Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2902 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 12:38 wtf_man

Storage Real-World Performance: NVMe vs. SATA vs. HDD - TechSpot

Good general info and video comparison. Sometimes tech articles and charts just don't really convey the differences.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Nov 16, 2016, 15:23 wtf_man

I loved it when I played it for the first year or so.

But typical MMO stuff started turning me off... constantly extending the caps, revamping / nerfing the skills, etc. etc. Stuff you don't have to deal with in a Single player game.

I got one Character to Max VL14 (At the time), and two others to Level 50. After a VL16 extension and a round of nerfs... I lost interest to go through the same content, and had no intention of buying expansion DLCs.

So, if you never played it before... it will offer some good times. Just don't expect to be in a cult classic like Everquest or any oterh MMO's you may have spent multiple years in.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 09:56 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 21:35:
Why not just include a sensor that turns the noise on or honks or what have you when it detects a pedestrian on the road? I think one of the big draws of electricars is their silence. They're the ninjas of cars.

Shhh

Or, you know, the driver could just stick his/her head out the window and go "vroom vroom".

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2016, 15:38 wtf_man

I'm speaking from a perspective of a company going after folks for license violations.

Companies generally do not wast attorney fee money going after individuals (can't squeeze blood out of a turnip)... they usually go after another company for bulk violations (bought 20 licenses and are using 40, etc.).

Which is what makes them generally unenforceable.

Idiots like the RIAA and MPAA suing individuals for copyright infringement... completely different story.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2016, 23:46 wtf_man

EULA's are not enforceable
EULA's have tons of stuff that people "don't agree with", yet again a company ties to ram their terms down your throat.
EULA's are mostly so one can't sue the company. While there are instances where a company goes after license violations... it's usually against other companies that are in bulk violation, not individuals. (There's no money in suing individual consumers)

So... I can't sue a company from collecting telemetry against my wishes... but they really can't sue me for taking measures to block said telemetry.

It's just a pain in the ass.

We need to have privacy laws that makes all data collection "opt in"... not educate on useless EULA's.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2016, 20:30 wtf_man

descender wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 20:12:
If you don't want telemetric data sent back to manufacturers and developers you should probably just get off the internet at this point.

Why?

Why must I be forced to participate in something I don't wish to? Why is there no opt-out?
Why must I give my consent for my machine to transmit ANY data to a company without my scrutiny?

Maybe I don't give a shit whether the data is privacy oriented or not... taking data without my permission or forcing me to agree to allow data submission, basically pisses me off and makes me want to do the opposite... and I do go out of my way to block as much telemetry transmission as possible.

ASK... don't force.

/shrug

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 3, 2016, 09:53 wtf_man

Hackers never can be stopped. If it was written by man it can be exploited by man.

The cat and mouse game with Copy protection and later DRM proves that.

One can have the most hardened OS in the world, and massive layers of security devices in between the Host and the perimeter network, and penetration is STILL a possibility.

There is no "Silver Bullet" to Cyber security. It's a permanent cat and mouse game. All one can do is make it as difficult as possible... and proactively continue to make it as difficult as possible. Which takes a lot of money as new thwarting tech is constantly available.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 21:36 wtf_man

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 19:51:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 15:12:

Call me when there is a light ultrabook thin version with a 1060 or better... ...and 1080p is fine for 12-13 inches of display.

Not really, at least not in comparison to modern hi-dpi displays. Once your eyes get used to a high pixel density scaled display, it gets really, really tough to go back to plain 1080p. Text in particular looks particularly rough on 1080p in comparison to displays with 200+ pixels per inch.

The text may not look as crisp, but 4k on a 12-13 inch screen would mean a lot of text would be too tiny to read. (Thinking MMO chat boxes, here). You either have to increase the font size to not get much text int the box or increase both the text and the box to cover up too much screen.

However, my whole point was more in line with wanting an ultrabook... fairly thin, very light, 12-13" (Airplane tray convenient), with a top end GPU.

Like the new Razer Blade Stealth... except with a GTX1060 or better instead of integrated intel HD620.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 15:12 wtf_man

The New Alienware 13 Marks the Arrival of the World’s First 13-inch VR Notebook

Call me when there is a light ultrabook thin version with a 1060 or better... ...and 1080p is fine for 12-13 inches of display.

News Comments > Evening Patches
15. Re: Evening Patches Oct 31, 2016, 15:10 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 09:51:
Another dev repeated the teams thoughts
BMS Chicken Chonnage
Hey, don't worry. We understand if people are apprehensive that Xen will never see the light of day. I personally feel our track record shows that you guys can trust us, but we totally get it if some people feel differently.

That's the beauty of Early Access. You can wait until the game is in a place where you want to buy it, before you buy it. For you, that place will be when we add Xen, and that's totally fine! Call it motivation for us, if you will.

We will certainly release Xen, and it will be amazing. But we know not everyone will trust our word alone, and that's completely fine. Wait for time to prove our integrity!

Fantastic! Thank you!

If they choose to post status monthly or every couple months, towards their target date of Xen, I'd definitely go for early access.

News Comments > Half-Life Black Mesa Xen This Summer
4. Re: Half-Life Black Mesa Xen This Summer Oct 31, 2016, 14:19 wtf_man

Finally!

I hope they will consider some sort of monthly status, so we won't be surprised if they don't hit their target.

12. Re: Evening Patches Oct 30, 2016, 12:22 wtf_man

I don't have to follow the game every minute to have interest.

I am only interested in the full game (I never downloaded the mod, because I'm waiting for Xen)

As far as deadlines... not saying they should have any. I'm talking like monthly status reports...3 levels of Xen at 50%, 2 levels@ 25%, rest at 0%.... something. Anything to SEE progress... instead of bullshit about the linux port and stupid little things they fixed in the pre-Xen levels.

Without knowing their progression... I choose not to support their project at this time. Especially since it's been many years since the Xen levels haven't been done. That's like spending thousands on virtual ships for Star Citizen. Fucking Stupid.

So... since I don't check nearly as often as you do, every once in a while when a news bit comes out, I check... and it's the same no real info BS. It doesn't matter if the "game" you are claiming only came out in 2015... they said Xen levels were coming in 2012. Over 4 years ago. Instead they chose to fuck around with a stand alone re-write, tout a linux port, etc. instead of finishing the fucking game.

Like I said... I like what they are doing... I just don't like how they are going about it.

/shrug

9. Re: Evening Patches Oct 29, 2016, 14:48 wtf_man

Well... I don't follow you. I was looking on the Steam forums for a Xen update after today's blues news bit, and I saw a few of your posts.

Also, I don't follow the game. For the precise reason that they don't ever give out relevant info on status, other than once in a blue moon.

As for the mod being different than the early access game. I don't give a fuck. They are the ones that promised Xen levels over 4 years ago, and have not delivered. Going early access, one can even see posts by folks thinking that the Xen levels would be "soon"... and it's been over a year for that, with no status.

Since your vocabulary on this topic seems to be nothing more than slinging insults, I think it is well proven whom is the "emotional one" of this topic, that you seem to think that you are the sole expert on, and the only one that can have a valid opinion.

7. Re: Evening Patches Oct 29, 2016, 14:00 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 13:20:
...but at least don't comment like a slobbering clueless dolt....

... you seem to have a childish emotional attitude towards it.

So I'm a dolt for only settling for the full remake that has been promised for what... around 10 years? And 4+ years since the unfinished release? I'm expected to wait possibly another 10 years for them to get off their ass to finish it? Without any status?

I like what they accomplished.

I don't like the way they go about it. "When it's done" Doesn't work for an indie group wanting money up front. There's no trust there, with barely any track record. Hell... I hate it when the big boys do that shit. But these guys take forever and a day.

As for calling me childish about their "UPDATE"... there's ZERO info about Xen.... so no... that's NOT an update about finishing the fucking game.

I've seen your posts on the Steam forums regarding this. I don't know what stake you have with these folks... but you are definitely a rabbid fanboi of this title. So we can all definitely take your insults with a huge grain of salt.

/shrug

3. Re: Evening Patches Oct 29, 2016, 11:58 wtf_man

Not getting a dime out of me until they finish Xen, then I will be happy to pay full price.

This bullshit has gone on way too long for an unfinished re-creation, it's been over 4 years since the "mod release" (September 2012). They also have the gaul to charge money without regular updates on Xen status (which I would expect for paying for early access.), and work on / release other things besides Xen.

Finish the fucking game before you charge. Or at least post regular update status for "early access". Not gonna spend money on something that should have been completed long ago on the hope I get the rest of the game in 10 years.

1. Re:Microsoft looks to reinvent the desktop PC Oct 26, 2016, 11:18 wtf_man

Well... if they can pull off a Minority Report interface with HoloLens... that's about the only thing that would be really innovative from them in a long time.

But I'm sure it will have twice the datamining of Windows 10.

News Comments > Uwe Boll Ending Film Career
2. Re: Uwe Boll Ending Film Career Oct 26, 2016, 11:12 wtf_man

"I invested in my own movies and I lost money."

...and several human beings will never get the 2 hours of their lives back from watching one of those piles of utter shit.

News Comments > Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies
37. Re: Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies Oct 26, 2016, 11:05 wtf_man

Well... this pretty much doesn't affect me. I stopped doing pre-orders or day 1 purchases a long time ago. I actually prefer mini reviews after a patch or two, although I still read the release reviews. That gives me a great perspective on whether to purchase a full price for a job well done, wait for a good sale and more patches, or pass on the game entirely.

I guess the bright side to this is that nobody can accuse Bethesda of bribing a journalist with an extra early copy if everyone can only get it 1 day in advance.

/shrug

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 17:55 wtf_man

If you all read the article "The PS4 Pro is basically two PS4 chips, using one for old games and both for Pro enhancements", you would know that the extra 1GB is Actually DDR3 to keep apps tasking in the background and freeing up an extra gig of DDR5 for the games.

Also, Normal games run on 1 GPU near the same stats as the original PS4, and the Pro games will run basically on 2 GPUs. (Basically Cross-fire without the need for more GDDR5, since the unit already has 8GB)

While it's not a mind blowing leap in performance, it's an interesting way to keep backwards compatibility with current PS4 games, make newer higher res "pro" games, and keep the cost down. (without going to a new generation of console.)

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2016, 18:03.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2016, 13:41 wtf_man

What Burrito said. LXDE is closer to a WIndows Desktop.

Or you could just install the LUBUBTU Distro: Lubuntu

Personally I run Mint w/Cinnamon Desktop, but again... that's not lightweight for a Raspberry Pi.

2902 Comments. 146 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo