Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2950 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 16:10 wtf_man

$1200.00 first year

Annual Subscriptions - Visual Studio Professional

Look at Standard Subscriptions Tab.

Have a friend or two go in with you... cuts down the cost... keys still work after you cancel the subscription.

In the chart, look under "Subscriber Benefits" and you will see that "Windows, Windows Server, Windows Embedded, Microsoft SQL Server" is checked for the $1200.00 version. It's a dirty way to get your hands on Enterprise LTSB OS's without technically pirating... but like you said... it's the version that everyone would want and they don't make it easily available.

EDIT: Ah crap... they lock you into subscribing for at lease 3 years:

Look at Cloud vs. Standard Subcription terms:
Committed subscription term - Typically 36 months for most

Which would be an additional $1600 for 2 years.

However...

After the subscription expires, can use the software that was available during the active subscription term (“perpetual” use rights) - Yes in most cases

Bottom line, So yeah... you were right... spendy... $2800 total.
Need to split that cost with 10 friends!

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 16:43.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 11:02 wtf_man

For home, you could get a MSDN subscription. (Now called Visual Studio Pro Subscription)

Going partners with some folks, and not renewing the subscription is pretty much how folks get around the expense... but you didn't hear that from me.

Also, one needs to realize that we had to pay an extra $180 per machine to upgrade to Enterprise LTSB. Machines from Dell and others only come with a Pro license.

LTSB has new "annual builds"... so that's how you get your 10 years from when you purchase. There already was a 2015 and 2016 build... the 2017 LTSB build will come out in the fall and would get security updates until 2027.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 11:59.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:31 wtf_man

LTSB does not do feature updates. It is supported with incident calls for 5 years (which we never use), and security updates for 10 years. (So for us, until 2026)

So, Cortana, Edge, etc. are off by default / and some not installable (Edge), because those are considered to require feature updates.

LTSB is Windows 10 without most of the bullshit. It's intention is for Enterprises not have jolting changes that may break applications (especially legacy applications)... of which we have one that is very sensitive to change and took us months to get working properly in Windows 10. So, imagine potentially having to go through months of work every 6 months. Not a good thing.

That said... one still has to lock it down with group policies and other tweaks during image creation in order to reasonably stop it from phoning home all the time.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 10:47.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 23:12 wtf_man

We run Enterprise 2016 LTSB on our endpoints at work, with group policy turning off all the phone home / telemetry that it possibly can (and some other tweaks).

Still not 100% fullproof, and I wouldn't even run that at home.

They are rumored to come out with a "Workstation OS" based on Server 2016. I might consider that... but it might just be better to run Server 2016 Standard. I'll have to load some games up on it and see how it does.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2017, 12:05 wtf_man

I agree that it depends on the channel... but there are a lot of them that pretty much have over 30% commercials. Or at least used to.... I cord cut in 2007. MTV is an obvious one... Spike... a few others. Very irritating, which is why I cord cut in the first place. That's when I vowed to never pay for a service with commercials again.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2017, 16:02 wtf_man

Charter is Testing a $20, Sports-Free Streaming Service

No interest. Not paying for commercials on any "service".

And I can get local broadcast channels if I put up an HD antenna. (Not that I'd Want to). Broadcast TV nneds to go back to the 60's when there was only like 10% commercials per show... instead of the near 50% now.

/shrug

News Comments > Lode Runner Legacy Next Month
1. Re: Lode Runner Legacy Next Month Jun 29, 2017, 09:48 wtf_man

Actually... there's been a remake out for years, and it's much closer to the original:

ZX Games

News Comments > Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane
14. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 28, 2017, 09:13 wtf_man

Arkane's inspirations was Looking Glass. Arx was their way to pattern after Ultima Underworld.

Dishonored -> Thief.
Prey -> System Shock.

I have no problems with that since I'm a huge Looking Glass fan, and at least someone tried to pick up the ball.

News Comments > Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up
24. Re: Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up Jun 26, 2017, 14:01 wtf_man

*Yawn*

These guys got my $25 six(?) years ago. Still no Squadron 42.
I've already chalked it up as a loss, and moved on.

/shrug

News Comments > Black Mesa Delays Xen Again
8. Re: Black Mesa Delays Xen Again Jun 20, 2017, 15:45 wtf_man

Darks wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 10:47:
Well, thats a bummer!!!

I've been holding off playing this just so I can go through all of the content.

Ditto.

Not sure why everyone poo-poo's Xen... I enjoyed it as much as the rest of the game.

Then again, I'm also one of the few that actually liked the Single Player game of Return to Castle Wolfenstein... which a lot of folks also poo-poo.

News Comments > IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman
10. Re: IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman Jun 17, 2017, 10:25 wtf_man

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 10:23:
Id like to see a big open world Hitman RPG like Witcher 3 style... that could be very cool in a modern setting

Yeah... that would be cool.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2017, 09:14 wtf_man

Is there still a paywall to access netflix and other apps?  

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released
23. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released May 31, 2017, 09:07 wtf_man

Call me when there is a non-VR version of this game.  

News Comments > Memorial Day Tech Bits
9. Re: Memorial Day Tech Bits May 30, 2017, 09:30 wtf_man

Upgrading has slowed way down for me in the last decade.

I went from a Conroe to an Ivy Bridge, and still don't feel the need to upgrade my CPU.

I went from a 8800GTX to a GTX680, and since my monitor is only 1080p I'm barely feeling the need to upgrade the graphics card. I will probably get a 2060 or whatever the Volta 1060 is called, next year. I have no intention of ever gaming at 4k... so, I finally don't need to buy "top of the line" anymore in order to get several years out of a graphics card.

News Comments > Alan Wake Sunset Sale
21. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 11:19 wtf_man

WaltC wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:37:
Checkpoint saves--ugh--no sale!

And side cam 3rd person which I absolutely can't stand.

Unfortunately I bought a copy a long time ago from Steam without doing my homework... played 5 minutes and deleted it. Unfortunately that was before you could get refunds from Steam.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
22. Re: Morning Mobilization May 9, 2017, 09:18 wtf_man

Two obvious reasons tablets are on the decline...

1. They are media consumption devices... not work/creation devices... they have had more than enough power and features for media consumption for years... there's no need to upgrade or replace.

2. Phablets do the job just as well, if not more convenient Why carry 2 devices?.

As for the larger size tablets, I'd rather have a real Ultrabook than a tablet or a 2-in-1. Touch screening on a large screen, and anything beyond media consumption, just doesn't work out for me.

News Comments > TERA Turns Five
5. Re: TERA Turns Five May 7, 2017, 12:16 wtf_man

Angrius Maximis wrote on May 5, 2017, 21:02:
this game is total fucking garbage

Unfortunately, Korean MMO's are more "action RPG" than "RPG". The whole game is focused on nothing but mindless killing. Whereas Western MMO's *try* to mix in some story/adventure to alleviate some of the tedious repetition.

Elder Scrolls Online was the last MMO I played, and probably will be the last I ever play. While I enjoyed it, after 20 years of MMO-ing I have found that I have zero tolerance anymore for nerfs, re-engineering forcing re-specs, and moving the goal posts (Adding more levels after maxxing out). Unfortunately all MMO's MUST suffer this via their business mode . None of this shit happens in single player RPGs, so I will just stick with them. /shrug

News Comments > NVIDIA Flow Video
14. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 09:17 wtf_man

Really? You're gonna call a lot of folks that have been here a long time, "shills", when they have often also posted negative things about nVidia as well? They're all "ignorant" just because they disagree with you?

You from California or something? Rolleyes

As for the tech... I am unimpressed with anything DirectX12. Show off that shit in Vulkan and I might be impressed. Fuck Microsoft.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2017, 09:28.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 28, 2017, 09:24 wtf_man

If stuff like Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. is still behind a Microsoft Paywall... I still wouldn't own an XBone.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition Countdown?
12. Re: Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition Countdown? Mar 28, 2017, 09:22 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 21:43:
Has anyone played the BG enhanced editions? Were they any good?

I've done Baldur's Gate. I have Icewind Dale too... but haven't played it yet.

If you don't want to bother installing all the mods to get the thing to work on modern systems and resolutions... the Enhanced Editions are your ticket. They also appear to be less buggy than the old versions all modded up.

I can't speak for the extra content since I wasn't into these games when they came out.

2950 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo