Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 11888 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Early Access
6. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Early Access Dec 29, 2016, 19:56 Kxmode

Early Access. Nope.  

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 12:16 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 10:13:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 00:22:
Here are all the people I know who were killed by Sith Lord 2016:

you dont know these people... you know "of" them

Thanks. You're quite right.

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 10:13:
honestly i dont understand the concept of "celebrity worship" and mourning their deaths as if they are part of your family with which you share biological bonds and intimate life experiences of a very personal nature

I'm not worshipping celebrities. I'm acknowledging their talents in the various forms that affected my life. From the laughs provided, to the admiration for their skills, to the memorable music, to the cheers of overcoming the odds and winning the battles. For it all, I thank them.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
64. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 29, 2016, 01:49 Kxmode

Posted this on the RIS forums on July 2015.

Development Theatre Narrator: As many of you know CD Project Red is an indie publisher like CIG. They developed Witcher 3 in 3 years with a new engine. To date, they do not have an EA or an Activision funding their projects. They self-published their products. In total, they spent $35 million developing and another $30 million to advertise. We're almost four years into SC's development, and we still do not have half a game. Here on Development Theatre, we would like to recreate the scene involving Alex Mayberry's "personal reasons" for leaving.

*Starring Rowan Atkinson as Alex, and Hugh Laurie as Chris*

INT DAY:

Alex enters Chris' office, concerned. Chris gestures him to his chair.

Chris: Alex, old boy, what's on your mind? You look to be in a terrible way.
Alex: Chris, I love this project and all, but I need, to be honest with you. The game you proposed and want to make is going to take a frightful spell longer. We simply don't have the king's gold or king's time to accomplish this.
Chris: Shakespeare's bollocks! So what do you propose?
Alex: We need to scale back the game to what was promised in the Kickstarter campaign. We need to scale back the number of systems at launch to no more than 5. People will still get the FPS module and their ships, and we'll bring new systems online, but we have got to complete this project soon. We're almost at four years in a couple of months. We need to be realistic.
Chris: LOOK! I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY I WANT THIS GAME TO BE MY DREAM. LIKE STAR WARS.
Alex: It's not doable with the funds and time. We need to scale down.
Chris: Poppycock! Tis my way good sir!
Alex: I hate to do this Chris, but you leave me no choice.
Chris: What are you saying?
Alex: Effective immediately I resign my position.
Chris: Holy Macbeth!
Alex: Aahhhhh! Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends.

Development Theatre Narrator: Now onto the matter of the FPS module. The 20 million stretch goal stated, and I quote, "First person combat on select lawless planets. Donít just battle on space stations and platformsÖ take the fight to the ground!" A million dollars committed to the FPS module. So either CIG didn't know how much it would really cost to create a AAA-quality FPS or Illfonic lied to them on how much it would cost. Here at Development Theatre we would like to recreate the initial meeting.

*Starring Mr. T. as Illfonic, and Hugh Laurie as Chris*

Chris [to Illfonic]: Gentlemen, as you know I am on a quest to make the most glorious space adventure that ever was. I would like to make this grand adventure even more epic by adding an FPS module. I would like to concentrate on select lawless planets, space stations, and platforms. We have secured a million from many. This is where you chaps come in. Can this be done for a million?
Illfonic: *whispering under their breath* I pity the fool...
Chris: What was that?
Illfonic: A million. Yeah, Illfonic can do that. Illfonic work for a million.
Chris: Great! Let's see your resume of published work.
Illfonic: What you talkin about, resume?
Chris: So, how can I know if it will cost a million.
Illfonic: Illfonic good. Illfonic making a fly demo for AMD's nextgen Radeon card!
Chris: That works for me.

They sign the paperwork.

Thank you for watching this two-part special edition of Development Theatre.

---

The thread was closed by a Mod for not being "particularly constructive."

63. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 29, 2016, 01:32 Kxmode

My favorite comments from October.

KarmaKillers: If I started growing a beard now, and didnít shave until Squadron 42 released, on a scale of 1 Ė 10 mountain men, how mountain man would I be?

mad-professor: A mountain giant.

Heavylead: Gandalf?

leatherfoot: Depends on follicle growth rate, divided by feature creep ratio.

62. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 29, 2016, 01:08 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:52:
descender wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:18:
Like Kxmode I've gone in deep with SC and pledged north of $1K

I... oh. Well, rant away then I guess.
or Unlike kxmode, he bailed.

To clarify, I got a refund when it became apparent the project wasn't what Chris pitched it to be in 2012-2013, and even more so when the open hostility on the RSI forums whenever I asked about deliverables and scope issues opened my eyes to the cult-like status of Citizen backers. That being said CIG has done the honorable thing and issued refunds to the present. For example, this person recently got their $9k back. And here I thought my $930 was a lot.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 00:24 Kxmode

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 21:20:

It's just a stellar year. My aunt passed today as well.

I hate this fucking year...

Wow, Truly sorry for your loss. Sending you a virtual hug.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 00:22 Kxmode

Here are all the people I know who were killed by Sith Lord 2016:

12/28 - Debbie Reynolds (84) - stroke
12/27 - Carrie Fisher (60) - heart attack
12/25 - George Michael (53) - suspected heart failure
12/18 - Zsa Zsa Gabor (99) heart attack
12/13 - Alan Thicke (69) - heart attack
11/24 - Florence Henderson (82) - heart failure
11/11 - Robert Vaughn (83) - acute leukemia
09/25 - Arnold Palmer (87) - heart failure (likely)
09/01 - Jon Polito (65) - cancer
08/29 - Gene Wilder (83) - complications from Alzheimer's
06/19 - Anton Yelchin (27) - freak car accident
06/11 - Christina Grimmie (22) - shot following concert at meet-and-greet
06/03 - Muhammad Ali (74) - respiratory problems
04/21 - Prince (57) - accidental Fentanyl overdose
04/17 - Doris Roberts (90) - stroke
03/24 - Garry Shandling (66) - heart attack
02/28 - George Kennedy (91) - heart ailment
02/25 - Tony Burton (78) - pneumonia complications
02/15 - George Gaynes (98) - natural causes
01/26 - Abe Vigoda (94) - natural causes
01/15 - Dan Haggerty aka Grizzly Adams (73) - spinal cancer
01/14 - Alan Rickman (69) - pancreatic cancer
01/10 - Davie Bowie (69) - cancer

Truly, it was the worst of times.

News Comments > Blizzard Celebrating 20 Years of Diablo
5. Re: Blizzard Celebrating 20 Years of Diablo Dec 28, 2016, 23:52 Kxmode

Strange things are afoot in the world of Azeroth as denizens of Sanctuary cross over into an unfamiliar world.

Legacy confirmed?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 19:23 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 19:13:
2016 is not finished.
Debbie Reynolds, mother of Carrie fisher, rushed to hospital for possible stoke. EGADs

I'm beginning to suspect 2016 is really a Sith Lord!

53. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 18:02 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:17:
Big Pharma is not altruistic in the least. There are generics because the government sets the patent expiration for drugs at 20 years. Don't fool yourself: the drug companies salivate at Disney's 90 and 120 copyright expirations. And they develop slight modifications of existing drugs, market them and get approval as new drugs, and then sell them at the protected price even though they're not any better than existing drugs. And don't even get me started on Skreli or Epipen.

Fortunately they are one of the more heavily regulated industries, so the damaging aspects of capitalism are mitigated and they're able to provide an overall good. Could see that change under Trump, who wants to deregulate a lot of stuff. Wait until "market forces" come into play because of 100s of people dying from a bad drug.

Authorized generics are authorized by the pharmaceutical typically after their 180-day (3-year) exclusivity period. This is to allow them to recoup their costs for R&D and approval. This is precisely why in 2012 that aforementioned $180 30/day supply was now available to me in 30/day generic form for $10. In other words, I didn't have to wait 20 years for a generic to become available.

Regardless of regulation and Wall Street, the process of bringing a drug to market is strict. For example, pharmaceuticals need to file an Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) with the FDA that seeks to demonstrate therapeutic equivalence to a previously approved "reference-listed drug." They must prove they can manufacture the drug safely and consistently. For an ANDA application to be approved, the FDA requires the bioequivalence of a generic drug to be between 80% and 125% of the innovator product. Additionally, the FDA adds the generic drug to its Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations list (ADPTEE) and annotates the list to show equivalence between the reference-listed drug and the generic. There are also laws and regulations that generic pharmaceutical companies must follow but the overall scope of these regulations is to protect the public. (Information gleaned from Wikipedia with references.)

That being said are their issues with gross misconduct? Absolutely. But this is the exception instead of the rule. For the most part, the FDA helps make medicine less expensive for all.

55. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 28, 2016, 12:28 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 07:57:
When found wrong, instead of admitting it, some change the definition and double down.

There's nothing to admit. I've already stated ad nauseum that my use of Ponzi wasn't the literal definition.

54. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 28, 2016, 12:23 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 05:05:
Vaporware is the opposite of something that is playable. Even if it only is an alpha test, which is better than shipping a product that is an Alpha *cough* NMS *cough* , no?

Playability has nothing to do with a game that is classified as vaporware. The literal definitions are:

+ "software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."

+ "a product which is never released but never cancelled."

+ "refer to products that are released far behind schedule, or heavily-promoted products that do not actually exist."

Star Citizen meets all the criteria for being called vaporware by the fact that:

- heavily promoted
- far behind schedule
- excessive scope creep of features that do not yet exist
- hasn't been released or canceled
- hasn't reached gold status

While I loath NMS it is not vaporware considering that it reached gold status and was released regardless of the lack of features. If Chris Roberts were to release Star Citizen today it would no longer be called vaporware; but, of course, it wouldn't be a playable game either. But that's a topic for another discussion.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 12:06 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 05:22:
How does Big Pharma work? Hint: every customer who is actually HEALED from his sickness by medical treatment is a LOST customer. So... Keep 'em paying. Keep 'em addicted. Keep 'em sick, but make them feel better.

No disrespect but this is an absolute fallacy. This is dangerous thinking because if you have family members in need of medical care it could lead to poor judgments that might endanger their life.

News Comments > Into the Black
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2016, 02:03 Kxmode

Tom wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 02:02:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 01:38:
Sir Paul? I was thinking about the other Sirs: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anthony Hopkins, and Ian Holmes. Oh please, don't let them die. :(

Do you think they'll live forever? Only Jonathan Frakes can do that.

Well, none of those Sirs have a clone.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 01:57 Kxmode

I think believing Big Pharma is evil is blown out of proportion. Do I think the ethics of being a publically traded company gives pause? Sure, but does this make them bad? No. Do they do good? Of course. How? One way is they provide several million in aid to third-world countries comparable to that country's GDP. They also offer low-cost alternatives in the form of authorized generics. All my prescriptions are generics costing $5-$10 for a 30-90 day supply. Before a generic was available with my insurance one was $180 for a 30-day supply. Keep in mind Big Pharma spends billions to R&D new drugs and go through the FDA approval process. In 2014, is cost 2.6 billion to bring a new chemical entity to market (this includes FDA approval). If I were a shareholder, I would require they recoup their costs. Consider: if they were truly greedy, there wouldn't be generics. Thankfully, there are for most.  

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 01:38 Kxmode

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 21:12:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 20:58:
We have 5 days to go folks, stay at home, call loved ones, stock up on medical supplies/etc, cause lord only knows what can happen in 5 days.

Sir Paul is being placed in lockdown...

Sir Paul? I was thinking about the other Sirs: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anthony Hopkins, and Ian Holmes. Oh please, don't let them die.

46. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 28, 2016, 01:26 Kxmode

Dacron wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 00:37:
Jesus, you talked shit you did not know about, and rather than concede you talked beyond your experience, you try to act like your assumptions were correct.

Here's the definition for metaphor and illustration. There's nothing to concede when I made it clear the word wasn't literal. "In its basic form" from my initial post is like saying "In illustration" or "Metaphorically,". Has nothing to do with money as you seem to be hung up on.

44. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 28, 2016, 00:19 Kxmode

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 23:29:
I've referred to Star Citizen as a ponzi scheme before because it seems like new 'investment' is needed to keep previous 'investors' happy that the project is going somewhere but you're correct and it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I don't think it's actually a scam, just something that's got out of control.

This^

In other words, it's not a literal Ponzi scheme in the truest sense but has many of the same enrichment symptoms for those who bought into it early like LTI and early concept ships that haven't been created.

37. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 18:26 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 16:40:
You can buy Star Citizen right now and download something that is playable. This is not vaporware. There are regular updates about Star Citizen, you can see the development of the title progressing, there are playable modules you can download and play right this very minute.

You can't call something that's in early alpha a delivered product until it reaches gold status and is a published product. It will remain vaporware because of the massive out of scope promises made.

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2016, 18:44.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2016, 16:01 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:45:
Until then ... religions ... will be the only ones that profit. While the rest of society suffers.

I don't understand the correlation. Could you explain?

11888 Comments. 595 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo