Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:- Hide Users on BluesNews- Min Price Filter for SteamDB- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On September 24, 2003
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 16991 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Phoenix Point Released

11. Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 22:22  Kxmode 

Teddy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 19:04:
So far, graphically not as nice as the X-COM remakes

It's based on the original X-COM, not the X-COM reboot. It says that in the first sentence up above. You're comparing apples to oranges.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SuperData on Digital Spending

3. Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 21:58  Kxmode 

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 20:13:
I think it is somewhat disingenuous to make any statement about whether or not PC gamers /prefer/ to buy digitally, since for all intents and purposes, it is almost impossible to buy PC games physically anymore. They may very well prefer digital, but sales figures are not indicative of their preferences, only that they are buying games digitally, whether they like it more or not.

I think you're getting your wires crossed. The article stated a lower percentage of gamers prefer to purchase from physical retailers. I do agree about saying they "prefer," though. There may be a wide variety of reasons why that happened. Perhaps the lack of access to broadband is one consideration. I know if I wasn't on broadband, I won't mess with digital downloading.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > SuperData on Digital Spending

1. Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 20:06  Kxmode 

Game Stop to Shareholders: "We expect to bounce back from this slump next year." Insanity.  

News Comments > PC Halo Reach Released

10. Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:31  Kxmode 

Simon Says wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 17:22:
Just snatched it, I hadn't played anything after Halo 2, glad I can continue the story.

Finish the Fight

News Comments > Phoenix Point Released

1. Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 14:12  Kxmode 

I wish them well. But I think, in the end, Epic Snapshot Games would have made more money (and certainly sustained goodwill) had they sold on Steam and eventually EGS once Epic moved away from their childish exclusivity.

Edit: Where's my head at?

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 15:21.

News Comments > Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit

36. Re: Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit Dec 3, 2019, 14:07  Kxmode 

VoodooV wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 09:39:
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that people would post misogynistic comments here.

Free speech doesn't exist on a private website, kids.

Free speech... you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

News Comments > Phoenix Point Tomorrow

12. Re: Phoenix Point Tomorrow Dec 3, 2019, 14:01  Kxmode 

Beamer wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:43:
Verno wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 09:03:
Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:00:
There are no preloads on the Epic Games Store

I thought they had finally figured out how to do that? Or is it still "complicated"?

For some reason they seem to roll features on a per game basis, not sure if they just haven't developed an API yet or what the deal is.

No APIs. Everything is manually duct-taped together, which is why AAA games are getting big priority. It's leading to all kinds of conspiracy theories, but don't we know that conspiracy theories are usually not due to conspiracies, but rather incompetence/sloppiness/laziness?

The truth is simple. The Epic Games Store is the repurposed Paragon launcher, which itself comes from the Chromium open-source project. Conversely, Valve built Steam from scratch. It's tough to bolt-on basic features because Chromium doesn't have it. The app isn't designed to operate like Steam; it's a browser first and foremost. That's why it takes Epic so long to add features.

There are also two questions to consider. Why hasn't Epic released portions of their code back to the Chromium project? How is Epic going to handle Google's recommendation to "rebase your change onto a newer source revision to minimize merge conflicts?"

I think the best path forward is for Epic to scrap the current iteration of EGS entirely and build a new store from the ground up from scratch. They would then have MORE control over adding new features. It's not like Epic doesn't know how to build a platform. They created the Unreal engine, much like Valve created Source.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 13:40  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 10:59:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 03:38:
[snip]
Interesting! A shame he didn't get a lawyer to take the case with payment contingent on winning or settling.

I'd imagine proving the similarities in a court of law wouldn't be too difficult. The evidence is pretty damning.

News Comments > Steam Controller Sold Out?

13. Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 13:35  Kxmode 

TIL Valve's eCommerce platform cannot track inventory count. *gasp!* For shame Valve.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 14:04.

News Comments > PC Halo Reach Released

3. Re: PC Halo Reach Released Dec 3, 2019, 13:34  Kxmode 

Super cool! Last time I played Halo 1 was on the original Xbox with the big bulky controllers (I still have it; I should Ebay it).  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 04:10  Kxmode 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:32:
Hey BoP, what is your spin on their PoP!_OS?

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion.

Because it tries too hard to be something (Windows 10) that it's not (Linux).

News Comments > Phoenix Point Tomorrow

4. Re: Phoenix Point Tomorrow Dec 3, 2019, 04:03  Kxmode 

Teddy wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 01:32:
Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:00:
There are no preloads on the Epic Games Store

I thought they had finally figured out how to do that? Or is it still "complicated"?

They did them for borderlands 3, dunno what the difference is here.

The difference is that was Borderlands 3, and this is not Borderlands 3. Epic doesn't give the same, shall we say, privilege to indie titles as they do to big publisher titles. It's Lords and Serfs. Yes, I'm comparing the Epic Games Store to Medieval England. Cheerio!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 03:38  Kxmode 

I'm playing through Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars when I noticed half-way through it felt very similar to The Da Vinci Code. I had to look up the release dates of both.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars 1996 (started working on the story ten years prior)
The Da Vinci Code 2000

There was a section on the Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Wikipedia article that addresses The Da Vinci Code connection:

"[Writer, Director, and Producer Charles] Cecil has said that the game's fanbase believes Dan Brown to have been influenced by Broken Sword when writing his novel, The Da Vinci Code, because of the parallels between the two works. Cecil stated that he is flattered by this sentiment, but that he would never claim so himself due to the threat of Brown's "very serious" lawyers. Joao Diniz Sanches of Pocket Gamer said Broken Sword's story is a "tale, some would argue, that effortlessly outclasses Dan Brown's similarly themed and tricksy novel." In an article about Broken Sword, Computer and Video Games described the Knights Templar legend as "great mythology to base a game on." They noted that Broken Sword "came out years before The Da Vinci Code made that sort of thing popular."

The writing and story in The Da Vinci Code are too similar to Shadow of the Templars to be a coincidence and don't believe for one second Dan Brown ever came up the idea on his own. I'm pretty confident Dan did a wholesale copy of the themes, settings, and even the characters. Take, for example, a French woman teaming up with an American to solve a murder mystery, her father's connection to a mysterious secret group, both of them discovering a cuneiform styled puzzle, a mysterious assassin, it takes places in France, and so forth. He appears to have engaged in the form of plagiarism ("to steal and pass off the ideas or words of another as one's own"). But as Charles noted he couldn't do anything about it because of "Brown's "very serious" lawyers." Man that just sucks. Brown rips off Cecil's hard work and becomes a billionaire in the process and a well-known author too boot.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2019, 03:58.

News Comments > Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit

20. Re: Riot Settles Gender Discrimination Suit Dec 3, 2019, 03:27  Kxmode 

I can see this thread is evidence that men have a long way to go.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 20:05  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 19:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 18:41:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 14:40:
Picked up a new System76 laptop.
Those are expensive and you still have to buy a separate Windows 10 license. that company will never make it /s
The question everyone wants to know the answer to is:
Can it run Crysis?

Do you need to ask if "76" is in the name?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

1. Re: YouTube is changing how it moderates violent video game content Dec 2, 2019, 20:01  Kxmode 

No doubt Stadia is the main cause. They can't blocked content that could be potentially recorded or stream-recorded from their fledgling service. Children are not at the top of their decision to do this no matter how they spin this.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 18:39  Kxmode 

Belated R.I.P.: 12/1: Lil Bub  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $250M

51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 2, 2019, 14:46  Kxmode 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:49:
"At what point did Star Citizen become a religion instead of a game, Dad?"

"Historians still disagree, son, but it was probably around the time they had gathered .25 BILLION dollars and no one even attempted to stop them."

I disagree. Try 20 million.

News Comments > Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced

2. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:41  Kxmode 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 14:37:
So this looks like it is based on the movie and not the book, which is a bummer.

wOuLd yOu LiKE tO KnOw MoRE?

News Comments > Steam Top 10

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2019, 16:51  Kxmode 

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 14:49:
Yeah well a heads-up would've been nice. I was always on the fence about the thing, and I would've bought it if I knew it'd be discontinued. Now it's OoS though, just like that. Valve really does give fuck all about their customers.

You shouldn't blame Valve for your inaction. You had plenty of time to buy one.

16991 Comments. 850 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >