Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 440 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 20, 2016, 16:28 Evil Timmy

ADR1FT cancelled for Xbox One.

Game called on account of excessively dumb mid-2000s title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Zombasite Demo
2. Re: New Zombasite Demo Aug 7, 2016, 16:09 Evil Timmy

Hey, lay off their website design, Soldak is really busy making the same game over and over again.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 25, 2016, 04:35 Evil Timmy

I'm really on the fence about this one being an issue, even as an audiophile (bona fides: my audio setup is worth more than my computer and projector setup combined, and I've worked professional sound on a Sundance-award-winning short film among many others). It's kind of like car audio: the environment has more of an effect on your listening experience than what the drivers can put out, and any difference in quality but the most severe will be drowned out by the ambience. Bluetooth is already the universal standard in phone audio, even reaching to the bottom of the range. If you're the kind of person who buys brand new phones shortly after release, you've already got Bluetooth headsets and speakers. And if you can tell the difference between 320KBps MP3 and FLAC/WAV, your monitor speakers are on Auralex pads and your walls are covered in spiky acoustic foam.  

News Comments > Windows Gaming Survey
20. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 04:30 Evil Timmy

Where'd they get that list of hard drive sizes, 2009? Can you even buy a new HD that's 99GB or less, and why would you? Windows + Steam + a AAA 2016 game = full.

I hope they enjoy the 990-ish characters I crammed into those text boxes, and with only 60% of their RDA of sarcasm per paragraph!

They called it out in a recent Silicon Valley episode: you can't just let a bunch of engineers who think like you try the product, you have to let some real humans, even some of the mouth-breather distinction, have a crack at it. One of my favorite examples: in one of the Win10 betas, the actually-installing-Windows part of the process had "Setup" used four different ways (eg "Setting up" "Configuring setup") for stages of the same 0-100% progress screen. Maybe it meant something different to the engineers who coded it, but it was somewhere between meaningless and frustratingly obtuse to any end user.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed
8. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed Jun 9, 2016, 05:03 Evil Timmy

It would make sense to have a rubbery coating on his daily use aug hands, something with give and texture to allow him to grab slippery, hard non-porous, or fragile objects. I can't imagine they'd try to have fingers for grasping made purely of smooth polished carbon fiber; otherwise, when Adam Jensen makes an omelette, he breaks a lot of eggs.

That said, I agree that the sound pulled me out of the cutscene, I expected at least something different than the same mirror/glass wipe sound we've heard in a thousand movies. I would have liked to see a twist on the first game, like Jensen going to break his mirror and his malfunctioning aug arm twitching and just bouncing off the glass.

News Comments > The Division Patch Tomorrow
3. Re: The Division Patch Tomorrow Mar 22, 2016, 05:06 Evil Timmy

I had the same reaction, didn't expect much but found myself surprisingly engaged by the game. Maybe because it feels like an ARPG with a cover shooter wrapped around it, rather than the other way around, but I find it scratches the RPG/exploration itch far more effectively than the weak-substitute-for-proper-balance ultralight progression systems that have bloomed over the last few years. Simultaneously, the shooter elements are Good Enough™ that I feel my player skill is actually involved, as opposed to RPGs that lay the spreadsheet bones too bare and make me feel like I'm using my heroic powers to command Excel, not the forces of good against injustice and tyranny.
Matchmaking is fast and easy, it's been perfectly stable on a modern rig, and devs have been responsive to the community. Not sure how long lv30 will keep everyone entertained and around (it's much more fun in a party) or the quality of the eventual DLC, but for now I'm having a blast.

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Launch
8. Re: Need for Speed PC Launch Mar 17, 2016, 05:03 Evil Timmy

It hasn't been "Road & Track presents The Need for Speed" in a long, long, long time. Every time they try and shoehorn story into these games it's more and more atrocious, and simultaneously we're seeing immense quality from near zero budget productions on YouTube every minute, so why this lame 90s POV four-CD-ROM-style FMV garbage?  

News Comments > More GeForce Driver Issues
12. Re: More GeForce Driver Issues Mar 15, 2016, 14:41 Evil Timmy

Part of the issue is that these are the "Game Ready" drivers, so especially for those that have paid out the nose for SLI setups, the updates range from slight tweaks to completely necessary to get the game running. I updated for The Division and was getting straight-up restarts until reverting to 361.91 (362.00 has had some issues with GTX 970 clocks). The last few months have had no issues, seems like they're just on a bad streak, and I definitely ran into more problems with AMD's drivers and an R9 280x in my last setup.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Heavy Rain on PS4 looks absolutely amazing in first screenshots. Nov 21, 2015, 13:22 Evil Timmy

For the love of god, yes. Scientists say we're going to hit Peak Superlative within the next twenty years. If we exhaust the giant underground reservoirs of "amazing" and "you won't believe", mostly located miles deep under Greenland and the Mongolian steppes, our children's generation will be limited to lab-created "cool" to express the entire human range of excitement. Please, Buzzfeed wannabees, think of the children!  

News Comments > SOMA Movie
4. Re: SOMA Movie Sep 29, 2015, 02:43 Evil Timmy

I did sound on a day of this shoot, in a bit that comes later, and know a bunch of people on the production. I haven't played the game and still have no idea what's going on, even having read that day's sides. I'm definitely intrigued, though, and I'm happy to see this making it out into the wild, a huge amount of work was going into the detailed execution of a well-laid-out plan from what I saw. And if it sounds like I'm being vague, we're under NDA until they release the whole thing.  

News Comments > More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
2. Re: More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Apr 10, 2015, 10:05 Evil Timmy

So after the relatively disappointing sales of AW, they're...doubling down on the silly bombastic technology angle? Thanks, but if I want my SpecOps troops with crazy badass technology, I'll stick with Deus Ex.  

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
23. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 8, 2015, 07:09 Evil Timmy

I've always wondered about QTEs, because in addition to being silly and pointless on their own, they also nearly always switch up the controls from what you're used to. Make it a different perspective but still using the reflexes and actions we've been honing the rest of the game. For example, the boss swings his big-ass sword along the ground and the game nudges into slo-mo...don't make me hit four random keys, then invert my keyboard and do the Truffle Shuffle in front of my camera, just to jump over the attack. That's not what I spent the last 7 hours of your game learning how to do.

Why have the same rote set of button presses every time? Spend a little animation budget and give some intuitive branching options that follow your actions in the rest of the game. In the scenario above, you could jump to clear the sword, and if you're super bad ass perfectly time a second jump to step on the blade, launching you to a gleaming gem embedded otherwise inaccessibly high in the wall. Or, you could dodge the swing and charge in, using the opportunity to strike a blow to an unarmored flank for extra damage, shortening the boss battle. Failing to dodge doesn't reset the sequence, but instead injures you, temporarily limiting your options and possibly cutting you off from treasures, perfect kills, or stronger attack opportunities. Asking me to memorize a pattern of four-color button presses got old with Simon, and that came out in 1978!

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Dec 3, 2014, 12:21 Evil Timmy

Man, I'll bet Derek Smart is kicking himself for not working on the BC/UC series. He could have made All The Money first and never have to actually come through on his undeliverable promises. So, if he hasn't discovered it yet, everyone hush and don't spoil it by telling him that Kickstarter is a thing that exists. He might rupture an ego.  

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in November
6. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in November Sep 6, 2014, 07:13 Evil Timmy

They promise 60FPS 24/7.

Even on my 486 DX2-66MHz? It's got a lavish 16MB of RAM!

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 13:32 Evil Timmy

Good, it's about time we had a "legitimately gay" character. So this means his armor choices consist of 30 varieties of short shorts, spells are cast with a limp wrist and emit rainbow sparkles, and his lisp-heavy dialogue is peppered with as many occurrences of "bitch" as a Jesse Pinkman-centered spinoff?

I kid Bioware, because they've actually been willing to step out of the white male protagonist stereotype. Rest of the games industry? At least they'd be acknowledging that "gay" is a possibility, the above would almost be a step forward. Give it ten years, and you might even begin to see believable relationships that don't treat sex (of any sort) as a "pick the right dialogue and get a watered down teenage fantasy cutscene" trophy to be acquired.

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 12, 2013, 22:20 Evil Timmy

tl;dr 10 and 11 have more differences under the hood, but more powerful shaders are what you'd actually see

10 and 11 especially are mostly under-the-hood updates, moving to a new Windows driver model, 64-bit, and making many small tweaks to efficiency and ease of coding. The difference an end user would be able to see would really be apparent in how powerful shaders were, DirectX 9 had a fixed set of functions but 10 and 11 are fully programmable and can both be used more heavily and interact with more objects in the scene (ie not just paint the image but perform more actual functions in the game world). Bioshock Infinite on PC looks stunning if you enable the Alternate shader rather than the normal DX9-era bloom, and it's an effect that's DX11 only. Depth of field and a number of other mathematically-similar calculations benefited from DX11's improved rendering pipeline, they were possible before but not practical given the hardware of the day and lower efficiency in the code.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots
17. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 Evil Timmy

Valve has definitely been more interested in consoles since The Orange Box did well for them, and they'd be stupid not to target the PS4/X720 with any major update to Source. As a gamer, I'd also be happy to not see 75% of the triple-A titles be mottled grey-brown Unreal Engine 4 games, especially on the Xbox side of the fence, because that already happened with UE3. More like Smears of Bore, amirite?! But, seriously, the small drab levels with chest-height barriers that I get to COWER behind for a third of the game are not where I thought shooters would be, playing Deus Ex over a decade ago.

Since the prices I've seen floating around have all been in the $700+ plus range for the Steambox/Piston/whatever, it's not so much competition for the new generation of consoles as an easy way to get a living-room-friendly device that bridges the gap between powerful desktop and dead-simple console. They seem to be driving for that gap, targeting a younger generation that has seen consoles expand hugely in what they can do, and who wants even more than that, as their tastes and pocketbooks have grown. Seeing as LCD screens are pretty much everywhere now (I'm thinking of installing a third in the toilet bowl, the first two just don't let me absorb enough media in the 48 seconds I spend a day peeing), the idea of a small, portable gaming device that's also a powerful-enough PC, that I can plug in almost anywhere I go...that sounds pretty appealing. Now if only they could attach a screen to it and let me place it somewhere comfortable and convenient, like my lap...

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
12. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Nov 8, 2012, 19:29 Evil Timmy

Since it's been a while...

VTM:B gets another patch, nearing a decade after release. Still no cure for cancer.

News Comments > GRID 2 Gameplay Trailers
5. Re: GRID 2 Gameplay Trailers Sep 28, 2012, 02:16 Evil Timmy

Wait, so does this one have actual racing in it? Nice. Kinda missed that from all but one event in Dirt Showdown. Can we get drifting back too? I really, really enjoyed the original, so I'm hoping this is a return to form from Codemasters' hyper-arcadey bent. When Criterion starts making more serious and realistic racing games than you, it might be time to examine the direction you're headed in.  

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
19. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:16 Evil Timmy

that pile of crap Lionheart

Hey, the first, oh, third or so of Lionheart was awesome. Clever quests and setting, good variety in combat and enemies, just filled with good ideas. None of which made it into the super-grindy last half+ of the game, which was one dungeon crawl after the next. The devs obviously had something great in the works before crunch time hit and they had to churn out all the later levels. With another six months properly funded, they could have had a genuine hit, but clearly that's not what we ended up with. Yet another great game claimed by Interplay's (and by that, I completely and entirely mean the Caen brothers) spectacularly inept flailings as heads of a game publisher.

440 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo