Total Posts
17152 (Ninja)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

17152 Comments. 858 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    858  ] Older

Re: Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Released
Jun 5, 2020, 14:04
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Released Jun 5, 2020, 14:04
Jun 5, 2020, 14:04
 Kxmode

Welcome back, Commander.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed
Jun 5, 2020, 01:49
Kxmode

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed Jun 5, 2020, 01:49
Jun 5, 2020, 01:49
 Kxmode

Oh sweet!!!! I have this and boy is it impossible to play on 4K.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Launch Plans
Jun 5, 2020, 01:47
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Launch Plans Jun 5, 2020, 01:47
Jun 5, 2020, 01:47
 Kxmode

Silent Bob wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 23:42:
I’m still in disbelief. Are you sure that this is EA we’re talking about? Electronic Arts???

No Origin requirement. A full source code release under an open source license. It’s like they’re actually saying thank you to the fans. I preordered and I never preorder anything.

It would appear so. I only see "Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection EULA." No mention of Origin.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 4, 2020, 15:42
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2020, 15:42
Jun 4, 2020, 15:42
 Kxmode

Renders in the browser via three.js. It's not a video, but a JavaScript rendered demo. More three.js demos here.

Re: Op Ed - Cloud Gaming
Jun 4, 2020, 12:24
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed - Cloud Gaming Jun 4, 2020, 12:24
Jun 4, 2020, 12:24
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 10:00:
Jonjonz wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 06:30:
Publishers reacted the same way, with all the same rhetoric and posing when digital music sales and later streaming first surfaced. Same thing with CDs and epub. First denial and fear, then begrudged experimentation, exclusives and finally full acceptance that hey this thing works and it is profitable, we knew it all along and actually thought of the whole thing.

Cloud gaming will eventually become the dominant form of game distribution because it offers the least friction to publisher, customer and everyone in the chain, like music streaming does.

Current infrastructure is not totally up to snuff, but it is good enough to satisfy the average gamer.

Kind of.
Streaming music is not very profitable for anyone but streaming platforms. Spotify makes a lot of money. Labels and performers, not so much. You hardly hear anything about labels anymore, whereas they used to be huge.
Of course, for bands, they've also made it easy to get up and running and reach a wider audience to make money on touring, how most bands made their money. But streaming definitely sped the increase in bands/performers "selling out" and doing far more endorsements to find new ways to monetize their work.

For video, there's a reason why so many publishers are trying to create their own platform to own their own content, and why Netflix is getting fewer and fewer non-Amazon products.

Music lost control. Every other industry is trying to ensure that doesn't happen.

Streaming music and video is also easier than streaming video games. Games need a lot of bandwidth to make the presentation smooth and playable.

I think low-cost services like nVidia's Geforce Now and Shadow are great. They simply add another way to play a game instead of replacing local hardware.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 4, 2020, 12:17
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2020, 12:17
Jun 4, 2020, 12:17
 Kxmode

EA released Dragon Age 2 on Steam.

Re: Project CARS 3 Announced
Jun 4, 2020, 08:44
Kxmode

Re: Project CARS 3 Announced Jun 4, 2020, 08:44
Jun 4, 2020, 08:44
 Kxmode

That's a nice-looking Need For Speed game.

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week
Jun 4, 2020, 08:39
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jun 4, 2020, 08:39
Jun 4, 2020, 08:39
 Kxmode

Tigger wrote on May 28, 2020, 12:46:
Kxmode wrote on May 28, 2020, 05:54:
That's okay. You can use 1337.me.

Nice, thanks. Very similar to crontab.guru

Goodness. Domains are getting way too goofy. Giggle

Re: EA Makes Black Lives Matter Contributions
Jun 4, 2020, 08:17
Kxmode

Re: EA Makes Black Lives Matter Contributions Jun 4, 2020, 08:17
Jun 4, 2020, 08:17
 Kxmode

Wry wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 02:03:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 20:08:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 16:56:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 13:46:
"Give $10 to charity. Then spend $100 telling everyone you gave to charity."

Hmm, they donated $1M then spent maybe $1000 on a press release. Not sure what you're referring to exactly.

It comes from experience working with large corporations. They have a budget for these types of gifts. The amount set aside for charity is the smallest possible but large enough to appear like a lot. The other part of the budget is always bigger and it goes to marketing to promote their "wonderful" generosity. Here it just reeks of insincerity. It is a business move to buy positive PR on the cheap. A "million" sounds like a lot, but in EA's case is a drop compared to the 5.15 BILLION they made last year. It wouldn't surprise me if the total is $5-10 million. $1 million for the charity; the rest went to advertise and promote their "goodness."

I think it's hard to complain about a company donating money to a relevant at the time good cause since it makes you look silly. (atleast I don't feel comfortable doing it myself despite my cynical view on the matter)

It might not be much money to them but a million is still a lot of money and it sure beats just making a statement and not doing anything meaningful about it.

I am merely calling out EA for jumping aboard a bandwagon of giving and then bombastically proclaiming, "Look how generous we are!" when in reality, all they offered was 0.0002% of their income. It's akin to a person who makes $100K a year giving $25 to charity and then spending $1,000 in a newspaper telling everyone how generous they are. I'm not too fond of companies who blow their own horn ahead of their paltry gift giving. If they genuinely cared about the cause, they would 1) give significantly more, and 2) not advertise that they did so. There are thousands of small, medium, and large businesses that support charities and causes and never publicize it.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2020, 08:29.

Re: Op Ed - Cloud Gaming
Jun 4, 2020, 08:07
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed - Cloud Gaming Jun 4, 2020, 08:07
Jun 4, 2020, 08:07
 Kxmode

Jonjonz wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 06:30:
Publishers reacted the same way, with all the same rhetoric and posing when digital music sales and later streaming first surfaced. Same thing with CDs and epub. First denial and fear, then begrudged experimentation, exclusives and finally full acceptance that hey this thing works and it is profitable, we knew it all along and actually thought of the whole thing.

Cloud gaming will eventually become the dominant form of game distribution because it offers the least friction to publisher, customer and everyone in the chain, like music streaming does.

Current infrastructure is not totally up to snuff, but it is good enough to satisfy the average gamer.

Cloud Gaming cannot work as long as the underlining infrastructure doesn't exist. It has to get to a point where broadband Internet is as common as a utility. To that end, the FCC published a report in 2018 that concluded US Internet speeds are "among worst in the developed world." Many areas in the US have limited or no Internet. But those living there can still use local hardware via a console or PC as long as they have electricity.

Re: EB Games Offering Previously Denied Fallout 76 Refunds in AU
Jun 4, 2020, 08:00
Kxmode

Re: EB Games Offering Previously Denied Fallout 76 Refunds in AU Jun 4, 2020, 08:00
Jun 4, 2020, 08:00
 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 07:51:
I complained about Redeye doing it to my posts, so you might be thinking of that.

Maybe. The past few months have felt blurry.

Re: Command & Conquer Source Code
Jun 4, 2020, 03:12
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Source Code Jun 4, 2020, 03:12
Jun 4, 2020, 03:12
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 02:36:
What is Target_Legal(NavCom) I wonder...

https://tinyurl.com/ydyc9su3

/***********************************************************************************************
* Target_Legal -- Determines if the specified target is legal. *
* This routine is used to check for the legality of the target value specified. It is *
* necessary to call this routine if there is doubt about the the legality of the target. *
* It is possible for the unit that a target value represents to be eliminated and thus *
* rendering the target value invalid. *
* INPUT: target -- The target value to check. *
* OUTPUT: bool; Is the target value legal? *
* WARNINGS: none *
* HISTORY: *
* 05/27/1994 JLB : Created. *
*=============================================================================================*/
bool Target_Legal(TARGET target)
{
if (target == TARGET_NONE) return(false);

ObjectClass * obj = As_Object(target, false);
if (obj) {
return(obj->IsActive);
}
return(true);
}

https://tinyurl.com/y8dz9bar

/*
** This is the desired destination of the unit. The unit will attempt to head
** toward this target (avoiding intervening obstacles).
*/
TARGET NavCom;

So it looks like a check to ensure the value for the unit's desired destination is valid. Likely pathing AI.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2020, 03:30.

Re: EB Games Offering Previously Denied Fallout 76 Refunds in AU
Jun 4, 2020, 03:02
Kxmode

Re: EB Games Offering Previously Denied Fallout 76 Refunds in AU Jun 4, 2020, 03:02
Jun 4, 2020, 03:02
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 16:47:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 03:46:
[rest snipped]
I'm on this site regularly. I sincerely don't remember complaints, but I think it should officially become Rule #5. Perhaps, not worded as "Don't FTFY quotes." Instead, something like how Blue states it, "Please refrain from attributing edited quotes to others. Instead, respect the author's original comment by leaving it intact. You may, however, trim the original comment for brevity." I'm on board for that.

Huh, I thought you were one of the original complainers actually. Redeye was modifying your stuff often for a while there. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

No. That was people routinely posting snide comments directed at me without quoting me (e.g., "talking about me behind my back" antics). If someone wants to say something to me, then say something to me. I always respect people by quoting them when I reply, so I expect it in return.

My complaints with Redeye came from him routinely attacking me personally because of my religious beliefs and to the point where his comments got removed. He's toned it down, to which I say thank you. I also try not to post too many religious things since most appear to lose their minds in response. It's not like you all don't go ape-crazy over political matters. The last thing I want to do is toss gasoline on that.

Re: Op Ed
Jun 4, 2020, 02:46
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2020, 02:46
Jun 4, 2020, 02:46
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 02:31:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 00:42:
"Will" implies absolute certainty. I can't entirely agree with that premise.

It will happen. It's the holy grail: publishers retain total control over the product. No more cheating or wares sites. That said, it will be a long time coming. In order to not lose sales, a streaming-only game depends on a critical mass of very high-speed infrastructure, say 80% of major markets (N.A, Europe, China-South Korea-Japan) or so. It will be many years before this exists in enough places in the world to make this feasible. And it will happen first to large publishers and AAA titles. Indie titles will probably always have installable .exes.

Also, I responded to you in our FTFY thread.

Publishers need us more than WE need them. WE tell publishers what to do by the absolute fact that WE control their existence. When WE don't support something, they know it. That was on full display with Stadia, Google's failed attempt to make cloud gaming mandatory. A failure that forced big industry publishers like UbiSoft to acknowledge.

Re: Op Ed
Jun 4, 2020, 00:42
Kxmode

Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2020, 00:42
Jun 4, 2020, 00:42
 Kxmode

"Will" implies absolute certainty. I can't entirely agree with that premise.

Jun 3, 2020, 20:12
Kxmode

Re: EA Makes Black Lives Matter Contributions Jun 3, 2020, 20:12
Jun 3, 2020, 20:12
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 19:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 17:00:
Hmm, they donated $1M then spent maybe $1000 on a press release. Not sure what you're referring to exactly.
####
It costs a thousand to send an email?
That's ok, I'll just write a check.

Dood. They have an entire webpage dedicated to this announcement. AN ENTIRE WEBPAGE.

Well it's like I always used to say, "If it ain't Geocities, it ain't cheap."

Jun 3, 2020, 20:08
Kxmode

Re: EA Makes Black Lives Matter Contributions Jun 3, 2020, 20:08
Jun 3, 2020, 20:08
 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 13:46:
"Give $10 to charity. Then spend $100 telling everyone you gave to charity."

It comes from experience working with large corporations. They have a budget for these types of gifts. The amount set aside for charity is the smallest possible but large enough to appear like a lot. The other part of the budget is always bigger and it goes to marketing to promote their "wonderful" generosity. Here it just reeks of insincerity. It is a business move to buy positive PR on the cheap. A "million" sounds like a lot, but in EA's case is a drop compared to the 5.15 BILLION they made last year. It wouldn't surprise me if the total is $5-10 million. $1 million for the charity; the rest went to advertise and promote their "goodness."

Jun 3, 2020, 19:41
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Source Code Jun 3, 2020, 19:41
Jun 3, 2020, 19:41
 Kxmode

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/REDALERT/INFANTRY.CPP

void InfantryClass::Fear_AI(void)
{
/*
** After a time, the infantry will gain courage.
*/
if (Fear > 0) {
/*
** When in darkness or in doubt,
** run in circles, scream, and shout.
*/
if (Class->IsFraidyCat && Fear > FEAR_ANXIOUS && !IsFalling && !IsDriving && !Target_Legal(NavCom)) {
Scatter(0, true);
}
}
}

Giggle

Jun 3, 2020, 19:27
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Source Code Jun 3, 2020, 19:27
Jun 3, 2020, 19:27
 Kxmode

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/REDALERT/INFANTRY.H

/*
** If the infantry is allowed to move one cell from one zone to another, then this
** flag will be true. It exists only so that when a bridge is destroyed, the bomb
** placer is allowed to run from the destroyed bridge cell back onto a real cell.
*/
IsZoneCheat:1;

TIL Soldiers who blow up bridges are Zone Cheaters.

Re: MY.GAMES Offers Developers 90/10 Split
Jun 3, 2020, 13:52
Kxmode

Re: MY.GAMES Offers Developers 90/10 Split Jun 3, 2020, 13:52
Jun 3, 2020, 13:52
 Kxmode

In full disclosure: "myGames is a collection of PC and mobile games, based on a freemium model." The service is owned and operated by My.com. source "My.com is an international subsidiary of Mail.Ru company that offers games and Internet-related services and products." source "Mail.Ru Group, ООО (commonly referred to as Mail.Ru) is a Russian internet company." source
17152 Comments. 858 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    858  ] Older