Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Reactor

Real Name Reactor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Reactor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 15, 2003, 10:47
Total Comments 780 (Graduate)
User ID 19395

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > More Mac Steam Games
5. Re: More Mac Steam Games May 21, 2010, 02:12 Reactor

Indeed, to this day I struggle to understand how that can not annoy someone.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Mac Steam Games
3. Re: More Mac Steam Games May 20, 2010, 02:32 Reactor

I know designers who drink Apple's juice all the time.

Ah yes, designers. I am one, and happy to be PC based. But most of the industry (especially when it comes to web design) think the only computer you can design something on is a Mac.

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
9. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 11:11 Reactor

Another brilliant idea on the never ending pile of stupid ideas that ruin gaming. Ah well.  

News Comments > Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game
45. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 19, 2010, 09:45 Reactor

Anyone that answers Blue back should have their posts deleted.  

News Comments > Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game
12. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 11:29 Reactor

One of the teens at my church does this, basically.

You don't strike me as a church guy, Creston.

News Comments > Max Payne 2 Steam Follow-up
16. Re: Max Payne 2 Steam Follow-up May 13, 2010, 05:17 Reactor

Maybe I should ask a pirate to fix GTA4, that's still completely unplayable after the latest patch broke it.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 5, 2010, 02:34 Reactor

It was the first FPS where you could kill people sitting next to you on the couch.

True, but it was still a terrible game. The acclaim it receives now as a breakthrough gaming masterpiece is just rubbish.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2010, 06:19 Reactor

All signs point to Nintendo introducing a new black Wii console in May, and a poster leak from GameStop all but confirms most of the rumors we've heard.

The black wii has been out here in Australia for some time now. I guess the bundle might be different, though.... but still, a black wii is no surprise.

News Comments > Blood on GOG.com
34. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 26, 2010, 07:07 Reactor

I don't see why you wouldn't want to explain your opinions when that's the whole point.

I just gave you a bunch of reasons.

When making bold statements like these, you need to explain them. You can't just say "oh, it's the x-factor!" or "explaining myself is a waste of time."

Gosh, can't I?

That just irritates me to no end.

I'm sure you'll get over it in time.

If you don't have five minutes to spare, why are you writing any comments at all? You should be too busy for that.

Well, I am a little like you. I also get irritated when people don't back things up. But (as mentioned) the issue isn't just time, and time on its own. It's about me jumping through your little hoops until you're satisfied that all is concluded and I can finally go home after staying back in class.

That's what I don't have time for. Life has moved on past this little post in the archives of Blue's, and we've all said our bits about this topic. Some things are concluded, some aren't. That's life. Perhaps this topic will come up again and I can take some time out with a willing and genuine desire to investigate something unimportant that I don't fully know how to put into words.

Until then, I hope you understand. If not, then I'll see you at the next discussion where you'll no doubt try and rip into me for no apparent reason. Party on dude.

32. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 24, 2010, 05:57 Reactor

You should be able to list at least a few of these little things. After all, these are the things that stood out to you and made Blood a classic to you.

I already said I could. I just don't want to, because that'll take time and you'll no doubt want to chat about them too.

Apparently the x-factor can't be understood at all because you can't even begin to explain it.

See above.

However, if you're going to dispute the classic status of another game (in this case, NOLF), you need to have a more compelling argument than "but... but... the x-factor!"

I don't believe I was arguing against the classic (also legend was mentioned) status of NOLF by talking about the x-factor of Blood's gameplay. Didn't I say I thought my opinion on the classic status of NOLF might just be me?

Same thing applies when you try to dispute that Blood wasn't essentially the same game as Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior.

Did I mention that? Are you reading your own posts as mine? Just speaking of Shadow Warrior, I don't recall mentioning that at all.

Anyway, this is very quickly degenerating (degenerated already actually) into just what I thought it would- a big fat waste of time. If you have cash in hand and would like to pay me for an analysis of the x-factor of Blood's gameplay, then let's keep on going. Otherwise, let's move on with our lives and enjoy that we both have differing opinions which can be accepted as such, without the need to submit an invincibly detailed defensive explanation upon request.

30. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 24, 2010, 04:17 Reactor

Care to elaborate on these huge differences?

I said there were huge differences? I thought I said it came down to an x-factor of the gameplay (which includes a lot of little things).

I thought we were talking about the precision and feel of movement?

You were? What you listed below is much more than the precision and feel of movement. You were talking about things like being able to looking up and down or jump really high. Now you're talking about level design and weapon effects.

Please, explain this mystical x-factor. It must be quantifiable to some degree. Was Blood faster than any other shooter at the time? Did it have the most responsive controls?

You know, if the x-factor of the gameplay can be boiled down to, "It's a lot faster." it's not really an x-factor. The x-factor of Blood's gameplay is, I'm sure, down to a lot of little things. I realise 'x-factor' is a bit of a silly term, but it's just a way of saying it's something I can't put my finger on. If I had all day I could try and list everything it could be down to, but that would be a waste of my time, and something that you'd no doubt want quantified as well. And at the end of it, the x-factor would no doubt still remain poorly understood.

If you're going to argue a point, at least provide some sort of thoughtful explanation beyond "you don't get it."

Didn't I just say it's not worth arguing the point?

Videos for comparison:

Nice videos, but I don't see how you're going to understand the x-factor of the gameplay by looking at someone else playing the game.

27. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 11:56 Reactor

Heh, well... if memory serves me correctly it wasn't actually that bad...  

22. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 05:19 Reactor

...they all feel pretty much the same in terms of gameplay.

No, they don't.

Have you ever played Quake or Tribes? They offer a range of mobility that the 2.5D games couldn't even compare to.

You're talking about something completely different to me.

I think it's because they liked the unique atmosphere and style of Blood more than anything else

I think you're wrong, and I'm in a good position to say so as someone that's followed what the rabid Blood fans have been dreaming up for years. It certainly isn't the atmosphere that's the first thing they want to capture. For the guys after the source code, they just want the graphics updated, because they know that the x-factor of the gameplay (you know, the thing you haven't noticed) can't actually be reproduced, since what makes it great is a lot more than being able to look up and down or jump really high up in the air.

On a side note, I'm glad you posted a video to Quake 3. That's another game with a certain x-factor to the gameplay, and was the first fps game I played which actually got pretty close to the level of control you had in Blood.

Anyway, blah blah blah. If you don't get it, don't worry. I doubt a debate will conclude the matter.

19. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 03:41 Reactor

NOLF played better than Blood? Now you're just being strange. Blood both feels and plays better than pretty much every fps that has come after it. Everything else just feels wooden and uncontrollable. There's a reason people have been trying both to the get the game working and remake it for years now (along with trying to get the source code), and it's not because of nostalgia.

When people try the same thing for NOLF I'll think about calling it a legend. Until then, it's just a really great game we all enjoy. If anything is a legend, it's Outcast.

15. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 02:35 Reactor

That doesn't make it a classic. That just makes it funny.  

13. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 02:18 Reactor

Don't get me wrong, I loved NOLF too. Multiplayer + indoor snowmobiles is an alltime fave. But, I'm not so sure the game could be said to be a true legend. I don't know why- maybe it's just me.  

10. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 01:44 Reactor

.seriously, I sometimes think that you guys cherish certain games just for the fact that they're old, not available and not played

Sometimes I'm sure people do. Sometimes, games like Outcast and Blood and just really fun to play through again.

Blood, IMO, was broken and confusing, especially considering it's competition at the time.

I have zero idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like you're confusing the original Blood with Blood 2, which was broken and using the same engine as Shogo and NOLF. Blood was one of those 'pixelated pieces of crap'.

Now, that, I consider a bonifide classic, hands down, no argument.

NOLF was a great game, but it was so far from a bonifide classic or true legend it wasn't even funny.

My advice: stay off the hard drugs.

7. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 23, 2010, 01:05 Reactor

They had separate teams working on Blood 2 and Shogo. The Blood 2 team was unfortunately a little green, and the game used a really early version of the Lithtech engine (so there were a lot of tech teething problems)

They really should have put their best guys on it, considering how much of a classic Blood was by that stage.

4. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 22, 2010, 23:09 Reactor

Fair enough then.

I have my two purchases, and am very happy

2. Re: Blood on GOG.com Apr 22, 2010, 22:53 Reactor

Not more importantly! Blood is an amazing game.

That said, yes, Outcast is awesome too.

780 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo