Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Devon

Real Name Devon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname [SC]TherMight
Email devon@eversmile.com
ICQ 2442994
Description Game Developer, C++, Java, DirectX/Windows
Recently 1 of 3 programmers on Mattel's best-selling Christmas game for '99
Working on a UnrealScript game type
Available for contracting, can supply additional developers for larger contracts
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 10, 2000, 22:31
Total Comments 40 (Suspect)
User ID 1900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2017, 15:06 [SC]TherMight

I finished the article and the game (just last weekend). I don't think the description of rpg was so cringe-worthy.

But he claimed he played it 6 months. He could not have played it more than 4 months since he would have gotten it no earlier than very beginning of March 2017.

This made me wonder if saying you played the game for months does a disservice in the article. It probably doesn't. I imagine this professor did not make a beeline through the main quest. He's probably 70 hours into it or more.

So averaged over one play a day that's probably 45 mins/day.
That's actually a sizable chunk for a casual. (though play sessions are typically longer and spread out) So I guess it is fair to say you've "played the game for 4 months".

The only real cringe-worthy point was how he emphasized that it was a waste of time trying to make a convincing point. But kind of failed in that. Even though yes games are technically a wasting of time. He could have made a better point about the value of that time vs most people who spend the same averge minutes per day sitting there on Facebook getting angry at political fiascos.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles
4. Re: Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles Apr 23, 2017, 01:44 [SC]TherMight

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 21:56:
But can I choose whatever level 20 hero I want? Or is more random Overwatch crap (where you get more duplicates of crap you didn't want in the first place)?

No you get to choose from 1 of 4 specific packs that have ~20 heroes each in them. Depending on what you already might have.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
43. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 16:27 [SC]TherMight

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 15:08:
Well, Dragon Age MP was just Mass Effect 3 MP, so nothing has really changed much there.
Have to disagree, they really were not the same multiplay.
ME3 multiplayer had an element of danger and challenge to it that was never really there in DA multiplayer.
DA was a crawl through multiple rooms and you could often stay in the open and run.
ME3 was more compact and you were dead if you did not take down certain enemies fast together and mostly stay together.
ME3 itemization was better in a lot of ways but grindy in ways that would probably hurt it in today's age.
ME3's class and skill balance was such that someone with amazing skill could really shine and carry a group.
In DA it felt to me your individual performance mattered less.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
32. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 14:44 [SC]TherMight

It hurts to not buy this game at launch. But I have many other games and... Sounds like it needs patches and more reviews.

If I could buy just the multiplayer I probably would do that. Though I am disappointed they didn't seem to have innovated much in the multiplayer. Seems like ME:Andromeda has become more like DragonAge multiplayer now?

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
20. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 5, 2017, 00:20 [SC]TherMight

I gave up on this game when I saw British demo his hyper realistic backpack system that has actual jumbled objects lying in a mess at the bottom of the bag. WTF? No...  

News Comments > E3 Opens to Public
8. Re: E3 Opens to Public Feb 9, 2017, 00:50 [SC]TherMight

This is an indication of the conference's death throes.
They tried to cut down even the industry associates because of the nuclear escalation of "Hey we have the best stripper booth babes"
They tried to close it to a smaller audience to get back to their roots
Now this?

Besides there is nothing ever fresh and new to discover or preview at this conference anymore. Gone are the days when you could sit down to play a little game called Katamari Damacy that nobody heard of until it blew up a month later worldwide.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March
9. Re: Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March Jan 23, 2017, 13:37 [SC]TherMight

DrSquick wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 13:16:
Primalchrome wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 12:59:
DrSquick wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 12:44:
Edit : I read this after posting and I sound like a total judgmental shitheel. Soulsborne games are fun, regardless of how you approach them. I do the same thing you do.... I do a level as far as I can and then look up online to see what all I'm missing. If I get hung up on a boss for a few days, I look up what kind of tactics work for other people.

I also have to look online for explanations of the lore and how some of the quests work. They are way too nebulous for me to process well. Some of them I get....but many are wayyyyy too murky for these old eyes.

No, I understand what you mean, and they probably aren't for me. I'm glad people love them though. I'm also not a "bullet hell" genre gamer either. I like slower paced games that I can think 10 steps ahead. I also don't enjoy playing games on "Hard" either. And Dark Souls is definitely Hard++++++.

In a lot of ways, Dark Souls feels like the newer version of Contra for the NES. One hit and you are dead, so you end up needing to learn where every enemy is.

There's truth that you have to approach them differently. Having played all the souls games, I have noticed a drastic improvement from Demon Souls to Dark Souls 3 in my enjoyment of them and how relaxed I am playing them. A gamer that follows DrSquick's original advice really will get more out of it.

I have seen other games benefit by taking a page from the Souls series. Make the content very challenging but allow players to learn to avoid and handle the damage. A raid designer of Lord of the Rings MMO cited his experience with Dark Souls as inspiring a new approach and that was very well received.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera
17. Re: Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera Jan 12, 2017, 15:02 [SC]TherMight

Awesome, can't wait. I kickstarted this when it came out since I was a huge fan of original Planescape torment.

That interactive video is a great promotional tool!

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced for Consoles
40. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced for Consoles Oct 18, 2016, 16:03 [SC]TherMight

Because Westworld. Good move.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
29. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 4, 2016, 19:57 [SC]TherMight

Never backed this because I didn't believe. Not sorry yet.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 3, 2016, 18:46 [SC]TherMight

"most people still prefer them"

Who are these "most people"? Audible.com is my only source of books for years now.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Details and Plans
38. Re: NMS player base says buh bye Aug 22, 2016, 15:26 [SC]TherMight

I'm also still enjoying it from launch date on PS4.

The game gives you enough motivation to stop at a few places on planets as you swing through. Certain resources and upgrades are needed.

So that's incentive enough to go out and see some really beautiful and sometimes hilarious flora and fauna and land layouts.

This weekend I intentionally left my ship behind while being chased by sentinels grabbing $$$ Graviton spheres to see how long I could last. It was scary and thrilling and I knew I was coming away with a few million credits of fat loot at the same time. Eventually found a ship call beacon after many close calls and a couple nasty deaths.

I have all 48 exosuit slots a 25 slot ship and am about 4 atlas stops from end of game. I probably don't care enough about NMS to platinum it unless they add some interesting DLC later. After I finish though I WILL return to the 97% progress I am stuck on with Dark Souls III!

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Valve doubling office space Aug 7, 2016, 13:36 [SC]TherMight

"Valve doubling office space ..."

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED! (again)

News Comments > Turbine Layoffs
2. Re: Turbine Layoffs Jul 8, 2016, 12:31 [SC]TherMight

This is the curse of the Turbine Raid.

It's been several years since they told their customer base that most of the player base doesn't do raids and it's nor worth their effort to build that content for a small % of the player base. This is when all the good players left the game for other games like Rift that actually cared about raiders.

About that time they also had great layoffs and slimmed down.

Now a brand new raid has just come out and boom... more layoffs even deeper than what was needed to build the raid. It's pretty sad. I still know a very dedicated player base there but have no real motivation to go back and play even though I have a lifetime account and it's free for me.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 28, 2016, 13:22 [SC]TherMight

It's going to be a real block buster  

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
19. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 27, 2016, 18:31 [SC]TherMight

I remember a giant Atrox in a purple Borat-style mankini who would dance in one of the main cities.

If people paid him enough in donations he would stop and put his clothes back on.

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
18. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 27, 2016, 18:27 [SC]TherMight

OMG... I jumped in 2001 when PC Gaming magazine wrote a huge positive article about how AO has recovered from its initial bad launch.

I remember writing a java app for the community to twink implants. Implants were greatest for rewarding hard-core players with some extra fun.

Our 500+ player guild The Dojo held a "Newbie Race of Doom" where players tried to make it through level 110 area as a level 5 noob. We had "reporters" flying in their Yalmaha ships snapping screenshots of the most hilarious deaths.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
14. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 18, 2016, 14:01 [SC]TherMight

Jesus Giant Bomb, edit your videos. Who wants to listen to watch TWENTY (20) dead minutes of film at the beginning?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2016, 13:57 [SC]TherMight

It's simple.
Is it "Jraphic Interchange Format?"
No...it's actually "Graphic Interchange Format"
So as with "graphic" it's "gif" as in "gtfo" not "jif" as in "Jerry"

That said I still usually say it the "wrong" way but only because it's what I'm used to

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard
4. Re: Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard Jun 6, 2016, 21:30 [SC]TherMight

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 20:36:
So Jay leaves D3 team and what we get is 'seasons' of grinding out 3 million things over and over for pets, banners, wings and stickers.

Hah, Jay Wilson sure left his mark on D3 and it stunk pretty bad.

It's really hard for me to understand what drove people to even continue playing this game. I had many many hours of fun before auctions were even removed but who really thought they were going to transform it into anything better?

40 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo