Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2941 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Grid 2 Announced
5. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:18 wtf_man

Before you all get too excited...

There's no cockpit / driver view in this one.

Just FYI.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
45. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 10:30 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:19:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 06:54:
All they did was attempt to do what they feel their OEMs have failed to do (and I think anyone that's played much with 99% of the Android tablets would agree that HTC and Samsung have mostly failed to compete with the iPad.)

Because if experienced OEMs like Samsung and HTC can't do it, then by golly, Microsoft surely can? Because MS's track record with hardware is phenomenal.

Oh, wait...

It's actually kind of funny to see Microsoft try to become Apple, when that has never been their forte, and unless they dramatically restructure the company (and hire people with the know-how to get it done), it will never happen. They will just keep floundering with one failed product after another, while at the same time absolutely ignoring what their actual CUSTOMERS are telling them. It's a small sample size, and probably confirmation-biased, but I know around 30 or 40 guys in different IT departments in Tulsa, OKC, Houston, Denver and a few other places, and so far not a single one has said that their IT department has ANY plans to upgrade to Windows 8 within ANY kind of timeframe.

Yet MS bullishly continues with Win8 the way it is, because after all, WE MUST COMPETE WITH TEH IPAD!!1!1!

Balmer couldn't run a fucking lemonade stand. Within two years he'd have the kids growing oranges, because dammit, WE MUST COMPETE WITH MINUTE MAID!

Why they ever handed him the keys to one of the world's largest companies (at the time) is beyond understanding.

Creston

Agreed. Windows Tablets / Windows 8 will probably be as successful as Zune.

Nokia is still bleeding money after doing Windows phones, an it's not looking like it will improve much.
Q2 2012 Nokia Losses Announced

Once again... Microsoft is too late to the game.

40. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 09:08 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 23:50:
A quick Google shows that the Optiplex you linked has a 305W PSU and no room for a dual-slot card or anything passively cooled. And 2GB of RAM doesn't leave much room for anything other than Windows 7.

Sometimes I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

305 Watts is plenty for a 75 Watt GPU.

Windows 7 can run on 512MB... granted, swapping to disk with basically opening 1 decent sized app. Vista couldn't. 2GB, while not ideal, will run most games just fine. Most of the OS will swap to disk. It is the games with the memory leaks that will be an issue.

Again... the point was a system, without integrated graphics, that could play games decently, AT A CONSOLE'S PRICE.

It definitely wasn't a recommendation. It was a proof of concept.

One can find a $200 machine (it doesn't have to be the one that I quickly found), and slap a modern graphics card in it that doesn't require external power connections, and play games decently. One would be better off spending around $500, but that's not console price.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2012, 09:14.

28. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 23:37 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 23:21:
2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, and more likely than not a PSU built to power exactly the components it includes and would not be able to run that GPU.

The point was that it was an entry gaming system. Just like a console, where you buy extra controllers and such, eventually you would need to beef up the weaknesses of the PC listed. 4GB of ram is pretty cheap, and so is a bigger hard drive.

As for the PSU, there's probably plenty of room for that GPU. We have budget GPUs in similar Optiplex models at work, driving 2 to 3 monitors. The cards were added in later... not bought with the systems.

Heck... even a beefier base $400 - $500 system would be better than a console, IMO... but I was trying to keep it near average console cost. One really doesn't need a $2000 system anymore to decently play games on a PC.

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 23:11 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 22:38:
Joss wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 22:27:
They should just throw in a keyboard & mouse... oh wait.

Entry level gamers who WANT CONTROL are better off going to Walmart and buying a $367.00 computer.

Yup, because Intel integrated graphics will run anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155386

plus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129232 (Fastest card without external power connections)

$305.00 + shipping.

Not the fastest thing in the world, but good enough for a budget machine, and would play most games at medium settings. Probably would need to get a bigger hard drive later on.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2012, 23:19.

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
2. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 20:25 wtf_man

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 20:21:
This prompted George Broussard to tweet: "THQ is done. Will just be a year or so going through the paces. Will see how Darkstalker 2 team fares post ship."

George knows all about spinning around the drain. He's clearly an expert at it...

Too bad he isn't done.

News Comments > Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week
20. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 6, 2012, 10:03 wtf_man

Gnolt wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 09:17:
"Vancrash Saga of Desktop" is what we used to call it.

Some friends and I used to call it "Vangrind Saga for Zeros"... but you'd have to understand the deep disklike for Brad McQuaid that went with it.

15. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 6, 2012, 00:03 wtf_man

PropheT wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 23:33:
Warhammer did that with public quests years ago and Rift does it with zone invasions and open grouping for events. That sure as hell isn't something revolutionary that they came up with for GW2. Honestly, even the implementation of it has been done better elsewhere.

Well, I disagree.
Warhammer Public quests were tacked on, not really part of the inherent design.

Rift... I couldn't say... never played it, but they seem to be an evolution to WAR's Public Quests.

GW2 from the ground up *is* designed around Dynamic Events, and it has a fairly natural flow of participation with players constantly reacting to the environment circumstances... but if you like... we can even say it is a further evolution of the "public quest" concept.

The point is... it is not anything that Brad would have come up with in his self-proclaimed "The Vision (TM)".

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Aug 5, 2012, 21:57 wtf_man

Even with the issues fixed (If they are)... I can't see spending $20 on a 10 hour shooter.

I am interested in seeing whether Tech 5 fucks Doom 3 up or not.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 5, 2012, 18:19 wtf_man

id Software Games on Steam. Save 75% except for RAGE which is 25% off.

Heh... I probably wouldn't even buy RAGE at 75% off.

EDIT:
Well, maybe I would, since Steam says the regular price is $20 and that would be $5... but there's no way I'd buy it for 75% off of $60 (which would be $15)

9. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 5, 2012, 18:09 wtf_man

NKD wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 16:22:
I really wish McQuaid had come in to work at some point during the last 8 month of development.

Why? He's a complete and utter idiot. The worst thing that happened to the MMO genre was his initial success... we've been stuck with basically EQ clones, and now WoW clones since.

And as for Vanguard... he was too busy doping it up... which shows you where his head was... directly up his ass.

He has some decent ideas on creating worlds, and that's about it... but keep his ass away from the gameplay mechanics / design. Only now with GW2 do we have an MMO that encourages cooperation without forced grouping... and it's been what? 13 or 14 years since EQ came out.

News Comments > LucasArts President Departs
10. Re: LucasArts President Departs Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 wtf_man

El Pit wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 01:09:
They were fired over their plans to release a Star Wars game. Yes, it's true: STAR Wars. Not Clone Wars. The Beard himself fired them and ordered the new LA Prez to immediately start development on "The Clone Wars: The Dark Cradle", dealing with Anakin Skywalker's toddler years. "That's what the fans want", commented The Beard on LA's new game plans.

Then, the beard needs to drop dead.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 08:38 wtf_man

Wow... didn't know so many people were so passionate about DirectX.

I think what really matters is what you can do with the API. When DX9 came out... OGL started falling way behind on eye-candy features.

I don't know if that is still true today, but people complain that 2005-ish era graphics look like ass compared today (UT3, Source, Crytek 1, iD Tech 4, etc.)... and I think they look fine. Then again, I'm not a graphics whore (even though I can't stand crap like minecraft... I do have a minimum standard, which would be Quake 3 Arena / RTCW era stuff).

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 2, 2012, 22:16 wtf_man

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:37:
Carmack has always been about raising the bar and allowing people to create what they will with what he's done.

Make fun of the game all you like, the "code" he throws out there is second to none.

Pop! goes the textures!

News Comments > LucasArts President Departs
3. Re: LucasArts President Departs Aug 2, 2012, 20:34 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:30:
I would have pushed these two out too, seeing as they have yet to release and updated version of Tie Fighter.

And Grim Fandango.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M
4. Re: Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M Aug 2, 2012, 20:33 wtf_man

Cram wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:24:
Less and less are willing to pay $15 a month for any MMO it seems. The subscription based model is going the way of the dinosaurs. Love WoW, or ToR, or hate them, the entire genre is losing people.

Heh... I remember when online games (or the online services) were pay per hour.

News Comments > EA and Take-Two Financials
22. Re: EA and Take-Two Financials Aug 1, 2012, 10:31 wtf_man

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 10:12:
I'm guessing that would mean 700-800K, but even that is being generous...

Even another 500K+ drop from 1.3 Million is a humorous train wreck situation.

When they started the project... I was somewhat intrigued with the concept of immersive story in an MMO... but as they rolled out videos of it over the years (before launch)... it was fairly apparent that the implementation wasn't going to work, especially with forced grouping on flash points, and space on rails mini game.

Bioware had some good ideas, but couldn't deliver on them / execute them properly.

So, now it's just grab the popcorn and watch it burn... which is funny and sad at the same time. Bioware had a real opportunity to change this dull and oversaturate genre, and blew it with "Voiced-Over WoW in space".

19. Re: EA and Take-Two Financials Aug 1, 2012, 09:38 wtf_man

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 09:10:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 09:02:
Hmmm... no TOR numbers in that document.

http://kotaku.com/5930634

"well over" 500,000.

Heh.

/ROFL

Thanks for making my morning!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 1, 2012, 09:11 wtf_man

IT execs prefer Obama on 5 key industry issues: survey

The headline lies... the winner in the table is "NEITHER".

Which, I totally agree with.

However, the real issue is Congress... ALL incumbents need to be voted out, regardless of party... talk about professional crooks! And anyone voted in has to promise a vote yes on term limits, or they get voted out too.

Of course it will never happen.

17. Re: EA and Take-Two Financials Aug 1, 2012, 09:02 wtf_man

Hmmm... no TOR numbers in that document.  

2941 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo