Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 3056 (Veteran)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
15. Re: NVIDIA 20XX Reviews Oct 16, 2018, 12:47 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 12:01:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 11:49:
Definitely not worth the $200+ over the 1070 MSRP.

Of course I just bought my 1070 for $230 used, which makes it an awesome bang for buck.

Why compare it to the 1070? Pricewise it's a replacement for the 1080, not the 1070.

I agree, it has awful bang for the buck, but so did the 1080 and some here still bought it.

Because I'm comparing directly to the performance boost over last gen... the extra 200+ for what you get isn't worth it, IMO. If it was like a 2x boost... then yeah... but it's not. We're used to getting a decent boost each gen (within the same-ish model as the last gen) with a similar price point for the next gen. Especially since the last gen is 2 years old. Is the RTX 2070 a decent performance boost? Yes. Is it worth a $200+ premium over the last gen? Hell No. The techspot averages a 27% increase in performance compared to the 1070, but the MSRP price is 57% increase ($380 -> $599). Even $380 to $499 is a 31% increase in price. So the price is way out of wack.

What one is really paying for is early access / future proofing of ray tracing, which never pays off. By the time there will be enough ray tracing games to support, the tech will be in 2nd or 3rd gen from the current RTX 20xx.

Nvidia is smoking some good shit with this pricing.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2018, 13:39.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
8. Re: NVIDIA 20XX Reviews Oct 16, 2018, 11:49 wtf_man

Definitely not worth the $200+ over the 1070 MSRP.

Of course I just bought my 1070 for $230 used, which makes it an awesome bang for buck.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 15, 2018, 16:10 wtf_man

I actually would have posted a Mint link... but it's all good.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 14, 2018, 18:53 wtf_man

Well... unlike the xbone I don't have to be logged in to do anything... matter of fact the only time I login to Sony is to buy and download a single player game... otherwise I am always signed out. Prime is it's own account and so is Hulu.

That said.. I already set all the privacy stuff to maximum a long time ago when I first set it up.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
4. Re: Saturday Patches Oct 13, 2018, 20:05 wtf_man

Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 18:53:
The question is why bother. It looks like barf...

For nostalgia, I wouldn't mind playing a version that works on a modern OS and with modern resolutions, even with the legacy sprite world.

/shrug

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer
11. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 11:51 wtf_man

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 11:42:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 11:12:
Well, if the game is half as good as that trailer makes it... I'll be satisfied for my $25 original backing.
Really? I mean it was a quality trailer, they did a good job. But looking at the trailer and hoping the game would be anywhere close to what you see is like watching one of the WoW trailers and thinking WoW would be like that. It just isn't so.

I wasn't referring to any "wow factor". I was referring to a modern day Wing Commander... which the trailer makes it look on target.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer
5. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 11:12 wtf_man

Well, if the game is half as good as that trailer makes it... I'll be satisfied for my $25 original backing.

Have no intention of playing the MMO though. I was only looking for a modern Wing Commander game when I backed this.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2018, 19:02 wtf_man

$500 for a 2070? Nah.

Just bought a used GTX 1070 for $230. 5 month old card from a cryptominer. Not a bad bump from my GTX 680, and the price was right. As I said before... I only game at 1080p and have no desire to buy a new monitor.

/shrug

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2018, 13:41 wtf_man

GinRummy wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 12:07:
I'm waiting for a modern remake of Citizen Kane, where you find out at the end that Rosebud was an ipod nano.

Laugh2

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2018, 16:23 wtf_man

...looking at my income tax "crumbs" and my retirement plan... nope, not sick of winning at all.

...may even make his asinine tweets "palatable" Shocked

/shrug

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Trailer
1. Re: Call of Cthulhu Trailer Sep 20, 2018, 13:53 wtf_man

This actually looks like it might be pretty good. I'll still wait for reviews though.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2018, 11:17 wtf_man

Ridiculous Pricing for what you get in performance improvement is the real problem. The improvement is there as it is with any new generation... in this case it's just not worth it. Also, $350-ish for a 2060 next year ain't gonna fly either.  

News Comments > GeForce RTX 2080 Reviews
21. Re: GeForce RTX 2080 Reviews Sep 19, 2018, 16:26 wtf_man

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 12:53:
DLSS implementation will ultimately decide whether or not these cards are worth the price of admission in regards to performance and ray tracing is still too much of a pipe dream to really get excited about.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Performance Unveiled, DLSS AI-Powered Anti-Aliasing Spikes FPS At High IQ
...Flip on DLSS in a compatible game engine

Since DLSS also has to be supported by a developer, I'm not convinced it's worth the "price of admission" either.

News Comments > GeForce RTX 2080 Reviews
7. Re: GeForce RTX 2080 Reviews Sep 19, 2018, 11:28 wtf_man

Since I only game at 1080, my GTX 680 has lasted quite a while and only on a few modern games do I have to turn some settings down.

That said... the GTX 1070 is 2x the speed of my GTX 680 and has come down to Launch MSRP finally ($380). If it gets closer to $300 when the 2070 is available... that may be my ticket. There's practically zero need for a ray-tracing card now... we'll see how the game support works out over the next generation cards.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 13:33 wtf_man

chickenboo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:45:
Firefox on my Android phone too, I give enough to Google by using Android, they don't get to have my browsing data to boot.

LOL

Using Firefox on an Android device doesn't stop Google from getting your browsing data. All kinds of APP telemetry goes to Google, Your Carrier, and the APP vendor. It's called "DNS Lookups". Unless you have some secure / encrypted DNS service installed at the OS level (rooted)... your browsing data is known to at least the 3 entities I just mentioned, and nny other APP that is allowed to look at that specific telemetry.

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
7. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 4, 2018, 12:06 wtf_man

Angrius Maximis wrote on Sep 4, 2018, 09:20:
"So whats the problem. They worked there. They had no related work permits. Do you feel that the article doesn't give enough emphasis on the fact that they were NOT from the United States?"

I think he is probably just sick of the Liberal newspeak headlines on Blues News

Cutter? On corporations he is definitely left wing

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Sep 2, 2018, 19:45 wtf_man

Jokes?

Pretty sure mostly everyone is seriously critical. There are no jokes about Valve's game development production.

News Comments > New Steam Play Expands Linux Support
5. Re: New Steam Play Expands Linux Support Aug 22, 2018, 09:56 wtf_man

As much as I would LOVE to move my whole library to linux... I'd rather have GOG and Windows, than Steam and Linux.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
34. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 18:13 wtf_man

In some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or downloadable content may be able to gain a significant advantage over those playing for free who, for example, would otherwise need to spend time progressing in order to unlock said items. Such games are called "pay-to-win" or "p2w" by critics.

Wikipedia

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
3. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 12:36 wtf_man

ItBurn wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 12:18:
The fact that they took 50 people at a station, put them in various ships, some holding like 20 and flew them to another planet for Battlefield-like combat, all without loading screens is crazy impressive technically, regardless of the latency.

Are you sure?

I mean, the video cuts to different perspectives like every 5 seconds... you aren't seeing this from perspective of a single player... loading screens could have been easily edited out.

Not claiming they were edited out for sure, given RSI goals... but it is hard to tell from that video.

3056 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo