Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MacLeod

Real Name MacLeod   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MacLeod
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 23, 2003, 23:29
Total Comments 595 (Apprentice)
User ID 19484

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 19:33 MacLeod

WaltC wrote on Oct 12, 2018, 16:41:
It's stupid because such a remake mod is free advertising for Lucas Films, and the original games, and does not detract from the value of Lucas Films IP in the slightest--I'd love for those lawyers to tell me how such a remake, which the authors were doing out of love for the games and *not* for monetary gain, apparently, threatens the value of the Star Wars IP.

You have to be pretty dense to not understand that

1) This wasn't a mod. They were remaking the ENTIRE game. Stop with "that's okay." You know that's a load of crap.

2) How does it threaten the Star Wars IP... Lets see... The game ends up being glitchy, it looks badly on them. The game is literally a FREE version of their game, so now they're never going to sell another copy of it, or an enhanced edition if they decide to do that. Hell, it makes a sequel even questionable if theres a modern engine version of the real game. Lets also see... they start letting people use their IP for free... now nobody needs to license the property.

Anyway, had these folks the money they could likely take Lucas Arts to court and win on the simple basis of fair use

Yes, reusing the entire script of a game, sounds, basis of graphics and the IP are "Fair Use". Come on man...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 13:11 MacLeod

Linthat22 wrote on Oct 12, 2018, 11:57:
They should just keep going and rename it to Planet Battles: Fighters of the Ancient Realm

The problem is, unless they change the scenarios and dialogs and storyline, I'm sure they'll still get a C&D to shut them down, either by EA/BioWare or Lucasfilm again (since LucasArts published the game).

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 11:36 MacLeod

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 12, 2018, 10:48:
Figures, now that Disney possesses the IP

Can pretty much guarantee that this would have occurred even if Disney hadn't bought Lucasfilm.

Seriously, I don't know why people are obsessed with doing these remake projects or projects based on IPs they don't have the license for. Make your own shit. Then your project won't get shut down.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2018, 16:51 MacLeod

Starting Legend of Zelda with:
* A ton of Rupees
* all equipment
* white sword
* magic shield
* blue ring
* power bracelet

at that point, what's the point of playing? The enjoyment of LoZ came from progression in the proper order and realizing you unlocked something else because of an item you got.

If you get everything at the beginning, you're literally just going through the dungeons for no reason, other than to get the triforce parts... and by giving you money, you don't even have to worry about consumables.

and:
"But if Ganon's still giving you a hard time, the power of money will overcome! Just buy yourself some more items and give it another shot!"

I'm assuming they mean buying with Rupees, but gosh darnit, if that text isn't purposefully phrased like some satirical comment on modern in-game purchases.

News Comments > Darksiders III FORCE FURY Trailer
2. Re: Darksiders III FORCE FURY Trailer Oct 3, 2018, 19:05 MacLeod

Alamar wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 12:27:
Looking good... I really should force myself to finish #2 though...

That's the reason I probably will end up not getting this one, or waiting until it's on deep discount. I loved the first game, but could not get into the second games combat system at all. I tried to force myself to keep playing and finally just gave up. Now, if I were to try and finish that before this came out, I'd probably have to start the whole thing over, as I wouldn't remember how to play.

The only way I'd get this earlier in its life cycle would be if, when the reviews come out, they indicate it plays more like the first game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2018, 22:25 MacLeod

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 23, 2018, 17:56:
WTF is # 7? Speak english!

*The Scroll of Taiwu* is an indie game based on Chinese mythology and Wuxia tales. You will play as a "successor of Taiwu" in a fictional universe, defeating your greatest enemy under the effort and sacrifice of many generations and change the fate of humankind.
(No English Support)

News Comments > H1Z1 Becoming Z1 Battle Royale
7. Re: H1Z1 Becoming Z1 Battle Royale Sep 23, 2018, 22:23 MacLeod

My favorite part is how they couldn't even rename it to an actual name. H1Z1 was the virus name in their survival game.

So, when they initially retitled, it was kind of silly to name the Battle Royale version H1Z1, and change the other to Just Survive, when that game should have been the one titled H1Z1.

Now, instead of coming up with a real name, they just drop the H1 in H1Z1, nonsensically keep Z1 (which clearly stood for "zombie" in the original codename), and just add Battle Royale to the end of it.

Daybreak Games... still showing how utterly incompetent they are.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 21, 2018, 14:02 MacLeod

I 100%ed the game, along with getting the platinum, the only "bad" part of the game for me so far has been the drone and bomb challenges. Trying to silver and gold those make me want to bash my head against the wall. And i still need 20-something tokens to finish unlocking everything.  

News Comments > AS+CEND Early Access This Month
2. Re: AS+CEND Early Access This Month Sep 13, 2018, 08:26 MacLeod

Pr()ZaC wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 08:24:
Ass-end... :-lol-:

Come on... there's clearly a C at the beginning of that second word... it's "Ass Send". :p

Or are we supposed to pronounce the +? so Astcend?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Trailer
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Trailer Sep 11, 2018, 08:52 MacLeod

It's funny how the final DLC for Origins and all the info coming out about Odyssey made me go from almost 100 percenting the entire game in Origins (never finished the last DLC) to having no interest in the game at all.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches
22. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches Aug 31, 2018, 18:47 MacLeod

holy shit... those over the top review quotes...

"Better than Perfect"

"Categorically the best game in human history"

Lets not even get into how fucking stupid professional reviewers must be to use those phrases, but the fact that you then used that hyperbole in your launch trailer... you seem pretty arrogant.

17. Re: Into the Black Aug 23, 2018, 09:09 MacLeod

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 23:23:
Rhett wrote on Aug 22, 2018, 22:44:
I'd say I'm glad, but I know people who enjoyed it... *LAUGH TRACK*

It never had a laugh track, I have no idea where that notion keeps coming from. It was always filmed in front of a studio audience. In fact, it often followed the Friends recipe, where they'd ask the studio audience for input on scenes, whether the joke was clear, etc.

I'll leave it up to people to decide whether they feel that's worth doing or whether it even worked or not, but it never had a laugh track.

Just because it's filmed in front of a live studio audience, doesn't mean it's genuine audience reaction for that scene you're listening to. In addition to adding a completely fake laugh track there are other things that productions do. They can "sweeten" the live audience reaction with supplemental laugh track snippets added in, or manipulate the volume of specific laughs. The other thing that they do, is after completing an entire episode, they'll show it for another audience (who may be there to see a later filmed episode), and record their reaction the finished episode. This is done on sitcoms especially since with scene changes and flubs, audience reaction may not be that great by the time you get the take you want.

So even when a show says filmed before a live studio audience, you're almost certainly hearing manipulated reactions.

(Oddly I just finished Harlan Ellison's "Laugh Track" short story about a week ago, and was intrigued by the whole thing, and started reading everything I could on the process of laugh tracks and sweetening. It's actually quite interesting.)

News Comments > No 2019 Assassin's Creed
7. Re: No 2019 Assassin's Creed Aug 22, 2018, 13:51 MacLeod

Naval stuff... mythological monsters... All the stuff I hated in Origins. The 2nd DLC ruined that game for me, after clearing everything on the map, getting all the achievements, the 2nd DLC came out, and I literally quit 1/3 of the way through, not enjoying it at all.

Even more odd... Origins was about the beginning of the assassins... but we make the next game ~400 years before that now.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Trilogy Begins
5. Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy Begins Aug 14, 2018, 22:19 MacLeod

I can't remember which Bard's Tale I had, but all I remember is that every time I tried to play it, I would exit the inn, try to make my way through town (the box had a map of the town) to get to the first dungeon, and would keep getting attacked over and over, to the point that I would be completely screwed up by the time I got there, and would have to go to a temple instead.  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Rage! Announced
2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Rage! Announced Aug 14, 2018, 10:41 MacLeod

With the way Bethesda is now, prepare to get hit with a lawsuit due to the fact your game has the word "Rage" in the title... lol.  

News Comments > IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations
16. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 16:00 MacLeod

My Favorite part of this whole thing is where, last week the guy who did the video for IGN tweeted:

"Finishing up my Dead Cells review this weekend. Itís the first IGN video review Iíve edited myself, and I canít wait to share it with you all."

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 1, 2018, 11:11 MacLeod

"plans to try and stay afloat".

Raising prices by 50%, and blocking off all movies released in more than 1000 screens (effectively any wide release) for two weeks. Not to mention that I was watching a video that some of their surge pricing fees in some areas (LA for example) are at an extra $8.00.

Sounds more like a plan to kill off your user base. Just stick a fork in them, they're done. This is why I never subscribed... they always seemed shady as fuck.

The best part of this is, because of their attempted strong arm tactics to force AMC to give them a cut of concession sales, AMC did the one thing that MoviePass DIDN'T want them to do... create their own sub service, that makes more sense, and since it's run by the theater chain, will probably actually work.

7. Re: Into the Black Jul 27, 2018, 23:24 MacLeod

Kxmode wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 19:05:
#FakeCarrieFisher
#NotMyPrincess
#CGIsEvil

You know, they're not doing CG... they're using cut footage from The Force Awakens.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 10, 2018, 09:14 MacLeod

Slick wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 08:10:
Darksiders II was really good, it felt like it borrowed from all the good parts of a modern Zelda game mixed with God of war-like hack and slash.

Hoping that III is even better, cause the first one was pretty forgettable.

See, I disagree... I found the first game really enjoyable, but didn't like the second game at all because of the mechanics change. hehe.

News Comments > Darksiders III in November
5. Re: Darksiders III in November Jul 10, 2018, 09:11 MacLeod

I hope it plays more like the first game than the second one... I honestly couldn't make it through the second game. Didn't like it.

595 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo