Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for FloorPie

Real Name FloorPie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description junk and like..stuff
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 08:32
Total Comments 458 (Amateur)
User ID 19464

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia?
16. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 13:29 FloorPie

Dear Lord, this is the internet era Andrey. Its not hard to find a cd player these days. Just walk into your local walmart and buy one if you don't want to order online.

I'm also totally convinced that the metadata/saves will totally work with non Stadia versions of games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store
3. Re: PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store Jul 16, 2019, 20:24 FloorPie

Meh, good if you wanted VR version on PC I guess. Its $20 on PS4 these days, disc version even which is about the max I'd pay for a tetris game these days.  

News Comments > Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund
11. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 13, 2019, 22:04 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 20:28:
Holy shit, the chargeback fee to the Developer/Publisher is $20 !?!? That's insane! Is that automatically filed by the credit card companies when a customer reports a suspicious charge? It seems like that could potentially bankrupt small studios.

I'm honestly surprised that various digital entertainment companies don't charge people fees to use a credit card. The outcry of anger probably keeps them tolerating the expense. I've noticed I'm getting hit with foreign exchange fees thru paypal managed credit card charges now on one of my cards for GoG purchases which means I'm paying $1-3 more for games in some cases.

If you've ever bought a gun in the USA, you'll learn quickly that gun stores make little to no money on selling new guns, its all made in accessories. Margins are razor thin in many industries. Much like MS or Sony selling their hardware at a loss and making it up on game software.

I have very little sympathy for game companies when it comes to regional pricing anymore though. Thats the pain of living in a "global economy" especially with digital goods that you don't really own unless you go DRM free route. Nevermind the endless DLC/season pass games they all play to maximize profits.

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
9. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 9, 2019, 15:05 FloorPie

aka_STEVE wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 14:33:
did anyone notice the complete irony in the drivers ..?

Nivida announces these new drivers are optimal for Division 2 & boost performance.
- then in the actual pdf notes; they clearly state that the Division 2 still crashes on these drivers in DX12 .

OK, ...so now the game optimally crashes ???

you can't even make this shit up, at this point.

Wow, nvidia seems to have issues with that game engine/series in dx12. I seem to remember they had dx12 issues for months last year in Division1.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway
8. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 14:35 FloorPie

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 13:06:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:30:
It seemed like the weakest deals of any Steam Summer Sales I can recall.

I didn't know it was ending today... I knew I have Kingdom Come on the list for $18. When I went into the cart noticed I got $5 off because of their race thing where I picked Hare last week, who knows why. But it was good for $5 and then for $13.... made the last minute deal. Picked up PoeT2 and Kingmaker. Those three games should be played sometime in 2020 or 2021 and be good for a couple months of game time.

You got $5 off if you redeemed tokens earned by the race deal and some previous points from the lunar sale thing if you had them.

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
7. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 9, 2019, 14:32 FloorPie

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:43:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:27:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:20:
NO THANK YOU, I will be using the vastly superior AMD cards from now that AMD has completely crushed Nvidia's performance.

Is this a joke?

Maybe he likes 65db loud fan noises? Don't judge <3

As usual, wait for the custom cards. Price wise I'm not seeing any real big reason to go with the super cards unless you want rtx or prefer nvidia for the games you play.

News Comments > Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds
26. Re: Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds Jul 2, 2019, 20:43 FloorPie

Its what, 7 months now since Epic Store launched and no shopping cart functionality. At least they partnered with Humble and have about 10 of their games for sale on there.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup
33. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 17:49 FloorPie

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 16:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 14:34:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 10:47:
I've been holding onto my 980 Ti as my systems bottleneck for a couple years now.. Debating just doing a 2070S for now and then upgrading to the next 2180 or whatever it'll be called on release.
Sounds like a good plan. The 2070 will easily hold you over for a couple of years.
No, bad advice. Because 8 GB is already not enough and the next gen of consoles is around the corner.

Heh, not according to some hardware reviewers. The 2060 at $349 is supposedly enough for 1440p even with only 6gb of vram and 192bit bus. I mean its a fine card if you want to pay $349 for max 1080p settings for 2 years tops.

A lot of these prices ignore the custom AIB boards that have better cooling/quiet fans/ disco lights etc..

At best, these prices are what the rtx cards should have been on release. We'll see how prices flesh out in the next 3-6 months and what the Navi reviews are for AMD cards. I'm hoping prices drop but Nvidia has been arrogant asses on pricing for 5+ years now, even when they have competition. I figure on sticking with my 970 and rx 480 for awhile at this point.

News Comments > The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store
5. Re: The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store Jul 1, 2019, 14:31 FloorPie

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 11:57:
"HURRRR...I NOT BUY GAME ON BAD STORE! ME SMASH FACE ON KEYBOARD TO PROTES..dsl;kdjsf;lkjadsf;lkasdj;alsdf;dfs"

Hurr DUrR! Paradox angry, smash steam, praise EpIc!

https://www.pcgamer.com/former-paradox-interactive-ceo-calls-7030-revenue-split-outrageous/

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
181. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 30, 2019, 13:20 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 17:48:
Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 17:29:
Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 09:00:
Right now, the only real loss is "choice," which I don't think we ever really had with Steam (the choice was Steam or Steam), and hypothetical future losses, which we have no reason yet to assume will actually come true.

Except that you could buy Steam games pretty much everywhere. Other than during summer/winter sales, I never buy anything at Steam, I always buy it at GMG.

Can I still buy games for 25% off at GMG if they're exclusive at EGS? Nope. God, all these benefits I'm getting from Tim Sweeney & Crew, they're getting overwhelming. I should make a list!

Yeah, I know, I said that's one issue.
But you CAN buy EGS keys on Humble Bundle. It's a live feature, but it requires the publisher to work with these stores to provide keys. It isn't Epic holding them back. Borderlands 3 is for preorder on GMG right now. And here it is on the Humble Store. Most of the other games they carry are available on multiple platforms, but not listed on GMG for any (including Steam.)

I assume that, when this is solved for and publishers put EGS keys on these sites, it'll all be gravy and there will be no complaints. But from what I understand, neither publishers nor GMG are rushing for this, because it requires a site overhaul on GMG to let people pick which DRM they want, and the demand is currently so low that they're not interested in building it out. Similarly, publishers provide Steam keys to GMG, but aren't super excited to also create a process for EGS keys, since again, far less demand.

Meh, still no Satisfactory for sale on HB.

Also, shill.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 27, 2019, 15:28 FloorPie

"3. Don't be an idiot and buy games on release, be mad at yourself. "

Thats not very supportive of devs now! Buy those exclusives, buy those day one dlc's and season passes right away!

Don't for any reason wait 6-12 months to see how well a game pans out in support or even in advertised capabilities being true.

154. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 15:26 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 12:09:
Drayth wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 10:51:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 09:09:
Epic doesn't get the kid glove treatment just because they're a new player in the industry. Seems pretty rational to me. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed over what others do their money either.

Seriously. GoG does pretty much everything right, and how much discussion on them occurs on average? You don't see anyone feeling the need to grab a sword and shout from the castle walls every time they have a sale, or when something doesn't get released on their store. Point being, if evryone's more or less content with a service there's not a whole lot to discuss other than the occasional praise over a sweet deal, or legitimately interesting news.

But when Epic news causes a genuine stir there's a VERY vocal few who feel like they need to explain to you how your thinking is wrong and their crystal ball has told them that Epic checks out. They totally will stop starving the market if their competitor will just give in to their demands, that they themselves totally will be living by as well forever. And yeah they may have gotten rich off someone else's idea, fumble how to handle a seasonal sale, and are known to have a stressful workplace for the sake of constantly pumping out new content, but their tactics are totally altruistic, meant for the betterment of all gamers, swearzys. Throw all your money their way so they can keep starving the market.

It's not like a company that can literally throw tons of money to anyone willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them would also have the money to hire some of the best marketing people who could come up with tweets like this one. This is from the heart.

Oh and if their tactics of buying out all these indy games happens to kill off GoG, meh... at least we're sticking it to the evil Steam store, with it's dumb feature rich store front and earned market share.

Hopefully that's one of the main takeaways that people get from this: buy on Gog, FFS.

*Disclaimer: I buy everything I can on Gog, instead of any other platform.

Indeed, except I can't buy Genesis Alpha One and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on GoG, they sold out to Epic last winter.

73. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 19:21 FloorPie

"If you insist on only buying from Walmart, then you're a mafia wife to the biggest monopoly in PC gaming. "

Except I don't and yet I can't buy several single player games on GoG because they are Epic exclusives. No drm free for me or workshop support if it exists for a game. But yay competition or something. Epic's sale put Genesis Alpha Zero at $9.99 aka 66% off release price just a few months after release.

Maybe I don't care to be the beta tester for Epic's new software and crappy friends list with Satisfactory. There sure as hell is no benefit to buying any Ubisoft game on Epic apart from an occasional "we have it cheaper than anybody for a weekend" sale.

News Comments > Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve
14. Re: Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve Jun 25, 2019, 20:50 FloorPie

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:18:
Nullity wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:03:
Edit: Upon further thought, the issue might not be just Valve and WINE, but a large number of the games on Steam are probably 32-bit only. In those cases, Valve has no control over it, which makes their stance more sensible.

Here's the rub, however. It is Valve that requires developers to ship 32bit binaries because they, Valve, will not update their binaries to the 64bit equivalents. Squad (the studio behind KSP), for example, got around this by not using many of Valve's libraries and packing their own libraries that were 64bit.

Several Linux friendly developers have bluntly stated (paraphrasing) "We have 64bit binaries ready to ship. We can't on Steam but we can on GOG."

So if GOG can support a 64bit binary but Steam can't....where does the fault really lie?

That explains seeing some games with a 32bit and 64bit specific downloads.

News Comments > They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
18. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 14:54 FloorPie

I cant get motivated to try the campaign from what I've seen and read. Its one thing to have no saves, iron-man on survival mode of the game but to do the same for the campaign is just trying to extend the life of the game. Which makes little sense as the life of the game is going to be in the survival mode and mod support along with the weekly challenges stuff they have for the hardcore players who really are masochists looking for the challenge.

The tech tree limitations where you have to basically restart the whole campaign (no save scumming) if it turns out you made a bad choice is not in any way fun or hard. It is just tedious.

This is from someone who bought the game a year ago, has 20 hours in the surivial mode, no map wins and I still like that part of the game for when I'm in the mood for a rts challenge.

Right now, its worth $20 tops and really only if you want the survival mode and not the campaign.

News Comments > Kingdom New Lands Free on EGS
13. Re: Kingdom New Lands Free on EGS Jun 7, 2019, 20:07 FloorPie

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 15:48:
Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 13:49:
Pfft, this was already free on Steam.

Only Kingdom: Classic was ever given away for free by the publisher on Steam. Kingdom New Lands being a freebie is a first thanks to Epic.

No more fake news, please.

I'm not sure where I first got the 2 games but it was probably a humble bundle of some sort. GoG connect is probably where I got the two games for GoG for free and now Epic gave the sequel for free. Yay or something.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 2, 2019, 12:50 FloorPie

Simon Says wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 10:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 09:08:
Faster RTX 2060, RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 gpu's. That'll please early adopters.

Especially if the rumors of them being cheaper by 100$ is true...

I couldn't care less tho, the prospect of finally having a xx60 card at 250$'ish is way too appealing ( don't get me started on the 2030, 2050 and 2050ti, the so called "16xx"s ).

Not sure about the failure rates of Turing tho... I keep hearing/reading about nightmare reports about people using multiple ( 5+ ) 1080tis for heavy compute projects since its release with zero issues, then switching to 2080s/2080tis and having them all fail within months doing the same task as the 1080tis.

If that RX5700 "2070 perf" is released around 300$, I'd probably hit it instead and OC it to the max, twin 8 pins PCIE connectors and power usage be damned, power is the cheapest in NA, if not the world, around here, altho I'll probably regret it during the hot summer weeks, having no A/C, but it'll keep me warm in the harsh Canadian winters :P.

Nvidia seems to have gotten the bugs worked out on the early issues with the turing 2000 series chips, at least the 2070-2080-2080ti. The lower end models haven't had a big reports of "space invader" problems where the cards die randomly. Not that I would take the risk myself especially not if the rumors of upgraded chips at E3 is true. Many have been expecting it if AMD's Navi is that good.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
33. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 18:16 FloorPie

Saboth wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:32:

Also, there's a reason the Steam Sales are getting worse, and that's because they realized there's really no reason for massive discounts because they are the only game in town. And yes, while developers are the ones who decide discounts, I have no doubt Steam plays a role in "influencing" them, as these days, the old discounts of 90%, where you could get a game for $1 or $2 seem to be completely over.

So yeah, I do hope competitors do well, as that will force Steam to do better.

No, the sales are getting worse because the economy has changed (like credit card processing fee hikes) and publishers are trying to keep the value of their game higher for longer instead of letting their game hit $12 bundle status. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have AAA games that can drop 25-50% in a matter of 1-3 months (see Epic's subsidized sale price of Genesis Alpha One, $30 down to $10 3 months after release) these days. You were waiting for some rando deal on a game 1-2+ years old to get 90% off? Talk about greedy.

Steam instead of the silly flash sales which most smart customers would just wait till the end of the same to buy anything unless they caught the daily/flash sales now has static holiday sales and midweek/weekend sales and free weekend play. Those are your new flash sales.

As for the other silly pro Epic anti Steam arguments. Steam is at worst a monopoly on access except for big publishers who went on their own in the past 10 years. It has no monopoly on price as there are many 3rd party offically supported by devs/publishers that sell games on Steam. I've complained about many games that start only on Steam and/or have no 3rd party key sellers. That or the games are delayed for business/technical reasons and then months or a year or two later brought to places like GoG, drm free.

Epic with their strategy of exclusives to drive people to their store is anti-competition. Now many think that is the only way they stand a chance of surviving against Steam or at least carve out 30% or whatever number of the market. If that is the case, you don't insult gamers (no reviews, forums) and support your publishers bashing gamers for looking out for their own interests on price, security, longevity of the platform like MS GFWL's shut down mentioned earlier. Publishers/devs can look out for their own interests but not customers.

You don't open up a digital store that is so half-assed that you have no shopping cart. I don't like the store's lazy design or lack of organization for games/genres etc. but to have no shopping cart that you have to buy 1 game at a time? That is ripe for fraud protections going off getting people locked out of their credit cards or Epic itself doing that to customers in their first big sale. Toss in exclusivity with no 3rd party options (Humble doesn't count as its only something like 2-3 games they can sell so far) and its obvious why people don't like the Epic store.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 18:29.

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
49. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 19:12 FloorPie

Meh. TLDR:

A sale lasting almost a month with 4 or so free games is a bit telling on how well Epic is doing. I'd care less about the various problems of the Epic half assed store if there was price competition and exclusives that lasted no more than 6 months and few if any complaints about their security controls protecting your account and card info. I mean some of their exclusives make no sense to buy there, namely the ubisoft ones.

Of the two Epic only games I'm interested in, the prices are ok. Satisfactory is only $10 off and that really just covers the extra costs of using a prepaid visa card with admin fee. I suppose I could risk paypal. I sure as hell don't trust Epic's Store with my card for security reasons. I'm also only really considering that game because I had 50+ hours of time in the alpha test over 4 months.

Genesis Alpha One seems like a great deal at $9.89. Though that is a hefty discount after 4 or so months. Glad I didn't buy into that one. Gotta get more people buying I guess. That is single player only and from let's play/streaming impressions it still needs some work. I'd much rather buy it DRM free on GOG than even steam. Steam would only be worth it if it has workshop/mod support. Epic? Hah. Only if truly desperate to play it and the 66% discount.

The new Subnautica stand alone game in EA is 9.99 which was the standard sale price for the orignal game for years during steam sales. No real benefit there other than you don't have to wait another 5 weeks for Steam's summer sale.

Also, I guess Rime is a good game but it never really interested me. I've also had the ps4 copy for free since last year via PS Plus and free on GOG for 6 months? I honestly forget when I got it for free there. But yay, more free games I likely won't play.

I wonder what has happened to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. I thought they were due to release in early winter this year.

News Comments > Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced
12. Re: Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced May 15, 2019, 22:25 FloorPie

MisterBenn wrote on May 15, 2019, 09:39:
I must confess I left Stellaris behind too after the Megacorp release. It was a culmination of several issues. The game is still not feature complete 3 years after release (still no intelligence layer.) The diplomacy has plenty of features but the AI barely participates, other than to just set diplomatic status according to its like/dislike score. The gameplay systems seem overly restrictive (forced end war, can only declare on certain people, and so on) which leads to a gamey feel that I didn't expect from a sandpit style game with huge galaxies. There are too many abstract resources to balance that add to the gamey feeling. The DLC have added additional playstyles but in effect they have added multiple ways to do things with a lot of overlap, that seems to have bloated the feature list without really enriching the strategies you can get involved with.

The DLC policy has contributed to a feeling that Stellaris has been an ever-changing beast... the game is designed a certain way, it settles down, some nice mods appear on top and it feels pretty stable. Then a major update comes out, the mods don't work, some central game functions are completely reworked, many critical functions and gui items cease working, and everything feels like it's regressed for a few weeks while official patches and mods scramble to become stable again. It seemed ridiculous to me that for significant periods of time after release, major parts of the game were not working at all. Or like with the megacorp release, the AI was completely non-functional for weeks after release. You've gotta have a lot of faith in the game to overlook things like that and trust that it will eventually get there - for me though I just felt that this was unacceptable for a released game. There are definitely some positives to the Paradox/Stellaris business model... some of the reworked mechanics are clear improvements to original versions. But I have ended up disillusioned where things feel too much like they are engineered to keep customers in the pocket, paying for updates for the life of the game.

Much as that was a bit of a rant, there's a lot to like in the game. It clearly has the best space 4x flavour around imo, with nods to pretty much any sci-fi book/TV/film that you happen to love. If somehow you are into multiplayer then the Stellaris engine is great for that. I know the game makes a lot of people happy - I think you have to be the type of player that will happily accept the mechanics and the dev cycle the way they are, and be in it to enjoy the ride.

Edit: oh - check out the Starnet AI mod. It's a rework for the AI players that makes them a lot more like a multiplayer game (emphasis on military techs, maintain large fleets and swallow up weaker neighbours with no remorse.) Several people have said this AI is genuinely a big threat. No idea as to the status of the mod with regards to the latest DLC that came out, but the prospect of AI players that can actually kick your ass is pretty inviting.

A good rant that I completely agree with. I'd forgotten about the forced end to wars. The game is pretty UI wise and has lots of charm with the story stuff. Early game was often enjoyable exploring the galaxy but I would lose interest by the mid game.

My rule for Stellaris for the past two years has been once you start a game, finish it within 2-4 weeks otherwise there will be a patch that will bork your game save and I gave up on using mods that weren't just cosmetic.

458 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo