Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2878 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 7, 2012, 09:49 wtf_man

Tons of electronics stores have bit the dust... Circuit City, Good Guys, Federated (West Coast stuff if you are not familiar with some of those)... and pretty much for the same reasons...

Overpriced Electronics
Unknowledgable Staff
Staff trying to strong arm you into extended warranties
Repairs that take forever when you bring the product in to be fixxed

Add Worst Buy's BS:
Bait and Switch Prices online vs. a store
Rebates that they almost never pay on
Warranties almost never honored
Extreme hurdles to return items

I'm kind of surprised they lasted longer than Circuit City (which wasn't quite as bad... but still pretty bad)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 7, 2012, 09:39 wtf_man

Well... if there was a decent PC Port.... and the game was about the first movie (blowing up a town because of some natives of the town are trying to kill you)... I'd buy it.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 7, 2012, 08:59 wtf_man

Kajetan wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 08:01:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 23:13:
So, since it's on gog, are we finally getting a DRM free version of Riddick?
We do.

Couldn't pass that up. I have the Original game on DVD, but I never got Dark Athena... so the enhanced version of the Original + Dark Athena, DRM free, and for $6.... hell yeah!

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 6, 2012, 10:18 wtf_man

Microsoft isn't going to have a sudden death in the enterprise by any means. Active Directory is still the most robust and 3rd party supported Directory services out there.

As for everything moving to outsourced cloud services... for a lot of companies and government agencies... that's impossible... there is confidential data that can't be put on someone else's storage and services. So while the coud may whittle down IT some, it won't eliminate IT shops in companies altogether. I kind of feel sorry for the Comp Sci graduate these days... getting a job will be tougher than ever, unless you move overseas. Anyway, my point is... the cloud has it's place... but at the same time you can't have critical or confidential data in the cloud.

As for the desktop... Windows 8 won't fly in the enterprise. The last thing the enterprise wants is users accessing an app store, and completely retraining users to use a kludgy interface for the mouse and keyboard. Users are not suddenly going to get windows 8 tablets to do their work. So, for the Enterprise... Windows 8 is a huge mistake... and will be skipped for the most part, like Vista was. As for Tablets, we've already deployed ipads with Mas360 for enterprise control, and we can virtualize apps with Citrix or VMWare... so I don't see our users having a sudden desire for Windows 8 tablets.

Anyway... I pretty much think Windows 8 will flop on the desktop, like Vista did. I'm not sure how well the tablets will be received... I would imagine that they are too late again.

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
42. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 09:58 wtf_man

Since I never played it, I can't formulate a valid opinion on whether it is a good game or not.

I can say that from the gameplay videos I have seen, I pretty much have no interest. It MIGHT be a decent $5-$10 bargain binner to pick up... but that's about it, to me.

I think they went the wrong direction as far as a new IP goes. Post Apocalyptic is getting as common as Zombie and WWII shooters. They should have gone for HELL as a new IP... as in the best levels of Doom 3 were the few that are set in HELL.

/shrug

News Comments > Vanguard F2P Details
14. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 5, 2012, 09:34 wtf_man

1AngryGamer wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:16:
GWell there is a novel fucking idea. You mean like...EVERQUEST BACK IN 19 FUCKING 99 before 2004 and MMO's got ruined by WoW?

Is that what you mean? WHOA HOW NOVEL.

It's nothing like Everquest's forced grouping. Not even close.
Since you obviously haven't played it... you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 18:58:
I agree. And if it's anything like the first game, I know I'll get bored pretty quickly. I thought the first Guild Wars was a horrible game.

Its nothing like the first game either. The first game is heavily instanced, this game is not... it's more like a regular MMO in a "persistant world" aspect.

If you guys are going to bash the game... at least do your homework first and read up on the gameplay (there are plenty of press previews out there), since you can't speak from experience.

News Comments > Vanguard F2P Details
10. Re: Vanguard F2P Details Jul 4, 2012, 11:27 wtf_man

PHJF wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:12:
Honestly once guild wars 2 comes out why even bother with most of these older games?

People keep saying that but I've yet to see the evidence substantiating GW2 as the second coming of Christ. All I have to go on are videos and while some of the ideas presented are interesting (as in, "gee, this is something that obviously should have been implemented into MMOs a long fucking time ago"), it still mostly looks like standard MMORPG.

Well... it isn't a second coming.
It is a relatively large step in the right direction for the stale and oversaturated MMO genre, but you are right... at its core, it is still a standard MMORPG.

The huge factor for PvE is that it does encourage (not force) players to cooperate, without having to actually group up. This puts the 'M' back in MMO, IMO. The huge factor for PvP / WvW is that everyone is boosted to level cap, with only a slight advantage to those that are actually at level cap, so one doesn't have to PvE if they don't want to (one can actually level up on PvP / RvR only... even though their relative level is at cap))... and it is a modern version of DAoC RvR, which most agree is one of the best PvP systems out there for MMOs.

For MMO veterans... it is a bit refreshing. For MMO noobs it is probably the new benchmark to compare future MMOs against (Gameplay-wise... not WoW Population-wise).

If you play the game with the grounded expectations that I have laid out... you probably will enjoy it. If you expect the "second coming"... you won't.

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
33. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 15:45 wtf_man

I've never cared about selling my games, because I collect them. Sometimes I'll come across one of my old games and install it to play it again after many years.

But, I guess some people like the ability to sell them for money towards new games.

I'd rather have a 30 day money back guarantee for a crappy game, than the ability to resell them. I'd even settle for a modest 10% restocking fee deducted.

/shrug

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
63. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 10:10 wtf_man

Bhruic wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 04:42:
But the claim they are only available on Origin isn't one of them.

I can agree with that, however, almost all of their new games makes you sign up for Origin just to play them... whether you have to install the Origin client or not. Same with Ubisoft's new 1 time activation bullshit.

Activate online via a product code and anonymously... I can handle. Force me to register an account with the company? Fuck You - not gonna happen.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 09:02 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 02:49:
That said, I'm sure many apps will do an incredibly good job of hiding it.

I'll have to wait and see bout that. Until then, I can't see any advantage to upgrading... there's very little under the hood that entices me... faster boot... improved task manager... that's about it. Not even worth the $40, IMO.

35. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 01:19 wtf_man

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 00:20:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:52:
I also have zero social networking accounts, nor do I visit social networking sites.

ALMOST zero; I mean, you have an account here

^D^

Well, I don't consider the handful of forums / communities that I participate in, to be "Social Networking"... at least not anything on the scale of Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Linked-In, Digg, Google+, etc. etc. where the primary business model is to mine your data.

Anyway, the point is... one can't totally eliminate data mining on the Internet, but one can significantly reduce their own target surface... which is what I proactively choose to do.

And in the spirit of maintaining a small target surface, I do not wish to create an account on every fucking publisher's portal... which is another reason to stick with steam... they are "Publisher Neutral" (as far as a distribution site goes).

27. Re: EA to Jul 2, 2012, 23:52 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:14:
Stop using google then, or any search engine for that matter. You'd be amazed at just how many websites alone mine you for data.

I don't.
I use Duck Duck Go.
I also have zero social networking accounts, nor do I visit social networking sites.
I also run ScriptNo and Albine's Do Not Track Plus.
I run in incognito mode all the time so nothing is cached, and I spoof my user agent and referrer.
I also run with flash cookies off.
About the only thing I haven't done is use a proxy network like Tor... mainly because I'm unwilling to put up with the slow performance, and masking my IP is not my intention.

Is it fullproof? Hell no... but I make it tough on the marketing bastards, and for surfing the Internet... I'm more off the grid than people that don't proactively do shit.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2012, 00:15.

21. Re: EA to Jul 2, 2012, 23:12 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:03:
So it's ok for Valve to cut out retailers, but not ok for EA to do it because their "evviillll" /Dr Evil voice You people crack me the fuck up.

Cutting out retailers has nothing to do with it. I will never provide data mining opportunities to EA, nor Ubisoft (or any others). I don't even like doing it for Steam... but if I gotta do it... I'll stick with one account with one company, thank you... and Steam was first.

/shrug

GoG is an exception, for obvious reasons.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 23:07 wtf_man

Shok wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 22:09:
If I do buy it I will mod the fuck out of it to get rid of Metro.

You will have to run a different shell than explorer... like WindowBlinds or Aston.

Even then metro, will still be under the hood... and I'm not sure you can get rid of it all the way, nor the xbox live crap.

18. Re: EA to Jul 2, 2012, 23:02 wtf_man

smg77 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 22:39:
Yeah...I'm never using Origin.

If EA wants my money they better put their stuff back on Steam.

Correction... put their stuff back on Steam AND not make you logon to Origin to activate or play.

Just because they put it on Steam doesn't mean they won't try to strong arm you into signing up for Origin.

2. Re: EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period" Jul 2, 2012, 20:59 wtf_man

Never signing up for Origin. Period.  

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 20:58 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 20:55:
$39.99 is a decent price but I still don't feel the need to upgrade from win7.

I wouldn't install Windows 8 even if they paid me $399.99.

Fuck Metro.

On another note...
Best Buy mulls streaming online prices directly to stores.

Heh, looks like Worst Buy is going to try a new Bait and Switch scheme.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
24. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 15:35 wtf_man

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 11:38:
I just don't see the hype behind this. Why is this game so loved? Is it because of no monthly fees? Is it because it's not Blizzard and people will jump on the next anti-WoW bandwagon?

I played the beta, and everything seems typical and done to death, can someone point out to me why this is so loved by everyone here? I'm not saying the game was bad but it seemed so run of the mill.

I have already posted about this before... but if you need a recap:

I think GW2 is nudging the genre in the right direction.

PvE is designed for "coop"... not "forced grouping" like the old days... and not "solo only" because folks can't stand asshats in PUGS, or even bothering with LFG.

~ Things just happen all around you and you participate. You can solo content with your own agenda and naturally participate in the spawned dynamic event nearby.
~ Others can join without grouping.
~ There's no kill stealing, ninja looting, griefing.
~Everyone can rez a fellow player and the coop environment encourages you to do so.

It makes for a much more friendly environment. Everyone can have their own agenda, yet play together in peace. That is awesome design, IMO.

Some folks have difficulty understanding what is dynamic about the events (I did at first, too... I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting loot)

~ Renown Heart areas have specific events that go on all the time. Think of these as the WoW NPCs that have an exclamation point. Completeing all the Renown Heart areas in a zone counts towards "completing a zone" (along with finding all the teleporters, points of interest, and skillpoints) for a fairly big reward. Renown hearts are something to do when the Dynamic events spawn near by (that are not the heart events). The questing is a bit different... you don't really need to talk to the npc's to know to do them. Objectives appear in the upper right hand corner (sort of like a realtime quest journal). While it's not absolutely necessary to talk to the npc's, it's a bit more immersive if you do. Your personal story is definitely a quest... it's just done a little bit at a time, every few levels. So, there is questing... it's just a totally different presentation... and it's quite refreshing, IMO... you react to the environment / situation around you, more than being some NPC's errand boy/girl.

~ In a zone, several dynamic events can be going on... at several stages in a chain. So while the events are the same the status in the chain is different. The objective is to stickaround for all the events in a given chain, and defeat the final boss for a Chest of loot etc. The problem is... people often leave in the middle of the chain thinking they're done (Like I was).

This video (although dry in narration) explains it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36woC3LJ8Y

Although that videos is about leveling... it explains the difference between Renown Heart Events and Dynamic Events.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 wtf_man

Acleacius wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 10:08:
Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck!

It's 3 times, right?

Well, if you haven't been in the BWE's to know or not... it doesn't and won't suck, IMO.

I'm not going to say it is perfect, since I don't think any MMO can ever achieve that... but it is definitely a few steps in the right direction.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
26. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 wtf_man

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 21:26:
Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?

Teh Gabe's Big Mac attacks are satisfied with teh left4dead, portal, and Steam stuff... so teh Gabe does not give a shit.

2878 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo