Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 928 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Responds to Watch Dogs: Legion/HITRECORD Criticism
9. Re: Ubisoft Responds to Watch Dogs: Legion/HITRECORD Criticism Jul 16, 2019, 18:24 Talisorn

God you guys are a bunch of cynical whingers. This gives an artist a) exposure and b) something decent to add to their resume. It's not like it's all one sided. People have a choice, you know? If they want to participate in contributing to the game, let them.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
111. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 23:41 Talisorn

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:01:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:48:
Another competitive store? Yeah that's a good thing for consumers for sure.
A store that pays to remove choices from the consumers? Nah.

Doesn't seem complicated to me.

You mean a store that makes publishers an exclusivity OFFER, of course.

What is removing the choice from consumers is NOT the offer or the payment per se but the greedy as fuck publishers who ACCEPT the offer, fully well knowing that consumer choice will be (time) limited.

It's all semantics to me. There are plenty of games that are "exclusive" to Steam. Sure Valve does not pay for the exclusivity, but by virtue of their sheer dominance of the digital download market, many publishers just don't go anywhere else. There are plenty of games I'd rather buy on GoG or another platform, but you can only get what you want on Steam

And you want to tell me THAT'S good for the market?

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
89. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:26 Talisorn

I don't give a fuck how unpopular the opinion may be, but I actually agree with him. The only way to break Steam's status-quo is though market disruption. Steam's dominance needs to be broken; people get pissy at Microsoft, Apple and Google but they tolerant and even encourage Steam's virtual monopoly. It boggles my mind sometimes how blinkered gamers can be.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Collector's Edition
7. Re: DOOM Eternal Collector's Edition Jun 12, 2019, 18:45 Talisorn

After the FO76 Collectors Edition saga (still haven't got the Canvas Bag), I trust these guys as far as I can comfortably spit a rat.  

News Comments > City of Brass Free on Epic Games Store
15. Re: City of Brass Free on Epic Games Store May 31, 2019, 16:04 Talisorn

Veinman wrote on May 30, 2019, 22:21:
Complaining about a free game you don't have to take. Find some joy, dude.

It's on Epic and whining about anything they do is now a national pastime ... until the kids find something new to hate.

News Comments > Total War: Three Kingdoms Sells 1M
14. Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Sells 1M May 31, 2019, 04:36 Talisorn

Kxmode wrote on May 31, 2019, 01:42:
Talisorn wrote on May 30, 2019, 04:47:
MeanJim wrote on May 30, 2019, 02:37:
Talisorn wrote on May 29, 2019, 23:49:
Well ... when it's a Steam Exclusive in all but name, you have no choice but to use Steam, do you?

And they complain about Epic. *sheesh*

Valve/Steam didn't bribe the publisher to make it a Steam exclusive.

People were bitching about Epic well before any of that started happening. Gearbox chose exclusivity. So did Deep Silver. And they became pariahs because they wouldn't suck Gaben's dick. Yet Creative Assembly chooses to go onto Steam only and nobody bats an eyelid.

And don't forget the only reason why Steam started giving refunds was that the Australian government was taking them to court and they thought they could get out of it. Fuck Steam. They had the market on anti-consumer for years before anyone else came on board digital distribution. I'm glad their monopoly is being carved up.

Perhaps you missed the part where MeanJim wrote, rightly so, "Valve didn't bribe the publisher to make it a Steam exclusive." That's why nobody is up in arms about it. If the publishers wants to go exclusive on a particular platform that's their business. But when the platform pays a publisher not to sell their game on a competing platform that's when people get upset.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that "Gearbox chose exclusivity. So did Deep Silver." In other words, they weren't "bribed" by Epic. And yet everyone so up in arms about Borderlands 3 and Metro: Exodus. And now they are pariahs.

"Your point is invalid".

5. Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Sells 1M May 30, 2019, 04:47 Talisorn

MeanJim wrote on May 30, 2019, 02:37:
Talisorn wrote on May 29, 2019, 23:49:
Well ... when it's a Steam Exclusive in all but name, you have no choice but to use Steam, do you?

Valve/Steam didn't bribe the publisher to make it a Steam exclusive.

People were bitching about Epic well before any of that started happening. Gearbox chose exclusivity. So did Deep Silver. And they became pariahs because they wouldn't suck Gaben's dick. Yet Creative Assembly chooses to go onto Steam only and nobody bats an eyelid.

And don't forget the only reason why Steam started giving refunds was that the Australian government was taking them to court and they thought they could get out of it. Fuck Steam. They had the market on anti-consumer for years before anyone else came on board digital distribution. I'm glad their monopoly is being carved up.

2. Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Sells 1M May 29, 2019, 23:49 Talisorn

Kxmode wrote on May 29, 2019, 22:13:
Steam is totally dead y'all.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta
2. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 22, 2019, 21:15 Talisorn

I'm waiting for the hate train to start rolling. Anything that poses a threat to the "Most Holy of Holies, Steam" must be crushed by the Valve Crusaders.  

News Comments > SUCCUBUS Announced
5. Re: SUCCUBUS Announced Dec 19, 2018, 21:14 Talisorn

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2018, 20:11:
That was brutal. But watch out, the Dems will want to ban this because of its ultra violence.

And GOP's evangelical base will want to ban it because demons and devils .... and bewbs.

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
28. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 18:16 Talisorn

Yeah .... I can't see this crossing the line in some countries. You must provide refunds where a product doesn't match the description. So far, it doesn't.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised
2. Re: Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised Jun 27, 2018, 20:45 Talisorn

Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 19:52:
#TeamTinfoil

Yep. Let the conspiracy theories begin. It doesn't matter if there is no conspiracy. That's kind of irrelevant.

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
23. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 17:01 Talisorn

Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 11:01:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 10:47:
So all that means is that, for Australia, Valve will just raise prices to cover the fine which is probably less than a day's worth of net profit for them. They'll do that to cover both this fine and any subsequent fines as they have no intentions of changing their business practices.

I don't believe Valve sets regional prices except on their own games -- they provide suggested prices, but you can set them to whatever. It seems unlikely that they're going to mess with their 30% cut just because of an Australian fine.

And they already changed their business practices. My understanding is that the Australian fine was initiated before Valve implemented their current refund policy.

They don't set the price, but they do set the currency. Australia pays the same bricks and mortar prices on AAA games but is charged in $US ... and Valve are pocketing the difference. A lot of customers don't realise their being ripped off blind. I rarely buy games from Steam anymore for that reason.

News Comments > PixARK Early Access This Month
6. Re: PixARK Early Access This Month Mar 13, 2018, 21:11 Talisorn

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 16:03:
Rhett wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 15:56:
I was looking into it, apparently the dev is responsible for Dark and Light (another ARK clone... at least, as far as I know, it is..). Also, by default, there seems to be a 3-day time limit on all tames in-game for some reason. Supposedly mod support is intended though.

Also a possibility of microtransactions, due to the dev's history in mobile games and Asia-based MMOs. No word on the release date or price from what I could see (besides March).

It's probably actually going to be neat, I'm just getting tired of the Minecraft trend/graphics is all. =P I used to co-run a popular ARK server, and have a lot of biased hate for how Wildcard treated the game.

I hear you. I sometimes get tired of all the pixelart titles that come out and wish they had better, cleaner graphics. I still bought Into the Breach though.

I'm looking forward to it actually. I played Cubeworld heaps when it was actually still actively in development, but that seems to have died. At least I can run a persistant server without it taxing my machine to death.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation
10. Re: That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 22:17 Talisorn

Bard wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 12:53:
The only compensation I think should be made is to REMOVE THE STUPID DRM being used!

/facepalm

CA Certs are not DRM.

News Comments > Portal Knights Released
1. Re: Portal Knights Released May 24, 2017, 17:48 Talisorn

Nice game, but the persistent world and building aspect SCREAMS the need for dedicated server code. Sadly, the devs says they aren't doing it. To me, that's a massive chunk of game potential missing.  

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
22. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 14:57 Talisorn

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:31:
So Australian Steam users don't have the same refund policy that we have in North America?

The court case started prior to Steam offering refunds. In fact refunds started being offed two months after the court case was announced.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog
19. Re: No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog Nov 30, 2016, 15:15 Talisorn

People jump to the conclusion there's payoffs and conspiracies where there's no. The ASA is a UK organisation. It's not as US organisation. No corruption to see. Suggestions that there is is just petulant trolling.

The review was limited to advertising which is all they can LEGALLY examine. Interviews cannot be considered because they are not advertising. Sure, Sean Murray is fucking liar and misrepresented what NMS could do in interviews and social media, but their advertising toed the line.

And anyone who bought into the hype was a fool. Come on folks. Many people here are the same ones who sat through Black and White, Spore and Fable. Why does anyone believe outrageous claims?

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name
1. Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 21, 2016, 17:56 Talisorn

Makes sense.  

News Comments > BT Steamed at Valve: Suing
11. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 16:11 Talisorn

People throw claims of "patent trolls" so quickly without knowing the full story. This reminds me of the licencing dispute with the CSIRO who were crucial in development of WiFi. People accused them of being patent trolls and yet big US telcos were trying to rip them off.  

928 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo