Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 439 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Empire Earth III Demo
6. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 15:52 Evil Timmy

^^ this

Ever since playing Rise of Nations, I've found myself frustrated with everything else out there. One of the biggest refinements is getting mixed groups of units to move in formation. There's even options (box, line, wedge, siege) that cause your troops to arrange themselves based on unit types, and a simple mousewheel scroll while clicking to set direction changes the width of the formation (thicker vs longer line). I've watched thousands of units over dozens of games, mostly AA or scouts, who will blindly barrel into the enemy and get pulverized, while all the heavies are stuck two screens back. It makes working with a mixed force an exercise in frustration, especially when the fast units provide unique cover (again, AA units). C&C3 would have been twice as much fun if I didn't have to babysit my troops every single time they moved through hostile territory, and the fact that strategies have evolved to take advantage of this stupidity makes it clear that this is a necessary evolutionary step.

That is a big enough change in itself, and there are a dozen other things that RoN (and Rise of Legends, the decent-but-not-great sequel) do right that nobody else seems to have picked up on. I still can't help but feel that everyone is living in the shadow of the original Command and Conquer, afraid to step out too far because C&C is a perennial seller. Supreme Commander was interesting for a bit, but the issue from the paragraph above struck over and over again. The crazy zoom made for a nice view of the battlefield and meant you could hop around quickly, but it only exacerbated the issues with pathfinding and the grouping mentioned above. How long will it take before the lone soldier getting shot at the edge of your force is smart enough to tell the guy next to him 'Hey, I'm getting shot, help!' or your parked units are smart enough to either back up or go to investigate when getting shelled from off-screen?

When I play an RTS game, I'm put into the position of Commander. I shouldn't also be saddled with the titles of Babysitter, Mollycoddler, Physical Therapist, or Basic Survival Skills and Common Sense Dictator. RTSes are generally portrayed as more grown-up games, so when will they grow up themselves?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Painkiller: Overdose
10. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 21:44 Evil Timmy

This sequel to the eventual prequel

Wow, and I was slowly gearing up to do a long post about the 'prequels-as-sequels' trend that seems to be plaguing the games industry as of late. Now not only do I have to wonder why we can't just get on with the story, but why we need a follow-up to a prequel that apparently exists only in a developer's eye. Continuity is tough enough, if there's any level of detail, so now we're expected to keep track of what might go on in the previous events of a previous game, to understand what we're playing now, which came before the first game. That sentence makes sense logically, but in reality, they're just throwing us gibberish so the the all-too-common weak storytelling and writing doesn't even have to hold to its own basic rules and concepts.

I'm all for the simple, straightforward style of play that Painkiller and many other games offer. But Portal has proven that even a puzzle game can be well-written, actually develop throughout, have a sense of humor, and still keep the basics of the game as simple as desired. The 'epics' don't seem to have raised the baseline of storytelling, but maybe smaller games like this will prove that really, with a bit of thought, anyone can do it, and the simplicity or complexity of your gameplay is no excuse.

News Comments > Valve & Episodes to be Revisited
22. Re: Meh. Sep 26, 2007, 02:29 Evil Timmy

If they actually could pull episodes off like Sam and Max did, I'd get 'Episodic Gaming Rules' tattooed on my ass. Put out 1-2 hours of gameplay once a month, and charge, say, $6 each, or $5 with a subscription, or $4.50 if you pre-buy a whole 'season'. They'd need to redo their development tools and workflow (Hammer sucks, and even more so when you've gotta do quick work; if they had tools on par with UnrealEd, maybe), but it'd have two great advantages: constant mindspace because of regular but distinct releases, and a (fairly) steady income. They could even run it like a TV series, laying down all the basics but letting their cabals or outside developers 'direct' an episode under their supervision and guidance.

Not going to happen anytime soon, though. It'd take a reorganization of how the developers, marketdroids, and QA people work, and it's a risk on the level that bigger companies shy away on principle (habit) and smaller companies can't afford the possibility of failure. Someone will do it eventually, and I think it'll be a great success, but as long as monolithic dinosaurs like EA keep making the same decisions to turn the same buck, we'll get to wait years between 'episodes', being classed as such because it's written in black Sharpie over a sticker on the box saying 'new expansion pack!'.

News Comments > Steam Community Launched
4. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 01:03 Evil Timmy

Wow, I've got a SteamID around 5k, and I remember this being promised from way back then. GG Valve!

News Comments > Crysis DirectX 9 & 10 MP Performance
25. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 00:57 Evil Timmy

Err...what? They start off claiming that all these features are based on server load, then pawn it off on you not having Vista/DX10? Aren't any decent servers going to be dedicated, ie the graphics don't matter a damn bit because they're just calculating data and pushing around packets? Or are server operators now going to have to drop an additional $500 on a graphics card in addition to the rest of their hardware (and what serious admin wants to run Vista)? Wow, Microsoft, EA, and Crytek, the perfect clusterfuck.

I've been gaming on PC since my dad brought home a ~$3k 286, never lagged that far behind on hardware (a generation, at most, and top end), but really, the last few years have been disheartening. Insane copy protection, deep-seated bugs that screw you over well into a game, hardware/software that moves in epileptic fits and starts...after having a good friend with a 360 since launch, and despite some minor issues, I've been having so much more fun just being able to jump into a game without having to patch, then search forums for a separate fix to make the game playable, then read a guide because the devs screwed up an important game mechanic or quest, then deal with crappy MP (GameSpy, suck mah balls), I'm about done. The only thing PC-only I've really enjoyed this year was STALKER, and that despite many bugs (which are still waiting to be patched). Crysis will be out during the middle of an extended business trip, but when I'm back, I'm much more likely pick up a 360 of my own, rather than drop $1k+ on a new system. I'm wondering, is it really worth reinvesting for two games a year?

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 00:59.

News Comments > Preorder The Orange Box, Test TF2
56. Re: ... Sep 11, 2007, 18:06 Evil Timmy

is EP2 the last one for HL2, or is there going to be an EP3? I'm waiting until they're all out.
Three episodes is what I've heard consistently from Valve, so keep waiting.

/Sam and Max is still the only game to deserve the 'episodic' title

News Comments > UT3 Date Uncertain
37. Slomo Sep 11, 2007, 14:43 Evil Timmy

Anyway, I think you can slow down the game speed in UT2k4.

This is true of every Unreal engine game. For times where I just want some crazy carnage, I often bind two keys, one as slomo 0.5 (or whatever fraction of the game speed I prefer), and the other as slomo 1.0 to return it to normal speed. I can confirm this works in all the UT games, as well as Bioshock and MOH Airborne. Go all crazy Max Payne on dem bitches.

Free Prize in your Cracker Jacks: The command to slow down time in the Source engine (HL2/CS:S) is host_timescale 0.5 and you'll need sv_cheats 1.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Released
87. Horrible Performance Fix (Multi-Monitor) Sep 11, 2007, 14:34 Evil Timmy

If you're running an nVidia card in dual-display mode and getting ridiculously bad performance (~1fps), either disconnect your secondary display before playing or set ETQW to 'Single device performance' mode in the nV Control Panel. Hopefully this'll be fixed in before retail, but it's a simple solution for now. If you don't have the latest beta drivers, you may have to manually add an entry for your custom settings.

Overall? Meh. Not that impressed. And not enough of my friends have kept up with PC gaming (hardware or software; largely because of the 360) to really encourage me to buy this. It feels like an underpolished BF2142 mod.

News Comments > BioShock SM 2.0 Hack
17. Re: So... Aug 23, 2007, 05:33 Evil Timmy

Widescreen, with a proper FOV, does a better job at filling our natural vision, which is quite a bit wider than it is tall. Of course, if you're talking about the exact same horizontal size, a 4:3 display can't help but show you more, but beyond a certain viewing angle (in degrees, how much of your vision is taken up by a screen), that extra can't be processed well by your brain.

Think about a movie theatre screen. If you're sitting close enough to it, the width will fill up your perception, and the top and bottom of the screen will too, or at least come very close. Adding another 16% to the top and bottom would be distracting, as you'd have to shift your eyes up or down to take it in, cutting off the opposite edge of the screen. A 17" display wouldn't show nearly the same effect because it takes up less perceptual space, but as the size increases, so do the chances that 4:3 is going to result in cutting off the top and bottom anyways, whether visually or perceptually.

News Comments > BioShock Widescreen Woes
71. Parry and thrust Aug 22, 2007, 04:49 Evil Timmy

On Widescreen, And The Support Thereof: The debate seems to have spiraled into stupidity at this point (welcome to T3H INTERN3TZ!), with each side saying the other is 'missing something' from their viewpoint. But with the prevalence of widescreen LCDs (Dell's e228wfp and similar) and the fact that this is supposed to be the era of 'HD gaming' with current consoles, it's a bit unacceptable to not have proper support for both. Which is better is largely up to personal preference...I've tried many games on both 4:3 and 16:9/10 monitors and projectors, and I much prefer widescreen in general, and especially games that pull it off well (Source engine stands out).

And, jumping back to the first page, there's something I just had to mention:
zirik: every time you save a game it says not to turn of your system while doing so. only a console gamer is capable of accidentally turning off a system during a save game.
If only this were true. I was most of the way through my first playthrough of Fallout 2, and was saving at a good stopping point, before going underground in the Military Base (just before SanFran and the tanker). My sister walked over to look over my shoulder and see what I was doing, and managed to nail the 'Reset' button on the front of the case with her toe. Not only did it not save, but because it was in the middle of overwriting my old save, when I tried it again the save was corrupted. Oh well, 40 hours down the drain. *sigh*

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock
91. Re: Aug 21, 2007, 16:21 Evil Timmy

Decrypting my preload on Steam right now, be sure you restart to get the ball rolling. I'm in Hong Kong, so I think everywhere in the world, outside UK/Europe who got shafted by 2k, should be getting it unlocked about now.

See you all in about 40 hours...not before. *waves*

News Comments > Mafia 2 Announced
15. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 14:50 Evil Timmy

This game makes me feel tingly[1] in my special place[2].

1. prophetically empty
2. wallet

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock
48. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 13:12 Evil Timmy

Hmmm, Bioshock thread #4 in Popular Threads? It is soon to be. Let's hope that the added complexity and choice this game offers will set a standard for games in the future. Whatever your complaints, it's definitely a step in the right direction, and looks to be a hell of a lot of fun.

News Comments > BioShock Demo
121. Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:16 Evil Timmy

Heh, here's the trifecta. A few friends were over and we were all watching as it was first played through. We made it to the surface and sat there for ~10 seconds before I said 'Move...' questioningly, and...well, it turned out it wasn't a video. Got some dropped jaws and 'Oh sweet' from the group. Six hours 'till Steam unlocks this beast. Can't wait.

I'd strongly encourage everyone to actually get a chance to play this, not just the demo. It's obviously a very tiny slice of the actual game and features. You don't properly encounter little sisters/big daddies, who are a big part of the game, obviously; not to mention physics (beyond materials) haven't come in at all, no new ammo types, no good way to spend money, all of two enemies, two guns, and two plasmids, and the antagonist only makes a brief cameo (if you could even call it that) right at the end. For a game that's so much about freedom of choice and exploration, they gave a pretty straightforward and limited slice of the whole pie.

News Comments > Depths of Peril Demo
5. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2007, 18:57 Evil Timmy

Actually not bad...graphics are godawful, decade-old 3d even with everything maxed, and limited to 1280x___ res, but the rest of the game is actually decent. Combat can be a bit dull, but if that's your focus, you're missing out on all the new ideas they've implemented, the most obvious being factions and lifestones. Factions are the clans in town, and you'll run into them constantly, whether jockeying for position, trading for alliances or various resources, looking for travel companions, or plotting another faction's downfall. Lifestones are pretty vital to your, well, life, as they're respawn points for you which can be attacked by rivals.

As the PR says, it's under 70MB, so if you're looking for some light RPG action that'll assuredly be <$20 when it comes out, it's worth a shot.

News Comments > BioShock Preorders Steaming Up
53. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2007, 17:37 Evil Timmy

I was already set to drop my dime on this, but the 360 demo confirmed it. Deus Ex is the last game to give me that sort of fun, mixed with excitement, terror, and (largely) anticipation. My PC's up to it so I've bought/pre'd on Steam, which I've had no issues with (other than HL2 preload caches, but I was a HLFallout forum mod at the time and was actually part of the solution), and which'll get me the game a week quicker than stores here. Won't be surprised if my friends pick it up on 360 as well...none of them had played SS much if at all, but loved the environments, tone, and gameplay of the whole thing.

/almost glad for the short demo, it means I've got more to discover

News Comments > Red Stone Beta
1. No subject Aug 9, 2007, 13:27 Evil Timmy

Looks like Diablo, with promo art from any generic anime RPG, and plays like Excel: The Action-Adventure-MMORPG. Coming soon, a store where you can buy items that're actually useful (aka a revenue stream).

Pass/Fail? It fails, I'll pass.

News Comments > C&C3 - The Revolution WILL be Televised
7. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 Evil Timmy

Comrades, the revolution is here! Quickly, get your guns and torches, it's time for those bastards to pay for all th- huh?

Oh?

Okay, never mind, false alarm people, it's only a bullet point on patch release notes.

News Comments > Codemasters and GameTap
9. Re: It continues Aug 1, 2007, 23:59 Evil Timmy

Now if only GameTap was available outside the US o' A. For the price of Overlord I could have had it, and a huge back catalog, for five months, and I'm sure I could find plenty else to justify keeping up the subscription in that time.

Oh well though. Come September, the dam starts to break on the glut of releases for both 360 and PC which will all be fighting for my limited free time, all I need is 400 more games to tempt me.

439 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo