Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 438 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints?
22. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints? Jul 22, 2010, 17:29 Evil Timmy

Special collectors edition including Companion Cube Bobble Head, miniature crowbar and Infected christmas ornaments only $129.99!

WTB

Also, as a random aside, after HL2/Source's heavy use of physics, I never understood why L4D didn't have more in the way of environmental ways of killing zombies/area denial/player escape. Zombie movies are rife with examples of creative uses of the environment, and adding physics elements, especially if combined with the AI director, adds even further to the creativity and replayability present in the L4D series. Especially in the finales, being able to set traps and modify escape routes would really allow players to work out their own unique strategy. It wouldn't need to be Garry's Mod/The Incredible Machine/Rube Goldberg-level complex, but a few swinging logs, electrified light fixtures, and zombie-paults would be a fun addition in a future patch/level/L4D3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2010, 14:11 Evil Timmy

Wow, that dual GTX 480 must need a nuclear plant to run: the reactor to give it enough power, and the cooling tower to deal with all that heat.  

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
15. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 13:31 Evil Timmy

Psychonauts sequel? Yes please! I showed up late to that party, only played it 2-3 years ago, and it was a brilliant gem of a game that without fail had friends ask me curious questions after witnessing 30 seconds of it. The art direction, writing, style, and creative gameplay challenges definitely give it classic status in my book. And, just to add to the chorus, Tim Schafer does rock.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
10. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jun 28, 2010, 00:26 Evil Timmy

At this point, I think more effort has been put into fixing and correcting the game than was initially put into the actual game. It's one of the few games I've played through more than twice, and each time it's been a better experience because of increasing computer power and these patches.

Still no cure for cancer...

News Comments > Command & Conquer Sale
8. Re: Command & Conquer Sale Jun 17, 2010, 04:46 Evil Timmy

Assuming last year's Christmas sale gets carried onto this year (which is a safe assumption, seeing as they managed to cripple their normally resilient servers with the sheer number of downloads), I think I'll just pick these, and another few dozen games up then.

Besides, I'm waiting for another RTS (other than the Rise of Nations series) to have the basic AI and grouping required to have a mass of units actually move together, rather than every unit proceeding at their own speed and having the light units massacred if not micromanaged. It's spoiled me on every other RTS out there, even the venerable Starcraft, and is one of those ideas that seems ridiculously obvious once out there. The fact that nobody's picked it up yet after seven years just shows how shamefully formulaic the RTS genre remains, and why nothing from the genre will get my wallet's vote, at least until I can pick them up for pocket change.

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced
6. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 01:07 Evil Timmy

That's Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love from early last decade.

As for this game...this doesn't tell me anything about the actual gameplay, but Criterion is probably the best dev out there to carry on the spirit of the NFS franchise. Considering their source material made for the best games in the series, this could be a match made in heaven.

Points for the Police Bugatti, though. The most hardened criminal in the world, driving anything but the Hennesey Venom GT, would pull over, smash his own face with a nightstick, and crawl into the back seat of a cruiser himself after seeing that in his rear-view.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 ATI Issue
14. Re: Just Cause 2 ATI Issue Jun 10, 2010, 16:07 Evil Timmy

If you've got the money for a monitor that actually runs at 2560x1600 (at least $800, occasionally a little lower on sale), you can probably afford a dual-GPU solution and the system to back that up. I just built a 1080p-Crysis-on-max SFF desktop for under $1500, but there's a big jump between that and playable on a 30" at 2560x1600, which is about double the number of pixels.  

News Comments > On Pro Gamer Fitness
12. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:22 Evil Timmy

Can't tell if it's overwhelming sarcasm or ridiculously obvious trolling, but whatever LittleMe's post was composed of, it's blinding.  

News Comments > Respawn News at E3
3. Re: Respawn News at E3 Jun 8, 2010, 11:41 Evil Timmy

Medal of Duty: Allied Warfare! The game we've all been waiting for!  

News Comments > On Pro Gamer Fitness
4. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 11:27 Evil Timmy

And even if gamers hate exercise, they can sneak it in. Keep weights by the computer, and do a quick set every time you die, while you wait to respawn (as 'punishment'). Or during commercial breaks while watching TV. I've added 15 pounds of muscle and lowered my body fat by 2% in the last year, largely courtesy of getting into that habit. Even with light weights, it'll ratchet up your metabolism if done regularly, meaning if you just sit on ass all day, you'll end up with less of it to sit on than you otherwise would.

InBlack: Indeed, the one game that's undeniably better in multiplayer.

News Comments > Portal 2 Surprise Planned
17. Re: Portal 2 Surprise Planned Jun 1, 2010, 19:30 Evil Timmy

Finally, they're going to announce the sequel to their best-loved game of all time. Ladies and gentlemen, gird thy loins for... RICOCHET 2!

But yeah, it's totally HL(ep?)3. And seeing as the Orange Box was Valve's huge blockbuster product, I'd be surprised if they didn't do something similar. Portal 2 has had some teases, but it's been almost three years since Ep2 came out with no word, so it's time to crank up the marketing in plans for a November release. At this point, though, barring Sam & Max episodic gaming is dead. Now we've got casual, DLC, and indies all taking a different chunk of that pie, and there's not a lot of crumbs left.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Patch
11. Re: BioShock 2 Patch May 29, 2010, 00:43 Evil Timmy

Ooh, pretty! It's like a pyramid of hate.  

News Comments > Alien Breed: Impact Demo and Pre-Purchases
12. Re: Alien Breed: Impact Demo and Pre-Purchases May 29, 2010, 00:42 Evil Timmy

Not a big fan of the clunky controls, and I know it's a popular effect, but I think I spent more time looking at a blurred screen than a clear one. Nearly every action and attack makes the screen shake and blur, and coupled with the aiming system, it makes it feel like you're wearing oven mitts. It feels old-school in the worst kind of way. I might pick it up at the next Christmas sale for $2, but it doesn't seem worth even this low ($13.50) of a full price.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway
11. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 16:16 Evil Timmy

Yeah, the last free weekend completely un-sold me on the game. Even with the glut of new players, I spent half the time either waiting to join a game or waiting for that game to migrate to a different host. And while I thought standards for MP were improving, this feels like the early days of CS, where certain weapons are overpowered and ping is absolutely everything. I really think BC2 pulls off this style a lot better, and I prefer the money I spend actually have a chance of reaching the people who made the game. Also, Bobby Kotick can eat all the dicks for making it clear that everyone, from gamers to developers, are filth that should consider themselves privileged to bask in the glow of his radiant magnificence and corporate acumen.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2010, 17:03 Evil Timmy

While motion blur shaders can somewhat compensate for it, the big difference is that film and video cameras capture the entire 1/24th (or 1/30th) of a second, whereas your video card only renders a snapshot in time. This means you need a higher framerate for your brain to perceive continuous motion. Pause your DVD during an action scene and you'll see that it's blurry, but yet it looks clear while playing.

I used to be annoyed by 60Hz CRTs, as in light areas the flicker was perceptible, whereas at 75Hz or higher it disappeared. And the new DLP projectors in movie theaters are a godsend, because even at 48Hz (each 24fps frame has the lamp flashed through it twice) the flicker really bugged me, especially in scenes with a lot of motion.

News Comments > MechWarrior 4 Workarounds
8. Re: MechWarrior 4 Workarounds May 2, 2010, 21:04 Evil Timmy

Why they didn't publish a torrent in the first place, and prefer it, is beyond me. Bundle an installer with the assets (which is 98% of the data) and just get the few necessary updates, keeping it in your MTX ecosystem but saving on bandwidth and embarrassing downtime when you're trying to get good PR for future projects. It's not 2001, where most people are on dialup and 2GB is obscenely huge. These days, 2GB of free game means people with even a passing interest will download it almost without thinking.

For Wowbagger or anyone else who can't get the torrent, I've rehosted it on MediaFire here (Edit: This torrent is the one from ISOHunt, so it has DHT/PX enabled as well as using a variety of public trackers like openbittorrent and ilibr in addition to Mektek's tracker, which as of this post is still up)

This comment was edited on May 2, 2010, 21:47.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2010, 20:38 Evil Timmy

I can definitely second what banddirector is saying. Winter was mild and mid-February through mid-March were unseasonably warm and nice. Since then the weather's been crappy with virtually no let-up. It was especially harsh after spending a week in California (Coachella was awesome!) then having to come back to Seattle weather that felt like all the stereotypes people have, rather than the normal mild partly-cloudy weather we usually have.  

News Comments > PC Conviction Delay Explained
11. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 14:53 Evil Timmy

To paraphrase Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and press releases."  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2
47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2 Mar 28, 2010, 08:50 Evil Timmy

Bolo patch for the full version is here: http://m0.to/BOLOPatch/betachanged.php  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2010, 17:46 Evil Timmy

If that's all you do in ME2's combat sequences, try cranking up the difficulty. At one notch above normal, not only is nearly every battle a real challenge, but enemies will move up and flank, and they're a serious enough threat to force you to move. Even early on, I found myself tactically repositioning my squaddies around corners and such to cover my retreats and advances, just so I wouldn't get slaughtered. It really makes the game a lot better, when you're not nigh invincible and you've actually gotta consider how you play, rather than hiding in one spot or just unloading and counting on superior firepower.  

438 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo