Descending
Limit Results:

723 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    37  ] Older

Re: On Sale
Sep 23, 2020, 23:23
Re: On Sale Sep 23, 2020, 23:23
Sep 23, 2020, 23:23

That RA Salvatore bundles is tempting... but really odd that they didn't include the first 6 books, but all the rest (including the Cleric's Quintet).

Re: PlayStation 5 in November
Sep 17, 2020, 08:32
Re: PlayStation 5 in November Sep 17, 2020, 08:32
Sep 17, 2020, 08:32

I guess my will I / won't I thing about getting this at launch is the fact that the only game I'm interested in at launch is Spider-Man, but that's apparently coming out for the PS4, so I can just get it there. It is a bit tempting to get the deluxe version that includes the remastered original, but I did play that game and 100% it three times originally, so I'm not sure how much I'd really play it again. The only other game I'm looking forward to so far is Horizon: Forbidden West, and they announced that's coming to PS4 as well.

Re: Into the Black
Sep 10, 2020, 14:42
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 14:42
Sep 10, 2020, 14:42

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 11:00:
*shrug* To each their own. I thought Brian's books seemed to closely follow where "Heretics of Dune" and "Chapterhouse: Dune" left off. And yeah, perhaps the ultimate ending was a bit of a "Hollywood ending" but overall the whole storyline felt true to the original six and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think my bias was set upon reading House Atreides when it came out, and kept noticing things that didn't actually fit with previous established canon and the puerile writing... In Dune, people's inner thought dialog text was complex and often different from what they portrayed outwardly. In The BH/KJA novels it was practically always the same:

I could use a ham sandwich, Leto thought.
"I'm going to make a ham sandwich!", he said. *

I blame Herbert partially, since I know he's the one that "found" the notes, but I'm guessing a lot of what I didn't like was KJA's writing style, which about matches what I remember from his X-Files and Star Wars books.

* Not-an-actual-quote taken from the non-existent "Hamworms of Dune"

EDIT: Was trying to remember why I can't remember specific examples any more, then realized it came out in 1999, and that's 21 years ago... dear god I'm old.

Sep 10, 2020, 14:28
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 14:28
Sep 10, 2020, 14:28

Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 12:12:
You do realize what you did there is like telling people just starting to watch Game of Throne who John Snow is and what Daenerys Targaryen does. May I recommend editing your post and adding the secret text? I've gone and done it for your quote.

Ah, the problems of typing up posts at work. Meant to do that, got sidetracked, then just his post. It's fixed.

Though nobody should ever read the Brian Herbert novels to begin with.

Sep 10, 2020, 10:53
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 10:53
Sep 10, 2020, 10:53

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 09:35:
As Kx indicates, all those questions are answered in the books by Brian Herbert. I haven't read all of them, basically just the ones which effectively finish the story from the original six novels which meant reading: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin, Hunters of Dune, Sandworms of Dune. I'm not sure how well Brian Herbert's novels were received but I enjoyed the ones I read. Frank certainly left us hanging on a cliff wondering what it was Duncan was "sensing". My understanding is at least some of what Brian wrote was based on story outlines written by Frank, discovered many years after Frank's death.

Books by Brian Herbert... Nope. I mind wiped those from my memory (I wish I really could). The books by him and Kevin J. Anderson are pablum at best, and directly contradictory to the originals and infuriating at their worst. I don't believe for a second that he really found the story outlines, or if he did, he didn't use them. (secret text follows) His "ending" to the series literally goes against the themes of the original six, with everyone coming back and Duncan becoming the prescient messiah-hero the series warned us about with a happy Paul and Chani reuiniting ending... ugh.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2020, 14:26.

Sep 10, 2020, 09:22
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 09:22
Sep 10, 2020, 09:22

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 23:59:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:57:
Regardless I haven't read the book so I still don't understand the point of Mau'Dib. So he becomes Super Jesus. Great. Now what? They change the face of Arrakis? To what? And why? And what happens after it's done and what does he do? Just ride around on worms while blasting rails of spice the rest of his days? What happens to the witches and space folding dudes and everyone else?

It's like Star Wars. They blew up the Death Star, so what? How the hell did that end the war? It's akin to some band of rebels destroying a Roman outpost somewhere and Rome itself falling for some inexplicable reason. So - back to Dune - the Emperor and all these other aristocrats just take a knee and say 'Hail to the King, baby!'?

The major theme of the Dune series is actually warning against charismatic leaders and the hero's journey. The idea that you should rely on yourself instead. It's one of the things explored in "God Emperor of Dune" when you finally see the reveal of Leto II's Golden Path and the reasons he did what he did.

As for the Emperor and other aristocrats, that is pretty much what they do. Those who didn't submit were subject to the very jihad that started this conversation, which burned its way across the galaxy and destroyed many worlds. In addition, you have to realize that the Fremen aren't just a "band of rebels"... Under Paul, they hold the single most important resource in the universe... Spice. The rest of the Imperium is so reliant on it (for space travel, soothsaying, etc) that to have access cut off would be disastrous... so you bend the knee.

Sep 9, 2020, 23:26
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 23:26
Sep 9, 2020, 23:26

Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 23:16:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:57:
Faran Tahir as Stilgar (he played Captain Robau in Star Trek [2009])
Sofia Boutella as Chani
Amr Waked or Hossein Mahjoub as Liet-Kynes (Hossein Mahjoub's performance in the Persian film The Color of Paradise is good; the film is good too)

Tahir I could see playing Stilgar definitely. Boutella is way too old for Chani... she's almost 40.

Sep 9, 2020, 23:15
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 23:15
Sep 9, 2020, 23:15

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 23:08:
MrBone wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:12:
The 1984 version still rides high. The TV version was excellent as well. This one, though I love the director’s work, seems a bit flat. We’ll see.

That version gets a lot of shit, but I love what David Lynch did with it. He created a world, and it drew me in. I rewatched it last year, and it was still awesome.

I've always felt it was actually closer to the book than most give it credit for... if you removed the weirding modules and just changed it to the Bene Gesserit weirding way fighting style, it's not too far off... Well, and Paul making it rain on Arrakis, thereby killing all the sandworms. That end sequence is probably the biggest slap in the face to the book concepts. Chop it off, and you're good.

Sep 9, 2020, 23:09
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 23:09
Sep 9, 2020, 23:09

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:58:
Um, how many times have your read the book? Stunned

I'd probably say about eight times. The entire series probably about three.

Sep 9, 2020, 23:07
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 23:07
Sep 9, 2020, 23:07

Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:40:
A description sure, but Paul did not speak that word. He said, "Jihad is coming." It would be like someone taking Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" and making it a day scene, or someone rebooting Star Wars and changing "the force" to "space magic" (or worse, midichlorians). Words matter, and when used in dialog, they have meaning, especially in a series like Dune with a rich tapestry based on Arabic culture and Islam. If I watch a movie based on a book, I want the film to match the source material as much as possible, and that means leaving a word like "jihad" in the movie regardless of whatever backlash they think they'll receive. Changing it is a red flag that they've decided not to stick with the books despite the impressive trailer.

The "description" I quoted was actually Paul's inner thought dialog, which is where the word jihad is used as well in the book - he never references it out loud, only in his head while talking about seeing it or stopping it. So in his own head, he uses both words in the novel. The movie is taking that inner dialog and swapping it to him saying it - since he used both terms in the book, either can apply. And since the novel itself specifically defines one as the other. So there isn't any "change" being made. Your suggestion of using "struggle" would actually be more of a change since just saying "struggle" would remove all the connotation that it's a holy war he sees, which jihad and crusade both convey.

Sep 9, 2020, 22:16
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 22:16
Sep 9, 2020, 22:16

1badmf wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:08:
not digging momoa as... who is he? halleck? idaho? duncan i think, the way he greets him upon arrival on arrakis. he's such a one dimensional actor. the others i greatly admire, but him - such an odd choice. like if arnold schwarzenneger played him in the 80s dune. but then again they got Sting to play feyd and he was grand, so momoa could totally surprise me i guess.

also, ornithopters!

I don't have an issue with Momoa as Duncan in this movie, since Dune's Duncan had a certain bravado about him that I think Momoa is okay casting. My concern comes from, if, by some slim chance the movie makes big box office, they get to make Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, Gohla-Mentat Duncan is such a nuanced part, that I don't feel Momoa can play... never mind if they get to God Emperor and beyond where he's the main character.

Of course, this all assumes that we're even going to get the second movie to finish the first book, since the the second one wasn't pre-approved or shot at the same time, it seems like it's dependent on box office. My biggest problem with the trailer is that it works for Dune fans, but I don't feel like it has any appeal to pull in the mass audience who knows nothing about it. I'm hoping they've decided to move the release date back (since there was no date on the trailer), and release a second trailer with a more mass appeal cut. Let's hope they don't botch the marketing like they did for Blade Runner 2049, where the trailers literally told you nothing, and anybody that wasn't a fan of Blade Runner wasn't going to be pulled into it.

And yes... Ornithopters! It was so nice to finally see flapping winged craft in an adaptation.

(Funny nitpick I had with the trailer... they seem to have shown part of the Paul / Jamis fight... and they're dueling in their stillsuits... Come on! Fremen aren't going to risk good desert gear like that! Especially when there was still a hike back to their sietch and one of them was going to still need theirs!. )

Sep 9, 2020, 22:05
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 22:05
Sep 9, 2020, 22:05

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 21:09:
*meh* I am less bothered by the word change the fact they seem to have him seeing the jihad coming when being questioned by Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam while on Caladan. While he did dream of the future while on Caladan unless my memory fails me (which is certainly possible) he doesn't dream of the jihad until much later. While this in of itself is not a major problem, it causes me fear of what else they might change...

You are correct, his dreams are of Arrakis and Chani. But this might be a slight-of-editing trick for the trailer as well... taking two dialogs and combining them for one narration.

Sep 9, 2020, 21:57
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 21:57
Sep 9, 2020, 21:57

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 21:29:
The rock opera Pink Floyd however does not bode well. This should be a classically scored work. I also wish he'd chosen some lower profile actors. Tired of seeing Momoa, Brolin, etc. everywhere. I like them yes but they've just all been in way too much stuff of late.

I think Floyd was used in the trailer as an homage to the Jodorowsky Dune, which was supposed to use Floyd. I believe the movie is going to be classically scored normally.

Sep 9, 2020, 21:54
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 21:54
Sep 9, 2020, 21:54

Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 21:01:
They did a regrettable thing by changing Paul's "there's a jihad coming" to "there's a crusade coming." Frank Herbert meant "jihad" as Dune's ethos is based around Islamic and Arabic themes. Plus, the word "jihad" is more fitting as it means "struggle." House Atreides is struggling to survive, as are the Fremen. It would have been better to use the word "struggle" as a word like "crusade" is loaded and has a history.

Except that he also used the word crusade in the book as well:

"... held back by no more than the Fremen and their Muad'Dib, the sleeping giant Fremen poised for their wild crusade across the universe."

and in the definitions at the end, jihad is literally defined as "a religious crusade; fanatical crusade"; even the Butlerian Jihad is referenced as the "crusade against machines", so using crusade works exactly as intended based on the original source text.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2020, 22:09.

Re: GeForce Gaming Videos
Sep 2, 2020, 11:20
Re: GeForce Gaming Videos Sep 2, 2020, 11:20
Sep 2, 2020, 11:20

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 2, 2020, 10:41:
As usual, Nvidia making performance claims that are ludicrous. A friend has the new 3080 to test, his results are not even close to what Nvidia is claiming. The 3080 is about the same performance as the 2080 ti in games that he has tested so far. Don't expect a lot of units to be available of the 3080 or 3090 for this year as the GDDR6X memory is in short supply since it just literally came out.

Has he been testing it on RTX enabled games? I've been curious since their benchmark pictures, whether it's just RTX gains (raytracing, etc) they're factoring.

Re: etc.
Aug 28, 2020, 14:24
Re: etc. Aug 28, 2020, 14:24
Aug 28, 2020, 14:24

In regards to one of the voice talents mentioned, I've been listening to James McAvoy in the Audible adaptation of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, and his voice as Dream is amazing... Netflix should really look into casting him in the lead for the series.

Re: The Division 2 Update Plans
Aug 27, 2020, 08:19
Re: The Division 2 Update Plans Aug 27, 2020, 08:19
Aug 27, 2020, 08:19

There isn't going to be gear slot colors anymore... That's what they were saying. It's just a generic slot, and you can put anything in it now. My only issue with this change is apparently they're putting all the mods into one list now. I don't know why you wouldn't keep them separated by offense/defense/skill so it's easier to use... Sorting on mods is terrible now, throwing everything together is only going to make it worse.

Re: Gotham Knights Announced
Aug 23, 2020, 00:13
Re: Gotham Knights Announced Aug 23, 2020, 00:13
Aug 23, 2020, 00:13

Slight clarification, this isn't from Rocksteady. That's the Suicide Squad game. This is from WB Games Montreal.

Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announcement
Aug 13, 2020, 18:30
Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announcement Aug 13, 2020, 18:30
Aug 13, 2020, 18:30

I can see it now... after selecting your character:

screen: "Coop Matchmaking..." for 10 hours.

You, finally giving up: "Damn it! nobody is playing this game!!"

You and everyone else (who all selected Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow (depending on side)) quits.

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition PC Issues
Aug 10, 2020, 23:01
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition PC Issues Aug 10, 2020, 23:01
Aug 10, 2020, 23:01

As an update to my setup and how it runs from my reply earlier... I'm over 30 hours into the game, not a single crash. Part of me wonders if it's because I never updated my drivers to the latest driver. lol. While my average framerate was 90 in the benchmark, my game FPS at 1440p is usually between 75-80, sometimes spiking higher. Also, if you're playing on ultra settings, you can knock the clouds down to medium for a 5-10FPS increase.

The only thing I did notice was that Aloy's hair doesn't animate properly on anything over 30 FPS. It moves a little, but it's very stiff. If you force 30 FPS, you have full hair physics.

Haven't gotten to Frozen Wilds yet, but apparently the deforming snow doesn't work. The main CS rep replied to a post on reddit that he forwarded to the development team, to see what's going on.
723 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    37  ] Older