Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for FloorPie

Real Name FloorPie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description junk and like..stuff
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 08:32
Total Comments 515 (Apprentice)
User ID 19464

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Increased Player Count Experiment

95. Re: Star Citizen Increased Player Count Experiment Jan 15, 2020, 02:53 FloorPie

NasWulf wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 12:04:
Drayth wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 11:52:
SC is un-rleased, un-launched, un-ready for prime time.

Lets put it this way, on launch day it was perfectly fair to write a formal game review for WoW.

Would you say it's time for PC Gamer to go and give SC a review rating? If you counter this I'm probably not going to bother arguing back. You can't compare the two in terms of state of release.

You're right, they could and they did. But you could argue that they could also continue to do reviews of the base game until it's finished/out of content. Would the 2004 review of WoW launch be valid for today's WoW? No, it would not because of how much the base game has changed since then.

Not saying your wrong, never did. Some reason you think I'm "defending SC" for some reason, which I think is hilarious. I just asked a question on what jdreyer felt as a defined finished product.

And yes, they could do a review and others have/do of SC. No one is stopping anyone and especially true of forums like this one.

Also, you can't say a product is finished by the state of the release, Ubisoft proves that ever time they release a game.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 14:56:
"I reject reality and substitute my own." Blizzard considered WoW finished in 2004. The players considered it finished. Only you don't consider it finished.

No one knew in 2004 what WoW would become and what it would change in teams of future game development. So ya, back in 2004 it was considered a finished product until they continue to develop it for 15 more years and changing the base game making it a perpetually unfinished product.

As a long time WoW player I really don't know how to respond to this. WoW is at this point a game with effectively 2-3 sequels depending on how you break down its game design and thats with being pretty specific within the mmorpg genre. The game is finished as it were with each expansion and then they redsign something and make it worse or sometimes better. At the very least you get the last 6+ months of a mostly stable gameplay rules/balance time each expansion.

SC is now two games instead of one and still effectively in alpha 8 years after announcement. For pete's sake, I got a free copy I forgot to claim back in November of 2014 with a R9 290 graphics card.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

85. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 19:39 FloorPie

Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:25:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 17:56:
[rest snipped]
Once again, no one really cares enough about epic to charge them. Crimes happen all the time and people aren't charged. One example in the US is our, ineptly incompetent idiotic holy supreme leader. Mwahaha

Maybe you see it as a contest and epic as a threat or challenge. Personally I don't think of 'threat' when I think of epic, actually I pretty much laugh. Giggle

Like spreading the smallest amount of butter over a largest slice of half-baked Sourdough sans scrambled eggs and bacon and calling that a quality breakfast. Epic is never going to defeat the established platforms.

More free half-baked breakfasts I won't play for another year. Yay. More fun arguments with people who still think Epic is offering competition. I mean they did get me to spend $25 on two games finally.

Also, bragging about how Epic's competition has gotten a new Steam UI, that hasn't gone over too well especially since it was a buggy mess on launch after months of beta testers telling them so. Valve pulled an Epic and on top of that forced everyone to see news tiles in their game libraries.

News Comments > Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign

26. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 7, 2020, 18:14 FloorPie

I'll take unions seriously when they aren't run by people who support a political party that has helped move their jobs overseas. Both polticial parties in the USA sold out the workers/people with things like NAFTA and all the free trade nonsense.

I'll also not laugh in their faces when they talk about the right to unionize or the freedom to assemble guaranteed by the first amendment when you don't have state laws requiring someone join a union for a job and that the union dues get auto deducted from paychecks. Yeah, I'm sure that kid bagging groceries really needs a union run by a bunch of goons 500+ miles away to look out for his best interests. I'm totally sure those school teachers who don't agree with union politics are best served by that union on wages.

You get contractors for jobs that shouldn't need them when you have an endless litany of workers rights laws that mean you have to cater to every weirdo or wacko out there because if you straight up fire them for incompetence or worse, you'll end up with a lawsuit costing even more money. Its just more offshoring to avoid dealing with the paperwork and lawsuit nonsense.

PS

Ross Perot was right about that giant sucking sound. But unions will like totally save us! They care about the workers! Like how the government cares, as in they don't.

News Comments > Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free

50. Re: Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free Jan 3, 2020, 18:53 FloorPie

MattyC wrote on Jan 2, 2020, 19:47:
Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2020, 09:22:
Valve was breaking new ground when they launched Steam and thus there was no model to follow. They were basically making things up as they went along and fighting whatever fires popped up as they came.

I would think that goes both ways. Steam had no competition and thus nothing to compare it with. We knew it was a complete shit show, but there was nothing to point and say "why didn't they do it like <X>." Steam in 2004 was a large soft opening for Valve. It wasn't a sales platform yet. It was just a buggy mess, forced on people to not just get HL2, but to continue to play HL1. It didn't become a real digital storefront right away.

At any rate, Steam did have issues on things that you could compare. We had server browsers, chat clients, and friend trackers. They worked, but Steam's sure didn't. It didn't just not work at launch either, it didn't work for years.

Steam is my preferred store and I can't see that changing anytime soon. People do, however, need to take off the coke bottle rose tints they seem to don whenever they look Steam's way.

If I ignored Steam and hated on it from the start until 7 years later, what makes you think I'll excuse away Epic's problems? Its current year bro, not 2003.

Out the door they're insulting their customers as toxic gamers and saying their real customers are the game devs/publishers. You've just opened up a new middle man digital retail store, pop quiz hot shot, what do you do? You don't insult your actual customers and call your suppliers your only real customers. Its not 2003 or 1994. I don't even need forums or reviews or silly achievements. Cloud saves and a shopping cart might be nice though. Not some slapdash, hope the mutliplayer integration works, no customer support, download games multiple times until they just let you download it on uplay and run it from there only, one game at a time work in progress insanity. All along with exclusive access (sometimes 2 weeks in advance of launch) and a price monopoly.

They're lucky they've got me for 2 games, a total of $25 spent.

News Comments > Op Ed

4. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2020, 17:15 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2020, 10:48:
Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2020, 09:43:
At this stage it seems that this really is an unfixable problem.

I'm guessing that, in our lifetimes, we lose anonymity on the internet. Many younger people don't seem to care, which is notable when it backfires on them, but it seems the only solution, and I think people will choose to solve the problem instead of letting it lay.

It will squelch the problem by forbidding any unsavory speech, defined by governments and cat/church ladies. That will lead to private networks cropping up and I'm sure the nice calm fluffy mainstream internet will hue and moan, calling for the doxing and arresting of anyone on Darknet2, DN2.5, NaughtyThoughtsNet, UnPCPalace etc..

News Comments > Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free

17. Re: Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free Jan 2, 2020, 03:41 FloorPie

Yay, games I've already had on steam and not played for years. Steep was already free on Uplay a few months ago. I'm fairly sure I got a darksiders game and steep for "free" on PS+ in the last 2 years too.

But hey, free games for those who don't already have them.

News Comments > Get FTL: Faster Than Light for Free

5. Re: Get FTL: Faster Than Light for Free Dec 26, 2019, 12:38 FloorPie

I think this would be the 4th or 5th store I have this game on. DRM free originally I think from the devs site. Then Steam and GoG. Humble store drm free too I think and now Tim Sweeny's Epic Game Store.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2019, 19:27 FloorPie

Merry Christmas Blue n' crew!  

News Comments > Get APE OUT for Free

21. Re: Get APE OUT for Free Dec 23, 2019, 16:52 FloorPie

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2019, 15:09:
Now I'm singing Ape Out to Swing Out Sister's 80's hit Break Out.

Hadn't heard or thought about that tune in years. I had Chic's Le Freak playing in my head. Freak out! Ape Out!

Edit: I wouldn't bother with RDR2 on Epic because it requires Rockstar launcher and it was cheaper through 3rd party sources during black friday sales. Only reason I would buy through Steam is to have the Steam community/friends features. Not that compelling either way to me these days for many games.

News Comments > Get Little Inferno for Free

12. Re: Get Little Inferno for Free Dec 23, 2019, 01:24 FloorPie

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 22, 2019, 20:42:
I can't. I won't. I shouldn't. I'll never forget. I'll never forgive. I'll always remember.

Oooh, did you say I could save a dollar.
Folds like a deck of cards. Posturing and posing.

Hey, if they want to subsidize and people want to buy it cheap, so what? I thought life was short and that its not a big deal to buy from multiple stores?

Ironically, this is all about maintaining high average prices and carving out a piece of the market. At the expense of customers via access monopolies. It took epic months to start offering up some of their games elsewhere and the prices are usually all the same. Borderlands 3 price competition is one of the exceptions and it only has a 6 month exclusive anyway.

I've held no animosity for people who bought just so long as I didn't get crap for not buying or pointing out the flaws, insults and incompetence.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans

31. Re: Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans Dec 20, 2019, 16:57 FloorPie

While a wishlist would be nice, I think I care more about forums for tech support questions on games than reviews. Still lacking a shopping cart for a digital retail store sort of says it all in terms of sloppiness or rush job to get into the market while the fortnite iron is hot.

Do note that the $10 coupon is back for their sale and that it lasts until May 1st 2020. So, click that claim button to save the coupon for the next 5 months.

It looks like I will be getting Satisfactory (the alpha has been hilariously closed yet still works for SP for 9 months now) as its on sale for effectively $17 and maybe MW5. Probably wait on that one though. The devs there really have been sleazy. Game looks decent enough and fun co-op. Part of that is just the pent up demand for a good Mechwarrior game that isn't MWO.

To the two devs of RGO and GAO, cya next year on steam or preferably GoG. If I remember and the prices are about 50% off launch MSRP. Borderlands should be interesting when it hits steam, price wise and popularity. It seems to have died in terms of online attention early on. To me it was always wait for the gold edition with the dlc on sale though.

News Comments > First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending

12. Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 9, 2019, 21:11 FloorPie

I'm surprised its at 20% off for the new launch on Steam and GoG. I figured like most games it would be 10% and then maybe 30% at the Christmas sales in 1-2 weeks.

As for the game not being 50% off after a year, many of these are still early acess titles, funded for a year by Epic. No reason for them to drop prices on the new stores for another 3-6 months.

Its all a game by the games industry to keep the average retail price up. Same thing with dropping the base game's price down 50%+ but not the season pass. Unless you buy the Gold edition with all the content.

News Comments > New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews

10. Re: New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews Nov 25, 2019, 16:55 FloorPie

mirthy wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 13:57:
Most games don't thread that well do they? All those extra cores can't be taken adv of today can it?

Older games no, 4 cores is probably fine. Newer, yes. I would not buy a chip that is less than 6cores/12threads (amd 3600) for gaming today. The no hyperthreading i5 and now i7 9700k chips will not hold up for very long and in some games with denuvo type drm schemes it hurts performance.

The new consumer intel chips are reported to have hyperthreading again in i7 and all i5's as well. When will Intel release those, I dunno. Probably by mid next year.

Intel has two compelling products in consumer land right now, the 9700k and the 9900k. Both are very much overpriced. The 9700k at $275-299 on sale is tolerable but as I said earlier, buying an i5 without hyperthreading years ago taught me that you're going to want hyperthreading, especially now. 6 years ago it wasn't as big a deal. Look at the numbers for a ryzen 1600 vs a 7600k after two years. Hardware Unboxed did a good video on it a few months ago.

News Comments > Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks

18. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 16:47 FloorPie

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 21:44:
Noice. I hope that flaming dumbfuck gets sentenced to pay AT LEAST the full sum and that Epic will donate the monies to charity for mentally handicapped attention whores.

Twitch thots hardly need more money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 18:16 FloorPie

Congrats on the design update. Looks good and a better job than Steam did recently.  

News Comments > Steam Cloud Gaming Plans?

15. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 17:26 FloorPie

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:51:
STEAM can't even keep their store online , much less fully stream the games to all of it's customers....
Publishers may love this idea & locking it all down , but unless we get a vastly improved national broadband upgrade & power grid - this cloud based gaming will be crap to use/ play on for a long time.
They'll never be able to keep the paying customer base ....

Steam can't even code their new game library UI decently.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC

43. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 18:52 FloorPie

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 16:17:
Apparently some people with i5s are having a lot of issues with freezing and stuttering. It was good of Rockstar to not bother testing with such an unpopular CPU

I'm having smooth butter performance at 1440p with a 1080ti and a 3900X, huge upgrade from the console experience.

Well, Rockstar is not known for lean and mean code. Do we know if it has Denuvo DRM? That hates anything less than 6core/12thread cpus. Older i5's are 4c/4t or 6c/6t.

Its rather amusing that Nvidia recommends a rtx 2060 for 1080p 60fps on high settings.

Edit: Ok, looking at the performance graphics linked above, the game is just a gpu power hog. 1080p mostly ultra settings gets you 80fps on a 2080ti.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Revamps Storefront; Adds Wishlists to Their Wishlist

8. Re: Epic Games Store Revamps Storefront; Adds Wishlists to Their Wishlist Nov 1, 2019, 04:01 FloorPie

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 21:43:
roguebanshee wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 21:23:
Naw, the Steam Library UI patch pushed them past Steam in usability.
ouch

Its true. The worst part is they actually let it go out of beta while being a memory hog and that it can't properly draw the library screen on many people's systems, including my own. It takes 5-10 seconds now to load the library page and I have to move my mouse around to get it to draw the screen faster. All for a bunch of portrait shaped icons, a unremovable "whats new" row of game info I probably don't need. All games are listed on the left side in small font no matter what and clicking on one brings up the old game page with news/links.

Gone is the ability to minimize that if I don't want/need it. As said above by MB, its UI designers ignoring function to make something new and supposedly pretty.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program

34. Re: Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program Oct 24, 2019, 02:10 FloorPie

Task wrote on Oct 23, 2019, 20:19:
It's a GaaS game, were people expecting dedicated server tools?

Yes, like almost every other survival type game.

I thank Bethesda for the great laugh today though.

News Comments > Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed

10. Re: Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed Oct 21, 2019, 02:02 FloorPie

"I suppose the issue is, I don't consider it price gouging. The $40 base game was a full game in it's own right."

Except when it isn't. Take two games Paradox published last year, Surviving Mars and Battletech. $40 games that dropped to $20 or less during sales with year one dlc that costs more than the base game. It has been $1 cheaper to rebuy Surviving Mar's Gold version for months now when the game is on sale. A game that was just given away for free on Epic store.

Paradox just announced a new game that will be exclusive to Epic store. If Paradox tries their standard dlc tactics there with no frequent sales or price competition, I doubt the game will do well.

515 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >