Descending
Limit Results:

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ] Older

Re: Reloading and Ammo
Nov 24, 2003, 17:40
Re: Reloading and Ammo Nov 24, 2003, 17:40
Nov 24, 2003, 17:40

Doesn't the Jedi Knight series use the same setups for rifles?

I think it's a victim of the streamlined inventory approach. There's nowhere to control ammo in the current inventory screen, hence there's no real ammo types, hence no distinction between ammo ammounts/loads/clips, hence no reloading.

Which I don't even think you can blame the XBox for, plenty of console games have RPG inventory screens with the versatility to allow any of the above.

The only user experience excuse you can give is "so people don't have to worry about it". Also, if this one goes like the other one did, it might be hard to determine what weapons people are using by the end of the game. But even that seems like it could have been solved (ammo rooms like the first game) without cutting this subsection.

Re: Re-newing my Preorder
Nov 24, 2003, 16:58
Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 16:58
Nov 24, 2003, 16:58

So in real-world terms, according to your argument, I could say something like "I have three pistols that all fire 9mm ammunition. Because they use the same type of ammo, I can fire one of these pistols endlessly without reloading.

No, it's more along the lines of "if I had some magic clip that can be used in a pistol, a shotgun, a flamethrower and a sniper rifle, it makes just as much sense that it's all one clip that doesn't have to be swapped out."

All your "clips" go into the same pool, despite what the HUD might be telling you. All weapons use the same ammo, they just fire at different rates - that's what the game says. If they're going to pull something like that, why are you expecting them to add reloading for ... realism? That's absurd.

You want reloading just for reloading sake at this point. If it added so much complexity, depth and enjoyment to your game just count your shots. Every five shots, stop firing and yell "RELOAD" really loud. Now continue firing. You just implemented reloading into the game without coding a single line.

Re: a few points
Nov 24, 2003, 15:19
Re: a few points Nov 24, 2003, 15:19
Nov 24, 2003, 15:19

If there are clips, they need to take time to reload.

Follow me slowly. There's no real clip system. There's this unified ammo setup. There are no clips to reload and therefore no reloading. If there were clips of different ammo for different guns, then maybe a reload system would make sense. If they're going to throw down a silly design idea like this, they might as well spare us from reloading too.

From the first day they were saying that the player could take any approach to this game that he/she wanted - not allowing them to do this drastically affects the open endedness of everything.

Killing everyone in the bar wouldn't create any new options for solving the mission, and if anything would eliminate the possibility of finishing it. If you want that option, take the flamethrower and set yourself on fire. Look, gee, it's open ended again.

You seem to be nothing but a fanboy with blind allegiance to ION Storm. This game was obviously made for the console and very little consideration was made for the PC. That's an insult.

There are things about the demo I don't like, and I've mentioned them, so I'm hardly a fanboy. I'm just willing to look past some questionable design changes and see that the core of DX is still there. Most people here seem too hung up on the differences to care about any of the similarities.

Re: a few points
Nov 24, 2003, 14:28
Re: a few points Nov 24, 2003, 14:28
Nov 24, 2003, 14:28

They're just somehow fed into your weapon automatically

And it takes no time for them to do so. Hence reloading = useless.

It completely contradicts their gameplay philosophy and doesn't make any sense fictionally.

Not letting you kill people in a bar doesn't break their gameplay philosophy one bit - it just shows that you are in an area about dialogue, not action. They could have just not let you pull out any weapons, or ended the game if you killed sid, or had cops appear from nowhere, or any other construct that would also "not make any sense fictionally". Lots of games pull things like this, it's hardly a bug. And any of those options, people would probably still be bitching about it. They had to pick some lame construct, this is as good as any.

Yea it is.

No it's not. If people tried to learn it instead of bitching about how "console" it is, they'd get it pretty quickly. I got used to the setup quicker than some other games and once I did there was little in the game that wasn't a breeze to do - inventory control, selection, etc. The only thing that's a real pain in the ass is weapon modding, and even that's easy after the first time you do it.

a few points
Nov 24, 2003, 10:13
a few points Nov 24, 2003, 10:13
Nov 24, 2003, 10:13

but even if they expect us to buy that, why is there no reloading?

Because there are no clips. Without clips, reloading makes no sense.

No, it doesn't affect gameplay, but I still think it's dumb. Lockpicks and multitools are different items and they don't do the same thing.

It's a world full of nanobots, greasels and a leech drone that can break down tissue to regenerate you, but some how the sonic screwdriver is a stretch for you? This is a welcome change I think.

In the first game if you got your legs shot up you couldn't walk right, or if your arm was damaged your accuracy was decreased. This was cool.

Actually, I always thought this was a neat idea horribly done. Getting your legs blown off in the first game was a gimmick, made little sense and generally just got you killed anyway. It would have been nice to have seen someone do the Action Quake model correctly, but I'd rather just not have it all than the way it was before.

The bar broadcasts a code which turns off all of your weapons... including your knife and baton. Huh?

This has to be the most annoying complaint I've heard. Gimme a break. So you can't go stabbing people in a bar, at least they've tried to give some explanation for it.

Poor facial animation/lipsynch. The NPCs will keep talking/waving their hands after they're done speaking, and many of them will repeat the same lines over and over. In my last playthrough, *every* time I walked by that one guy in the bar he'd say that line about "They'll always need us for the dirty work. Like my brother who blah blah blah..."

It's better than it was in the first and at least par for games of this day. If this really annoys someone, I don't see how they could have liked the original.

Wonderful lighting effect and physics engine. But somehow it doesn't translate into gameplay, just eye-candy.

Maybe you should try using the physics to accomplish something. There's at least two places in the demo you can get past something by creating a new block wall.

Unimpressive A.I.

Yes.

And out of all the complaints I think this is the one people should be up in arms about. And it rarely makes people's list. The interface isn't nearly as bad as people are raving about, the graphics are fine and you can probably guess that they'll improve the performance and compatibility for the last build. They might even toss in new textures and some new features like localized damage.

But you can bet they won't update this AI. It was forgivable in DX1 because nobody was really doing AI better - but it seems like they could have stopped you from harrasing bartenders with barrels (not even AI- just cordone off the bar) or running right up to a guard with a shock prod or gun without him taking an aggressive stance. If anything, the AI is -worse- than it was in DX1, and you can't blame the XBox on that one.

Having played the demo through three or four times now, this is the only thing that I think will still annoy me in the final game.

Re: Location Damage
Nov 23, 2003, 02:21
Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 02:21
Nov 23, 2003, 02:21

"But according to you (and everyone else) there aren't head shots in the game"

Locational damage and head shots can be different things, as UT and DX1 showed. The way head shots are calculated generally from the 4xx builds of the Unreal engine are a lot different than what someone would consider "locational damage", and only pertain to certain weapons and damage, like sniper damage. IOW, nobody said there weren't head shots.

"I've never seen anyone actually contradict themselves in a reply and yet act as if they proved their point."

Well, I've seen lots of people try to make points without knowing all the facts. Don't feel bad, it's quite common.

"Don't ever join your school's debate club. Very bad form."

Undefeated actually. But it was a small school.

Re: OMG!
Nov 23, 2003, 01:17
Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:17
Nov 23, 2003, 01:17

"You couldn't be more wrong IMHO. Locational damage is an essential attribute to modern FPS gaming. It's like comparing square wheels to round wheels, once you use it you will never go back to the old way."

Those thousands of people playing UT, UT2003, and Quake3 as I type this must just be insane then.

Re: Location Damage
Nov 23, 2003, 01:16
Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 01:16
Nov 23, 2003, 01:16

"The bottom line here is this: One of the most used techniques I employed in the first Deus Ex was finding a safe, high-altitude spot and picking off MJ12 commandos with sniper rifle head shots. Heck, I fondly remember beating the troops outside the statue of liberty in the first level by walking up behind them in the shadows and just aiming point blank at their head. "

There's nothing in the demo to suggest that a sniper rifle wouldn't have head shots in the game, now is there?

Nov 23, 2003, 00:36
Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:36
Nov 23, 2003, 00:36

"Lame explanation. The reason every other FPS has locational damage is because it greatly enhances the game. C'mon... this is 2003 for God's sake. If I walk up to somebody in DX:IW and put a burst of 9mm fire into the face and through their brain-pan with my Mako pistol, I expect them to die. Not whip out their own gun and return fire. "

Yeah. And not every FPS coming out in 2003 has locational damage. Not of all them need it or benefit from it. Greatly enhances the game? Nah, not always. Depends on the kind of action you're going for. Or maybe getting headshots from a mile away with a shotgun was your thing in Counter-Strike back in the day.

"Right now, it appears that no matter where I place my shots, it's the same. And that's silly. Why should hits "right between the eyes" have the same effect as a burst into a enemy's re-enforced metal main body armor breastplate? (If they were wearing a helmet with an enclosed face shield, I can understand it.) "

Maybe because it's a game and not every game bases it's action on where you place your shots.

"And, lord, you have no idea how much that "Unified Ammo" concept bugs me. It feels like a Xbox "shortcut" to make the game easier to play."

Strange, I wouldn't even had noticed it from the demo if it weren't for all these people bitching about it. My guess is a lot of people will have the same reaction from the full game too. Ammo? Who the hell cares about the "kid in the candy store" about ammo? It's the guns the matter. Gee, that rocket launcher would be neat if it weren't for this universal ammo thing ???

People who are complaining about performance and compatibility issues, I can sympathize with. It sucks and it's annoying, and it's hard to have faith in buying a game when the demo doesn't have the technical chops.

People bitching that it's using 512x512 textures instead of 1024x1024, or that the models are 2500 polys instead of 4000, or this whole "the XBox sucks" vein, I don't buy it. Obviously ignoring what was great in the original and what might very well be alive in this game.

Nov 23, 2003, 00:26
Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:26
Nov 23, 2003, 00:26

"The basic low-res, xBox-ish character is prevalent through the game. The models indicate clearly that attention was paid to reduce their polygon count--another concession to the xBox environment. These things *could have been fixed* for the PC version, but were ignored as if they didn't matter. I'll conclude by saying the demo doesn't compare graphically with the other games I'm running at the moment--of which Call of Duty is one of several"

All of these, I think comparable to UT2003's specs, hardly low poly or low res, and certainly no worse than ToEE. In fact, several improvements have been made over the build release for UT2003, but I guess that's no longer a "modern" engine to your eyes.

Here's the deal, I think. PC gamers are pissed off because their game was "tarnished" by the XBox. Look at the complaints. It's too consolish. It's "only" XBox level graphics. The inventory is too simple. There's no locational damage.

Big freaking whoop. DX1 came out during the latter days of the UT engine, hardly a graphic masterpiece and had more of it's share of interface problems. Didn't hear anybody complaining then. But now, it's all about XBox vs. PC. A lot of backlash here seems to surmount to console hate.

Nov 22, 2003, 19:55
Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 19:55
Nov 22, 2003, 19:55

Played at 1024 without a hitch for me. No performance problems at all. Many demos have performance problems with specific platforms, but people are acting like this is some cardinal sin.

And gosh, I guess I missed the memo where every FPS game must have locational damage. Maybe it wasn't added so it wouldn't turn into a shoulders/headshot CS fest.

No, no, I'm sure it's just that they don't know what they're doing.

OMG!
Nov 22, 2003, 18:58
OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 18:58
Nov 22, 2003, 18:58

90% of the complaints can be solved by editing a text file! There's no way any of these issues will be solved by the time the final release hits!! This is an outrage!!!!!

Strange.
Nov 22, 2003, 15:47
Strange. Nov 22, 2003, 15:47
Nov 22, 2003, 15:47

Everyone keeps talking like keeping an XBox bar is somehow a sin against nature. Odd, I can't get XBox owners to STFU about how great the console looks. Maybe it could have looked better if they had primed it for a PC, but it still looks pretty good. What exactly are you guys comparing this against? HL2? Doom3? Far Cry? Some other game that hasn't come out yet? Not every game has to put "raise graphics bar to sell more video cards". On my box (P4, 512MB, R9700), this game ran just peachy, minus some odd light artifacts which I'd expect to see fixed in the final version.

It looks like DX2 will have the same stuff I loved about the original. You can use your head if you want to, even to win a fight. Soften some guards up with a spiderbomb, knock over the toxic barrel then use that to bait them in.

And the physics are fun, much more like the "interactive world" Spector first described. Plus, having a pet leech ball and spider hopping around is just neat.

I didn't like the interface, esp. the biomod selection. The circular HUD is neat, but seemed too close to the center of my view. I also didn't seem to be able to get drunk, which kinda sucked...

This one is still definately on my buy list.

Re: Will you...
Nov 19, 2003, 10:23
Re: Will you... Nov 19, 2003, 10:23
Nov 19, 2003, 10:23

Jet Grind Radio didn't look crap to me, to me it was vibrant, colorful and highly animated. XIII definately doesn't look like crap to me, and could stand as one of the best "comic feel" styles put to plastic.

It's all about how it services the game. Some games, like XIII, benefit from it (imo). Other games, like the second Fur Fighters, just come off looking cheap.

Fah
Nov 11, 2003, 14:04
Fah Nov 11, 2003, 14:04
Nov 11, 2003, 14:04

Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Atari.

It's out now?
Nov 11, 2003, 09:35
It's out now? Nov 11, 2003, 09:35
Nov 11, 2003, 09:35

I had just assumed it was delayed until 2004 like everything else.

Re: Huh?
Nov 7, 2003, 20:08
Re: Huh? Nov 7, 2003, 20:08
Nov 7, 2003, 20:08

Hiring modders as game developers has become pretty commonplace really.

As much as they tried...
Nov 7, 2003, 20:06
As much as they tried... Nov 7, 2003, 20:06
Nov 7, 2003, 20:06

You just can't make a good game based off a rat bomb.

The MP demo sealed me not buying this one. It felt and played like an Unreal mod. It looked better than most mods, but played worse than some.

Maybe free games are pushing out the more generic shooters?

Re: Lame Splinter Cell ripoff
Nov 6, 2003, 13:22
Re: Lame Splinter Cell ripoff Nov 6, 2003, 13:22
Nov 6, 2003, 13:22

Then they must have changed it from the demo, or the XBox version is much easier - because in the PS2 demo running and gunning was an exercise in suicide.

Definate rental from me at some point.

Re: Don't bother...
Nov 4, 2003, 14:04
Re: Don't bother... Nov 4, 2003, 14:04
Nov 4, 2003, 14:04
232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ] Older