Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2975 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2017, 23:02 wtf_man

Pick on my phone reply all you want... no biggie.

We have 4 foreign developers. 2 are average, 2 are fairly brilliant. Any of them could be replaced with local talent. Just because they’re foreign doesn’t automatically make them “top talent”.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2017, 12:32 wtf_man

So, your assumption is that there aren’t best qualified people in our country own country?

Sorry, I don’t buy that.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2017, 11:12 wtf_man

What is wrong with Nationalism?

We're not talking the twisted term "white nationalists" which infers racism (again)... we're talking regular plain old nationalism.

Wikipedia definition (1st paragraph):

Nationalism is a political, social, and economic system characterized by promoting the interests of a particular nation, particularly with the aim of gaining and maintaining self-governance, or full sovereignty, over the group's homeland. The political ideology therefore holds that a nation should govern itself, free from unwanted outside interference, and is linked to the concept of self-determination. Nationalism is further oriented towards developing and maintaining a national identity based on shared characteristics such as culture, language, race, religion, political goals or a belief in a common ancestry. Nationalism therefore seeks to preserve the nation's culture. It often also involves a sense of pride in the nation's achievements, and is closely linked to the concept of patriotism. In some cases, nationalism referred to the belief that a nation should be able to control the government and all means of production.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Be proud of your own country and promote from within.

Also, I never said "don't hire foreigners"... I said prioritize hiring your own citizens first, especially for economic reasons.

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2017, 09:33 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 22:34:
Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 21:26:
And MS isn't hiring actual citizens because?

Oh, good, you're setting us up to explain to you that MSFT pays top dollar for top talent, then you'll respond with nationalist and racist bullshit again, pretending for some reason that MSFT does this to underpay people, not get talent.

Broken record. Just ban yourself. You already have most of us on ignore.

I usually stay out of political discussions here, because I don't feel Blues is an appropriate place for this.... but I'm gonna rant.

Please explain, libtards out there, how prioritizing hiring within your own country is racist?
There is plenty of talent in America, and it isn't all white.

I'm really getting sick and tired of any political disagreement going down the "race card" path. It's bull fuckin shit.

Being liberal is one thing, being a complete libtard is another (just as conteratives vs. conservtards aka extremists). Keep drinking that "everything has to do with race / white privilege" kool-aid. All the libtards are doing is pissing off enough people in the center to vote opposite of them by calling everyone a fucking racist.

/rant

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches
22. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Launches Nov 3, 2017, 09:27 wtf_man

Slick wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 04:51:
Obviously, if you've been holding out from a previous generation, this card might hit the sweet spot for you.

This.

That said, since my monitor is only 1080p and I have no intention of buying a new one... I'm holding out for the 2060 or 1160 (whichever nVidia calls the next xx60 card). My GTX680 still works decent for 1080p... only a few games I have to turn down the settings some.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 11:24 wtf_man

Basically one needs to choose the lesser of two Evils. I feel that when it comes to tracking and personal data, Apple is the lesser, since it is not part of their business model to sell/make available your information to advertisers. They are also fairly adamant about not putting a back door in for government.

So I got an iPhone 8 plus to replace my old iphone 5. Camera being one of the reasons.

That said... my next phone will probably be a Linux Purism: Purism Phone

It really has little to do with paranoia, as much as it has to do with I fsch-ing hate marketing companies taking my information without my express permission, and there are no laws to thwart it.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Combat Trailer
1. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Combat Trailer Oct 27, 2017, 12:49 wtf_man

I backed this and it's looking good.

However, I hope the controls aren't kludgey. Trying to simulate realistic melee via a mouse and keyboard has got to be a really difficult thing to do without turning off gamers to bad controls.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Could Cryptocurrency kill online advertising? Oct 23, 2017, 18:39 wtf_man

I wouldn't mind this at all.

It would have to be done right though... people would have to be informed up front, maybe with a choice of a site with ads vs. a site the mines only while you are visiting... or some sort of central extension/ web standard that automatically donates the currency to the respected sites based on your time there.... Mining only takes place as you are surfing.

Legitimately (voluntarily) donating CPU cycles seems like a win/win if done right. The sites who's content you access gets supported, and you don't have to worry about annoying ads / tracking / malvertising. The site owner doesn't have to put up pay walls or beg for donations.

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC
7. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC Oct 20, 2017, 13:43 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 12:47:
This doesn't mean they're unreliable, as these days nearly every brand is pretty damn reliable,

I'd have to say that's a fair statement. I also think it depends on how one treats their vehicles. I've had pretty darn good luck with most of them, even non-mopar brands.

My Son-in-law has had nothing but trouble with his Diesel RAM... but he's modified the heck out of it, so he keeps blowing transmissions. He accepts that as part of the performance modifications he has made. /shrug

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC
5. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC Oct 20, 2017, 12:41 wtf_man

Since I'm a MOPAR guy (Hellcat Challenger, Magnum, and looking at a Jeep Wrangler in the near future... have had Charger, Durango, RAMs (Plural), and a Ramcharger.)

I'll just have to disagree with Creston.

That said, the lower end models (Dart, Avenger, 200, Liberty, etc. etc.) are definitely crap.

But I would say GM is in the same boat, maybe slightly better.

Ford seems to be the only company of the "Big Three" that can make a decent cheap / compact car to compete with the foreign imports.

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
26. Re: Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play? Oct 15, 2017, 12:35 wtf_man

born2expire wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 20:22:
CliffyB and his HUGE ego just needs to fuck off and disappear

That goes for several others that are washed up... Peter Molyneux, Richard Garriot, John Romero, D.W. Bradley, George Brussard, Randy Pitchford, Derek Smart, etc. etc.

Fortunately most of those folks are pretty silent now... however, that's a good example of over -egotistical game developers.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 2, 2017, 09:25 wtf_man

Acleacius wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 11:03:
What exactly are you advocating, mmogs with all solo content?

ESO is about as close to what I enjoy that has been produced.

However, After playing well over a year, I was reminded what I dislike most about MMOs... nerfing / rebalancing / moving the goal posts (aka more levels). And unfortunately ALL MMO's are subject to that. There is no escaping it. I find it really irritating to have the rules changed on me in the course of gameplay.

Honestly, I'd rather just play something like Skyrim to avoid that crap. I suffer from major MMO burnout, having played MUDs then M59, then EQ.

That said... Even though I've never agreed with his "Vision", I hope Brad brings you what you enjoy.

7. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 30, 2017, 19:14 wtf_man

Acleacius wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 15:37:
I might have missed what your refering to in the article but they clearly know, what you just said and did before their second game. Not only did EQ2 not do it but clearly neither does Vanguard.

Huh?

He had little to do with EQ2 gameplay. One of the reasons he left was because things weren't going his way. And Vanguard turned out to be a commercial flop, although I never played it myself.

His "Vision" (TM) is to have a world so dangerous that you can't walk 10 ft in a dungeon without getting pwned unless you are grouped with several people.

In a world of cord cutters where folks watch things on their own schedule... it's difficult to rely on others constantly being available for groups, and to mainly only do "group content" all the effin time. And if you don't play his way... aka solo... you are punished by a severe cut in progression rate.

He hasn't changed. Just look at his "Bring Friends" video on the Pantheon site.

5. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 30, 2017, 11:58 wtf_man

He's obviously still on crack.

The only reason Everquest was successful was because of lack of competition at the time and it was the first real 3D MMO (Polygons instead of sprites like M59).

The forced-grouping / camping same mobs over and over / take forever to regenerate between kills / complete imbalance between melee and magic / kill stealing / crap loot distribution / naked corpse running / severe experience and loot death penalty days are long gone.

Most people don't like the premise of sitting around to chat between kills because it takes so long to regenerate and for the mob to respawn. That's not social nor "immersive". That's an unnecessary time sink in order for the game to be stretched out for profit on a subscription (which is also why he is against Free To Play).

It has nothing to do with lack of attention. It has to do with not wanting to pay for a glorified chat room (a world as he calls it) instead of a game.

/shrug

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
16. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 13:52 wtf_man

Still on a 3570K, too. GTX 680 still working pretty good too.

I May go with an Ice Lake and a GTX 2060(?) next, since I don't game over 1080p anyway.

/shrug

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 09:32 wtf_man

Well... the wife an I both have the iPhone 5. and before that we had the 3G. So, we upgrade roughly every 5 years or so. We're looking at the Plus since my fingers are too big to text properly on that itty bitty 5, and my eyes are getting to a point where I need reader glasses for tiny print.

That said... I'm torn between the 7 Plus and the 8 Plus, mainly for the better camera features on the 8. But I'm not sure it's worth the extra $150 between the two bottom end Plus models though.

As for the iPhone X... not worth the price, IMO. Facial regognition tech is creepy to the Orwellian paranoid side of me, too.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 5, 2017, 09:33 wtf_man

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 11:14:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:57:
Just made the ultimate Windows 10 with NTLITE.

OH, please tell me you documented your process somewhere! This information available for people to follow along? I used to make my own Win2k, WinXP and Win7 installs. I can't upgrade to 10, I refuse to because of the "telemetry".

I really, really miss sub-1GB OS installs that run perfectly find with only a few hundred MB of RAM. Seriously no fucking excuse for today's considerable bloat. I would honestly love you if you shared the software and steps you took to make your build.

I don't have the exact steps written down... but the basics are:

1. buy NTLite
2. get the Enterprise LTSB from MSDN/Visual Studio subscriptions (Or have a friend get the ISO for you) Enterprise LTSB has the least amount of crap in it.
3. use 7-zip to unpack the ISO into a folder.
4. Run NTLite and mount your folder. go into compatibility and uncheck cortana, windows update, windows store and app support, and recommended. ("Compatibility" in NTLite is a safety measure that locks components for removal, so you have to uncheck the relative boxes before you can remove certain components)
5. remove all the components you don't want.
6. build the new ISO.
7. Install it on a VM.
8. install NTLITE and remove the rest of the components that you don't want (Some can only be removed after an installation). Add the software you want to include. (Since I removed Internet Explorer, I added Chrome)
9. sysprep your new image.
10. create a WDS server Virtual Machine (can download server trial from MS for free) to capture the image and have the ability image any of your machines.

That said... it looks like that tool that Redeye9 just linked (MSMG) will do a majority of it for free.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 18:57 wtf_man

Just made the ultimate Windows 10 with NTLITE.

Took 2016 Enterprise LTSB, and stripped everything out....including cortana (not just disabled... never installed), all windows reporting and telemetry, cloud host experience, one-drive, all metro apps, search, push notifications, internet explorer, edge already gone, windows updates etc. etc. etc.

The thing boots to using around 400MB of RAM, doesn't phone home, and the start menu still works! Installed Chrome since there is no web browser.

So what's the catch? I removed Windows updates. Why? Because it will break the first time one of those stupid cumulative updates tries to install.

However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. One can still get critical updates via the Microsoft catalog.

Right now I'm just using it in a virtual box on my *nix box for being able to vpn and rdp into work.

But I may eventually run it on my gaming rig if there's a point that 7 isn't supported for games anymore.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
39. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 27, 2017, 11:11 wtf_man

So, I wasn't about to watch a 2 hour marketing presentation...

I did find a good 10 minute overview:

GamesCom 2017 Overview

Meh.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2017, 09:30 wtf_man

I try real hard to not get into politics in this forum.

I am registered nonpartisan and I despise both libtards and conservetards (aka the extremists). I'm probably closer to being a libertarian, if anything... but the point is that I disagree with a lot from the 2 main parties.

The general problem, IMO isn't so much the president (wether it be Bush, Obama, Trump), but everyone voting in the same assholes into congress over and over and expecting change. Congress needs term limits. Some "leader" that has 20 years in DC is there to screw over you and me for his/her own gain... not to represent his/her constituents. That's WAY too much power to have. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting something to change. That is exactly what our congress has become. There's no easy way to "Drain the swamp"... and you'd have to be completely ignorant to not think DC is a swamp. Congress Approval numbers have been way low for over a decade and the same jerks get voted in. (Regardless of who is in office)

OK... getting off my soap box now... Back on Topic...

Buying Twitter to shut Trump up is stupid.
1. He would just use some other popular Social Media.
2. If you are against Trump, why would you want to kill off the very thing that he is doing to "hang himself"? He spouts a lot of stupid crap on Twitter... everyone knows that, including his supporters.

I do agree that there is media bias. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "fake news", but there is clear bias and an agenda... whether one goes to CNN or FOX. Go to both. The truth is somewhere in the middle. The media is a swamp too. Any person that went after a journalism degree because they "wanted to change the world" should not be a journalist. Their job is to report the facts... and both sides equally... not inject their opinion.

2975 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo