Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Abraham Petrovic Hannibal

Real Name Abraham Petrovic Hannibal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname 4D-Boxing
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 31, 2003, 19:46
Total Comments 672 (Apprentice)
User ID 19242

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
19. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 07:15 4D-Boxing

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 06:31:
Somebody explain to me why people in 2016 are surprised that there`s a season pass in a major release? Most likely the same people who validated this bullshit by happily buying other crap DLCs/passes?

Oh, wait, it`s Bethseda. Another gaming community`s whipping boy. And of course such thread wouldn`t be complete without somebody dropping the stupid bomb: how the evil Bethsoft laughs at fans while releasing broken games that said fans have to then fix themselves (nope, they don`t make one of the most complex video game series out there AND give you a complex modding toolset to play with it. That wouldn`t suit the narrative, right?)

You've just described what i call the human variable lol. You could re-write this and replace gaming references with hardware, software, politics etc. and it would apply. That being said, i understand the frustration expressed by PC gamers. Everyone wants cash in on micro/macro transactions a la candy crush instead of increasing sales by making something that will sell and stay on the sales lists for multiple years like CS etc.

Comments on this site linked to pretty much all similar titles have all the answers publishers need.

mod tools, dedicated servers, downloadable client to host you're own server without renting, LAN support, no season pass or dlc, new content patches, expansion packs (only if they have substantial updates and content ex: BF:Hardline and BF4 should've been in a 30$ bf3 expansion pack and dlc free to keep it attractive to new folks long term a la tf2/CS)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
15. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 6, 2016, 16:37 4D-Boxing

BTW not being lazy. I exercise as much as when I was 21. 21 years later I literately look the same (yeah i may be an alien)  

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
14. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 6, 2016, 16:33 4D-Boxing

Wish Oculus Rift was Valve/HTC's baby. I tried the bad VR that was available in arcades during the 90s and I've seen kinect in action. Played a few Wii titles.

Bottom line, I'm not at all interested in moving anything other than my fingers and head (for now). I'm not looking for a holodeck yet, not until something like the MS solution becomes viable. I could handle a lawnmower man type of experience lay back and let the neural sensors do the magic.

Ex: I wouldn't play tennis since I'd prefer to go out and play for real, outdoors & untethered.

News Comments > Evening Previews
13. Re: Evening Previews Apr 5, 2016, 18:49 4D-Boxing

Wow! Since UT development moved to slow to stay on peoples radar plus has odd developed path that left me Homefront which is a bust and Doom. This means that unless someone pulls a miracle out their... It's back to my pre R6, Half Life, UT99 space sim and racing game days. I may get Fallout 4 to change things up here and there or even Rift depending on how it fares between now and July and if the privacy issues don't make it unpalatable.

@VaranDragon
I still play CoD4:MW deathmatch on the one of the remaining Broadcast 24/7 servers (with speed increased speed). The new UT has even less active servers and is down to peer to peer via hubs (noticible lag despite other metrics saying it shouldn't)

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2016, 18:54.

News Comments > Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic
14. Re: Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic Apr 4, 2016, 15:42 4D-Boxing

Not going to get political or pick a side on the issue. My comment is not in response to anyone's comment. (flame retardant)

The fact that there is more than one position on this & that this has been spun, politicized etc is mind boggling.

Seeing evolution in action in 2016 its like watching a race for crashes or reading a Star Citizen thread

News Comments > New Space Sim HOTAS
19. Re: New Space Sim HOTAS Mar 31, 2016, 18:38 4D-Boxing

HOTAS X does it for me despite reading about the click indicating 0 throttle position and/or lack of a smooth throttle. The transition means loosing potentially critical seconds when trailing etc..

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
26. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 12:59 4D-Boxing

i get the message but, the source is a bit odd. If they care about PC gaming Sli would not have been an afterthought with their last engine. Does the UT alpha even have sli support? Anyhow, MS is MS they just want to capitalize in areas were others are making $.

I've talked about many times over the years. Sooner or later tech will hit the point were we have enough juice that games will be like movies or better yet music. I can watch it on anything but, quality will vary greatly. High end stereo, cell phone, cheap bluetooth ealers or high end media player...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 30, 2016, 21:39 4D-Boxing

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 14:35:
4 billion eh? Wouldn't it be better spent on the schools first, like say in... Michigan?

I thought that education fell under state jurisdiction like health or is that a Canadian thing? In Canada the feds can't tell the provinces how to spend $ given for health or education. I assume that its the same in the US. The President can only do stuff like this, big overarching stuff to supplement what all states do.

In Canada, provinces take the $ feds give for health and education and spend it how they want and not necessarily on health or education (campaign promises,returning favors isn't cheap plus provincial gov might be of a diff party with diff priorities than health and education). Is it possible that the same dynamic exists in the US.

No offense but, I agree education is in trouble when compared to countries with similar demographics and way less $. I remember seeing Cleveland inner city school on TV back in the 90s, kids with umbrellas in class on rainy days and more rodents/vermin than students or books. Worst than some 3rd world countries. Anyways, all countries make the mistake of ignoring issues till they become disasters yet the sweep under the rug strategy persists.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Microsoft fails Windows Phone fans Dec 22, 2015, 18:52 4D-Boxing

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 10:27:
I'm sure they'll get over it. All four of them.

Whoa there buddy, that's five! You forgot to count me.
We Windows Phone users use our devices to ignore calls and avoid texts. We use our set to Google stuff when our wives or girlfriends need info while we're out shopping or dining. We have 2 apps installed, weather and flashlight. Our idea of social media is the office email distribution list and we opt out of everything cause we're just cool like that lol.

With the exception of user number three, we windows phone users wore skinny jeans back when they were just called jeans (not long after dude parted the red sea).

We use our phones like life filters to root out hipsters, remind us of the lack of apps and barren ecosystem and we get a warm fuzzy feeling because we think it means that hipsters and cool kids won't find us after hours.

We rejoice at the fact that script kiddies and kids in general think they'll get cooties if they use a Windows Phone. Then we travel outside of North America and realize that the rest of the world is on to us... I call on my fellow Windows Phone users to switch to Android or IOS, we can use those social media apps to make people think we're one place when we're on the other side of town.

Mostly kidding lol. First paragraph is true...

Seriously though, i sometimes break out my HP pro tablet 608 G1 and tell people its the new Galaxy Note 8 and people buy it till i can't help but laugh.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Content Plans
20. Re: Overwatch Free Content Plans Dec 8, 2015, 07:21 4D-Boxing

Sepharo wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:12:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:03:
It's a little too fast-paced at the moment. If they can tune it down a notch to give the non-twitch and slightly over-the-hill (e.g. 30+) gaming crowd a chance, it'll be a great game.

I always hate this criticism. I've played with 50 year olds that can still twitch. I'll be 30 this year, I'm at the top of my twitch game. I don't doubt there is some science behind reaction speeds and what not, but please for the love of god don't slow down my MP FPS... That Doom reboot is looking slow as fuck.

42 here and have no problem with twitch shooters (the faster the game the more of an edge i seem to have). Anyways, as an old school gamer, i'm worried about matchmaking. I've already said that if anyone has the infrastructure to do it right, its Blizzard. Matchmaking feels like a step backward to me so any comments on how its been thus far would be greatly appreciated..

News Comments > DiRT Rally Released
4. Re: DiRT Rally Released Dec 7, 2015, 19:56 4D-Boxing

Flatline wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 19:00:
Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 18:50:
So this is a proper rally game? Actual dirt tracks, not weird X games and obnoxious characters? I really didn't think Dirt would ever deliver.

Joystick or 360 pad? I don't know which is better for driving.

Yeah no gymkhana. I believe all real-world tracks, no x-games BS, not even any voice-overs aside from your co-pilot.

It needed a little more TLC when I played it a month or so ago last, but it's a pretty fun game. My main complaints are that the levels are on the short side and that there's not a lot of track content (though now they're up to what, a 3-part hill climb, 4 or 5 courses with 4 stages that can be reversed each course, and a couple of rally cross racing tracks).

Driving wheel is probably where it's at for this game. You need some analog support.

If a wheel isn't an option, joystick hands down. I know a few old school gamers who can hang or beat top drivers with wheels.

News Comments > Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Announced
8. removed Dec 4, 2015, 20:32 4D-Boxing

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 8, 2015, 10:00.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
40. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 15:12 4D-Boxing

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 12:43:
I'm enjoying it. The gun play is pretty tight and you can actually take more than 3 shots without croaking....

Same could be said about BF4, last night it took a full clip for the first two games, the M320 HE and plain RGO went through people causing little or no damage and down. 3rd game was better, so less than a clip and RGO & M320 HE actually did some damage.

I don't even want to try EA's matchmaking or anyone elses until it's proven to provide an online experience equal or better than the old school server browser experience.

Bottom line, still no new online fps for the PC that's worth buying? If not, back to UT alpha and a few rounds of bf4 and yes CoD4 DM on the Breadcast map lol

News Comments > System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible
36. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 18:45 4D-Boxing

SlimRam wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 18:08:
bigspender wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 16:45:
SlimRam wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 15:54:
SS2 was one of the first (and few) games that actually scared me a little. I always played it in the dark and the voices directly behind me, with headphones on, freaked my shit...I LOVED IT!

Agreed! The "Join US!!" being said in a weird detuned voice from the parasited zombies. And then the "I'm sorry..." occassionaly as they realise they aren't in control of their own bodies.

creep as! That game made me sweat and raised my heart rate that's for sure. And it wasn't done it a cheap way. There was just a general sense of dread and hopelessness.

Hehe YUP! I remember telling my co-worker, who was into PC games a little, that I had never felt so alone, isolated and afraid in a game before and he just shook his head and said,"No way am I playing that!"

Got my younger cousin to try it out after he dared me to play Resident Evil. He lasted 20min max, the look on his face was priceless. I love Deus Ex but I adore the space ship setting in SS2. My fav game ever or tied with one or two others.

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
11. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 8, 2015, 07:34 4D-Boxing

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 21:54:
4D-Boxing wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 08:47:
SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 03:20:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:56:
$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

As long as I like what I see once I have a chance to play the beta, it would be an easy buy.

I think a MP-only game can't survive in today's environment without being F2P. MAYBE Blizzard can pull it off because of their fan base, but MP only games need a large player base so that matchmaking and queue times are short and your barrier to entry is as small as possible.

Honestly, I would of loved it if Evolve and Titanfall had been F2P selling mechs, loadouts, hunters and monsters. I pay for the parts of the game I like and am assured that there will always been a number of free players around for quick matchmaking times months down the road.

I would put money on seeing microtransactions for this down the road though. Might be 6 months or a year before we see them, but the game's design just begs for it. They might even pull a TF2 and switch to F2P completely at some point at which I'll give the game a gander rather than risk $40 on something that, although unlikely due to the "It's Blizzard" factor, will be dead in a few months.

Interesting, you make some good points. I've always seen TF2 as a "one off". Right place, right time. Place = packaged in the Orange box, Time = few new twitch shooters available. Walking Dead episodic games had the same conditions. IMO Tribes Ascend, Hawken and PlanetSide 2 suffered from being f2p. I and others see f2p as a sign the title will be mediocre. The new UT is going that route and is already a ghost town.

I really can't see this doing well at all. Doom is scheduled to come out a few months before and it will probably have a server browser and mabey even LAN support. I'm one of those who's never had a good experience with matchmaking in fps, Blizzard may have the $ and infrastructure (battlenet) to make it work but, the lack of a server browser is like releasing a PC fps without mouse support but, that's a personal view. (if they want to eliminate server browser at least come up with a better option not a less feature rich one like matchmaking)

I don't think the Blizzard factor will kill the game, ignoring what PC fps fans expect as basic features guarantees the games early demise (server browser, LAN, MOD support etc..) put all those things in there and the game will have a healthy player base and longevity.

(just woke up and may not be making sense)

Eh... what? You really think Doom's MP won't be a ghost town? I've played it and it's a massive disappointment for anyone expecting a successor to Q3. The new Doom's MP will be about as popular as D3's MP, which is to say, not popular at all.

Overwatch is going to be massively more successful than Doom or any other MP shooter that isn't CS:GO.

?? Hmm yeah you're making a strong case for Overwatch?!

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
7. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 7, 2015, 08:47 4D-Boxing

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 03:20:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:56:
$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

As long as I like what I see once I have a chance to play the beta, it would be an easy buy.

I think a MP-only game can't survive in today's environment without being F2P. MAYBE Blizzard can pull it off because of their fan base, but MP only games need a large player base so that matchmaking and queue times are short and your barrier to entry is as small as possible.

Honestly, I would of loved it if Evolve and Titanfall had been F2P selling mechs, loadouts, hunters and monsters. I pay for the parts of the game I like and am assured that there will always been a number of free players around for quick matchmaking times months down the road.

I would put money on seeing microtransactions for this down the road though. Might be 6 months or a year before we see them, but the game's design just begs for it. They might even pull a TF2 and switch to F2P completely at some point at which I'll give the game a gander rather than risk $40 on something that, although unlikely due to the "It's Blizzard" factor, will be dead in a few months.

Interesting, you make some good points. I've always seen TF2 as a "one off". Right place, right time. Place = packaged in the Orange box, Time = few new twitch shooters available. Walking Dead episodic games had the same conditions. IMO Tribes Ascend, Hawken and PlanetSide 2 suffered from being f2p. I and others see f2p as a sign the title will be mediocre. The new UT is going that route and is already a ghost town.

I really can't see this doing well at all. Doom is scheduled to come out a few months before and it will probably have a server browser and mabey even LAN support. I'm one of those who's never had a good experience with matchmaking in fps, Blizzard may have the $ and infrastructure (battlenet) to make it work but, the lack of a server browser is like releasing a PC fps without mouse support but, that's a personal view. (if they want to eliminate server browser at least come up with a better option not a less feature rich one like matchmaking)

I don't think the Blizzard factor will kill the game, ignoring what PC fps fans expect as basic features guarantees the games early demise (server browser, LAN, MOD support etc..) put all those things in there and the game will have a healthy player base and longevity.

(just woke up and may not be making sense)

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
21. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:40 4D-Boxing

The F bomb before mentioning Cutter sets an interesting tone especially since were at 16 comments (as i type while at work)and the flamethrowers aren't out yet. This sounds like a man/woman on a mission.

Just a spectator so, not picking sides.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Oct 8, 2015, 22:11 4D-Boxing

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 20:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 20:32:
Task wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 20:10:
Lol, Derek Smart had a temper tantrum again. the whole thing is brilliant.
Everybody Needs To Calm Down About 'Star Citizen'
Star Citizen's pace of funding has accelerated, and it's powered by new backers
Kevin Dent - Video Game Exec - His Take on Star Citizen

DS needs a nap indeed. His wife would do good by unplugging his internet access for a Digital Detox.

The delirium tremens from a digital withdrawl could kill him.

The cure is for everyone including Chris Roberts to ignore Derek.
No clicks equals no money equals no internet fame.
He has written hundreds of words in previous blogs that amount to fuck all. I won't bother reading this one or any more of his childish rants, they are a waste of time.

Please for the love of all that is good and crazy, don't let it happen. This is escalating to be the greatest thing to grace the internet for the last ten years. Both sides are going all out. There is no scenario in which we don't get entertainment out of it.

Entertaining indeed! Not a backer and thanks to Blues I skipped a basic contribution this past august. Anyways, Derek Smart is who he is. Only interacted once when he was working on something similar years ago and only to express my enthusiasm. The guy replied with a tirade but quickly apologized when i reminded him that my post expressed interest in such a game. Because of that, everything he posts is only entertainment, a bitter guy lashing out at those who managed to get more support than he ever did for a similar idea. Not saying that i'm on Roberts side, this is a bad as the HotWatch kick-starter... the forums are pure venom. 2015 Roberts vs Smart and Trump vs intelligent human beings, Putin vs Sanity. It's like that movie curse "may you live in interesting times".

News Comments > Steam in Stores
8. Re: Steam in Stores Oct 5, 2015, 15:37 4D-Boxing

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:09:
So Steam took PC gaming from retail to online, and now PC gaming is going back to retail?

Retail gave up on PC gaming so I gave up on being PC games from retail stores. So the PC game rack in the forgotten corner of the store will now have a steam banner?! Maybe they'll download the game to disk for us, better yet game boxes with disks that only contain a link to steam lol

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 12:52 4D-Boxing

EricFate wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:57:
The cast members have all been provided with a Blu-ray copy of the 1999 Wing Commander film so that they can better understand the level of quality we are aiming for.

What, you mean no Ginger Lynn! Oh Ginger Ginger, Ginger lol

I just had to

672 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo