Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min price Filter for SteamDB
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12527 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
47. Re: Into the Black Apr 12, 2017, 17:31 Kxmode

My reaction when I quote the president of the largest non-profit consumer organization in the U.S. for airline passengers and whose staff consist of doctors and lawyers responsible for ten passenger rights, and the response is "He's expressing his opinion." http://i.imgur.com/5E3mcgY.gif

This whole time I've seen civil rights tossed around. However, neither civil rights or civil liberties are consumer rights. It behooves you to learn the difference between civil rights and civil liberties as each provides different kinds of guarantees.

- Civil rights refer to equal conditions for all Americans.
- Civil liberties are protections against government actions. For example, the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights guarantees the Government cannot interfere with an individual's freedom of worship.

Americans have the guaranteed civil right to fly without discrimination (except those on No Fly Lists). Americans also have the civil liberty to choose any carrier they wish. Neither has any bearing on being forced to leave a plane. The point I'm making is the Airline's actions is a morality play. I think what they did is morally wrong, but it wasn't legally wrong or against civil and liberty rights. Hope the distinction is clearer.

Anyhow, since this is going nowhere I'm going to http://i.imgur.com/Gpa4i21.gif

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Bayonetta Released
14. Re: PC Bayonetta Released Apr 12, 2017, 16:42 Kxmode

Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 14:13:
Well to be honest, for once I completely agreed with that depressed fuck.

I agree. Although, I think CJ could've worded it a little less "crudely."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 16:36 Kxmode

Killer Kane wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:26:
I remember seeing some sort of "no spray" that deters this behavior

Windex. The Greeks know.

16. Re: Jupiter Has a Great 'Cold' Spot, Too. Apr 12, 2017, 15:13 Kxmode

Neptune: It's ALWAYS about you.
Jupiter: I can't help it. I'm kind of a big deal.
Saturn: Not that it MATTERS or anything...

45. Re: Into the Black Apr 12, 2017, 14:01 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 06:04:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 19:07:
Do U.S. Citizens have civil rights on a plane? [ ] Yes [ X ] No [ ] Maybe

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, but you keep saying this, and you are incorrect. Your civil rights are NOT suspended when you board an airplane. One oblique quote from a former attorney does not suspend the Constitution or any other state protection laws for citizens. Being on private property of any sort, flying or otherwise, does not suspend your civil rights.

You seem unable to understand this.

"Your regular civil rights donít apply when youíre on an airplane," said Paul Hudson of FlyersRights.org, the largest nonprofit airline consumer protection organization. "What you should do if you have a problem with a flight crew is to document it and file a complaint later. You have rights, but you have to exercise them once youíre off the flight."

Again, there's a confusion between regular (or public) civil rights and consumer rights. They're apples and oranges. A passenger on a private-run airline does not have civil rights to a seat. It's a business arrangement. Civil rights afford the ability to fly without discrimination. Being refused a ticket because of race or religion is an example of a violation of civil rights. Asking for volunteers to vacate a plane and then picking people at random is morally wrong, but it isn't a violation of civil rights.

- Civil Rights - A class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments, social organizations, and private individuals. No mention of private business.
- Consumer Rights - A group of laws and organizations designed to ensure the rights of consumers, as well as fair trade, competition, and accurate information in the marketplace. Specifically for private businesses.

Please learn the difference between both because one applies; the other does not.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2017, 14:17.

12. Re: PC Bayonetta Released Apr 12, 2017, 13:51 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 11:01:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 23:08:
"Hey kids! PC Gaming is dead!"

I believe PC, as a gaming platform, is the oldest continuous.

Can we really call it continuous? Or is it many different platforms that have rolled together?

I mean, can we play old DOS games in Windows 10? Yeah, using an emulator like DOSbox, much like we can play old Gameboy games using an emulator, but I wouldn't call that a continuous platform between modern Windows and a Gameboy.

I believe it is continuous since gaming is the primary driver for technology improvements. PC gaming also invented many of the things that are now standard on consoles (e.g. high definition, cloud-saving, digital downloads, online multiplayer, hard drive storage, and so forth). PCs remain "console fluid."

41. RE: Apr 11, 2017, 23:22 Kxmode

@Bumpy - Be careful with anything from Daily Mail. It's UK's rumor mill paper (like National Enquirer in the U.S.).  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 23:15 Kxmode

For National Pet Day I saved two dogs from abandonment. I also took two days off work due to the PTS from dealing with it all for six months.  

4. Re: PC Bayonetta Released Apr 11, 2017, 23:08 Kxmode

"Hey kids! PC Gaming is dead!"

I believe PC, as a gaming platform, is the oldest continuous.

News Comments > G2A Responds to Gearbox
18. RE: G2A Responds to Gearbox Apr 11, 2017, 19:47 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 08:18:
CD Keys.com does, and they don't change you extra bullshit changes for something. G2A even when you don't take their insurance tosses on an extra 50 cents to 2 dollars depending on the cost of what you are buying when you check out. Cd Keys does not do that.

I try to go through CDkeys.com (sell keys themselves) or Green Man Gaming (arrange deep discounts directly with the 500 publishers they work with; sometimes better than Steam). G2A, while nice, is riddled with too many issues.

News Comments > G2A Responds to Gearbox
17. Re: G2A Responds to Gearbox Apr 11, 2017, 19:36 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 10:43:
I don't understand why people bother with insurance. That's what credit cards are for. Paypal will always issue a chargeback if there's a problem and refund your money.

That's the problem. Developers are being hit with charge backs and losing tons of money. At least one indie dev has been forced to close because of it, but there are multiple reports of it happening by many developers. They are responsible for the chargebacks, not the credit card company or PayPal.

I'm not 100%, but I believe this is a direct result of the EMV technology (Chip and PIN). It was created to protect traditional brick and mortar businesses but does NOTHING for eCommerce. Under the stripe system, the card issuer is responsible for fraud transactions. The EMV system changed the rules so that the company, not the card issuer, is now responsible for the bulk of fraud purchases. Whenever EMV was adopted eCommerce saw a significant increase in Card-Not-Present (CNP) fraud. Most medium to large firms can handle it with services and staff to weed out fraud orders, but smaller companies like that indie dev, are getting hit hard with fraud expenses.

I did extensive research into EMV ahead of the U.S. transition to it. I wanted to let my boss know what's coming and what our company could do to mitigate the sizeable spike in CNP fraud.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 19:27 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 08:50:
Bodolza wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 14:14:
Some of us find most sports mind-numbingly boring. I don't get how someone can be interested in watching the same thing over and over and over again for hours on end.

It's almost like different people have different taste in things

Which is perfectly fine as long as those tastes don't involve the Bible, am I right?

39. removed Apr 11, 2017, 19:20 Kxmode

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 12, 2017, 07:50.

38. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 19:07 Kxmode

At the risk of injecting civility into the discussion (because it looks some are foaming at the mouth; looking at you Agent-Zero). I think we're talking past each other. It would be good to establish some facts so that going forward we can at least discuss this on about the same level. Here's my response:

Did the Airline do the moral thing? [ ] Yes [ X ] No [ ] Maybe

Do U.S. Citizens have civil rights on a plane? [ ] Yes [ X ] No [ ] Maybe

Do U.S. Citizens have consumer rights on a plane? [ X ] Yes [ ] No [ ] Maybe

When U.S. Citizens purchase airline tickets, do they enter into a private agreement with the carrier? [ X ] Yes [ ] No [ ] Maybe

Does the airline have the ability to revoke or modify a ticket for any reason? [ X ] Yes [ ] No [ ] Maybe (A person entering into a business transaction with each carrier follows a contract. For United Airlines they have 30 rules)

Can the police request and then remove by force any non-compliant person? [ X ] Yes [ ] No [ ] Maybe

15. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 03:21 Kxmode

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 16:42:
some people like a new narrative, other people like delving more into minutiae and statistics. i can dig both sides, and personally get tired of sports pretty quickly too. my immediate thought when tv shows becoming repetitive is mentioned is The Walking Dead. I'm about to drop that permanently from rotation soon here unless things shake up quite a bit. Also made me think of how much I'm looking forward to the new season of Better Call Saul.

I have no desire to watch the series. However, I assume if the series ends without a cure a lot of people are going to be upset they wasted time watching something with no real ending.

News Comments > NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: ULTIMATE NINJA STORM LEGACY
5. Re: [ Apr 11, 2017, 01:42 Kxmode

ViRGE wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:23:
Undih wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 21:20:
GOD DAMN CAPS, My brain does not like this shit!
Seriously. Stop yelling at us, Blue. We're dumb, not deaf!

But he's yelling at us in AMERICAN CONSUMER DIALECT EXTREME ALPHA JAPANESE!

28. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 11, 2017, 01:22 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 00:46:
The fact that you think you have no civil rights in any of these situations is somewhat horrifying. Sure, a business can ask you to leave, but you had better believe, for THIS particular situation, both the airline and the police can and hopefully will be sued, for a variety of charges, including violations of this doctor's civil rights.

At no point are anyone's civil rights suspended because they are involved in a business transaction. How on earth did you ever get to that point mentally?

The fact that United was bumping passengers to move their own employees will also definitely figure into any upcoming court cases.

It's not just me.

"Your regular civil rights donít apply when youíre on an airplane," said Paul Hudson of FlyersRights.org, the largest nonprofit airline consumer protection organization. "What you should do if you have a problem with a flight crew is to document it and file a complaint later. You have rights, but you have to exercise them once youíre off the flight."

You're confusing civil rights with consumer rights. It's apples and oranges. They're not the same. A passenger on a private-run airline does not have a civil right to that seat. The only thing civil rights afford is the ability to fly on a plane without discrimination. For example, the airline refusing to sell you a ticket because of your race or religion.

23. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 11, 2017, 00:15 Kxmode

ZeroPike1 wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:51:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:36:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 22:49:
Kxmode, if you are not being sarcastic; no, you still have civil rights on board an airplane. The rule of law is not suspended because it's a 'private business.' Assault is still assault.

Emotion and not logic are driving the majority reaction to this situation. People forget that there are no civil rights when you're dealing with a business transaction, just like there are no civil rights when you order a Big Mac from McDonald's. The airlines, while under the jurisdiction of the TSA, FAA, and NTSB, are private businesses. Please don't confuse public civil rights with private companies. Also, resisting the orders of a police officer can result in a felony or misdemeanor depending on the state. It is no less different than a person resisting arrest. Being seated on an airplane is completely irrelevant.

OK fair enough, if you buy a pizza at a grocery store and get told to leave the store for no reason but you were randomly selected to get tossed. Then you would not complain if they smash your head into something while they drag you out by force? You better NOT complain, because you are justifying there actions and saying its somehow ok.

Yes, except on the airplane the crew didn't smash his head into something while being drag you out by force; the police did that. They have jurisdiction to use force to remove an uncompliant person. They would use the same force against a patron who refuses to leave a business after being repeatedly asked to leave. I think people believe the airlines is part of the government like the Post Office. It's not. Airlines are as private as McDonald's and Walgreens. Yes, airlines have a ton more laws governing them, but this is only because the odds of dying in a plane are significantly higher than eating a Big Mac.

22. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 00:09 Kxmode

Will W wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:54:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:36:

Emotion and not logic are driving the majority reaction to this situation. People forget that there are no civil rights when you're dealing with a business transaction, just like there are no civil rights when you order a Big Mac from McDonald's. The airlines, while under the jurisdiction of the TSA, FAA, and NTSB, are private businesses. Please don't confuse public civil rights with private companies. Also, resisting the orders of a police officer can result in a felony or misdemeanor depending on the state. It is no less different than a person resisting arrest. Being seated on an airplane is completely irrelevant.

Civil rights include such things as not being denied service based on race (or other protected status) . They certainly do apply to private companies.

The only time civil rights apply is if the TSA, FAA, and (or) the NTSB were to imposed some law that discriminated against a group based on whatever (e.g. race, religion, gender, and so forth). The airlines would have no choice but to comply with the law. People wouldn't go after the airlines, they would go after the government who created the law that violates civil rights in the first place. Do you get it now?

This situation is Civics 101-level stuff. You should know this. Teachers taught it in high school alongside Sociology and History.

19. Re: Into the Black Apr 10, 2017, 23:47 Kxmode

1badmf wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:28:
overbooking should be straight up illegal. they shouldn't be allowed to sell something they don't have, which is a seat on the plane once it's fully booked up. it's flat out choosing greed over people.

Plenty of places overbook. Cinemas, stadiums, restaurants. Should it be illegal there as well? Most would say no. So why is it a problem with the airlines? The fundamental issue is aggressively impatience people coupled with uncomfortable situations like being on an airplane. It's a stick of dynamite ready to explode. The doctor, while professional, doesn't preclude him from being an impatient person (in the form of being unresponsive to the staff and police demands to exit). His lack of patience caused the outcome. That's his fault.

12527 Comments. 627 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo