Limit Results:

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

perhaps...
Nov 17, 2003, 17:20
perhaps... Nov 17, 2003, 17:20
Nov 17, 2003, 17:20

"because NFS went from almost simulation to a arcade for the youngest kids..."

yet the diehard sim fans who are supposed to be so mature and so sophisticated are the biggest WHINERS and COMPLAINERS of them all. They are in business to make the most money they can. Not to appease the over-zealous minority. GET OVER IT!! All of you. the game does not suck, it just does not meet YOUR expectations. So once again, GET OVER IT. Better yet, grow up.

Re: ZzzzZZzzzz
Oct 15, 2003, 12:17
Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 15, 2003, 12:17
Oct 15, 2003, 12:17

If it went gold, that means they are done and it is going to duplication. There is no 3 weeks to work on it. It is "done". That is what "gold" means.

I dunno what to think of Valve now. First it is done, then it is not, then it is going to a new developer now it is done...I am starting to side with ANON. Quit fucking lying to us. Or at the very least be straight with us.

Not to mention...
Oct 14, 2003, 23:04
Not to mention... Oct 14, 2003, 23:04
Oct 14, 2003, 23:04

A lot of people dump on Reloaded. But to be honest with you, I think the one thing people are not realizing is a reason 2 & 3 are being released to close to each other (other than production cost reduction) is the fact that the time frame between Reloaded and Revolutions was to keep the fans interested and talking throughout the whole wait. Not only that, the fact that they were essentially a joint continuation to an original story. With the time frames so close, it would be hard to pull off two believable climaxes. Either way, the only scene that really pissed me of in Reloaded was the sex scene. Having a sex scene is one thing, having to endure a five minute sex scene with Keanu Reeves is another. Especially when you don't see anything of Trinities ass or anything!!

Re: Is STEAM safe????
Oct 9, 2003, 20:12
Re: Is STEAM safe???? Oct 9, 2003, 20:12
Oct 9, 2003, 20:12

"Think if the Steam Source code was stolen they would have told us??"

Yes, cause then future problems could be blamed on it. More specifically it buys them time to get things right. Further, when something is swiped like that, it is only a matter of time before it surfaces; whether it be someone lets it slip, or the code turns up mysteriously on the net.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 00:10.

Re: I'll admite
Oct 9, 2003, 17:08
Re: I'll admite Oct 9, 2003, 17:08
Oct 9, 2003, 17:08

"Of course the file servers were on the internet. People sometimes need access when they aren't in the building."

Don't wanna sound like an ass, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about since you assert so much certainty in your post. If you need access to something on your network and require outside access, you use a VPN. It establishes an encrypted "tunnel" in which you connect through securely. They did not do this. Therefore your point is moot.But you are right about one thing...some simple firewalls wouldn't. But a properly configured router with a proper ACL would! Which the lack of a VPN, IDS, proper ACLs and software update policies, just shows how ignorance and complacency is truly prevailent in the online community.

And quite the contrary, the fact that this happened does make them look unprofessional because they did not take measures to PREVENT this in the first place. And most other companies do not have such a shoddy network infrastructure in place.

Re: No subject
Oct 7, 2003, 23:11
Re: No subject Oct 7, 2003, 23:11
Oct 7, 2003, 23:11

for sure, i have no doubt of that. it is a network enabled application...client-host application set. But should someone get life in prison over it? I just think a lot of people are putting too much emotion into their posts rather than any form of common sense because of how anxious they were to play the game.

To think I don't think this is serious is lunacy. But it is only serious to GAMERS, Valve and Vivendi right now. It is not important to banks, oil companies or my employer. My world will not come to an end. And for that matter, I will not feel sorry for someone who failed to protect themselves. I can't. Sorry. That is like feeling sorry for John Wayne Bobbit. Hmmm....physically assault your wife and then trustingly sleep next to her expecting her NOT to slice your pecker off???

I am only downplaying any emotion. Not the ramifications of what this means.

nm
Oct 7, 2003, 23:03
nm Oct 7, 2003, 23:03
Oct 7, 2003, 23:03

nm
This comment was edited on Oct 7, 23:04.

Re: No subject
Oct 7, 2003, 22:51
Re: No subject Oct 7, 2003, 22:51
Oct 7, 2003, 22:51

Monty,

"So you are comparing locking up Thieves and hackers with the extermination of 15 million men women and children?"

You did it to yourself guy.
"I would register everyones name in a international database" Hmmm....Hitler made the Jews register. I don't think he said anything about killing Jews!

As for the rest of you talking about imprisonment for life etc...Shut the holy fu**ing hell up about it. So a game gets delayed. So some people lose money. There are such bigger issues that happen everyday that nobody says shit about.

What about a negligent employer who doesn't maintain equipment and now a little girl lost her daddy? Hell, a real story that maybe some of you could have some emotional opinion of: Danny Heatly essentially killed a very good friend and teammate by driving like an idiot. Should he get the death penalty? Life in prison? His buddy died for focks sake yet nobody is calling for his head!!

So many people here don't have a focking clue how real life works and should really get a clue. Life imprisonment. Ban from the internet.

Despite the fact a law was broken, Valve will get no such sympathy from me. Just as a family who puts their Christmas presents in the front window and leaves the front door unlocked, they can and should expect not to come home to see their treasures there. Valve was negligent. Gabe in particular was IGNORANT!! Yes, you read right. Working for Microsoft for 15 years, if anyone should know the importance of updating your windows and other MS products, it was him!!!

Sure, the perps deserve time. Not life....maybe a couple years. As far as bashing warez goes, I pirated Half Life. There, I admit it. But I went on to but HL, CS and OF. Just cause someone warez's something does not mean they will not buy the title. Those in the warez scene you should be lamenting is those who sell it...those are the real guys stealing money from developers/publishers.

And as for that CNN saying "Thieves steal playable version of Half-Life 2" they should tell the story as it is, Thieves take advantage of game developers complacency".

Re: poor valve
Oct 5, 2003, 22:48
Re: poor valve Oct 5, 2003, 22:48
Oct 5, 2003, 22:48

panties? quit undressing me in your mind you perv...for the record, they're boxers.
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 22:49.

Re: Justice
Oct 5, 2003, 22:34
Re: Justice Oct 5, 2003, 22:34
Oct 5, 2003, 22:34

"Just because Valve is a corporation does not mean Gabe and the other owners would get off scott free."

Well here is a question, is Valve a limited corporation? It sure as hell could mean that. As long as their was no criminal negligence/intent on their part.

BTW, were those individuals contractors or actual employees. Cause employees are shielded from liability stemming from their employer....at least in most countries with labour laws.

"yes they are rich, but not super rich, and it still sucks it happened to them, no matter the economics."

good. you see my point. and I always did see yours...just like to take things from multiple angles. here is another one to chew on: I am not going to feel sorry for a millionaire who might not be making his next million right away. I know of a lot harder working people who make a hell of a lot less money and keep plugging away day in and day out doing jobs they hate, getting dirty, getting hurt etc...only to have to work at least 20 years to make their first million (before taxes). Sorry if I seem calous, but there are much more deserving people of my sympathy. I will say that sucks, i feel for you. But I am not going to lose sleep over it or pray about it or turn down a dollar to a homeless guy cause Gabe might need it.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 22:42.

Oct 5, 2003, 20:55
Re: Justice Oct 5, 2003, 20:55
Oct 5, 2003, 20:55

Paranoid...talk about reading too deep. I said I was not too concerned about Gabe financially. The words you put in my mouth are by no means true and my comments were not intended to provide a justification or trivializing the crime committed. I am not concerned about him for the following reasons:

1.) he was rich before; he is rich now
2.) he is technically an employee of Valve. While being one of the primary stakeholders, he is still an employee.
3.) with Valve being a company and Gabe being an employee, law prevents anyone from suing Gabe without personal criminal negligence. Not protecting yourself is hardly criminal. Therefore it is Valve that is in trouble. Not Gabe.

Sure, their work was stolen from under them. Dispicable as it is, that is life. As bad as it is to swallow that is life in corporate America. And as scary as it is to say that is life when you are a high profile software company in corporate America who fails to protect themselves. And to prevent further rhetorics, I am not condoning what happened; rather saying that they themselves could of prevented it. Like the old adage says: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As far as ballsy...yeah, it was. They have made movies about such stunts and I am sure you have paid to see them and cheered for them too. Just because it does not make you happy does not make it any less than it was. It took guts to pull something like that on a company which is trying to revolutionize a media delivery system over the worlds largest network. I would never attempt anything like that for fear of getting caught. Why? Cause I would expect a company of the reputed calibre to be able to prevent such incidents from happening. And in the USA, the FBI and other federal agencies will be all over it. Tell me it would not take balls to do it now. Remember, you pay to see movies of people doing stupid stuff that you would say took balls

That being said, I said nothing pertaining to the act which was committed or the glorification of it. Just objectively trying to see the mindset it would take to pull something like that off and if you don't like that then that's your problem. I don't feel the need to explain myself further.

BTW, it was only about 6million Jews. Learn some history.
This comment was edited on Oct 7, 22:54.

Oct 5, 2003, 15:18
Re: Justice Oct 5, 2003, 15:18
Oct 5, 2003, 15:18

While I agree justice should be done, I fail to see any relevance or reason to post something like this. Cowardly bitches? Common. They were the ones who put their asses on the line to break into a top rate game company's network. And then steal their source!! Quite a ballsy move if I ever saw one out of a geek. And don't narrow it down too much there. No all hackers are pimply faced nor would you readily identify them because a lot of computer savvy folks now are rather quite stylin'

In reality though, I cannot see too much coming out of this as far as other companies using the code. I mean, high profile case like this...there would surely be some watchful eyes on technology implementation in games. For the next couple years at least! The ramifications of this will wane with time (probably shorter than most think) and with some re-working of some code things will probably get back to normal at Valve.

I am not worried about those guys though financially. Half life set them up good. And hell, Gabe was a millionaire before he left M$ so cry me a river....I gotta dig into savings. There are people out there we should really be crying for that don't know what it is like to even have $10 in savings.

Re: what is this world coming to ?????
Oct 5, 2003, 04:50
Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 5, 2003, 04:50
Oct 5, 2003, 04:50

I think one way is suppoed to simply mean all unsolicited traffic from the cloud is blocked. In otherwords a firewall/router.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 04:50.

Re: As much as I hate to say this...
Oct 4, 2003, 11:50
Re: As much as I hate to say this... Oct 4, 2003, 11:50
Oct 4, 2003, 11:50

"With this code, you could even probably write a seperate program that worked like a firewall to block and then reply to HL2's connections, allowing HL2 to think it was steam authenticated without ever actually having connected to a real server."

Good, I am sick of always being monitored by somebody. Soon enough I will have to swipe a card to take a shit in my own house so someone can see water usage patterns. Steam was a bad idea with piss poor implementation.

Uhm....yeah
Oct 4, 2003, 11:40
Uhm....yeah Oct 4, 2003, 11:40
Oct 4, 2003, 11:40

So Gabe worked at MS for like 15 years when he started Valve. Now developing on an M$ box is no big deal IMO. What really makes me wonder wtf is why he would store the source locally. Hell...why the source was allowed to even see a computer on the internet is Darwinism. I loved HL. Hated some of the spawn from it, but perhaps this is a time to shape up or ship out. Smarten up or get beat down. A few simple changes in protocol woulda avoided all this. I know it was all said before, but not by me so...

Further, this will set them back. And for the person who said they shoulda kept quiet, it would bite them in the ass later. Say they kept quiet and released anyway...who would you be pissed at when something happened then resulting from this?

Monetarily, I think you guys are placing your worry in the wrong places. They may not be Bill Gates, but Gabe was a millionaire before he left Microsoft. Ok, so his game isn't going to be released for another 6 months or something while they re-work the network code. Big deal. It is not like they are some unemployed paycheque to paycheque coder who is having a house forclosed because he can't make his mortgage payment. These guys are rich. They will cope. It is the frustration and the sense of loss that is the worst for them. I promise you, lost revenue was not the #1 thing on Gabe's mind.

In closing I would like to extend my heartiest MWAHAHAHAHA to those dumb shits who upgrade their systems for 1 game.

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older