you beat, I've never logged into FB.

It's highly likely you still have a facebook shadow profile even if you've never used facebook.

If one blocks social media links / icons with ublock origin or other privacy tools like Disconnect, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, Bo Scripts, or Ghostry... any profile would be fairly insignificant, if one exists at all.

News Comments > The Crew 2 in June
4. Re: The Crew 2 in June Mar 16, 2018, 13:40 wtf_man

No offline mode. No sale.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2018, 09:27 wtf_man

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 23:43:
she screwed the wealthy elite out of billions and isn't going to jail for it. i'd call that a half point to the little guy if nothing else. probably the only reason she isn't sharing a cell with bernie madoff.

Uh... wealthy and elite are not the only ones that have investments. Have a 401k? 457b? IRA?

The little guy get's screwed too, especially if they have a retirement firm making blanket / diverse investments (which may have included Theranos) so the average joe doesn't have to be a stock expert for their retirement plan.

If you plan to live on Social Security alone.... good luck with that, and have fun eating Alpo.

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
45. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:05 wtf_man

I'm not exactly sure why folks are still craving HL3.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks HL2 wasn't all that great. (Compared to the first game... and obviously not talking graphics improvements)

/shrug

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
53. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 12:23 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 00:04:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 21:52:
Pretty much done backing games on Kickstarter. Not that I have backed very many, but every single one has been mismanaged or turned into something that wasn't what I originally backed.

I've had the opposite experience. The majority of my backed projects have turned out successfully. Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2, Broken Age, Consortium, Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Overfall, Banner Saga, Sheltered, Hard West, Diluvion, Dex, A Hat in Time, Unrest, Road Redemption, Torment, Dreamfall Chapters, Dead State, Carmageddon: Reincarnation, etc.

Not all projects ended up being as good as I'd hoped but that's true of all games regardless of funding model. Overall, I've been happy with crowdfunded output and have no issues continuing to support it.

How to have good results with crowdfunding:
- Don't back projects by people that have never shipped a game before (or haven't shipped one in over a decade).
- Understand how much games actually cost to develop (hint: they're really, really expensive).
- If you back something because of nostalgia, recognize that what you loved so long ago may not quite hold up anymore.
- Don't pledge more than $30. Those higher tier rewards might look enticing but if the project fails, you won't get anything at all. The riskier the project, the less you should pledge.
- Realize that the release date estimates are almost guaranteed to be wrong and development will take an additional 1-3 years.
- Don't get too attached to specific features or content described in the initial pitch. Game development is an iterative process and features/content will inevitably be changed or cut.

Wasteland 2 was the only exception for what I backed.
I consider Broken Age in the "mismanaged" category... I won't give Tim another Dime, crowdfunding-wise.

And yes... I mostly follow those guidlines.

I have System Shock, Squadron 42, and Shroud of the Avatar left to go. Kingdom Come... even though I backed it I will probably get the GOG version since I'm trying to get off Steam completely.

Like I said... I haven't backed many... but if you look at the ratio of my results... it ain't good.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
44. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 21:52 wtf_man

Pretty much done backing games on Kickstarter. Not that I have backed very many, but every single one has been mismanaged or turned into something that wasn't what I originally backed.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 17, 2018, 12:14 wtf_man

panbient wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 06:28:
If anything the purely cosmetic microtransactions should be the most benign but I'm quite certain the majority of the people who read this site remember the Oblivion Horse Armor shitfit from back in the day.

The problem was that was unique to the game.

It probably would have gone over better if there was a selection Horse Armors already in the game... then the DLC was super fancy / awesome PACK (More than one) in comparison.

Also... everyone needs to remember that Bethesda was "trying / testing" their DLC methods... not looking to make a killing on Horse Armor.

I don't mind cosmetic DLC... as long as they purposely don't make things super mundane in the initial release to make you buy it. Extra effort, post game release, should be rewarded.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 12, 2018, 12:07 wtf_man

Any backers get notified on how to get their copy yet? I haven't received squat.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 8, 2018, 13:40 wtf_man

So what happens if ALL the ISPs in the state violate Net Neutrality rules (Not like Hawaii could have that many)... do they drop the internet for all their government employee offices and shut down all the government web servers???

Not saying it would happen... just seems interesting on the "who needs who" front. Bigger States with way more carriers have a much better chance of getting away with this.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Combat Improvement Plans
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Combat Improvement Plans Feb 8, 2018, 11:13 wtf_man

I loved this game. I'd even go as far to say it was my favorite MMO of all time.

Why did I quit after a year and a half after launch? Typical MMO bullshit. Moving the goal posts (more levels / hard to come by top crafting items becoming obsolete), nerfs, changes that caused re-specs without remembering your old choices (and if you screwed up trying to set things back, you blew your free re-spec).

Basically crap you never have to deal with in a single player sandbox like Skyrim.

So, after many years of MMOs from M59 through ESO... I'm forever done with MMOs. It was a good run, though.

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
3. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 29, 2018, 19:37 wtf_man

Don't Care about EA, I don't buy their games anyway since Origin... and MS couldn't possibly do any worse with them (aka just as bad).

Don't care about PUBG.

Steam however, I will drop in a heartbeat if MS buys them. (Which is fairly feasible for me since I've converted a majority of my game library to GOG... and would remain offline mode forever for the Steam games that I already purchased)

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
5. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 12:47 wtf_man

Maze / Labyrinth in space. Basically going to dungeon crawl with a spaceship. Got it.

Not sure we needed a 30 minute video to get the concept.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Video
3. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Video Jan 25, 2018, 09:40 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 23:06:
This is looking pretty good. Not $80 good like they're asking for it, lol, but I'll pick it up - depending on reviews - before too long and the price comes down to the $40 or less range.

$80? Glad I backed it for much less when they kickstarted it.

News Comments > John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie?
25. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 18:14 wtf_man

Now just get Uwe Boll to direct, produce, and write it... and they have a sure shot at a box office smash hit!  

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Trailer
9. Re: Underworld Ascendant Trailer Jan 17, 2018, 18:39 wtf_man

Ultima Underworld is still my all-time favorite.

Quinn wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 11:28:
It does not look good yet. This game obviously isn't set for 2018 so don't get your hopes up.

Not sure if you are taking about the art direction or not. They decided to go kind of "WoW-Style" for the art instead of realistic, which is disappointing many of us fans.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
22. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 31, 2017, 11:05 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 22:50:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 20:52:
My point was no media is in the middle. I think they all have bias.

Ideology and bias are completely different things. Any alignment can be sincere, any can be biased. I'd say CNN is central, but biased towards shallow sensationalism.

CNN looks a bit right-wing to me, because I'm centre-left. It sounds like you're centre-right and, as per my original point, you half-believe Fox when they tell you that their competitors are the evil liberal media.

Ideology has no place in journalism (we're talking straight news stories here, not commentators that are purely opinion, and one knows it up front) . One can't be unbiased if they inject their ideology OPINION into the news story.

My beliefs in journalistic bias have nothing to do with Fox News nor even right-wing radio shows. Heck, I believe even a po-dunk newspaper in BFE America has bias, and that could be either left or right depending on the town. It all has to do with the way they report the news. Almost every reporter slants the news towards his/her point of view. And that is WRONG. Freedom of speech is one thing... using the power of the media to coerce people towards your personal beliefs is another.

Now, if your views mostly align with the reporters you are reading/listening to, and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling to have your personal views be blessed and confirmed by the media's views... well good for you, I guess.

That said... the inaccuracy being reported in this day and age to scoop the story is overwhelmingly rampant nowadays. For example: Take a non-partisan story like a local brush fire. One news outlet will say 5000 acres burned, another will say 10000, another will say 12000... then when the fire is out, they all say 6000 acres total burned.

My point is, one can't take anyone's reporting at face value. One has to wait for the actual result.

All the scare mongering of an administration doing this or that is just ridiculous. I mean that from both the Obama era and Trump era. Overly dramatized and usually inaccurate.

19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 30, 2017, 20:52 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 13:24:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 12:48:
CNN ain't center. By Far. However, I will concede that MSNBC is far more left.

Who is centre in the media? Are you politically central, or would you say you lean left or right?

My point was no media is in the middle. I think they all have bias. Journalism is suppose to report the facts. period. Not inject opinion or slant based on personal nor political views. Unfortunately just about all journalists does that, because main the reason most of them became journalists was to "change the world"... which is not the proper reason to become a journalist.

As far as my politics... I see myself as fairly center. Sometimes I lean a little right or left depending on what the issues is, but almost never to the extreme right or left.

Hell... I don't even think it's left vs. right as much as it is "densely populated areas" vs. "sparsely populated areas". The "rules" for these areas just don't work for one another. Completely different environments and issues.

/shrug

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 30, 2017, 12:48 wtf_man

CNN ain't center. By Far. However, I will concede that MSNBC is far more left.  

3025 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo