Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 438 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 4 Announced
84. Re: DOOM3 May 8, 2008, 15:17 Evil Timmy

One thing I think most games truly fail in is really being 'movie-like', and it's a problem of focus. For whatever reason, most devs seem to think movie-like means cutscenes and dialogue, but what is it that everyone really wants? The goddamn ACTION. This is one thing the FEAR games have really done well, and games in the future would do well to copy. In action movies, how often does the hero cower behind a crate and poke out for headshots, or run back to regain health? There's few more satisfying experiences in gaming than tossing a grenade, rushing out just as it explodes, seeing a corpse ragdoll through the air as you jumpkick a second guy in the face, landing two feet in front of someone you hadn't spotted, and quickly dispatching him with a point-blank shotgun blast that sends him into a bloody backflip. This all in a heart-pounding four second span.

In fact, why not base a game, and especially its regeneration, around precisely that? If you hide behind boxes, snipe at an achingly slow pace, and are generally a coward, your health (and/or XP, damage bonus, whatever) ticks up slowly. On the flipside, reward actions like the story above (which brought a smile to my face in FEAR Perseus Mandate), take these games that are supposed to replicate the balls-out fury of a blockbuster action movie and actually reward people for acting like an over-the-top action hero. Give the option to replay particularly dynamic scenes (esp. with a well-tuned third person 'Action Replay') and share them with friends. And be sure the game itself is rewarding, by adding more moves coupled with satisfying effects and animations, increasing damage and carnage, having really usable and destructible environments, and by giving unique options and attack styles for jumping/running attacks, melee, and all the different weapons.

Mirror's Edge is a yet-to-be-released and somewhat extreme case of what I'm talking about, and there's a new trailer of it at GameTrailers ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html ). Imagine that sense of weight and motion added to an FPS, and how that could change the current feeling of basically being an agile tank, a cylinder with a turret that rolls out, shoots, and rolls back, that seems to be the dominant paradigm in FPSes for the last, well, ever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS on the State of PC Gaming
18. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 14:33 Evil Timmy

Halo was a PC and Mac title at outset, I've still got an old Maximum PC with a preview of how features like multitexturing would show off new DirectX features and hardware. Pissed me off when MS bought Bungie and it became an Xbox exclusive.

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
244. Re: Service Based May 7, 2008, 14:16 Evil Timmy

The only game I can think of where DRM/antipiracy measures actually worked was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on PC. Without some insanely esoteric trickery, it took over a year for a working cracked version to be released. Very little else has lasted more than a week, and modern games are routinely available day-of-release if not earlier. But the whole purpose of DRM is to deter casual piracy. Nobody is (I hope) stupid enough to think that those dedicated to pirating software won't find a way. As I heard someone say in response to a pirated version of something or other not being available, "Top warez scientists are working on it right now." I would argue that with the prevalence of torrents, and the general worldwide increase in broadband speeds and availability, all piracy has become casual. And rather than punishing everyone but the pirates, there needs to be more incentive to purchase a game legitimately (since the IP infringement boogeyman, and simple morality, clearly aren't cutting it).

First, offer simple incentives (extra content, contests, online leaderboards, tags, whatever) for registering your product. In addition to increased sales, you also gain valuable marketing info. Second, for retail customers, put something useful in the box. I know I've still got quite a lot of cloth maps, beautiful and detailed manuals, coins, and other 'feelies' from many older games, but it's been a while since I've purchased a retail-boxed game that came with more than a DVD, a thin manual, and a registration postcard. This, along with nonfunctional, buggy, and/or performance-degrading DRM, has definitely pushed me to buying the majority of my PC games via online services, who have to make their systems work. Third, require some form of registration for ongoing online services. This could mean further content, forums, support, special websites with useful and interesting information, or whatever your heart may desire. Also, be innovative. There are certainly many other options than online keychecks or disc verification to keep your game from being pirated. Developers, take a more active stand, by either working with your publisher for a solution that's workable for you, them (meaning the stockholders) and your customers, or by ignoring DRM altogether.

And finally, and most importantly, be good. Produce games that are stable, polished, and enjoyable on day one, don't treat your customers like filth begging for your table scraps, treat them like what they are, people who love the same things you do and are eager to see what comes out of your hard work. Happy customers are loyal customers, and will support you with their time, effort, speech, and hard-earned cash, so that you both can continue to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
This comment was edited on May 7, 14:17.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: fastsilicon.com May 7, 2008, 10:37 Evil Timmy

These DRM systems are crap, and make it unnecessarily painful, especially when I've got a game on my desktop and want to play it on my laptop. I'm frequently gone for a week or more, with no chance of the game being played on both systems simultaneously, but many of these systems treat me like a pirate and require me to call support (on an expensive international call) to even play a game I've legitimately purchased.

Mass Effect looks great and from limited play on the 360 seems like a lot of fun. So I'll purchase it, leave it in the shrink-wrap, and download the inevitable cracked release within a few days. Why is it that the fictional horror stories from a few years ago, such as frequent day-one patches, crippling DRM, and spotty online activation, have all come true? Scientists have frequently mentioned Star Trek as an inspiration for their new technologies, but let's reverse that. Imagine if Data were ordered to go on an away mission, but refused to on the grounds he hadn't checked with his creator to see that his software was legitimate. "But Dr. Soong is dead!" "I'm sorry sir, please reactivate my nerual net." "Dammit Data!" *phaser blast*

News Comments > etc.
1. OMG! May 4, 2008, 18:41 Evil Timmy

The big bad Valve is out to get us! Their evil scheme this time: charging less money. Will their cruel tyranny ever end?!

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 10:12 Evil Timmy

From the Xbox360 manual, the PC version will be out on December 13, 2008. Source: http://gamesweasel.com/blog/news/gta-iv-pc-release-date/

Who could possibly imagine wanting to pirate a game - at least any decent game - over the Net with a 9600 or even 28.8 baud modem?
When I was dialing in to my local BBSes, and both my KB/s and age were in the single digits, even a game as large as a full 1.44MB floppy would take, at most, half an hour, whereas modern 6GB+ games would take three or four times that assuming you could saturate a 10Mbit connection. Yes, it was more difficult to acquire anything pirated, but computers were far more expensive and difficult as well, meaning that users had to be more technologically adept. The market was smaller, and anti-piracy measures amounted to 'quote word x from paragraph y on page z of the manual' if they existed at all. The only time in recent memory piracy was on a downturn was after the advent of CD drives in PCs; CD burners were well out of the reach of all but the most well-off home users and hard drives weren't big enough to store more than one or two games, again, except for those who had large amounts of disposable income and could easily afford the games. Pirating games has never been easier, I'm not contesting that, but relative to the times, it's never been that difficult.
This comment was edited on May 4, 10:26.

News Comments > Valve Q&A
7. Re: Valve is no longer in the game business May 3, 2008, 12:05 Evil Timmy

They are a for profit corporation now, not a game developer
I think you'll find that any team that isn't the former won't be the latter, at least not for long. Every developer I've met, talked to on the phone or online, or emailed, has been extremely passionate about their work. A game succeeding doesn't mean the devs immediately retire to their estate on the coast to count their money, it means they've got much more freedom to work on their next project, and in fact are less constrained by the corporate desire to make profit before all else. If anything, that's what motivates them: a quality game will sell, meaning they've got money to further refine and patch it, and can also work on their next project with less hanging over them. Nobody wants to see years of work destroyed because they don't have enough money to finish off a game (look at what happened to Gothic 3).

If you're going to be cynical about the games industry, there's far more worthy subjects and developers to be cynical about. With the general low standards and corporate-minded greed of publishers like EA and Ubisoft, and their frequent shafting of PC users, especially on console ports, Valve is a paragon of virtue in comparison. If any sort of corporate structure really chafes your balls that much, support IGDA winners and indie developers like TaleWords (Mount&Blade) with your hard-earned, but realize that without the money to support them, no developer can be focused and dedicated to providing you with enjoyable experiences in amazing worlds.

News Comments > Get a Life for Half-Life 2
1. Impressive May 1, 2008, 13:18 Evil Timmy

Downloaded this a few days ago, and it's really one of the most impressive SP mods I've ever seen. New, well, pretty much everything, including a Deus Ex-style damage system and pretty solid level design. If you're looking for something new to occupy the next couple hours, this will fit the bill well, and appears to be even longer than Ep2. And it's free!

News Comments > Mass Effect Preorders
29. Re: About pre-ordering... Apr 30, 2008, 09:54 Evil Timmy

First off, don't take this question the wrong way, Jerykk, it's purely one of curiosity, with no finger-pointing. I'm wondering at what point you consider a game 'evaluated'. Do you play for a certain time, or through the first act, or do you finish it and buy it only if you'd replay it? And how much does multiplayer factor in? Your issue seems to be how many cookies you eat before you determine the batch is good (sorry, just took some bourbon-walnut-chococolate-chip cookies out of the oven, they're invading my brain while still too hot to invade my stomach). The last game I pre-ordered was Doom 3, and felt pretty burned by that, at least until Doom Classic made it feel more worthwhile, courtesy of devoted fans and years later. Valve's frequent 10% discounts for the first week are appreciated, as that's enough time for both professional reviews and community feedback to accumulate.

And while I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect, PC ports are always on shaky ground (a middle finger in your direction, Gears of War, and everything that uses the shamefully bad Games for Windows Live API). I'll be on tour until a month or so after the game's release, so I'll have plenty of time to see opinions after the fact, but why not extend the question out to everyone. What does it usually take to convince you to buy a game? Solid previews, 80%+ on MetaCritic or GameRankings, a trusted reviewer's nod, community support, good multiplayer, a demo, or a run-through of the actual game via piracy?

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
36. Re: Typical Valve Hubris Apr 27, 2008, 09:06 Evil Timmy

The only real difference over those previous games' portals is that Portal's are fired from a gun.

Aah, so you're saying the only real difference is the entire game? Look, I can understand the hate in general, but that's just a ridiculous statement. Prey's portals are at least visually similar, but the entire basis for Portal is that you solve various puzzles by careful timing and placement of multiple portals. In Prey, they exist to make me dizzy when I just want to be shooting stuff, and are little more than a gimmick. Serious Sam did a better job of integrating portals and reverse- (or perverse-) gravity sections, IMO.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
7. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2008, 08:44 Evil Timmy

For those of you complaining about the homogenous nature of all these interviews, here's an excellent article by Leigh Alexander (who writes for GameSetWatch and The Escapist) at her blog ( http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/04/aint-no-holiday.html )

All companies -- not just in the games industry, mind you -- need to decide on a consistent message to put out to the press. Their public relations teams are tasked with staying on top of the current issues in their given industry and preparing that consistent message on every issue under the sun. In other words, executives are largely scripted and have been prepped ahead of time when talking to the press.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: SP3 Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 Evil Timmy

If you really think you'll miss that (and I can confirm it's missing in SP3 RTM), try the new Windows Desktop Search ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 ). It lets you type in an address in a similar way (and will open in Firefox or your default browser), and is a vast improvement over the default search.

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
33. Re: Stalker Apr 27, 2008, 08:26 Evil Timmy

Let's play Six Degrees of Portal!

Portal is in Steam news this week. Steam is the exclusive DD service for Stalker Clear Sky. S:CS is a post-apocalyptic game. The post-apoc setting is the heart and soul of Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is developed by Bethesda. A BethSoft developer made one of my favorite (brutal) addon maps for Portal: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2007/11/01/developing-in-our-spare-time-too/

As Jerykk and NW said, there's loads of community-created Portal maps out there, and you can usually find something that suits the type of play you like (strategic, fast-reflex, or mind-bending puzzler). With as much as there is available, I'm glad they're not rushing to push out another Portal. Hey, maybe next year we'll get Ep3/Portal2/Hello Kitty Island Adventure 2: The Reckoning in the Burnt Sienna Box.

News Comments > Gothic 4 Subtitle, Details
11. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2008, 18:13 Evil Timmy

Spellbound's last two games, Desperados 2 and Chicago 1930, scored a 65% and 34% respectively (I couldn't find any reviews for Helldorado). Coupled with JoWood's consistent policy of shipping games when they're good and done and polished (hah!), I'm not full of hope regarding Gothic 4. Gothic 3, while bug-ridden and pushed out too early, was still an enjoyable game, and with the community patches it's reached a reasonable level of stability. It's also the only RPG I've played that actually made an archer class enjoyable, and the world they created was detailed, varied, and full of surprises (including occasionally falling through it). It's also rare to find a game where the faction you choose affects the game so much, and there's such a high level of replayability. Blame Piranha Bytes for overreaching, sure, but at least they were willing to try new things, outside of the Diablo/D&D realm.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: No subject Mar 23, 2008, 00:23 Evil Timmy

First of all, if you didn't read the little blurb at the bottom, and have been around gaming sites as long as most people here, you'll remember the author, shaithis from GameSpy, and that should explain a fair bit. Second, I'll preface this by saying that I actually count some of the same games my favorites (top: FO1/2 > Deus Ex > SS2 > BioShock, probably Mass Effect when I get a full playthrough).

I enjoyed Morrowind more than Oblivion, mostly because the former felt like exploring, and the latter grinding. But both games were an entirely different and better animal after the mod community had their way with 'em. And this is my hope for Fallout 3. The devs have already said 'We're going to scale back the size and bump up the detail', which I'm taking to mean fewer but more diverse encounters. Right off the bat, this means mod makers will have more to work with and more inspiration, as well as a detailed central world to extend out from, rather than 100 tombs with three layouts. What I've seen so far of the gameplay reminds me more of Mass Effect than Oblivion, with the addition of targeted shots aka VATS. Graphically I have no qualms, as the game looks great, although I do hope modders don't have to fix a broken, ugly console GUI.

My biggest concern, because it was such a big deal in the Fallouts and nonexistent in Oblivion (and, stupidly/scarily, most other RPGs), was the effect of your choices. In dialogue or by your actions, you could shape what happened to you, NPCs, or even entire towns, adding a sense that you were actually changing and shaping the story and world around you. This adds so much immersion and also serves to make the game more replayable. And I'm not just talking about alternate solutions to quests, ie your standard goodie-two-shoes vs total dickweed options, but a real choice that has merit on both sides, both for you as a player and your character, and lasting tangible effects.

In fact, I think it's one of the biggest problems (or biggest opportunities) in the gaming world today. You're given an amazing world to play in, weapons, items, technology/magic, a broad cast of characters...but at the end of the day, you're on a ride at Disneyland. You can't change anything, and freedom is just as much an illusion. You may be able to sit at the front or back of the ride, but it'll always play out the same way. Sandbox games are a step in the right direction, but also miss the point. If you talk to someone who's played the same game, the unique retelling of what happened is generally limited to feats pulled off in combat, not "I fought a tough battle, but managed to save the village, and they led me to a secret cache of supplies, as well as sending scouts to help me evade enemy patrols, or fight them if necessary" vs "I left the village to be slaughtered and wiped out the haggard and poorly supplied patrols after, picking up helpful information about my primary mission, as well as plenty of loot that happened to be lying around on all these fresh corpses..." That's real choice that affects the game world, your personal story in it, and how your next actions play out.

/also, inspired by my tendency to be rather verbose, is there any chance we could increase the size of the text box for posting? It takes up maybe 5% of my screen, and it'd be helpful to see more of my post, for formatting and to keep me from blathering on all day. Thanks.
This comment was edited on Mar 23, 00:26.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Patch
9. Re: Not BioWare's Mar 22, 2008, 23:40 Evil Timmy

Hahaha, I remember crapping myself with laughter the first time I ran into the familiar bug. An 8" tall ferret (almost said _my_ 8" tall ferret) was gallivanting through town carrying a glowing dwarven waraxe and beating the crap out of whoever he came across. Squeak softly and carry a big stick, I guess.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
16. Re: ugh Mar 17, 2008, 20:52 Evil Timmy

straylight, was this the infamous crash when using the boat after the whole Society of Leopold monastery/cave thing? It was mostly fixed in the official 1.2 patch and totally fixed shortly after in a fanmade patch, but it was very common in the release version. Loved the game, played it through twice (release and on one of the earliest fan patches), and it'll probably get another run-through assuming I finish Deus Ex/IW before GTA IV comes out.

The fan patches have steadily improved the overall gameplay experience, making it far more balanced and enhancing/unlocking the existing content. Guns (which were as useful as a sock puppet with "scary teeth" sewed on in the original) actually became useful as primary or complementary weapons, and many bits of dialogue and story branches were unlocked and cleaned up. If you found yourself mildly disappointed by the promise of the original, or are looking for an excuse to replay it, go do so, as you'll have a fun and unique time.

News Comments > Requiem Bloodymare Beta
4. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2008, 19:31 Evil Timmy

On a semi-related note, has anyone been keeping up with CBC series jPod (check your local torrent for listings)? The main character is a gore artist, working in EA-alike Neotronic Arts in Vancouver. It started off interesting and has turned out to be both excellent and funny, and it's close to my favorite currently airing series. The cast has really come together in the latest two or three episodes, making the jokes that much funnier and buoying the somewhat outlandish but always unique storylines of each episode, and the overall arc is engaging and entertaining. If you haven't seen it, it's worth DVRing or acquiring by other means, especially being the only gamer-centric series out there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2008, 19:02 Evil Timmy

Sorry for distracting you from your normally scheduled Ancient Greek programming, but this is goddamned ridiculous. Has the US really become this weakened through Bushite politics and gutting of the Armed Services?

In a ceremony that received virtually no attention in the American media, the United States and Canada signed a military agreement Feb. 14 allowing the armed forces from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a domestic civil emergency, even one that does not involve a cross-border crisis.

The agreement, defined as a Civil Assistance Plan, was not submitted to Congress for approval, nor did Congress pass any law or treaty specifically authorizing this military agreement to combine the operations of the armed forces of the United States and Canada in the event of a wide range of domestic civil disturbances ranging from violent storms, to health epidemics, to civil riots or terrorist attacks.
Read more: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57228

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 19:03.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: No subject Feb 25, 2008, 05:24 Evil Timmy

I'm just about done playing Deus Ex (for the fourth or fifth time), and it's still great. This is my first playthrough with Shifter ( http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/shifter ) however, and it's certainly improved the overall experience. Combine that with Project HDTP (improves textures; http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/ ) and an updated renderer ( http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ) and you've got a significantly tweaked and generally more enjoyable and better-looking game. IW is next, after my unrelenting addiction to SoaSE (verbed as Sinning, among my gamer friends) allows me a moment's peace.

438 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo