Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2902 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 24, 2012, 09:36 wtf_man

Yay. Windows 8 can draw "ugly ass tiles with text", potentially faster than Windows 7 could if it was laced with that Metro abomination.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:14 wtf_man

Wow... first they (all publishers) bitch about the cost of having to learn / develop for new tech... now they bitch about new tech not being available quick enough, since consumer interest does fade with old tech.

If they would have stuck to the PC, and developed for cpu speed / graphics breakthroughs, as they did in the past... they wouldn't have this fuckin' problem.

As someone else said... back port to the consoles, as needed.

Fuckin' idiots.

News Comments > RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts
3. Re: RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts Jul 19, 2012, 15:43 wtf_man

Counting signing up, playing for an hour or so, and never playing again... is kind of lame.

They need to boast how many active accounts they have... not how many people have fricken tried it.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
3. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 10:08 wtf_man

I mostly don't care since I haven't bought an Epic game since UT2004.

That said... if I were to buy an Epic game... I certainly wouldn't buy one with always on on-line DRM.

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
46. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 wtf_man

PropheT wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 22:57:
There's millions of people playing WoW, still over a million in TOR last I heard, Rift has a large playerbase, EVE has subscriptions, TERA, The Secret World, and a lot of the games people talk about being free to play have them too.

I believe the original quote from Carcifier was:
You aren't going to get people to sign up for 15 bucks a month unless it's a new game that absolutely revolutionizes the genre and blows away WOW.

And for the most part I have to agree with that. We're talking NEW MMOs in a saturated market that has a fairly stale and copied platform.

Established games are able to keep their subscriptions, for the most part, if they are good games and have a customer base that has invested a lot of time on their characters. New MMO's do not have this luxury, and I would have to say a large majority have played MMOs before, and are sick of the same old shit... and are unwilling to pay a fee for the same old shit. So, Carcifier was correct, for the most part... there needs to be a paradigm shift in the genre before mass amounts of people are willing to pay a sustained fee in this day and age. (Key word being sustained)

Now, back to TOR. Yes, it HAD a million subscribers... but Bioware and EA have been doing everything they can to fudge the numbers to make it look like they have sustained that. They just consolidated 140 servers down to about 12. I highly doubt they have anywhere near 1 million subscribers anymore, given that kind of drop in their server numbers.

So, if TOR is truly "WoW in Space", why did it not grow to 14+ million subscribers? Because Carcifier is right, for the most part... Most people are unwilling to pay a monthly fee for the same old shit, with different paint.... especially for the long term. MMOs NEED long term subscribers to survive, if they are going to use the subscription model. TOR hasn't broken even, and that is with the most conservative "rumored numbers" out there for their development costs, marketing, and operational costs. It is bleeding cash and subscription numbers. All of the games you mentioned will go F2P in the near future or die, except maybe Eve... but again... that's an established indie MMO.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2012, 09:35.

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
8. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 15:24 wtf_man

Yakubs wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:56:
Meh, probably doesn't mean anything. I'm sure they don't need every single person who worked on the game to continue working on the game after its release.

Yeah! ...there's ABSOLUTELY no problems with EA, Bioware-Austin, and TOR.

... /snicker

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
19. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 07:51 wtf_man

Games on Linux (Desktop) make about as much sense as games on OSX... and I've had an iMac for my non-gaming needs since 2007. I run zero games on it.

As mobile games get more robust (Android and IOS), an emulator that properly adjusts for screen resolution, keyboard, and mouse makes more sense for gaming on the non-windows platforms, rather than full blown *nix desktop games. There really just isn't the support, nor the momentum for them.

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 07:40 wtf_man

Metro 2033... $5... Looks like THQ is going to nickel and dime me, since I just picked up SR3 a few days ago.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 15:26 wtf_man

I picked up Saints Row the Third for the summer sale. I'm kind of surprised... it's actually good... better than GTA, IMO.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
45. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 20:52 wtf_man

Isn't this thing browser based???

Yeah, I know they say PC and IPad... but it looks like it will be a "partial thick client" app with a browser based renderer. (like Steam)

YUCK!

News Comments > Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers
69. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 20:59 wtf_man

Krovven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 19:46:
Downward decline? Try Google. 2011 profits were way up over 2010 for Activision/Blizzard.

I never said Activision nor Blizzard, and I never said they weren't profitable.
I said WoW and probably COD... two of their major cash cows, are on a downward trend.

It is smart to sell them while they STILL ARE profitable... they can still get good cash while whomever buys it can still make money.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
6. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:23 wtf_man

Don't force me to sign up for Origin.
Don't put ridiculous DRM on PC Games.
Don't make shitty console ports for the PC.

... And I'll start buying EA games again.

/shrug

News Comments > Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers
58. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 19:04 wtf_man

Bosanac wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:22:
I don't get it.. Blizzard is a cash cow.. COD is a cash cow. Why call it liability?

Because WoW is on a downward trend and COD probably is too?

They made their cash... they want to dump Activision before it's not "sellable".... In other words, whomever buys it will probably still make a little money, but the Easy cash is going to go away soon, unless another blockbuster is born (which is the risk).

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial
24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 17:55 wtf_man

*IF* 300 Million is accurate for development costs... 500 million wouldn't be all that far fetched for marketing plus, what, 7 months of operational costs?

Even if it was 150 Million for Development and 100 million for Marketing and 7 months of Operational costs... they are still pretty short short of breaking even (1.5 Million Box sales at $50 and 1 million subs for like 2 months average... comes out to around 180 Million, - not counting anything retail stores took out of the $50 per box for profit margin, since we don't know how much was retail vs. download)

So at best, they're like 70 Million short of breaking even... EVEN with the "low ball" costs assumed. It's probably much worse than that.

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:28:
I'm not sure that something called "blogs.bettor.com" is a reliable source of information.

Creston

How about GamesRadar.com?
Games Radar Article

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 18:09.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial
17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Jul 11, 2012, 15:25 wtf_man

Glykon wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 14:02:
What what ?

They have bought Bioware too officially for abt 800 million... can you really believe they were sooo stupid to pay abt 1.3 billion for that shit ? This is plain and simple money laundering and paying the "right" ppl to keep control over the market. This is corporate world

Pretty sure they got that back or most of it with Bioware's other IPs... Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc... so that doesn't really count. What counts is what they put into SWTOR by itself (which includes paying Bioware Staff for the development of SWTOR)

News Comments > The Secret World Content Plans
8. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 07:28 wtf_man

Why does this announcement scream to me: "We are Funcom, We launch MMOs with major content gaps and bugs... more content coming... we promise!".

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 DLC Announced
4. Re: Serious Sam 3 DLC Announced Jul 10, 2012, 10:36 wtf_man

It's weird... I feel the opposite about Croteam vs. Valve.

I wish Croteam would try some completely new IP with their engine.
I wish Valve would come out with HL 3 or Ep 3.

It is probably because I don't like the SS series very much.

News Comments > New ZDoom and ODAMEX
5. Re: New ZDoom and ODAMEX Jul 9, 2012, 00:06 wtf_man

If Doom Was created today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2012, 20:15 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 19:40:
It will probably shoot up even higher when the DLC is available for the PC.

From what I've read, the Dawnguard DLC is pretty underwhelming so I don't expect it to really help Skyrim's PC sales, especially when the mod community has already released superior DLC for free.

Yeah... I am on the fence to get it as well... While the Vampire Story in Morthal was interesting... I'm not sure they should have gone with that faction for the DLC.

I still think it will shoot Skyrim up to the top 3 of Steam for a week or two, at least.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2012, 19:54 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 17:36:
Two things would get me interested in upgrading, ability to disable metro altogether and a way to switch back to a traditional desktop experience complete with start button - and not some cobbled together 3rd party hack. It should be part of the OS install questions. Xbox Live integration can be ignored completely I assume.

Maybe Windows 9 will be worth getting.

I highly doubt Windows 9 will be any different. Unfortunately MS wants to RAM it's App store down your throat... and the only way they can do that is to force the Metro Platform.

At best... they will have something for the Enterprise version to disable Metro and Start Screen... and that would be only in the Enterprise version, where you have to have a Volume License AND Software Assurance... which is stupidly expensive... especially when you can't get the OS removed from the OEMs (like Dell)... so not only are you payning through the nose, you are paying for the OS more than once.

2902 Comments. 146 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo