Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 3078 (Veteran)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 17, 2019, 13:58 wtf_man

As a "Toxic Masculinity Male" that uses Harry's razors... I'd wear a penis swastika logo.

(Please note the smileys)

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Can You Actually See Ray Tracing?
13. Re: Can You Actually See Ray Tracing? Jan 15, 2019, 14:02 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:29:
But you don't play GFX you play immersion. And if a graphics feature does not add anything to your immersion it should be disabled (like any god awful motion blur, depth of field or blur aa)

This.

How accurate the "light and reflection" is on glass, chrome, or water has little to do with immersion within a game. Same goes for shadows at the highest settings.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2019, 11:42 wtf_man

The pricing is stupid for both AMD and nVidia... mostly due to HBM2 and GDDR6 memory costs.

If AMD made a VII with only 8GB, and a couple hundred dollars off the price... 1080p gamers would snap them up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2019, 12:25 wtf_man

Acleacius wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 11:46:
Four and a half years of being put on new machines finally gives win 10 an edge. Not to mention being given away for free, so they could steal everyone's personal data.

I'm liking server 2019 as a workstation OS... full dekstop experience. It spies even less than Enterprise LTSB/LTSC by default. Pretty much what a real Enterprise SKU should be.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: We’re all Just Starting to Realize the Power of Personal Data. Dec 28, 2018, 12:44 wtf_man

Bard wrote on Dec 28, 2018, 12:18:
I'd like to be able to keep my personal data personal, except it is literally impossible if you still want to use a device like a tablet or smartphone or a computer.

It's simply not possible - regardless of how educated you may be - and those educated usually work in the tech sector so are reliant on technology.

It's not possible to entirely keep all of your personal data personal...true.

But it is possible to thwart a majority of unwanted tracking.

1. ublock origin with 3rd party scripts and frames gloabally set to blocked (acts much like noscript), and block remote fonts (on top of all the ad, social network, and privacy filters enabled).

2. Use a vpn like "private internat access" so your ISP can't watch your data in combination with a DNS service that doesn't log... cloudfare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 is the fastest. (By using a VPN, even your DNS lookups are encrypted from your ISP's eyes)

3. Don't have any social media or cloud accounts that tie into social media.

It's a little more difficult to do on a phone, but you can still do it. I just run an ad blocker / marketing tracker blocker on my phone, which isn't as thwarting as my windows and linux devices.

That said... no you aren't going to stop the NSA from snooping. But the question is... what is it you are targeting to thwart?

For me, it's unwanted marketing and social media tracking that's monetizing me without my permission. The more I can put a wrench in the works... the more I giggle my @ss off.

Google is the hardest to avoid. You go to sites that are running gstatic, googleapis, or ajax.googleapis just to render the web site... you're screwed because you have to temporarily unblock those to see the content. It's a pain to do it temporarily per site... but that's what I do.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2018, 13:18.

News Comments > CliffyB: The Musical
6. Re: CliffyB: The Musical Dec 27, 2018, 12:15 wtf_man

Not going to dis the guy for trying something else.

I'm just glad he's trying something else, because apparently him and a huge chunk of PC gamers have a immense loathing for each other.

News Comments > Boxing Day Tech Bits
9. Re: Boxing Day Tech Bits Dec 26, 2018, 17:45 wtf_man

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 26, 2018, 16:53:
I am pretty much done with anything labeled Nvidia including used 1070 cards.

Well my previous 5 year old card was getting long in the tooth, so I really couldn't wait for AMD's response.

Anyway, my point was given the higher MSRPs of the high end 20xx cards, the 2060 6GB will probably be more than the launch price of the 1060 6GB, which was $250 MSRP. So, say $300.00 MSRP as a guess.

Early rumor shows the 2060 to be 6% slower than the 1070.
Toms Hardware Article

So, a used 1070 at below new 1060 6GB MSRP is a lot of bang for the buck. Especially if you are still a 1080p gamer like me, and have no real desire to go 4k.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2018, 17:56.

News Comments > Boxing Day Tech Bits
2. Re: Boxing Day Tech Bits Dec 26, 2018, 13:50 wtf_man

After the crypto-currency crash... picked up a slightly used GTX1070 on Ebay for $231.00 shipped.

Latest Christmas discount I saw for the 1070 was $305, new.

The best way to protest nVidia's ridiculous pricing is to go after the used last gen higher end cards from private owners.

News Comments > BioShock and BioShock 2 on GOG.com
3. Re: BioShock and BioShock 2 on GOG.com Dec 17, 2018, 13:06 wtf_man

Ahhhh... more of my library to convert off Steam! Awesome!  

News Comments > John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow
15. Re: John Romero Game Announcement Tomorrow Dec 9, 2018, 17:41 wtf_man

I hope he pulls off something fairly good. I think he's been punished enough for Daiktana and his dumb words. Only something decent could redeem him, and so far he hasn't accomplished it.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Launches
2. Re: Epic Games Store Launches Dec 7, 2018, 11:21 wtf_man

So is this DRM-ish like Steam, Uplay, and Origin where you have to have thier application running with the game? Or is it like GOG where you can opt to download the games and run them without runing thier app (Galaxy).  

News Comments > Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties
34. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 19:47 wtf_man

I pretty much TRY to do everything through GOG.

I had Steam first, so I still ocassionaly get a game from them that I can't get on GOG.

That said... I wouldn't sign up for another DRM store... ever.

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen in Q2 2019
17. Re: Black Mesa Xen in Q2 2019 Nov 19, 2018, 13:12 wtf_man

chickenboo wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 12:37:
I don't regret this Early Access purchase, even though it goes against my personal views of not to buy until it's done. I'm also eagerly awaiting Xen, as I personally enjoyed those levels of the original game. This trailer makes it look great and I fully intend on playing through Xen on the big screen TV, Steam Controller in hand, all lights off.

Well... the reason I'm waiting is twofold... 1. It takes them a really long time to get anything done (not a criticism... just a fact), and 2. I don't want to spoil the experience of the complete product when it's done.

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen in Q2 2019
9. Re: Black Mesa Xen in Q2 2019 Nov 19, 2018, 11:45 wtf_man

I guess I'm one of the few that actually liked Xen.

I will gladly purchase Black Mesa when it is complete.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $200M
42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 18, 2018, 15:25 wtf_man

IgWannA wrote on Nov 17, 2018, 13:08:
At what point can we all get refunds for non delivery? I paid my $35 back in 2014 and the completion date keeps getting pushed back indefinitely. If they still haven't released a working game by 2024 can we all get refunds? How long can they go on like this, making more ships and not finishing the game?

You pretty much can't get a refund from crowdfunding. You are making an investment (Not pre-purchasing the product)... if the company goes belly up trying to make the product... you lost your investment. Period.

About the only way refunds have been issued are either outright scams (zero to no effort in making said product), or creating something completely different than was initially pitched.

CIG definitely has more than enough evidence of trying to create the game... so you can't get them on that.

I think there was a period of time that you could get a refund because they changed what they initially pitched... but that deadline expired a long time ago.

So, as everyone else has said... no you can't get a refund. You need to understand the difference between investing in a game vs. pre-purchasing one.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski: "I am NEVER making another game"
19. Re: Cliff Bleszinski: Nov 16, 2018, 11:52 wtf_man

Other than a couple of the unreal games... never played / purchased his stuff. Pretty much zero interest.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 8, 2018, 15:38 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 15:09:
https://linuxmint.com/

Amen.

News Comments > Blood Revival Tease?
15. Re: Blood Revival Tease? Oct 30, 2018, 17:15 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2018, 17:01:
Upon further inspection, these are loafers this company does direct ports to modern systems, not updates or remakes or new sequels. My earlier rant wasn't applicable and I should have looked into it first.

They do both direct ports and remakes... well they are working on ONE remake after already doing a direct port... and that is System Shock.

News Comments > Blood Revival Tease?
10. Re: Blood Revival Tease? Oct 30, 2018, 14:04 wtf_man

How about finishing the fucking System Shock REMAKE (not the enhanced edition) that had to be started over, first?

System Shock Remake kickstarter

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Goes Free-to-Play
1. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Goes Free-to-Play Oct 30, 2018, 10:46 wtf_man

It Launched? I thought it was still in beta. Goes to show how much I was paying attention to it after a $20 original backing and playing 1 crappy beta build very shortly. LOL  

3078 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo