Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2849 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
33. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 09:15 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 09:02:
2 years too late, I'm not sure they'll get any serious traction unless they sell it at a major loss for awhile. When it comes right down to it I'm just not sure there is this large untapped touch screen market, it seems like Apple already has the "casual Youtube and email" demographic pretty well cornered.

Agreed.

That, and they are woefully behind on apps. IOS and Android just have way too much of a lead in that area. Of course, I'm talking Metro apps and not windows thick apps. As for windows thick apps.... they've never been too successful on a tablet, so that's more of a side feature. Maybe the inclusion of a track-pad in their case keyboard will make a difference, though.

I still think they're too late... and selling at a loss would have to mean selling at a huge undercut of iPad and Android.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
59. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 15:31 wtf_man

Time to throw a party!!!

Celebrating one year of not signing up for Origin! YEAH!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 08:58 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 06:43:
Way to burn your bridges idiot. No wonder Linux is the red-headed stepchild of OS's.

Every time I think about trying to learn Linux I am turned off in short order when I realize that the community is predominantly comprised of arrogant, self-entitled pricks. Apparently it starts at the top.

Yeah, you guys are soooo edgy and cool because you use an OS that no one else does. With a moron like this guy running it looks certain to remain that way too.

There are plenty of distros out there with good and helpful communities. Linux Mint is probably one of the best to get started with, since everything works out of the box, for the most part.

As for Linus "running it", that's a little off. He runs the kernel development, and actually does very little coding on it these days. He tries to keep the kernel contributors on the same page. All of the Distros (Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) and their respective communities, have nothing really to do with Linus. A "distribution" is much more than just the kernel. The linux distros that are intended to be nooby friendly, usually have a more friendly community, and are very helpful.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
57. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 18, 2012, 01:05 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:23:
Actually PC's CAN connect to thunderbolt. I just saw a motherboard announcement somewhere where they made a thunderbolt add on for it (some sorta special connector that gave direct access to PCI-E lanes). I think it was something from asus?

I'm not sure if that would utilize my discrete graphics card vs. the Intel onboard crap GPU, though. So that would defeat the purpose for a gaming rig.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 22:56 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 21:28:
I'd love when nvidia would answer with a "F*ck you too" back and announces tomorrow it stops development of the binary driver. What would he do then? ^^

Uh.... Android devices are linux based... and nVidia really wants a piece of that pie, so they'd be stupid to stop making binary drivers for linux.

But to answer your question... rely on AMD, Intel, for the Desktop and other chip makers in the mobile market.

/shrug

54. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 19:30 wtf_man

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 19:00:
This is a segment from Ask The Techies showing you how to connect a PC on your network and run Windows on a Mac using Microsoft's free remote desktop connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4livj-J4c

That's not what I mean. I already RDP to remote into Windows computers, at work from my current iMac. RDP isn't exactly good for gaming. I want my gaming rig (a full blown windows pc) to connect to the iMac as a monitor.

It looks like I can't even do a mac mini + the 27" thunderbolt display (PC's won't connect to that either). Sometimes Apple really pisses me off.

EDIT: Actually the previous (non Thunderbolt) Cinema Display + Mac Mini would work... I may go that route.

50. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 18:31 wtf_man

Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 16:06:
Actually I'm waiting for an iMac, because I do dev on it... And don't want to build a hackintosh : )

-Alamar

Yeah, I'll probably be going with then next 27" iMac myself. My 2007 20" iMac is starting to show it's age.

I just wish the fricken iMac would allow video input, so I could share it with my Windows Gaming Rig.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 16
9. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 16 Jun 17, 2012, 13:58 wtf_man

All I have to say is, Fuck being politically correct.

Every year it gets worse. The world has been completely pussified.

38. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 13:55 wtf_man

Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 13:08:
1440p baby! That's where it's at...

-Alamar

I have zero intentions of buying a new 60" TV anytime soon, and 1080p is more than enough. I can already see the pot marks on actor's bad skin. Any bit sharper would probably make me want to vomit. As for 3D.. zero interest in that too... that shit gives me a splitting headache within 20 minutes.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2012, 14:01.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 11:27 wtf_man

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 11:09:
http://www.amigafilm.com/Site/Viva_Amiga_-_The_Documentary_Film.html

It looks like they are already funded on Kickstarter. So I'll probably buy a copy when it is done.

... and yes, I had an Amiga along with my 286 at the time. Too bad it never took off as a viable commercial success. It definitely was ahead of it's time. I remember that Video Toaster was the broadcasters choice of the times... they were beating Apple at their main purpose (creative apps)... so between the PC for business, and the Amiga for creative stuff... Apple was hurting pretty bad at the time. I guess I'm fairly surprised that Apple survived and Commodore went under, given the circumstances.

29. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 11:13 wtf_man

A lot of people are claiming this document is a fake.

Since it is an alleged leak... I'd take it with a grain of salt

/shrug

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2012, 21:39 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 16:06:
Fucking scamming cunts keep on using the Amiga name to scam people.

Amiga deserved a much better death than this where it's now a shambling zombie, neither alive nor dead. It's a shame to see such a great computer from the past being dragged through the mud for so many years.

Just get the real modernized Amiga OS: http://www.amigaos.net/

With fairly modern hardware: http://www.amigaos.net/hardware/35/amigaone-x1000

/shrug

A bit spendy... but that's something I'd use for online transactions, and have little to no fear of viruses or being hacked. Then there's the nostalgia thing.

News Comments > Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling
13. Re: Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling Jun 15, 2012, 10:27 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 23:41:
An article I recently read said he earned like $110M over his pitching career and had about $50M left. Apparently between what he initially invested and other credit facilities he extended the company, he's actually almost broke now. That hasn't been confirmed but he apparently banked almost everything he had in the bank on 38 Studios.

Well... apparently he will be filing his own personal Chapter 7, if he really did personally guarantee (signed or co-signed outside the umbrella of 38 Studios as the entity acquiring the loan) the loan.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
54. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 09:44 wtf_man

Jonny wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:33:
That just means you didn't enjoy it, it doesn't say a thing about it's depth or complexity since you missed a good 90% of the game.

That said, when I first tried WoW I quit by level 40 as well, because a couple of months of dragging around on foot doing mindless shitty grind quests bored the hell out of me too. It's only been since the "casualisation" and "ez-mode" that's so horrified the hardcore MMO player that I tried it again and started to enjoy it.

Actually, I made it to level 60 something, but I digress.

because a couple of months of dragging around on foot doing mindless shitty grind quests bored the hell out of me too

That's the point. They don't even QUALIFY as quests. THERE IS NO DEPTH IN THE CONTENT. The same menial tasks, over and over. Boring as fucking hell. The grind changed from the old-school way of camping mobs / playing "whack-a-mole" for xp, to being an "errand boy" doing the same menial shit over and over again. You don't even have to do any exploring or investigating... just look for the assholes with the exclamation points over their heads!!! The grind changed, that's all. It's still a grind, and due to the lack of depth to these so called "quests", it was friendly enough for noobs and disguised the grind for a lot of folks. It certainly didn't disguise the grind for me. ...And to call those things "quests", makes me want to vomit.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2012, 09:50.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
51. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 09:24 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:18:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:12:
ASeven wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 21:16:
$300M down the drain.

$150-200M according to the Wiki page -- although that is just estimates, the actual cost has not been publicized. And they did have a million subscribers in three days, so I am guessing they didn't actually lose money.

Going by EAlouser's blog since he was right in everything else.

As for them not losing money, of course they did. Costs for marketing and running a MMO are very high. No amount of sold copies could make money, indeed there's not a single subscribe-based MMO out there that made money by selling copies of the games alone.

The rumor is another 80 Million for marketing, launch, and maintaining through April.

So the max I've heard is 380 Million, total... not including May and June operational costs.

49. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 09:18 wtf_man

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:14:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:06:
Tons of content, yes... but those things??? Sorry, I disagree. Wow bored the shit out of me within the first few levels... and I stuck it out through the mid levels.

You only stuck it out through the mid levels, and yet you speak authoritatively about its content and depth?

Yeah... I suppose a couple months of being bored to death isn't enough time to make a judgement, or form an opinion, about a game's content and depth. Rolleyes

44. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 09:06 wtf_man

s1mon75 wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 08:12:
For those who think Wow is 'retard friendly', allow me to elaborate further.

To a point your right, early in Wow's development the phrase used by Blizz was 'Easy to Learn, Hard to Master'. Much like Chess its not hard to understand what pieces move to where, but there is so much depth to to the game after learning the basics. Thats called Substance.

You're joking, right? Depth? Substance? Hard to Master??? /ROFLMAO

Tons of content, yes... but those things??? Sorry, I disagree. Wow bored the shit out of me within the first few levels... and I stuck it out through the mid levels.

It was the lack of substance that made me quit, and never look back.

/shrug

41. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 07:53 wtf_man

Kajetan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 06:22:
Heck, they might just re-activate the Neverwinter or Baldurs Gate franchise to make a good buck with mass appeal fantasy action games for the console market.

Uh... I don't think they can. BG was Published under Interplay, which had the D&D license, and NWN was published under Atari, who still has the D&D license. Since EA absorbed Bioware, that was all she wrote for any D&D IP made by Bioware.

As for the "Neverwinter MMO" by Cryptic / Perfect World... Cryptic was under Atari before being sold off to Perfect World... so apparently the license for that game was part of the deal.

2. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play" Jun 14, 2012, 21:12 wtf_man

Laugh2

News Comments > TERA Free Trial
28. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 10:29 wtf_man

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 10:13:
Tera has no lock-on system. If GW2 doesn't, either, then perhaps they are similar.

Compare for yourself by trying Tera for free.

While there is "locked on" targeting in GW2 (As in, a specific mob's health appears in the UI hud), one pretty much auto-targets the mobs the player is facing, and continues to do so as you mow down the mobs. Any mobs close by will get hit too (unless, at range, you purposely use a single target shot). The only time you'd really use tab (or click a specific mob) would be to switch targets that are sort of in range but have trash mobs in front of them (like a boss)... and from a long range, which mob you want to pick off first (if the auto targeted one isn't the mob you want), unless you are going to pull with an AOE shot.

It sort of sounds like GW2 is a hybrid, since every class can hit multiple mobs, yet have targeting.

2849 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo